Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

Ben Affleck may just be better behind the camera than he is in front of it -- and I mean that in a good way. I don't know why DC ever felt Snyder would propel them to greatness. Looks to be a great move, but time will tell.

I finally saw Civil War, and to be honest I don't feel great about it. Like you could understand Tony and Cap's motivations, but like it was just edging before an orgasm... except the orgasm never came. And let me tell you about Blue Balls, they suck. They are the worst, and Avenger movies should not be giving me blue balls.

Things I liked:

Fight scenes and choreography were sick and enjoyable. You can tell they spent a lot of time with that shit, trying to get everyone to have witty repartee with each other at the right time.

Spider-man was cool. Well not cool, but like dorky cool. Felt very in the spirit of the character.

Black Panther was the best part of the movie, he spent the entire movie just being the biggest, smoothest badass, and he's the only one who seemed to figure out about this whole cycle of hatred thing right when it mattered the most. I'm fine with treating this as pre game hype for the Black Panther movie though.

Things I didn't like as much:

This movie dragged on. And i mean I understand where they were coming from, but they just had too much to pack into a short amount of time with the introduction of a bunch of new characters, the major conflicts and all that crap.

A lot of the characters dragged into the conflict didn't really have strong motivations for the side they were on. I mean, clearly they had to focus on Tony and Cap, and that's fine. But like you didn't need Hawkeye there, you didn't need Ant-Man there, it felt like they were just risking their biscuits for nothing.

Zemo being a virtual non presence in the ending climax. It was thematically appropriate, but like what was he expecting to do if only Cap and Bucky showed up? Hide in his bunker and wait out the two of them eventually opening up the place?

Overall I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't say it wowed me like Winter Soldier, the first Avengers or the first Iron Man. Very mixed feelings on it overall. It wanted to be a character-centric drama, but they spent too much time putzing around with the secondary characters to really realize that conflict to it's full extent.

I'm starting to think that Zack Snyder didn't ruin BvS. It wouldn't make sense that he's directing a Star Wars film if he did.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.
Snyder is directing a Star Wars film. Don't see Disney putting a bad director on any of their films, especially a franchise they just got. Edited by Sparty

Once a month superhero thread post go:

I've seen Civil War a few times now. From the castings to the re-worked for cinema storyline, and especially I thought from a directorial standpoint, it was great, and personally has supplanted the first Avengers movie as my favorite super movie so far. It's really hard to make so many actors, especially big stars work together and fill the screen-space well and meaningfully. BvS struggled to do it with 3ish, but the Russo brothers held together that epic cast while still keeping you into the idea that it was a Captain America movie to begin with. I'm really glad that they're going to be heading up the Infinity Wars movies... I love what Joss Whedon brings to the table, but I think the Russos get comic fans and the universe in a similar way and know how to deliver.

The biggest thing I was worried about was the plot. The actual Civil War storyline is immense, and involves probably over 100 heroes, and I didn't think that it would be possible to get that same effect in a couple hours and with just the handful of characters available to this franchise. It handled it well enough, but the way things have shaped out I don't know if a lot of things I wanted to happen can now.

If they're going to do a Planet Hulk movie/series, and further upon that World War Hulk, maybe my favorite comic runs ever, it's going to have to be massively reworked. They did it once, but this would definitely be a stretch. Maybe Hulk does something in Infinity Wars that makes the crew want to send him away. That's not even considering the Illuminati and all that which I can't see even being remotely possible at this point. Still not even sure what his role in Thor 3 is going to be, but I can't wait to see it. This could be when he goes, idk, but I don't think he's officially penned in for Infinity Wars yet (though I dunno how the team wins without him).

As far as the movie's revenue, one thing that definitely hurt (well more like nicked with as much as it has made) that grand total was that there was a pretty high quality copy of it on the pirate web within days of its release. I personally (and shamefully) didn't see it in theatres. I'm positive that with the tens of thousands of seeders that I'm not the only one.

Anyway, onto TV. I absolutely loved the last few episodes of The Flash. The speed force episode was epic. Unfortunately, the finale of the finale was super stupid and typical CW nonsense.

