Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

General Election 2012 Thread

I thought the debate was fairly even, but Romney definitely seemed more energetic, more charged, and that was something he needed. Obama's strategy was very conservative, just going through the motions and not hitting Romney has hard as he could have. I'm shocked he didn't bring up the 47% comment at all.

I suppose (like Zack said) that Obama is saving the big guns for the latter debates, but he should be careful, because that's what McCain did in 2008 and he just came off as desperate. Who knows? This election could be a lot closer than the polls say.

romney-get-big-bird.jpg
  • Upvote 2

I thought the debate was fairly even, but Romney definitely seemed more energetic, more charged, and that was something he needed. Obama's strategy was very conservative, just going through the motions and not hitting Romney has hard as he could have. I'm shocked he didn't bring up the 47% comment at all.

I suppose (like Zack said) that Obama is saving the big guns for the latter debates, but he should be careful, because that's what McCain did in 2008 and he just came off as desperate. Who knows? This election could be a lot closer than the polls say.

I felt like Romney misused his aggressiveness. I couldn't keep track of how many times he interrupted the President (something the moderator should have stopped after it got to be, you know, twenty to thirty times). He was incredibly rude, and the incredulous tone he used in his voice did not help, either.

It was definitely even, though. Obama said "uh" way too many times and I do agree that he sort of took this one easy. This surprised me, because I fully expected Obama to walk in this debate because of how easily he speaks and portrays his point of view, which seems to be something Romney struggles with.

I agree with this. I heard someone say something about this earlier and it made no sense to me. I'm not sure why people think taxing the crap out of the rich would somehow make things better for the middle class. I would honestly think making sure rich people had money would be more beneficial to the middle class, most rich people are business owners and giving them extra money likely creates more jobs and opportunities for the middle class to make money. I'm not going to pretend to be an economical expert, but with the economy being so bad, I don't think trying to take money away from the people who sign your checks is going to help anything. I think high income people should pay their fair taxes, but I'm not sure how raising their taxes really helps anything. But maybe someone with more knowledge with this can correct me or expand on it, I just thought it sounded stupid earlier.

I think Obama is more concerned with making the rich actually pay their taxes.

Watch this video starting at 2:05:

Did you see Romney take the piece of paper out of his pocket and put it on the podium? That's cheating, there are no notes allowed.

• Upvote 1

I felt like Romney misused his aggressiveness. I couldn't keep track of how many times he interrupted the President (something the moderator should have stopped after it got to be, you know, twenty to thirty times). He was incredibly rude, and the incredulous tone he used in his voice did not help, either.

It was definitely even, though. Obama said "uh" way too many times and I do agree that he sort of took this one easy. This surprised me, because I fully expected Obama to walk in this debate because of how easily he speaks and portrays his point of view, which seems to be something Romney struggles with.

How easily he speaks? Without a teleprompter, Obama can't speak at all.

No way on earth was this even. I don't like either of them, but Romney clearly won this one.

Yes, I know about the economies of scale. I still don't see any benefit to the program. They have never been used in combat and I don't see how they would have been used in the near future.

I can at least respect the fact that you know this much. Most people are ignorant of this.

Anyway, I support the spending on the F-22, F-35, etc. because I think the US should stay ahead. The moment we let nations like China and Russia catch up to us is the moment where we lose our advantage militarily.

We are spending five times the amount any other nation is spending on military.

We spend $740 billion and China spends something like $150 billion. No other nation is above $100 billion. You don't think we can cut down on that a lot without losing our military advantage? There are other priorities, namely the economy.

This so hard. :yep:

We spend $740 billion and China spends something like $150 billion. No other nation is above $100 billion. You don't think we can cut down on that a lot without losing our military advantage? There are other priorities, namely the economy.

Think about the possibilities....

We bring our troops home.. Instead of using them to raid foreign countries and over throw foreign governments, we assign them to patrol and protect OUR borders. We bring them home. We save money. We save lives. We improve our national defense.

Sounds like a win - win to me.

Eh, I guess I just support more efficient spending for the military. That's pretty much the core of my rant regarding our modern military.

Guest Phailadelphia

The Obama campaign has received over 4 million unique donations. That's nuts. They've raised $950 million to date for the campaign. With a month to go it wouldn't surprise me if they become the first $1 billion presidential campaign. Thanks, Citizens United!

Holy crap, ATL, I just about died laughing. That was awesome.

Holy crap, ATL, I just about died laughing. That was awesome.

You've never seen one of the Epic Rap Battles of History videos? Oh man, you definitely need to go back through and watch all of their old ones. Sarah Palin vs. Lady Gaga, Darth Vader vs. Hitler, Bill O'Reilly vs. John Lennon, Stephen Hawking vs. Einstein...so many great videos.

Darth Vader VS Hitler is by far my favorite. :yep:

You've never seen one of the Epic Rap Battles of History videos? Oh man, you definitely need to go back through and watch all of their old ones. Sarah Palin vs. Lady Gaga, Darth Vader vs. Hitler, Bill O'Reilly vs. John Lennon, Stephen Hawking vs. Einstein...so many great videos.

I have seen none of them. Time to go watch youtube vids.

I have seen none of them. Time to go watch youtube vids.

I might have to make my first torrent because I've extracted all of the mp3s of the raps and tagged them up and given them cover art.

Topics have been announced for the third debate: it's entirely on foreign policy.

Subject to possible changes because of news developments, here are the topics for the October 22 debate, not necessarily to be brought up in this order:

America's role in the world

Our longest war - Afghanistan and Pakistan

Red Lines - Israel and Iran

The Changing Middle East and the New Face of Terrorism - I

The Changing Middle East and the New Face of Terrorism - II

The Rise of China and Tomorrow's World

http://www.debates.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=45&cntnt01origid=15&cntnt01detailtemplate=newspage&cntnt01returnid=80

You can't vote for a president for economic reasons. none are going to change the shit hole this country is in. Gotta vote for the president you support on the social aspects and in that regard I think Romney wins.

Guest Phailadelphia

What awful debate 3 topics. There are so many domestic issues we haven't talked about but an entire debate is going to cover foreign policy? Ugh.

What awful debate 3 topics. There are so many domestic issues we haven't talked about but an entire debate is going to cover foreign policy? Ugh.

I concur. I was considering avoiding the debate entirely before I knew the topics, but now I'd say I'll definitely be doing something else during the time frame. :yep: