Dutch

Art Modell dies at 87

I guess I also think that you can be a bad person without raping or killing people.

• Upvote 1

I guess I also think that you can be a bad person without raping or killing people.

True, that is bad to the extreme. I doubt he'd be going to hell for making that business decision though.

Wow.. I just read this on facebook.

My best friend was a life-long fan of the Cleveland Browns. I met him later in his life, and being a Steeler fan, we spent some great Sundays together, busting each others chops. The day that man (Art) took his Browns from Cleveland, it was as if someone stabbed my friend in the back. While Cleveland went without a team, he would come over my house to watch football. Try as I might to get him to become a Steeler fan, he remained loyal to his Browns, but did tell me whenever the Ravens played Pittsburgh, he would be the biggest Steeler fan there was. True to his word, we were together for every Steeler-Raven game, and he waved my terrible towel (although I knew he was cheering more for a Baltimore loss than he was for a Steelers win). He died a few years ago, and I still keep a beer out for him twice a year (three times if Baltimore and Pittsburgh meet in the playoffs). I know first hand how Art Modell crushed my friend, and I am sure he was not the only one. If Art is in heaven now, I know Lee is giving him hell!

RIP Lee, I will honor your memory, not Art's.

Dam yo... That was touching. It sucks when passionate people regardless of the situation get caught up on the business side of things in this world.

This is someone elses perspective

It still AMAZES me how Art Modell is still vilified for the move. The Browns name and records stayed in Cleveland. This allowed the Browns to return to the city of Cleveland via expansion. Cleveland endured 3 years without the NFL. How can anyone compare him to a real villain named Bob Irsay. Baltimore endured 12 years of no NFL and saw the team name transferred to Indy and witnessed the Baltimore Colt records being rewritten by Indy players. So Cleveland fans need to move on. You should be angry, but angry at yourselves for letting Modell leave. He did not steal your team in the middle of the night, you gave it away. The team my dad, granddad and I rooted for are in Indy –Your Browns are in Cleveland. Now my family and I love the Ravens and we will always be grateful to Art Modell.

Art Modell belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, shame on all who prevented that while he was still alive.

God Bless and rest in peace Mr. Modell.

Did you spew this nonsense when Osama Bin Laden or Saddam Hussein died and people celebrated their death? Someday Sandusky will die. Should we honor him and his coaching career or delight in the fact that he's dead after making a poor moral decision?

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how ridiculous, but to preach it is another matter altogether.

Are you seriously trying to compare Art Modell to Bin Laden and Sandusky? Get a grip dude, you know damn well you're taking it too far.

The point isn't about celebrating death, it's about shitting on Art Modell's death. Hell, some are going about it like Modell was Bin Laden's BFF. R E T A R D E D

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are you seriously trying to compare Art Modell to Bin Laden and Sandusky? Get a grip dude, you know damn well you're taking it too far.

The point isn't about celebrating death, it's about shitting on Art Modell's death. Hell, some are going about it like Modell was Bin Laden's BFF. R E T A R D E D

You placed no limits on your stance. My response was a direct rebuttal to words you wrote. You stated, "See, this is what you do when somebody dies; you honor the good things...rather than rage about the mistakes they made in life."

The Bin Laden and Hussein references were obvious hyperbole. It's often prudent to exaggerate because one must cater to ignorant minds who only see extremes.

The people "shitting on Art Modell's death" were morally outraged that he chose to move the team. They considered it heartless and self-serving to the highest degree. If they do not respect the man in life, why should they be forced to set that aside and "honor the good things" in death? A man expires and, suddenly, we should all be respectful of someone that did not deserve respect the day prior?

Lastly, because you seem to have missed it in my first post:

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how ridiculous, but to preach it is another matter altogether.

Who are you to decide how someone else should feel or behave after a man dies?

• Upvote 1

What greater disservice can you do to a man, and to yourself, than to lie at his funeral?

You know how you feel about certain people. Don't chicken out just because they're gone.

I hope to resolve things with my father at some point in my life, but right now I don't like the guy, and I have legitimate reasoning, so if he passed away tomorrow, would I swallow all of that and act like he was some great human being? No. That's disrespectful.

Respect is like humility. It's wonderful if it's legitimate, but when it's false it's an indictment on character.

Well said.

Nobody can blame Browns fans for not wanting to forgive Modell..Browns fans are one of the most loyal fans in USA and when you take the team from them,the team that means life to them,you can't expect an instant forgiveness..

What greater disservice can you do to a man, and to yourself, than to lie at his funeral?

You know how you feel about certain people. Don't chicken out just because they're gone.

I hope to resolve things with my father at some point in my life, but right now I don't like the guy, and I have legitimate reasoning, so if he passed away tomorrow, would I swallow all of that and act like he was some great human being? No. That's disrespectful.

Respect is like humility. It's wonderful if it's legitimate, but when it's false it's an indictment on character.

Very true and I can relate because I have the same if not an non existent relationship with my father. My entire stance was not about having to honor him but mocking his death and people labeling him as though he was a bad person. There is a huge difference in not caring if someone dies then celebrating / mocking someones death which demeans your own character.

• Upvote 1

Very true and I can relate because I have the same if not an non existent relationship with my father. My entire stance was not about having to honor him but mocking his death and people labeling him as though he was a bad person. There is a huge difference in not caring if someone dies then celebrating / mocking someones death which demeans your own character.

Well, of course, but I guess I haven't seen any legitimate celebration over his death. Then again, I don't really watch TV all that much anymore except for fractions of NFL games and highlights.

Yeah the NFL would've just expanded there. A move Modell himself blocked because he was planning on moving the browns there.

Baltimore was fucked over by Irsay way harder than Cleveland was by Modell. I wasn't alive at the time, but I know the story. I won't take anything away from Cleveland fans because we've been through similar things. But the Browns have a team now and so do we.

Regardless, Art was a great man who did many great things for the NFL and the city of Baltimore. RIP Art, and thank you for all that you've done. (Ray Lewis' eulogy was pretty touching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OymqfcHNOvM)