Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

I just finished watching the whole 2nd season of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. That show is so aweome, it pisses me off it is being cancelled in favor of a lame kiddier version.

I was talking about this earlier and decided to bring the debate here. The one that always occurs when talking heroes.

DC or Marvel?

A year ago I would've told you DC because of Batman, but now I feel Marvel all the way. They just have a better selection of characters and do such an amazing job bringing them all together in one universe. I'm not just talking about teams like the Avengers, but literally bringing everyone together like in Secret Invasion or Civil War. DC really relies on Batman (and Superman, but I'm not a fan) to carry the load for them. They also don't do as good of a job tying their whole universe together. They have the Justice League, but the team just feels so forced compared to the Avengers. When talking about Marvel, I can keep going on about characters I'm a fan of...Iron Man, Deadpool, Wolverine, Hulk, Black Panther, Captain America, Thor, Spider-Man, etc. But with DC it starts and ends with Batman. Green Lantern is okay, but I wouldn't buy any of those comics. I've already stated my distaste for Superman, Wonder Woman is not really any better and Aquaman is just gay (though I've been told his latest line of comics are good reads and giving the character some life).

To me, Marvel owns the comics industry right now. They also own superheroes in Hollywood as Chris Nolan is the only thing keeping DC afloat there. I'll give DC the edge in animation though. The Batman animated series was epic, the Justice League animated series was pretty good too and I liked Teen Titan as a kid. Marvel was finally doing good things with animation with some of those movies made by Lionsgate like Doctor Strange, Planet Hulk, Ultimate Avengers 1&2 and Invincible Iron Man, plus the awesome Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes show. But they dropped Lionsgate and now just cancelled EMH for a dumbed down version that aligns more with the movie and their Ultimate Spider-Man show is shit.

What do you think? I almost wanted to make another thread to have a poll lol.

I really don't want to quadrouple post or whatever here lol, but this needs to be posted.

ABC has greenlit as Joss Whedon-lead show about S.H.I.E.L.D.

EXCLUSIVE: ABC has ordered a pilot for S.H.I.E.L.D, a live-action series from The Avengers writer-director Joss Whedon, Marvel TV and ABC Studios. The project is based on Marvel’s peacekeeping organization S.H.I.E.L.D (which stands for Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate or Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division) found in both the Marvel comic book and feature film universes, including the blockbuster 2012 movie The Avengers, in which S.H.I.E.L.D director Nick Fury, recruits Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, and Thor to stop Thor’s adoptive brother Loki from subjugating Earth.

S.H.I.E.L.D. will be written by Whedon and frequent collaborators, his brother Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. Joss Whedon also is set to direct the pilot, schedule permitting. Production on the pilot, which marks the first live-action Marvel TV project to get a green light, will start immediately. Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon and Tancharoen executive produce with Jeffrey Bell and Marvel TV’s Jeph Loeb.

Related: ABC And Marvel Eying ‘Avengers’-Themed TV Series

The project had been in the works at Marvel TV and ABC Studios for some time. Earlier this month, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced that it had signed an exclusive film and TV deal with Joss Whedon, which included him writing and directing The Avengers sequel and develop a live-action series for Marvel TV and ABC, both owned by Disney.

This marks a return to series television for Joss Whedon, creator of cult favorites Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Firefly and Dollhouse. Husband and wife writing duo Jed Whedon and Tancharoen co-penned with Joss Whedon Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog and also have worked on Dollhouse and Spartacus. In addition to S.H.I.E.L.D, Marvel TV has a couple of other projects in development at ABC Studios, including a Hulk series.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/abc-greenlights-s-h-i-e-l-d-marvel-pilot-joss-whedon-to-co-write-possibly-direct/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Any news on what the show is actually going to entail?

Any news on what the show is actually going to entail?

No details yet. No way Samuel L. Jackson takes a role with this, maybe he makes an occasional appearence for big episodes as Fury, but he has too much pride to be a TV regular IMO. Even if it is a Whedon-led project.

My guess is they'll get Cobie Smulders (Robin from How I Met Your Mother) to reprise her role as Maria Hill from Avengers and it will be about the daily operations of S.H.I.E.L.D. and we'll get to see some street level heroes and villains. Heroes for Hire including JD's favorite Iron Fist seems likely to be involved at some point. They can introduce some lesser known characters into their universe without a movie.

Which btw, I heard from someone who works within Marvel that Falcon is going to be in the Captain America sequel and a member of the Avengers in the sequel.

