Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

2012 RNC, DNC

Guest Phailadelphia

Just curious if anyone watched the RNC last week and/or the start of the DNC this week and wanted to share their thoughts?

I also stuck this in the Return of the Randomness thread, but this pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter:

2266.png

Yeah, the rhetoric battle goes on and on. Thanatos' image kinda sums it up. Having said that, I did watch the final night of the RNC and I'll probably do the same for the DNC. And even though I didn't watch, I heard Julian Castro's speech drew comparisons to Obama's in 2004; rising star of the Democrats?

With a name like Castro, he must be a communist!

*yes that will happen, I guarantee it*

• Upvote 1

With a name like Castro, he must be a communist!

*yes that will happen, I guarantee it*

If we're willing to elect a President Obama, we're capable of President Castro.

• Upvote 1

If Obama wins, won't Biden run in 2016?

Guest Phailadelphia

If Obama wins, won't Biden run in 2016?

Doubtful the party would get behind him. He's not POTUS material. If you're looking for potential 2016 Democratic candidates--whether Obama wins or not--I'd look at John Hickenlooper and Julian Castro.

Doubtful the party would get behind him. He's not POTUS material. If you're looking for potential 2016 Democratic candidates--whether Obama wins or not--I'd look at John Hickenlooper and Julian Castro.

You don't think Hilary would consider running?

Guest Phailadelphia

You don't think Hilary would consider running?

I had a feeling she wouldn't but honestly, if Obama wins 2012 and the economy improves she'll be a shoe-in for 2016.

By the way, Clinton fucking killed it tonight. KILLED. IT.

if Obama wins 2012 and the economy improves

I lol'd.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

I lol'd.

Most recessions take around 5 years before the economy sees significant improvement. If he's elected, that will happen in his term.

Most recessions take around 5 years before the economy sees significant improvement. If he's elected, that will happen in his term.

I sincerely hope you are right.

If most recessions take 5 years to see improvement... Who is to say Obama has done anything to actually help (or hurt) that?

Barring some miracle, I see Obama beating Romney in a close race and then the dems getting slaughtered in 2016.

Barring some miracle, I see Obama beating Romney in a close race and then the dems getting slaughtered in 2016.

Same here. A friend of mine (who is a liberal) and I ran our too-early prediction yesterday. As far as battleground states go, we have Obama winning Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Michigan; Romney winning Ohio, North Carolina, and Wisconsin.

That's terrific.

One problem though, the economy isn't actually improving. So... =/=

Guest Phailadelphia

If most recessions take 5 years to see improvement... Who is to say Obama has done anything to actually help (or hurt) that?

Presidents (and politicans in general) have little control over economic output. They just get lucky to be elected during a period of growth or unlucky to be elected during a period of recession or stagnation. There's not much Obama can do to generate significant growth. Regardless, barring a dramatic collapse with the Eurozone crisis it's safe to say the economy should be on a large upswing by 2016.

By the way, the stimulus did a LOT to help the economy, despite what the right wants you to believe.

That's terrific.

One problem though, the economy isn't actually improving. So... =/=

Except it is improving...albeit slowly, mostly due to being stuck in a liquidity trap, but it is improving.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Both sides get lied to by their respective parties... The way its always been and will continue to be.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

Yup. Gotta do what ya gotta do to get elected I suppose.

I dont know. I have thought for a long time it is the lesser of two evils that should be president. After watching both it did nothing to sway me strongly one way or the other.

However dems used we more in the context of Americans as the republicans did in regards to the policy. Not really sure that is strong evidence, but maybe it was subliminal and therefore true ?

I am not sure anymore, however I do want Obama to get re-elected. Mainly because The REpublicans spent 8 years tearing down what the previous 8 year democrat did and I would like to see the dems get their chance to continue the circle jerk because god forbid they actually do something that will benefit everyone.

Seriously listening to both parties made me want to hurl. It was 5 minutes about heloing the country 20 bashing the other party 5 minutes about america 20 bashing the other party. It is pathetic not to mention how counter productive it is.

I just cant wait till novermber 6th so something else will be on between tuesday and sunday.

Yep, not too difficult to predict. Same exact thing that happened from 2000 to 2008. New party comes in, party is given another chance 4 years later, party doesn't work, new party overwhelmingly takes over...

As far as the RNC and DNC, I couldn't help but consistently puke a little in my mouth. The bullshit that is uttered at those conventions and taken as true is unbelievable. You all want to know the truth? It is a secret........BOTH of these big government elitist pigs will continue to drive us into the shitter. It will be that was as long as the American people continue their partisan and uninformed voting.

Fucking fed up with the direction we're headed in. I'm running for office when I get out of school.

/rant

I lol'd.

The only avenue for economic recovery is under his plan. When you are in a recession, you can either cut taxes to give people the incentive to "spend, spend, SPEND!", or you can spend. I haven't really formed an opinion on the former. Anyway, going with Romney pretty much brings back deregulation. What got us into this mess? DEREGULATION. Obama might not have the balls to face the Republicans that a president should have, but he's much better for the nation than Romney (who, btw, is an idiot with foreign policy and flip-flops on just about everything).

/opinion

Except it is improving...albeit slowly, mostly due to being stuck in a liquidity trap, but it is improving.

I think liquidity trap is a term easier to apply to Japan's situation than ours. I'll have to go look that one up, but I haven't seen any signs that the US is in a liquidity trap.

EDIT: No, you're right about this one. I still think that the stagnation in recovery is partly because neither side is willing to negotiate.

Edited by Vikingfan465

Obama got elected and his experience in foreign policy was not being born in this country. I don't think that will be holding Romney back, although other things will.

I definitely think his flip-flopping on most issues will hold him back, especially if people take the time to realize that the man who supports their stance also publicly supports the other stance.

Depends how much focus is put on to it by Obama and the media. When John Kerry got lambasted for flip-flopping, that was one of very few things they had on him... And it was completely blown out of proportion and just HAMMERED into the heads of anyone willing to listen.