Sign in to follow this  
Bucman

Joe Pa may have helped in cover up.

And like I said, the NCAA doesn't need to send a message. Thats what the court systems are for. Spanier and Curly are going to get a trial soon, and obviously theres nothing to do about Paterno.

Paterno's dead and Sandusky is imprisoned for life. That really isn't enough?

Absolutely not. If Spanier and Curly get off, I am going to be fuming.

Have to agree with JD and the others here. It's deeply disappointing for me to learn what happened. Joe Paterno was somebody that a lot of people looked up to and to find out he did something this despicable? The only legacy he deserves now is disgrace. Tear his statue down. It's a lot bigger than football at this point. I think we can all agree on that.

Nick Saban suggests Penn State should play football but donate the profits to child welfare charities.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/07/19/nick-saban-penn-state.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a14&eref=sihp

I think this would be a much better idea than the death penalty. You don't punish the player, coaches, or fans; the school does get a punishment, but it also helps other victims.

Really sad that Penn State worked so hard to cover this up, determining that winning football games was more important than helping children who were being raped and persecuting the perpetrator.

You want to send a message to Penn State, and to college football? Death penalty. End of discussion.

I think the death penalty sends the wrong message. Instead of looking for justice, you're looking for revenge. The kids of this program did nothing wrong, the majority of those involved in the program did nothing wrong. Get justice by putting those responsible behind bars and terminate anyone involved in the coverup. Penn State has suffered enough.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, this wasn't a coverup by all of penn state. There were really only 4 people involved in the crimes (not counting the victims) and they are all getting punished.

While I agree taking down the statue is absolutely the right thing to do, I'm now thinking that punishing the football program as a whole isn't fair to the athletes who had no role in the cover-up, but I wouldn't be totally against it either. Let's see what happens.

Bad timing to take the statue down. If they were going to do it, they should have done it before... Not weeks after. Also, his name is still on the library... lol.

I'm glad that the statue is gone. Now, about that library... either re-name it, or tear it down and build another one. Maybe the money for it came from Joe, but if the truth about these things came out when they happened, he would've never been around to make the money he gave towards it. As you guys know, I go to Penn State. Unfortunately, you don't get to hear about students like me in the media. It's the idiots that still cling to Paterno that garner even more negative attention to the university. And that's what we really need, isn't it?

At some point, life has to take precedence over sports. Young boys were permanently damaged because of what went on there, and several people, Paterno included, kept it under wraps. Those are the facts and they must carry heavy consequences. The university is going to have a black eye for a long time, but it is what it is. I just wish more students and fans would be realistic about everything that is happening. It's not exactly easy for me to say all of these things. But you guys know that I'm not going to be quiet about how I feel about things. It's sad that most of my fellow students hate my view on this, but I'm not the one in denial.

I do think that Penn State will be looked upon favorably again in the future, but we will have to earn it. It will not just be handed to us. The sooner the students and fans in denial get realistic, the sooner we can move on.

Only a few members of the team did something wrong and they aren't even there anymore. I really don't get why the majority of the team who did nothing wrong should be getting punished as well.

Only a few members of the team did something wrong and they aren't even there anymore. I really don't get why the majority of the team who did nothing wrong should be getting punished as well.

It's the NCAA, bro.

USC should have been playing in the PAC-12 title game last year. Why weren't they? Because Reggie Bush accepted gifts/benefits some 7-8 years ago. Think any of those 2011 players had anything to do with Reggie Bush illegally receiving gifts?

If USC players had to suffer because of a single former player merely receiving gifts, then PSU players should suffer as well because Paterno & Co. thought the football program was much more important than the livelihood of numerous children.

I'd call it a death penalty:

*$60M fine

*4-year ban from bowl games

*reduction of scholarships

*wins removed from 1998-2011

All that on top of the fact that no one is going to want to go play for PSU in the first place. I'd say this football program is done. I expect a good amount of athletes to take their 'free pass' and go elsewhere.

Also, they are giving any current athletes with a football scholarship to continue studying at PSU, using that scholarship but not having to continue playing football.

Edit: Well maybe not a death penalty because they are still allowed to play this year and aren't getting a TV ban. Pretty damn close though.

Edited by KiLaSix9

I like it, not the death penalty, but pretty much a different type of Death Pentalty. This way, the players don't get punished for the wrong doings and the University does... Penn State as a University deserves it.