Sign in to follow this  
Zack_of_Steel

Sam Bacile's Anti-Islam Movie Sparked Deadly Protests in Egypt, Libya

This Is the Anti-Muhammed Movie That Sparked Deadly Islamist Protests in Egypt & Libya Yesterday

Posted on September 12, 2012 at 8:19am by Billy Hallowell

UPDATE: An update about the filmmaker of the now infamous anti-Islam film can be read HERE

muhammed.png

An actor depicting the Prophet Muhammad (Photo Credit: YouTube)

On Tuesday, Americans remembered the lives of those individuals who were mercilessly killed during the September 11, 2001 attacks.

But on the same day that the 11th anniversary of the tragedy was being remembered, two notable, anti-American events unfolded in the Middle East — in Egypt, Islamists tore down the American flag at the U.S. embassy and, in Libya, radicals burned down the U.S. consulate and killed a U.S. diplomat. These actions were taken, not as a result of the 9/11 anniversary, but in retribution for an obscure anti-Islam and anti-Prophet Muhammad film that was produced in America.

Sam Bacile, 56, the movie’s writer and director, has gone into hiding following the violent reaction to his film. An Israeli, Bacile lives in California and works in real estate development. While filmmaking isn’t his main source of income, he put together the inflammatory movie in an effort to expose negative attributes that he believes come from and are associated with the Islamic faith.

The self-described Israeli Jew told the Associated Press, from an undisclosed location, that Islam is a cancer and that the film was intended to make a political statement, while condemning Islam on the whole. The English-language movie spans two hours and is entitled, “Innocence of Muslims.” Bacile claims that more than 100 Jewish donors helped put up the $5 million to make the film, which has reached no measurable level of success, possible.

“This is a political movie,” Bacile told the AP. “The U.S. lost a lot of money and a lot of people in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but we’re fighting with ideas.”

Sam Baciles Anti Islam Movie Sparked Deadly Protests in Egypt, Libya

Naturally, considering his view that the faith is a “cancer” and examining the fact that he intentionally sought to target Islam, there’s no surprise that the content presented within the film is disparaging and offensive, to say the least. Muhammad, Islam’s most revered prophet, is made to look like a fraud. His followers, too, are depicted as fools.

Read more: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/this-is-the-anti-muhammed-movie-that-sparked-deadly-islamist-protests-in-egypt-libya-yesterday/

Here's the video that sparked the riots:

Both articles are worth reading in their entirety. The second article is found in the update link under the headline of the first article.

Just extremely unfortunate.

The retaliation is unjustifiable and neither is even making the movie in an attempt to spread hate and fear.

An extremely sensitive issue got out of hand. U.S needs to do anything it can to make sure it doesn't happen again.

An extremely sensitive issue got out of hand. U.S needs to do anything it can to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I wouldn't say anything. I'm not about to agree to the government curtailing free speech in the name of security.

That's the thing. We really can't do anything. I wouldn't be in favor of stricter speech laws nor would I be in favor of an increased military presence anywhere. It just sucks that people were hurt and killed over this.

Edited by Barracuda

That's the thing. We really can't do anything. I wouldn't be in favor of stricter speech laws nor would I be in favor of an increased military presence anywhere. It just sucks that people were hurt and killed over this.

I agree. Conservatives everywhere are blaming Obama for this. The people on the Steeler Nation site are going so far as to call him a pussy for not putting troops on the ground in Libya and annihilating "the fucking Muslims." They're calling it an "act of war." Are you kidding me? Radicals and possible Al Qaeda members are responsible for an attack in Libya, so we should declare war on Libya? It's utterly ridiculous.

This is what fear does. I'm sure the guy knew this movie would create outrage. The guy could have very well been trying to create this tension in hopes that it would do just what it's done. 5 million dollars was used making this movie. This isn't some moron imo. This was calculated. If they're American citizens, couldn't we try them for treason? We should also be all over Israel for this. That'll never happen though.

This is what fear does. I'm sure the guy knew this movie would create outrage. The guy could have very well been trying to create this tension in hopes that it would do just what it's done. 5 million dollars was used making this movie. This isn't some moron imo. This was calculated. If they're American citizens, couldn't we try them for treason? We should also be all over Israel for this. That'll never happen though.

You cant be serious. Treason for exercising his free speech. You do know that with the act of treason that results directly in US casualties almost always comes the death penalty right ? He is allowed by the constitution to say this.

