Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

General Election 2012 Thread

It's less than 50 days until Election Day in Amurica, and since the first presidential debate is less than two weeks away, I figured this thread might be a good idea. Also, something I'd like to share...

I'm beginning to think that whoever is in charge of these Republican campaigns is an idiot. Let's face it, there was no way John McCain was beating Barack Obama in 2008, but it should have been a lot closer than it was. McCain's campaign was horribly run, and I'm not talking about Sarah Palin.

Fast forward to 2012. How in the world is Obama going to get re-elected? Unemployment is over eight percent and the national debt has almost doubled during his first term. The only positive event on his record he can speak of is the death of Osama bin Laden. He can't run on Obamacare since polls show more Americans are against it than for it. So, should be pretty easy to oust him on a one-term presidency, right? Wrong.

Seriously, excluding Ron Paul (who makes too much sense for politics, apparently), the final three contenders for the Republican nomination for President were Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, and Newt Gingrich. Are you fucking kidding me? It's an election year where Obama is vulnerable and this is the best you can do?

Anyway, here's how I think it'll go down on Election Day, with Obama winning re-election by an electoral college score of 326 to 212. I see Obama winning just about all the battleground states by narrow margins (unless you count Iowa and North Carolina).

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=ABO

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

Anyone think that New Jersey Governor, Chris Christie, is kicking himself for not running? Really popular guy that a lot of people were pushing to run, but didn't...

At this point, I still do not know what I am going to do.

Anyone think that New Jersey Governor, Chris Christie, is kicking himself for not running? Really popular guy that a lot of people were pushing to run, but didn't...

I think either him or Marco Rubio (Florida Senator) would have had a very good chance of securing the nomination had they run this year. Rubio is still very young, though. I expect him to be one of the favorites to get the nomination in 2016.

Well, at least the debates should be fun.

Maybe.

Maybe.

I'll be weeping over the future of this country with my libertarian friends, if you call that fun. ;)

My prediction basically the same as Stevo's but I've got Obama taking Iowa as well. I don't see any way that Romney mounts some sort of comeback in the battlegrounds.

2016 should be a big year. I'm already preparing...

187800_139825859421870_7481958_n.jpg

Edited by WindyCitySports

I've seen Mitt Romney slowly destroy his own campaign with idiotic statements like "let's strengthen our military" and the absurd 47% comment.

On the other side of the spectrum, you can't blame Obama for the single most uncooperative Congress in US history. All you need to do is look at the filibuster numbers to see the shit that this poor bastard has had to put up with since he took office.

My question is, is the general American voter smart enough to realize these things, and that Mitt Romney is not the answer, either?

If you don't want to vote Obama, don't vote Obama, but don't vote Romney based on the fact that he's somebody other than Obama.

One more side note: I'm also fed up with Romney's obvious belief that he's earned every dime he's ever made. You don't end up that fortunate in life...without good fortune. I really have come to despise this poor excuse for a human being.

Maybe.

Conventional wisdom says Obama should rape Romney in all three debates, but Obama's got quite a few spots on his record Romney can exploit. But, if recent history regarding Romney's campaign is any indication, he'll screw it up.

On the other hand, I can't wait to see Paul Ryan fucking destroy Joe Biden in the VP debate. :devious:

My prediction basically the same as Stevo's but I've got Obama taking Iowa as well. I don't see any way that Romney mounts some sort of comeback in the battlegrounds.

2016 should be a big year. I'm already preparing...

187800_139825859421870_7481958_n.jpg

While I like your enthusiasm for 2016, you've got the wrong guy...

220px-Marco_Rubio,_Official_Portrait,_112th_Congress.jpg

Edited by SteVo

I think Christie might be biding his time and building towards a stronger campaign in either 2016 or 2020(assuming Romney Wins). Incumbents are tough to beat.

I think either him or Marco Rubio (Florida Senator) would have had a very good chance of securing the nomination had they run this year. Rubio is still very young, though. I expect him to be one of the favorites to get the nomination in 2016.

