Sign in to follow this  
BC

Golden Tate puts Sean Lee night-night

In the new NFL that shoulda be a flag. But overall in terms of how football should be played, thats a fuckin monster hit and i loved it.

Great hit but that was a blind side hit on a defensive player. That was a blatant flag that was not called.

Fine? Tate is trying to clear a path for Wilson. The feet don't come off the ground until contact is made.

Guest Phailadelphia

Should have been a flag. Wouldn't be surprised if Tate gets fined.

A cool $21,000 gonna be coming out of Tate's pocket.

Sick hit, but yea, in today's NFL....that's a fine....

The crown of his helmet directly aimed for the head/neck area. That was illegal and dirty and a fine will be forthcoming.

2019178394.jpg

Violation of the Hines Ward Rule. Anyone that disagrees has simply forgotten about that rule or is a homer Sehawks fan.

What do you say, BLUE, think we can agree now that it was a dirty hit?

;)

Edited by Maverick

I mean... Still a great hit...

Yeah, it was a badass hit, but it's no longer within the rules of the game, which BC was arguing in the shoutbox when it happened.

I didn't see the crown of the helmet go straight into Lee's facemask and neck. Ouch. Thank God Lee's OK.

This may be the only memorable part of Golden Tate's career.

I think helmets contact players all the time that don't get called. You have to angle your body in such a way when blocking that when contact is made, you send the opponent backwards, rather than run into him standing up and risk hurting yourself instead. Tate leans into Lee, using his entire body to knock Lee backwards. The flagrant method of "head hunting" or "spearing" is when you deliberately lower your entire body so that when you make contact with the opponent, your helmet is the primary part of contact. Just because a helmet contacts an opponent doesn't dictate that the hit was flagrant. Tate, who is 5'10 by the way, lowers his shoulder, makes contact with Lee, and subsequently the helmet makes first contact the the chest. It isn't the top of the helmet like James Harrisson concussion hits were. He really makes contact with his helmet first because he is 5'10 trying to block somebody damn near a foot taller than he is. In order to avoid any part of his helmet, Tate could not get low or lean into Lee at all, which would result in an unseccessful block, in which case Wilson doesn't pick up the first down.

That's just how I see it. It's a judgement call though. Does Tate deliberately use the helmet as a weapon to inflict more force on Lee than necessary? It's really only seen that way because Lee gets his bell rung.

Here's the Maurice Jones Drew hit on Merriman, for another example of what a shorter player blocking is going to inevitably look like now matter how you spin it. This his was never in any kind of controversy of being dirty, or flagrant, by the way.

• Downvote 4

I think helmets contact players all the time that don't get called. You have to angle your body in such a way when blocking that when contact is made, you send the opponent backwards, rather than run into him standing up and risk hurting yourself instead. Tate leans into Lee, using his entire body to knock Lee backwards. The flagrant method of "head hunting" or "spearing" is when you deliberately lower your entire body so that when you make contact with the opponent, your helmet is the primary part of contact. Just because a helmet contacts an opponent doesn't dictate that the hit was flagrant. Tate, who is 5'10 by the way, lowers his shoulder, makes contact with Lee, and subsequently the helmet makes first contact the the chest. It isn't the top of the helmet like James Harrisson concussion hits were. He really makes contact with his helmet first because he is 5'10 trying to block somebody damn near a foot taller than he is. In order to avoid any part of his helmet, Tate could not get low or lean into Lee at all, which would result in an unseccessful block, in which case Wilson doesn't pick up the first down.

That's just how I see it. It's a judgement call though. Does Tate deliberately use the helmet as a weapon to inflict more force on Lee than necessary? It's really only seen that way because Lee gets his bell rung.

Here's the Maurice Jones Drew hit on Merriman, for another example of what a shorter player blocking is going to inevitably look like now matter how you spin it. This his was never in any kind of controversy of being dirty, or flagrant, by the way.

You are arguing (and very poorly, might I add), a non-point. Do you even know what the Hines Ward Rule is?

