Eefluxx

Brees 5 years $100 million

Saints agreed to terms with QB Drew Brees on a five-year, $100 million contract.Per ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the deal contains $60 million guaranteed and a whopping $40 million in the first season. Brees is now the NFL's highest paid player, surpassing Calvin Johnson and Peyton Manning. More to come. Jul 13 - 1:36 PMSource: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Eefluxx

How the fuck can they afford to give him $40 million in the 1st year? They barely have any cap space...

On the Saints page it was explained like this

Vast majority is probably the signing bonus.

So, example.

10M salary

30M signing bonus.

Signing bonus is 30M / 5 years = 6M per year.

Cap hit = 10M + 6M = 16M.

Thank you Saint Ward from that site.

16M is less than his franchise tag.

This is from ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8163701/sources-drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-agree-record-contract

Brees's 2012 salary of $40 million is fully guaranteed. In 2013, the Saints will have a three-day window to release him after the waiver period begins (five days after the Super Bowl); if not, Brees gets another $15 million of fully guaranteed earnings, bringing his two-year total to $55 million.

In 2014, the same three-day waiver scenario is in place before Brees is fully guaranteed another $5 million, with an additional $1 million in salary. Under the assumption Brees is the team's quarterback for the next three years, he would make $61 million during that stretch, with $60 million fully guaranteed, the highest guaranteed total an NFL player has ever earned. Calvin Johnson's deal with the Lions, signed earlier this year was initially reported to guarantee $60 million, but a closer look found it only fully guaranteed $48.75 million.

While the waiver window gives the Saints an out, both the league and union view the $60 million as "guaranteed" because of the extreme unlikelihood that the Saints would want to have paid Brees $40 million for one year or $55 million for two years.

The remaining $39 million to be earned in 2015 and 2016 is subject to the same waiver formula, bringing the potential grand total to $100 million over five years. No player in NFL history has averaged $20 million per year.

Edited by Eefluxx

Fuckin' idiots. He ain't worth that kind of money. They need him, but at that cost nobody needs him.

Fuckin' idiots. He ain't worth that kind of money. They need him, but at that cost nobody needs him.

By the sound of things, Brees and his agent were negotiating this one pretty hard, and the only alternative would have been to trade/lose Brees. That is not an option for the Saints. Considering how he's proven to be an elite quarterback without elite receivers or running backs, I think he's worth $20M per year because he's just that valuable to that team, and to that franchise.

This is the point in which the Saints need to be looking for a QB so they can exercise one of the 5 waiver clauses he has in his contract in a year or two.

Absurd.

What happened to Brees saying that he wasn't looking to be the highest paid player in the league?

• Upvote 1

I'm sure him being a part of that team has generated more revenue for the owners than they are paying him. If they let him go excitement over the team subsides and a lot of sales go with him.

This is good news for the Saints. And really good news for the entire NFC South I believe. Judging by history, this should make Drew Brees just about due for a bad season or an injury knocking him out of the season. (Which isn't what I hope for, or wish on someone, but it's almost a sure thing now that he's paid big)

It had to happen. You can't really put a price on a guy like Brees because you can't get a Drew Brees anywhere else. Most franchises don't even get the opportunity to get a guy like him. He's worth 9 wins and a playoff birth all on his own. He's always healthy, always a pro bowler, always in the top 3 of QB stats. He's consistently dominant at the most crucial position in all of team sports. Yes he's overpaid, but that's the market for a guy who has un-matched dominance in a league that values success in the passing game more than anything. And quite frankly, I don't get the disrespect for the guy. I think absolutely he's one of the best in the game :shrug:

No disrespect for him here. I think it was right for him to get paid like he did. All I'm saying is that the past 4 or 5 years we've all seen when a guy has gotten paid big, he's suffered a pretty bad injury. Unfortunate, but it's how it's been going.

Whiny little bitch wants his money, expect his performance and efficieny to take a turn in the shitter. Not even the best player in the league and he gets way more than he deserves. Fuck you Drew Brees.

I hope he has fun playing the rest of his career out with a shit team. I'm sure him and Sean Payton will keep putting up numbers but when guys get paid this much it really hurts the team's ability to go out and get players to help Brees.

I hope he has fun playing the rest of his career out with a shit team. I'm sure him and Sean Payton will keep putting up numbers but when guys get paid this much it really hurts the team's ability to go out and get players to help Brees.

Actually the deal is pretty cap friendly until the salary cap rises from the tv deal in 2013 or 2014. Then it jumps and by then some of the veteran we have making big dollars will be done or we will be ready to move on from them.

I may not like the Saints, but even still this whole situation has been confusing for me. This is the man who made your franchise relevant. He is your first and only Superbowl QB. Why in the name of Vince Lombardi did it take this long to pay the man his money?

This shouldn't have even been an issue. It should have just been Brees saying "I want a better contract" and the Saints getting out their checkbook and saying "Yes sir, Mr. Brees. How much would you like?" There was no reason for them to try and lowball the only top talent QB they've EVER had.

I may not like the Saints, but even still this whole situation has been confusing for me. This is the man who made your franchise relevant. He is your first and only Superbowl QB. Why in the name of Vince Lombardi did it take this long to pay the man his money?

This shouldn't have even been an issue. It should have just been Brees saying "I want a better contract" and the Saints getting out their checkbook and saying "Yes sir, Mr. Brees. How much would you like?" There was no reason for them to try and lowball the only top talent QB they've EVER had.

There are other players on the team, and Brees wanted, (and got), a ridiculous amount of money. He is not the best QB in the NFL and his contract should reflect that.

There are other players on the team, and Brees wanted, (and got), a ridiculous amount of money. He is not the best QB in the NFL and his contract should reflect that.

He might not be THE BEST (some would argue he is) but I'd say he means more to his team than any other quarterback in the NFL does to theirs.

I understand the terms of the deal, but I get the feeling this is going to backfire on New Orleans. Let's hope I'm wrong.

I think the Saints couldn't risk losing Brees considering the state of their team right now so I think this contract was necessary. He's been very consistent for them so far in his career so hopefully he can keep that up during this contract extension so the Saints get their money's worth.

Second happiest person on the planet due to this deal?

.....Aaron Rodgers, cha-ching

:yeahthat:

Second happiest person on the planet due to this deal?

.....Aaron Rodgers, cha-ching

Nah, he's probably happier.

The Saints created $2.6 million in 2015 cap space by converting $5.2 million of Drew Brees' base salary into a signing bonus.

Brees, signed through next year, now has the league's highest 2016 cap number at $30 million. New Orleans will have to make a quick decision on Brees in the offseason, as $10.75 million of his $19.75 million salary for next year becomes guaranteed on February 10. If the Saints release or trade him, they'll eat $10 million in dead money. Why do this restructure now? Coach Sean Payton said the Saints are looking to improve the roster, specifically mentioning tight end.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Who are they going to go get? (In before they trade Max Unger back for Jimmy Graham).