So Barry just chose to stand there and watch his father get murdered? HE'S FUCKING FASTER THAN ZOOM. He was fucking faster than him when he 'chose' to give his speed away to 'save' Wally, who not to mention was away and safe and he still forked his speed over. It's just the same shtick over and over and it's really frustrating.

I was really hoping Wally or Jessie would show some speedster powers but since CW refuses to put a cap on anything I'm fine with waiting till next season. I guess they could adopt Jessie into Jesse Quick though the origin would be pretty different. Great season all around though

I'm almost tired of typing it but Agents of Shield <3 <3 <3 <3 God damn. I think I actually enjoyed the 2-part AoS finale more than Civil War. The action was so on point, and they definitely pushed their effects budget with Hive and Daisy. Hive's true form before the hilarious Star Wars joke looked awesome and very much movie quality seamless.

Moreover though, the acting in the show is just so continuously unreal. When Daisy broke down with Mack in her room the tears definitely wanted to flow. Brett Dalton as Ward/Hive was just insane this season.

The final moments with Ward and Lincoln were touching, powerful, etc, etc. I totally expected them to be locked in battle when the bomb went off. Them floating there together, reflecting on the Earth and kind of accepting their fates was kind of epic... Dalton just killed that scene. The short flashbacks when they fried his mind were really cool as well. Fortunately, I don't think we've seen the last of him. This show is so gorram good with surprises... when that ramp opened and it was fucking Lash standing there O.O ... just fuck yeah.

And damn Lincoln, I was just starting to warm up to you. I loved the way they bounced around the cross to keep you guessing. When Fitz put it in his coat I literally gasped and wanted to do a Darth Vader 'nooooooo'. I didn't realize it was going to be Lincoln until rather near the end, but as my friend pointed out it should've been obvious for a while now. Of course Lincoln dies after the Civil War :p and the previous episode was called Emancipation lol.

The final scenes have me so hyped for the next season, and are why I'm almost positive Brett Dalton isn't finished as Ward. We see Radcliff start the LMD program (Life Model Decoys) which opens up a million possibilities for next season. Daisy officially as rogue/vigilante Quake was way cool, and she looked super hot too :p I had to peruse reddit for a bit because I had no idea who the mom and daughter on the bench were, but it was the future-sight guy's family. I had forgotten about the bird connection.

What did you think Oochy? As the only other participant in this thread with any good sense :smug:

Completely different direction but I've been reading the most recent run of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comics lately. They're crazy and definitely return to the very dark roots of the original TMNT series. It makes me even more depressed about that shitshow that's about to release a sequel.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

Snyder is directing a Star Wars film. Don't see Disney putting a bad director on any of their films, especially a franchise they just got.

The only article I see about this is this one.

The only article I see about this is this one.

christ I'm glad it's not one of the main trilogy.

... and seeing his name attached to a legendary movie like Seven Samurai makes me cringe, even if it's just in 'style'. That idea sounds pretty cool though, definitely wish someone else had that project. Idk where they're going to find that many Jedi in a universe that currently only has 2-ish. Headscratcher.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

christ I'm glad it's not one of the main trilogy.

Did you not read the headline?

Did you not read the headline?

AHH lol didn't catch the april fools :whistle:

Hated the AoS finale at the start. Felt really janky and offputting. Thankfully it straightened out after that and there wasn't anything really bad after that.

Hive might be gone, but Ward probably isn't. Not sure if Robo Ward happens or not, but he's been with the show for forever, may as well bring him back in some capacity.

Honestly thought we were going to lose a lot more than just Lincoln last night (At least we got the nice moment between him and Hive at the end). Probably not good that I go into things expecting death, but oh well.

Kinda glad the doctor guy is sticking around, he's pretty entertaining, even though that thing he unveiled last night isn't going to lead to anything good. Things like that never work out.

Time jump looks like it's setting up for some interesting things. Dunno if I like Rogue Daisy or not, but since pretty much nothing is known, we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. Maybe there's a good reason.

"Help me Obi-wan Kenobi"

Looks like AoS is moving back to the 10 PM time slot for next season. Hopefully next season isn't the last, but if it is, it's gonna be fun seeing what Marvel's endgame is.

Okay, definitely fell for that April fools then...