NFL approves 'Hines Ward rule'

March 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The NFL today approved four new rules that focus on player safety, including the so-called Hines Ward Rule that affects blocking tactics.

The blocking rule makes illegal a blindside block if it comes from the blocker's helmet, forearm or shoulder and lands to the head or neck area of the defender. One of the highlights the NFL competition committee used to portray such a block was the one Ward threw last season that broke the jaw of Cincinnati rookie linebacker Keith Rivers.

• Upvote 1

I'm mostly defending the cleanliness of the hit in terms of which parts of his body that he used, but even as far as the Hines Ward rule, I feel like in order to be a "blindside" block, it also has to be a side block. Tate hits him in the front, right in and square with the pads. He even takes an indirect route to Lee to square up. Is hitting somebody in a straight line right in the front like that really hitting them in their blind side even if they aren't looking right at you thinking, "Hey, that player is about to block the shit outta me"?

I'm mostly defending the cleanliness of the hit in terms of which parts of his body that he used, but even as far as the Hines Ward rule, I feel like in order to be a "blindside" block, it also has to be a side block. Tate hits him in the front, right in and square with the pads. He even takes an indirect route to Lee to square up. Is hitting somebody in a straight line right in the front like that really hitting them in their blind side even if they aren't looking right at you thinking, "Hey, that player is about to block the shit outta me"?

It was not a straight on hit. Lee's body is turned, as is his head. He's looking nowhere near Tate, which is the definition of a blindside. If I am facing you, but my head is turned to the side and I'm looking elsewhere and you come and punch me in the side of the head, that's a blindside.

The rule was enacted due to this hit:

Note the extreme similarity in both hits. Lee may have been turned slightly more towards Tate, but they are both blindside hits.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

What they will most likely get him for is hitting a defenseless player but i don't know what Tate is supposed to do Lee has 42 pounds on him.

I have been hard on Tate he has been very inconsistent but he was pretty good being a compliment to Rice in this game.

Edited by Sacks98

What they will most likely get him for is hitting a defenseless player but i don't know what Tate is supposed to do Lee has 42 pounds on him.

I have been hard on Tate he has been very inconsistent but he was pretty good being a compliment to Rice in this game.

Not break the rules by blindsiding him? Jump in front of his legs and cut him down as is common, even for huge offensive linemen making blocks out on the wings like that? BC keeps making this same argument and it makes absolutely zero sense.

This may be the only memorable part of Golden Tate's career.

Bingo.

Hope he celebrates his name on the fine check, the same way he did off his jersey.

Bingo.

Hope he celebrates his name on the fine check, the same way he did off his jersey.

Yup. The celebrating was stupid.

And I agree with what Lee said that if he didn't get blindsided..

“I bet if we went head to head and square up he probably wouldn’t be celebrating as much,” Lee said
Edited by Mathias

I wish he was more established as a player but i really don't have a problem with players celebrating when they make a big play.

Not break the rules by blindsiding him? Jump in front of his legs and cut him down as is common, even for huge offensive linemen making blocks out on the wings like that? BC keeps making this same argument and it makes absolutely zero sense.

I really don't see how that is any safer though when you go low like that you risk going after his knees.

Edited by Sacks98

Blocking below the waist is illegal so I don't really see the rationale there... but Tate actually does square up, in my opinion. The Ward hit is a side block.

• Downvote 3

Haha the title of this thread reminded me of this:

YOU EVER GO NIGHT NIGHT NIGGA??!!

But yeah, on topic...love the hit, but Tate gon' be paying up some sweet green.

Blocking below the waist is illegal

Your lack of football knowledge has been exposed for years, but this about takes the cake. Because cut blocks are illegal, right? No, CHOP blocks are illegal, where someone is already engaged with the defender above the waist and a second player cuts them below the waist. Learn rules before spewing nonsense.

Also, watch the video without your 'Hawks glasses on because it's painfully obvious that he did not "square him up". When Lee gets hit, his torso is facing the sideline. When he lands he is facing the endzone. If he's "squared up", his torso makes no such change in direction.

• Upvote 1