EDIT: I should mention that the pilot was just greenlit by ABC. They haven't ordered a season's worth of episodes yet. But no way do they not unless Whedon somehow makes a terrible pilot (that is as likely as Alan Moore publicly supporting a movie of his works lol). This whole Marvel universe is a cash cow that Disney is going to want to cash in on beyond Hollywood and cartoons.

Edited by Milla4Prez63
  • Upvote 1

No details yet. No way Samuel L. Jackson takes a role with this, maybe he makes an occasional appearence for big episodes as Fury, but he has too much pride to be a TV regular IMO. Even if it is a Whedon-led project.

I too would be surprised if Jackson was in as a main character... however Jackson doesn't seem like the guy that haas too much pride to take any role. If the price is right, dude will take the role. Look at his IMDB page for reference. He's been in a lot of stinkers. The problem, of course, is the price tag. He would demand a large contract and the show will probably already be pricey to produce with special effects a large cast and what not.

Kinda excited abouthe show though. Thanks for posting to updates too since I'm too lazy to look for myself. Its probably the same reason I stopped collecting monthly comics and usually just go with collected stuff in GN form.

True, but TV shows usually don't go for massive paychecks (some exceptions, I'm pretty sure Charlie Sheen was making a ton before he got replaced on Two and a Half Men). I also don't see the need to drop a ton of money on SLJ for this show. Nick Fury doesn't need to be there all the time. Maybe just for big episodes, or they could go with the Secret War storyline and have him hiding and Maria Hill replace him. This is probably going to be about the inner workings of SHIELD. So I think characters like Quartermain will be introduced, maybe Clark Gregg can reprise Agent Coulson. I'd love to see Eric O'Grady too for the lulz.

True, but TV shows usually don't go for massive paychecks (some exceptions, I'm pretty sure Charlie Sheen was making a ton before he got replaced on Two and a Half Men). I also don't see the need to drop a ton of money on SLJ for this show. Nick Fury doesn't need to be there all the time. Maybe just for big episodes, or they could go with the Secret War storyline and have him hiding and Maria Hill replace him. This is probably going to be about the inner workings of SHIELD. So I think characters like Quartermain will be introduced, maybe Clark Gregg can reprise Agent Coulson. I'd love to see Eric O'Grady too for the lulz.

Oh I agree completely. The show doesn't need him at all (like you said, it would be cool to see him in some guest appearances).

My point was that I don't think his pride was what was keeping him back since he'll do just about anything (though to date that does preclude TV, outside of some voice work and guest appearances) but more the money involved in paying him if he were to be the star.

I'm sure he would take the gig if the money was right, but I do know for a fact that many movie stars feel doing full time television is below them. They'd probably have to throw way too much money at SLJ for it to happen and it wouldn't be worth it. But, I think the show would be better off without him, he is too big of a personaliy for a show about the people of SHIELD.

rewatched the Fantastic Four movies.. They weren't great, but better than I remember.

I don't like the actors that play Mr. Fantastic or Invisible Woman. Like Thing and Human Torch though. In both movies, I hated what they did with Dr. Doom. He seems like a crybaby, loser, super villain who gets defeated minutes after his "big plan" comes together.

He's supposed to be epic and menacing.

Really liked Silver Surfer though.

I eagerly anticipate the reboot.

I watched the Fantastic Four movies, but vaguely remember them. I do remember them being poor though. I'm interested in the reboot too, but if they fail, they should just hand the rights back to Marvel.

I hope this is true.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/05/dark-knights-rises-bd-might-feature-a-directors-cut

Holy Batman Blu-ray rumors! We've been hearing whispers of a longer cut of The Dark Knight Rises for some time now, and even have confirmation that a lengthy "Bane origins" backstory was shot, but deleted.

Just a few weeks ago, the film's costume designer Lindy Hemming shared a few tidbits about Bane's origin in an interview with GQ.

"The other thing that you should have seen during that sequence is him being injured in his youth," Hemming told GQ. "So one of the fundamental things about his costume is that he has this scar from the back injury. Even if he hasn't got the bulletproof vest on, he still has to wear the waist belt and the braces. In that scene in the prison, where he's learning to fight the same way Batman learned to fight, he's wearing an early version of his waist belt. It's showing support, but it's not the finished one he eventually wears. He's also wearing an early version of his gas mask, all glued together...

"If you look at the film, unless they've cut it -- and I'm sure they haven't -- there's a whole early section for Tom Hardy where he's fighting and being taunted by people. He's got chains on him, and he's standing on a wooden thing while people are attacking him. And in that scene, he's wearing a much more ragged, primitive version of the mask."