The only character I felt like didn't have a good reason to be there was Ant-Man. Hawkeye was retired, but he does feel like he owes Wanda a debt and like Tony I feel like he's too addicted to the game to give it up for real. I feel like they'll kill him off before Clint gives up Hawkeye for good. I like how they handled the mass amount of characters. Most of them were only there for the big fight scene, but the ones who did have a small subplot had natural reasons to be there and it never took over the heart of the story which centered around Steve, Bucky and Tony.

I'm almost tired of typing it but Agents of Shield <3 <3 <3 <3 God damn. I think I actually enjoyed the 2-part AoS finale more than Civil War. The action was so on point, and they definitely pushed their effects budget with Hive and Daisy. Hive's true form before the hilarious Star Wars joke looked awesome and very much movie quality seamless.

Moreover though, the acting in the show is just so continuously unreal. When Daisy broke down with Mack in her room the tears definitely wanted to flow. Brett Dalton as Ward/Hive was just insane this season.

The final moments with Ward and Lincoln were touching, powerful, etc, etc. I totally expected them to be locked in battle when the bomb went off. Them floating there together, reflecting on the Earth and kind of accepting their fates was kind of epic... Dalton just killed that scene. The short flashbacks when they fried his mind were really cool as well. Fortunately, I don't think we've seen the last of him. This show is so gorram good with surprises... when that ramp opened and it was fucking Lash standing there O.O ... just fuck yeah.

And damn Lincoln, I was just starting to warm up to you. I loved the way they bounced around the cross to keep you guessing. When Fitz put it in his coat I literally gasped and wanted to do a Darth Vader 'nooooooo'. I didn't realize it was going to be Lincoln until rather near the end, but as my friend pointed out it should've been obvious for a while now. Of course Lincoln dies after the Civil War :p and the previous episode was called Emancipation lol.

The final scenes have me so hyped for the next season, and are why I'm almost positive Brett Dalton isn't finished as Ward. We see Radcliff start the LMD program (Life Model Decoys) which opens up a million possibilities for next season. Daisy officially as rogue/vigilante Quake was way cool, and she looked super hot too :p I had to peruse reddit for a bit because I had no idea who the mom and daughter on the bench were, but it was the future-sight guy's family. I had forgotten about the bird connection.

What did you think Oochy? As the only other participant in this thread with any good sense :smug:

I finally got to the AoS finale last night, and that was fucking awesome

the LMD definitely opens up some interesting possibilities, but the biggest question they raised was when Coulson said "better call the director" who the hell is the director now and why did Coulson step down? Daisy separating from SHIELD could also be a great dynamic, and I have a feeling that has something to do with Coulson no longer being the director, but I really have no idea where they're going from here. As far as Ward/Hive, Brett Dalton has been a fantastic antagonist, but I kinda hope they go a different direction, though maybe using him as a LMD would be a different enough direction, resurrecting Ward as Hive definitely mixed things up, but at this point I think that line may have run its course. The evolution has been great and Dalton has done a fantastic job with what has to be one of the most difficult roles in the show just based on how much it's changing, but I think it's time to move on to something new.

I'm still beyond pissed that Marvel's Most Wanted isn't going forward, hopefully they find some way to bring Bobbi and Hunter back

Edited by oochymp

Big news day for Marvel. Thor: Ragnarok adds 3 impressive names to their cast. Cate Blanchett will play Hela, Jeff Goldblum will play Grandmaster and Karl Urban will play Skurge. Also, Michael Keaton is back in talks to play the villain of Spider-Man: Homecoming. A report out there is saying the role he is up for is indeed Vulture but also that Tinkerer will be a villain in the movie and will supposedly help build Vulture's outfit with Chitauri tech left behind from the attack on New York.

the LMD definitely opens up some interesting possibilities, but the biggest question they raised was when Coulson said "better call the director" who the hell is the director now and why did Coulson step down? Daisy separating from SHIELD could also be a great dynamic, and I have a feeling that has something to do with Coulson no longer being the director, but I really have no idea where they're going from here. As far as Ward/Hive, Brett Dalton has been a fantastic antagonist, but I kinda hope they go a different direction, though maybe using him as a LMD would be a different enough direction, resurrecting Ward as Hive definitely mixed things up, but at this point I think that line may have run its course. The evolution has been great and Dalton has done a fantastic job with what has to be one of the most difficult roles in the show just based on how much it's changing, but I think it's time to move on to something new.

