Romo

Appeals panel overturns Saints player suspensions

A three-member appeals panel has overturned the player suspensions in the Saints bounty case, according to a source familiar with the ruling.

The panel overturned a ruling by NFL system arbiter Stephen Burbank that commissioner Rodger Goodell was within his powers under the collective bargaining agreement to suspend four players for their alleged roles in a pay to injure system.

According to source, the suspensions are voided immediately, howevever the commissioner can reconsider discipline if -- and only if -- there is evidence of intent to injure beyond just a performance pool.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/09/07/saints-nfl-suspensions-appeal.ap/index.html#ixzz25octetBc

WTF? How could all the players get off with nothing? They already proved there was a bounty system in place. Players should be getting punished. I fucking hate the Saints.

Eefluxx happy.

Vin sad.

• Upvote 1

They aren't out of the woods entirely just yet.

“Consistent with the panel’s decision, Commissioner Goodell will, as directed, make an expedited determination of the discipline imposed for violating the league’s pay-for-performance/bounty rule,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. “Until that determination is made, the four players are reinstated and eligible to play starting this weekend.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/07/nfl-will-honor-decision-of-appeals-panel/

This never sat well with me anyway. I am g;ad that now the tables have turned and the burden of ACTUAL proof is on Goodell, as it should have been ot begin with.

Let the crucifying begin. :popcorn:

• Upvote 2

These guy's just better hope that the team's who were targeted don't take thing's into there own hand's.

Hearing "rip Frank Gore's head off " made me so f'ing pissed.

Pretty funny how Pierre Thomas gets knocked out cold by Donte Whitner in the game. :laugh:

Hope you're still thinking about that loss, Saints. :rock:

And hope you have a miserable season...

BayAreaBomber

:yep:

Anyone who has looked through the actual evidence that was released should know that the most the NFL can prove is a pay-for-performance system, and thus it made no sense to target specific players.

Thank you. I have been saying this for a while and people always want to revert to the frank gore audio. I mean taken literally Ray Lewis would have been done years ago when he said, "someone gets knocked out tonight"

The NFL has no PROOF this is just goodell on a witch hunt that has become somewhat normal.

• Upvote 1

I may or may not be correct, and if I am not, then ignore me. But I was talking to one of my friends here who is a law major. And according to him, the appeal panel probably didn't even consider the evidence or lack thereof... The panel were ruling that Goodell did not have the authority to punish the players.

So its not completely over, Goodell could go ahead and find some other reason outside of the "bounty program" to suspend the players.

1. No proof other than a few clips of Gregg Williams saying nasty shit.

2. Ridiculous suspensions levied.

3. The NFL had their chance to make this right. All it would have taken would be to revoke the long suspensions, reduce to 4 to equalize with the shortest ones, and redistribute. Instead, they tried to throw Jonathan Vilma under the bus when he did not deserve it in any way because there is no proof indicating that he bought in to the whole thing.

I hate the Saints as much as anybody, but these suspensions were not handled correctly and you could smell this happening from the moment the NFL tried to use ballistics instead of simple necessary force.

• Upvote 2

Man, Goodell is a fucking idiot and the Saints are still in the wrong. Terrible case. Just hire legal/detective group to make sure Goodell doesn't overlook stuff or wrongly punish someone for the wrong shit.

I am pretty sure suspensions will still be handed out but they might be more reasonable than what they were before.

I heard Goodell is going to wait a week before doing anything about it. All he had to do was show actual proof but he still refuses to do so.

I agree the players should get fined or suspended if proof they actually contributed to this but a piece of paper brought forth by a disgruntled ex-employee is not proof.

It's a tough thing, but I'm pretty sure this is all just temporary until proof is shown to everyone that it was a bounty system. Right now, there is nothing showing that these guys were doinganything wrong.

So despite what I want to see happen, and everyone else, all anyone can really do is wait and see how it plays out. I doubt Vilma plays before week 3 (If he isn't rightfully suspended by that time)

I haven't seen anything to prove a dime changed hands for a carry off or knockout.Without some proof that things like that ACTUALLY happened this looks like nothing more then a pay for performance deal like what the Packers got fined for a few years ago.Just because Williams ranted and raved about it does not mean the players involved carried it out. With the amount and type of information that has been released I am all for Williams getting baned and the Saints paying a hefty fine for a pay for performance bonus system. I would go along with fines for players that contributed cash to the pot as well,but with no more hard facts/proof then what we have seen thats as far as I would be willing to go.

LMAO. The Saints and Packers situation were COMPLETELY different.

The Packers used cash as incentives for a good play, like a big run, TD, or a sack. The Saints coaches wanted to physically maim opposing players and were willingly rewarding players for those types of plays.

The Packers used cash as incentives for a good play, like a big run, TD, or a sack. The Saints coaches wanted to physically maim opposing players and were willingly rewarding players for those types of plays.

There is no evidence for this conclusion. Where exactly are you getting this info from?

There is no evidence for this conclusion. Where exactly are you getting this info from?

Have you not heard the audio of Gregg Williams?

The part about rewarding players for it. There is no evidence of a pay-for-injury bounty system, as the NFL claims. Williams is a scumbag and deserves what he got, but you can't suspend these players when you have no evidence.

Have you not heard the audio of Gregg Williams?

Even if he blatantly said I will pay you to injure there is no proof the players did it. It was bullshit from the beginning.

If the audio is the smoking gun than A.) It is circumstantial. b.) Suspend half the coaches and players who give pre game warm up speeches year long suspensions.

LOL..........I have not seen any proof that any of the Saints players Actually injured a player for cash if you have please post a link to the information . I don't doubt they got paid for performance in addition to there salaries and thats where the comparison comes from. If there is proof that something took place in a game to prove they did then ya got me.