I am not by any means absolving this idiot of any wrong doing but he is guaranteed free speech just like anyone else. While I am a proponent of just because you have it does not mean you should use it, and it should be used with a cool discretion. However criminal charges are unlikely considering the attacks occured outside the US and inciting a riot may be hard to attain an arrest much less conviction.

My response to you in the shoutbox earlier:

Israel stated that they have no idea who that guy is and that he definitely wasn't Israeli. Flying into Jerusalem and asking questions wouldn't solve anything. Just because he's supposedly Israeli doesn't mean that Israel is responsible. He lives in California. If we were to blame Israel, it'd be by the same line of thinking as the radicals that attacked the U.S. Embassy in order to lash out at crew from America that made the video.

Also, I agree with Thanatos here. We're going to start trying people for treason for making a video in dissent of a certain religion because radicals from said religion didn't appreciate it and attacked the U.S.? You repped my post earlier that condemned the shitmongrels that run this country for working to take away our liberties such as free speech; this seems very contrary to that school of thought.

Going after Israel and Sam Bacile would be a severe misplacement of aggression, unless of course we were to find out that they had, without a doubt, planned this entire operation.

However, I don't think anyone can plan the thoughts of radical Muslims in the Middle East, seeing as they're batshit crazy... The only plausible way I see Israel and Bacile being guilty is if they were working with the radicals and had planned to use the video as a scapegoat of sorts in order to make America look inward rather than at the terrorists who executed the attack. Seems very farfetched to me, though crazier things have happened.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

Freedom of speech doesn't apply if you're trying to cause a riot. Have you ever heard the classic example, you can't yell fire in a theater.

btw This is me saying this thinking that the guy knew exactly the kind of reaction that the video would get.

Edited by seanbrock

I feel like what is going on here is loosely similar to our foreign policy of the last 20 years. The movie, meant to damage Muslims and their reputation, has backfired and led to the deaths of Americans. Our meddling in the Middle East, while said to help us fight radicals, has led to increased attacks on our troops as well as on American soil in 2001.

It's time we come home.

lolwut.jpg

Some guy in Florida makes a movie about Muslims and he should be tried for treason. Oh and Israel is involved too.

Why is he responsible for it? Aren't the perpretrators here the people that actually killed the Americans? They aren't wild animals. They're people who responded to something that offended them with violence.

Free speech, dude. I know you can't say ANYTHING you want, but this most definitely is free speech. As much as I hate racism and hate, people do have the right to speak it. It's up to us to ignore it.

Americans are losing their lives because a YouTube video [predictably] sparked an outrage but yet the liberals are going to sit here and preach free speech? How about we lift up our skirts, grab our balls, and go take back control of all the consulates and embassy's that are being stampeded by out of control, extremist groups??

Good God this country has gone so soft over the last 3 1/2 years. American pride my ass... SMFH

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Americans are losing their lives because a YouTube video [predictably] sparked an outrage but yet the liberals are going to sit here and preach free speech? How about we lift up our skirts, grab our balls, and go take back control of all the consulates and embassy's that are being stampeded by out of control, extremist groups??

Good God this country has gone so soft over the last 3 1/2 years. American pride my ass... SMFH

Are you in the military ?

Guest Phailadelphia

lol

Lmao. You're all over the place. You complain about the fact that we're for free speech (because screw the Bill of Rights), but then call for action at the embassies as if he two are directly related. Please point to one single post that claims that Bacile was operating under the First Amendment while also suggesting we sit in a state of inaction when it comes to the defense of the embassies that are under attack.

Furthermore, way to lump anyone that is in the "free speech" camp in this debate as a liberal. It's this type of ignorance that makes the two party system so ungodly terrible.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 2

Are you in the military ?

What difference does that make?

Lmao. You're all over the place. You complain about the fact that we're for free speech (because screw the Bill of Rights), but then call for action at the embassies as if he two are directly related. Please point to one single post that claims that Bacile was operating under the First Amendment while also suggesting we sit in a state of inaction when it comes to the defense of the embassies that are under attack.

Furthermore, way to lump anyone that is in the "free speech" camp in this debate as a liberal. It's this type of ignorance that makes the two party system so ungodly terrible.