While director Chirstopher Nolan is not known for having many deleted scenes with his films, it's certainly possible with The Dark Knight Rises, especially factoring the film's already long running time. But could this excised footage make its way to Blu-ray? While it's most certainly a likelihood that we'll see some kind of deleted scenes reel, there's a strong possibility of a Director's Cut as well.

At least, Nuke the Fridge seems to be confident a Director's Cut is in the works. "According to our reliable spies, we will be able to see how Bane learns to fight plus more scenes involving Ra’s Al Ghul. The new Director’s Cut is said to make the film about thirty minutes longer," the website claims.

With virtually every summer hit announced for Blu-ray, it's only a matter of time (possibly in the next few days or weeks) before Warner Home Entertainment officially announces the Blu-ray, which will either confirm or debunk this rumor. As always, we'll see.

I am not into Cosplay stuff, but I think this guy has quite the convincing Joker.

602610_416969205011381_1631502580_n.jpg

314854_417073831667585_1322728894_n.jpg

202327_419309228110712_145633497_o.jpg

I'm glad they didn't use a Bane origin in the movie, but if it got cut and gets put on DVD, I'm fine with that. I'm disappointed they won't release the DVD until early December, such an obvious Christmas cashgrab, they can easily have it out by October/November.

On another note, anyone interested in trying out the comics but don't know where to start, Marvel is doing somewhat of a relaunch in the next month or two after Avengers vs. X-Men called Marvel NOW! It isn't a complete reboot in another universe like DC's New 52, but it is aimed at giving new readers a new starting point. A lot of things will get some tweaks, such as Iron Man's armor and stuff. I'm looking forward to it, I think the Iron Man relaunch will be the first one to come, in October.

Marvel-NOW_Promo-Art_EW_JQ.jpg

Those who watched Captain Planet as yungins' will love this:

http://youtu.be/PirI19qzQoU

This was made by a bunch of fans but I think it's pretty good. Captain Planet looks a little 'meh' but these people obviously don't have CGI at their fingertips. Reminds me a lot of the fan-made "Grayson" trailer that became a cult phenom a few years back.

captain_planet_350.jpg

I dunno how they did it, but they made Captain Planet appear even more homosexual than before. I'd still watch it though if they released a fan-made full-length film.

I dunno how they did it, but they made Captain Planet appear even more homosexual than before. I'd still watch it though if they released a fan-made full-length film.

The hair style is definitely off. Captain Planet needs to have a green mullet, no if's, and's, or but's.

• Upvote 2

Ya, reminds me a lot of the Mega Man fan-flick I watched. Ya, if you compare it to hollywood films, it looks terrible. But for being a fan made movie, I thought it was pretty darn solid.

There is a lot of good amateur videos, I love this Deadpool one.

This is one of the best I've ever seen. It's about Robin avenging Batman's death, has a ton of characters in it.

[why the hell don't my Youtube links show up properly?]

This is one of the best I've ever seen. It's about Robin avenging Batman's death, has a ton of characters in it.

[why the hell don't my Youtube links show up properly?]

In order to get videos to show up on the site you need to use the tags [ ytube] and [ /ytube] (don't space like I did) while putting the video code in the middle. For that video, you would put [ ytube] then ZiZuvJ48MZo [ /ytube] for it to show up.

Edited by Milla4Prez63

I've been waiting for Avengers vs. X-Men #11 for a month and it finally came today, and it was awesome. :yep:

Marvel promised a dramatic death to one of its' characters and...

to nobody surprise, it turned out to be Xavier. I'm sure he'll be back in some form or something though. But it would be nice if it stayed permanent and after Cyclops get defeated in #12 to have him struggle with regret for what he did.

I can't wait for the last issue, damn three weeks away.

Permanent? Maybe in that universe, but I find it highly unlikely.

Permanent? Maybe in that universe, but I find it highly unlikely.

AvX takes place in Marvel's "main" universe, known as Earth-616. I agree it is unlikely, but they should let it stick. It can create some good stories for their upcoming Marvel NOW!, but you are right that it is unlikely.

I personally hope they...

Turn Cyclops into a villain, he has slowly been becoming Magneto 2.0 and that got magnified x1000 during AvX. I don't want the same ol' redemption after he is defeated. The whole "I'm sorry, I did those bad things will being possesed so it is cool" plot is lame.