I like Rubio, and did vote for him, but he isn't ready to be president.

While I like your enthusiasm for 2016, you've got the wrong guy...

220px-Marco_Rubio,_Official_Portrait,_112th_Congress.jpg

Rubio's no libertarian, unless libertarians want to go to war with Iran. Rand's voting record in the Senate is near perfect, despite his 2012 endorsement. His speech yesterday on foreign policy was fantastic as well.

Edited by WindyCitySports

Rubio's no libertarian, unless libertarians want to go to war with Iran. Rand's voting record in the Senate is near perfect, despite his 2012 endorsement. His speech yesterday on foreign policy was fantastic as well.

The Orwellian comment was something I've been thinking about recently in reference to our presence in the Middle East since the early part of this decade.

I have no idea what I am giong to do, both suck.

Edited by Ngata_Chance
  • Upvote 1

Hey.. at least both sides came together to permanently detain US citizens without a trial. God Bless the USA and our President.

I have no idea what I am giong to do, both suck.

Actually, we have no idea how good or bad Obama is because he can't get anything through Congress. What does that mean? It means that Republicans have been more concerned with the next election for the past four years than the welfare of this country.

That tells me which way I'm leaning.

Romney is a douche. Period. Enough said. If he becomes the POTUS, this country is done for.

Obama has been handicapped his whole term. It's borderline racist that the Pubs and Cuppers won't work with him.

Thank Goodness for him not having complete control all 4 years.... That gets to be DANGEROUS. Especially if they even get close to regaining control these last 4 years... A lot of times 1st term Presidents won't push through a bunch of crazy legislation because they are afraid of what it might do to their chances of re-election. But having a Democratic majority with Obama for these last 4 years would be just... insane.

I do not look forward to that even being a remote possibility.

what about the two years that we had a democratic congress?

What about the fact that republicans can still filibuster no matter who controls Congress?

Actually, we have no idea how good or bad Obama is because he can't get anything through Congress. What does that mean? It means that Republicans have been more concerned with the next election for the past four years than the welfare of this country.

That tells me which way I'm leaning.

For a man who preached transparency in his first campaign there has been a lot of shrouding things and evasiveness. That tells me enough to think Obama is probably the better person but just as ineffective as president.

What about the fact that republicans can still filibuster no matter who controls Congress?

Instead of taking the time to tell Blots what Obama did right with the Democratic controlled Congress, you just dodged it and came up with another excuse. Gotta love politics!

Instead of taking the time to tell Blots what Obama did right with the Democratic controlled Congress, you just dodged it and came up with another excuse. Gotta love politics!

To be fair, there ain't much for stats and evidence posted in our political threads. Nothing that isn't from an incredibly biased source, anyway.

Also, I don't feel like I need to say anything other than, "look at the filibuster numbers" in order to portray how much Obama has struggled. It speaks for itself.

I am waiting for you to tell us all the awesome things Obama has done for us and why he deserves my vote in a mere few months. Every opportunity I give you is nothing but excuse after excuse.

Do YOU even know why you are (seemingly) going to be voting for him?

• Upvote 1

I am waiting for you to tell us all the awesome things Obama has done for us and why he deserves my vote in a mere few months. Every opportunity I give you is nothing but excuse after excuse.

Do YOU even know why you are (seemingly) going to be voting for him?

Because he is a Democrat! Woohoo sheeple!

Why should Obama be judged based on what sort of legislation is passed through Congress? Newsflash, people. Pushing bills through Congress is Congress's job. The President has influence, sure, but it's much more appropriate to view his use of the powers of the executive branch of government.

I feel like 95% of voters complain about the inefficiencies of Congressmen and expect the President to change it. That's why it cracks me up when presidential candidates go on and on about their tax plan when the power to tax the people is given to the legislative branch via the Constitution. But hey, they need to get elected, and voters eat that shit up.

Guest Phailadelphia

Paul Ryan said at a rally today, "Do you want Barack Obama to be re-elected? Then don't vote for Ron Paul." So much underlying meaning in that statement.