I'm not complaining about the fact liberals are always the first to hide behind the Bill of Rights, completely ignoring the consequences of "free speech". And yes, in this situation, a video which is being allowed to stand is creating absolute chaos in the Middle East but can't take it down because that would be a violation of everything that is the American way of life............despite the fact this little, YouTube Muslim warcry is costing us American lives.

What difference does that make?

I'm not complaining about the fact liberals are always the first to hide behind the Bill of Rights, completely ignoring the consequences of "free speech". And yes, in this situation, a video which is being allowed to stand is creating absolute chaos in the Middle East but can't take it down because that would be a violation of everything that is the American way of life............despite the fact this little, YouTube Muslim warcry is costing us American lives.

And your sporadic display of ideals continues. So you think America's gone soft and needs to grow some balls, but you want to give in to the radicals and let them deter our First Amendment and principal right. Wow.

Rather than suck our collective vagina lips up into our panties and appear weak by giving them what they want (when it's clear that they are beyond reasoning with), why not set up defense at the embassies (something that is already being done), show that we are not to be fucked with if anyone comes near, and hunt down the pieces of shit that lead the initial attacks (something that is also well on its way to completion)?

And yes, you were complaining about the "liberals hiding behind the Bill of Rights," despite the fact that there are libertarians and more conservative people that are of the same mindset.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

Zack, you're making too much sense. Stop it. KILL THE MUSLIMS!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

If this guy was trying to make a relatively high budget film to stir up shit with Muslims overseas then he is not protected under the first Amendment.

Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969), was a landmark United States Supreme Court case based on the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The Court held that government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is directed to inciting, and is likely to incite, imminent lawless action.

I believe that video accomplished exactly what it's makers wanted it to.

• Upvote 1

And your sporadic display of ideals continues. So you think America's gone soft and needs to grow some balls, but you want to give in to the radicals and let them deter our First Amendment and principal right. Wow.

Rather than suck our collective vagina lips up into our panties and appear weak by giving them what they want (when it's clear that they are beyond reasoning with), why not set up defense at the embassies (something that is already being done), show that we are not to be fucked with if anyone comes near, and hunt down the pieces of shit that lead the initial attacks (something that is also well on its way to completion)?

And yes, you were complaining about the "liberals hiding behind the Bill of Rights," despite the fact that there are libertarians and more conservative people that are of the same mindset.

Bacile's video needs to be taken down, it's a massive conflict of interest...period.

The Arab spring turns into the Arab winter...further proof that the "Golden Triangle" and surrounding areas are out of control but no matter, the Obama-lead White House will continue to scale the US back from the Middle East, downsize the military, and cut the defense budget by more than $110 Million.

Makes a ton of sense.

• Downvote 3

Actually it matters a lot. In your first post you say that WE need to lift our OUR skirts, grab OUR nuts and do something. but before we get to that,

First off I appreciate all the work that you have put into going into depth about this issue and regurgitating superficial soundbites on the news or reading the first sentence of an article about this issue.

Libya is in fact in support of us and have been more than gracious with their outpouring of support for the US. They actually approve of the leadership of this country and we have the highest approval rating in Libya that is higher than almost any other we have ever gotten in the region.

Link 1

Liink 2

So yeah lets just kick the door down to Libya and just go start putting foot to ass on all those people who are risking their own lives by holding up signs apologizing for the actions of the 20 or so militants that carried out this attack without the approval, backing, and knowledge of the Libyan government. You either just dont pay attention or you just half assed some comment together and thought it would be cool to sound tough.

Then lets not forget about the American Muslims who have condemned this attack and said that those few who are saying it is a jihad against western imperialism are wrong and that this is not indicative of the sentiment among most of the United States.

So lets just go ahead and discard all that so we can send people to war with a country that would provide no resistance anyway and would be as close to a genocide cloaked by the name of a war that there might have ever been. You do not bring down the full measure of the American military which is the most powerful in the world on an under developed third world country because you're pride has been hurt.

Then lets think about this from an economic standpoint. You are the same one who criticizes Obama for this economic situation and unemployment rate we find ourselves in. yet you turn around and want to finance another war that would further our debt and deficit spending on a war that would serve no other purpose than to kick the shit out of a country because the actions of a few. How does that make sense ? What political, economical, and military advantages would we get form them ? We would probably be worse off on all counts. So yeah lets just destroy our foreign policy and economy further by wrecking a country that can't defend itself from a dictator in the first place and then bring down the teeth of the most powerful military in the world.

