SteVo

Top 50 Films of the 21st Century (to Date)

The Skinny: For my senior thesis for the USF Honors College, I wrote a 79-page research paper on the 25 best films of the century so far, and for fun I have extended that list to 50. I was just going to post the entire list and a link to the thesis (once the Honors College uploads it) but Razor's thread of characters from whatever inspired me to do it countdown style. We need to kill some time, anyway; it's the offseason.

The Countdown: We'll start at #50 and work our way to the best movie of the century so far. I won't bore you guys with text, though when we get to the top 25 perhaps I'll post quotes from my thesis. Feel free to comment/debate along the way. In case you were wondering, the criteria for the list:

-Released between Jan. 1, 2000 and present day

-Primarily English-speaking

-American produced

With that said, let us begin with...

onesheet.jpg

• Upvote 1

That reminds me, I need to get around to seeing the rest of that. We watched a good bit of it in my American History class last year. Seemed pretty awesome.

superbad-poster.jpg

Edited by SteVo

Superbad > Good Night & Good Luck

Oh boy. The rest of the list should be... er... interesting.

Superbad is on this list? Why?

Superbad is on this list? Why?

Because it's a great movie.

hotel_rwanda_poster.jpg?maxWidth=500

• Upvote 1

Because it's a great movie.

Hmm. I found it tirelessly boring because it relied too much on sex jokes. If we're going to let that go, is Sexdrive on this list? I found that twice as funny because the plotline didn't depend on specific actors.

Tis a difference in preference, I guess.

• Downvote 1

Sex Drive... Lololol. I hope you are trolling Bware. Superbad was a really good movie, Sex Drive was not. Although Super Bad is definitely not better than the other two films posted so far. With movies of this quality this low on the list, I am interested to see the rest. But it does cover over a decade of films, so naturally all of this should be above average at the very least.

Not trolling. I thought Sex Drive was hilarious considering the limited subject matter. Superbad, on the other hand, depended moreso on the names involved and the ridiculously un-funny McLovin character.

Sex Drive was VERY VERY average. It had it's moments, but it didn't stand out in any way.

Much like my sex drive.

Hotel Rwanda only 48? Oh boy.

Much like my sex drive.

Hotel Rwanda only 48? Oh boy.

Indeed. Same thing I thought about #50. There better be some EPIC EPIC moving up this list. :)

As long as Batman Begins > The Dark Knight, and they're both in the top 5, I'll be good.

Batman Begins and TDK are both Top 5 movies of the last 11.5 years? Naaaaaa.

I'm wondering where Donnie Darko will be, and I also wonder if SteVo threw In Bruges in there somewhere, though I doubt it. I think In Bruges is easily one of the best films of the century so far, but most don't even know about it.

I'm wondering where Donnie Darko will be, and I also wonder if SteVo threw In Bruges in there somewhere, though I doubt it. I think In Bruges is easily one of the best films of the century so far, but most don't even know about it.

I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't include In Bruges. The list would probably be invalid if it weren't in a Top 50 list.

Donnie Darko, IMO, is fairly overrated, but I expect it to be fairly high on the list.

Batman Begins is. Maybe not TDK, but I'm not a big movie goer to begin with.

I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't include In Bruges. The list would probably be invalid if it weren't in a Top 50 list.

Donnie Darko, IMO, is fairly overrated, but I expect it to be fairly high on the list.

Agreed about Donnie Darko. Matter of fact, I'd love to see an underrated and fairly unknown film like In Bruges seeded higher. I'll have to give him mad props if he's got it in this list.

Donnie Darko was garbage. Most overrated movie I've ever seen.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Donnie Darko was garbage. Most overrated movie I've ever seen.

That's gotta be pushing it a tad, eh? Granted, much like Pulp Fiction, people talk it up so much that you watch it with absurd expectations, and then end up disappointed when you shouldn't be.

I had to take a film appreciation class, but wish I did something cool like this. We had to write papers talking about mis en scene, then had to simulate a conversation between two directors lol.

I am actually surprised so many people (granted, it's only a few here) actually agree that Donnie Darko was so overrated. I mean, I know I didn't like it... But I also understood that A LOT of people did.