I'm still beyond pissed that Marvel's Most Wanted isn't going forward, hopefully they find some way to bring Bobbi and Hunter back

You guys went way in depth on why the AoS finale was awesome and I agree. The actors have really gotten comfortable in these roles and its night and day from where they started. I would love it if they'd make it relevant to the MCU and give the inhumans and the AoS from the show some effect in movies. Even if it was just a mention or a couple of Easter eggs.

The Inhumans movie might have references to AoS, but that movie is so far off now that isn't even worth discussing IMO.

But, the shows are not ran by the same people who do the movies believe it or not. Kevin Feige successfully made a power play to have him and his film division of Marvel Studios report directly to The Walt Disney Company, not Marvel Entertainment. Marvel Television, ran by Jeph Loeb runs the shows and Feige doesn't really appear interested in really connecting with them at all. For one, it means he'd have to answer to Isaac Perlmutter which is the reason why he got out to begin with. But two, some people complain about having to watch so many movies to keep up with the story of the MCU, so throwing in television series too would just make matters worse.

While it's cool to see characters like Daredevil and Punisher now in the MCU and hopefully Ghost Rider, Blade and Moon Knight join them...we'll just have to accept that we'll never see any sort of major crossover.

Thor 3 mght actually be a good movie. :ooo:

Also,

Marvel backtracking because of complaints FTL

Backtracking confirmed.

http://uproxx.com/movies/shane-black-the-nice-guys-iron-man-3/

For the record, I don’t think you fucked up Iron Man 3.

I wish that the fans liked it more.

I was under the impression people do like it.

I’m a people pleaser. Marvel saw so many negative things they made a whole other movie just to apologize called Hail to the King. In which they said, “No, no, the Mandarin is still alive. That wasn’t him. There’s a real Mandarin.” The only reason they made that was an apology to fans who were so angry.

But if Marvel didn’t want you to present Mandarin the way you did, they would have stopped you.

Of course, they didn’t care. But when the blowback hit, they cared.

Some other interesting stuff in the link. IM3 was supposed to have a female villain etc.

Edited by Vin

Maybe its because I don't read the comics, but I enjoyed Iron Man 3 and thought that the twist was well done and creative.

• Upvote 1

That twist was terrible. I've never really read any Iron Man comics and definitely none with the Mandarin, but that shit was a slap in the face. I think the worst part was that the casting was GREAT for a real Mandarin...

The Inhumans movie might have references to AoS, but that movie is so far off now that isn't even worth discussing IMO.

I thought they had removed it from the lineup. To be honest, I'd be surprised if it gets made. I didn't know all of that about the TV and movie aspects of the MCU being handled almost completely separately. Might explain some things.

I guess I'm more saying just a little acknowledgement that things are happening in other parts of the universe, similar to the obit of Peggy Carter that Coulson was reading a couple episodes ago.

Inhumans was removed from Phase 3 because of the additions of Spider-Man: Homecoming plus Ant-Man and the Wasp. Not to mention Disney has an Indiana Jones movie now coming out around the same date. Inhumans is still supposed to happen according to Feige, it's just pushed back to 2020 at the earliest now.

Yeah for sure, the only saving grace with them not going forward with the spinoffs is maybe getting Bobbi and Hunter back on the show somehow (LMDs? :ooo: ) Hunter could've carried a show on his own.

what do you think about agent 13/captain america's girlfriend being the new director? She might have a big role yet to play in the movie universe. Could be Maria Hill. Probably is May.

I would love to see Ward come back as a good guy, and the team struggle with that... because it's not really him and everything.

should I still watch the second season of Agent Carter even though there's no more?

The Flash finally did it... Sigh. Flashpoint Arc FTL. This is gonna suck.

Interesting little nugget of information. It turns out Anthony Hopkins was not the original choice to play Odin by Marvel, they first offered the role to Mel Gibson. :think:

Interesting little nugget of information. It turns out Anthony Hopkins was not the original choice to play Odin by Marvel, they first offered the role to Mel Gibson. :think:

I'll go ahead and go on record saying I'm glad they went with plan b
  • Upvote 1