And the reason I asked if you are in the military is because you said we like you would be going. If you are in (which I find hard to believe) then you would know the sheer stupidity of the comments you made. Probably that of some brand new slick-sleeved private fresh out of basic that walks into a platoon sergeant and tells him how he would change shit. If you are not then do not send the men and women of this country to war because you have become butt hurt and now want to kill everybody in a country because all of them must be terrorists. When it is you who is getting shot at or having to tell your friends wife how her husband died because you were there so that way she can tell her son that his father died a hero then by all means say something that would send others to fight in your stead. Until you lift up YOUR skirt, grab YOUR nuts and pick up a gun and volunteer to go over there to fight the war than why would you say this country should send other men to do it for you ? Especially when it is just to prove a point to soothe your ego.

I could be military, I could not be military, I could be prior service for all you know. Regardless of what you think, the fact is I wouldn't claim either way. It is a direct conflict for military personnel to parade around the internet and argue politics. Not saying it's illegal but is conduct unbecoming of a Soldier. The job of any SM is to support and defend the Commander-In-Chief; anything opposite is considered insubordination and depending on the severity, is punishable by UCMJ.

My advice to you, stop throwing the fact you wear the uniform in people's faces, posting all these fucking pictures from Iraq all over the place, and trying to paint yourself as "Joe Patriot" on a football forum. A lot of people wear/have worn the uniform...but not everyone advertises it on the world wide web. It's been my experiences that the people who have all the "war stories" and then act like everyone else isn't shit or hasn't done shit...are the one's who are truly full of shit. I'm guessing your facebook page is full of photos of you on the FOB, hugging Haji...probably a couple of really "badass" photos of you up in the turret. Just knock that shit off and stop allowing the world to profile your dumbass.

I don't have an ego, I have an opinion. Don't like it? Tough shit. I admit Islam, in it's true intentions, is a genuine religion that emphasizes peace, not war. Unfortunately it has been given a bad name by the extremists and anti-American groups who seek blood at all costs. I believe we haven't put the cap on terrorism coming out of the Middle East that we initially intended to and the wrong decisions are being made on Capitol Hill to scale back and tone down. This isn't about slaughtering Libya, it's about holding down the damn fort and clearing the streets; take back control. Do you doubt that our Government aims for control over the Middle East? If you do, then I'm sorry you're so naive.

Edited by War Eagle714
  • Downvote 5

I could be military, I could not be military, I could be prior service for all you know. Regardless of what you think, the fact is I wouldn't claim either way. It is a direct conflict for military personnel to parade around the internet and argue politics. Not saying it's illegal but is conduct unbecoming of a Soldier. The job of any SM is to support and defend the Commander-In-Chief; anything opposite is considered insubordination and depending on the severity, is punishable by UCMJ.

My advice to you, stop throwing the fact you wear the uniform in people's faces, posting all these fucking pictures from Iraq all over the place, and trying to paint yourself as "Joe Patriot" on a football forum. A lot of people wear/have worn the uniform...but not everyone advertises it on the world wide web. It's been my experiences that the people who have all the "war stories" and then act like everyone else isn't shit or hasn't done shit...are the one's who are truly full of shit.

I don't have an ego, I have an opinion. Don't like it? Tough shit. I admit Islam, in it's true intentions, is a genuine religion that emphasizes peace, not war. Unfortunately it has been given a bad name by the extremists and anti-American groups who seek blood at all costs. I believe we haven't put the cap on terrorism coming out of the Middle East that we initially intended to and the wrong decisions are being made on Capitol Hill to scale back and tone down. This isn't about slaughtering Libya, it's about holding down the damn fort and clearing the streets; take back control. Do you doubt that our Government aims for control over the Middle East? If you do, then I'm sorry you're so naive.

The bold parts tell me what I need to know.

I never claimed to be "Joe Patriot" or some kick ass war hero. I am saying that if you dont realize what this would do to the economy then you have no idea what foreign relations are and the hot bed of conflict that it is going to create. you have not seen me parade around the internet either because I have not. I put up pictures in uniform, dont like it ? Tough shit. People put them on facebook all the time, start complaining there. And how did I "throw it in your face." Didnt do that either.

Take control of the middle east huh ? Why would we do that ? As if this war has not almost bankrupted us as it is. They have the oil we are never going to control it while we have the dependency on fossil fuels.

My advice to you...Read, research, re -read and then respond. not react.

• Upvote 1