Vin

Packers @ Colts

Following a sluggish start, the Green Bay Packers like the direction their offense is headed.

The Indianapolis Colts still have plenty of room for improvement on both sides of the ball, but the play on the field isn't their only concern.

After learning their coach could miss the rest of the season recovering from cancer, the Colts will be playing for Chuck Pagano in Sunday's matchup with the visiting Packers.

In a somber news conference Monday, Indianapolis (1-2) announced Pagano had been diagnosed with leukemia and is expected to be hospitalized six to eight weeks as he undergoes treatment. The first-year coach, who turned 52 years old Tuesday, will be treated with chemotherapy and drugs, said Dr. Larry Cripe, Pagano's physician.

"I think short of death, this is the worst type of news you want to hear," Andrew Luck said. "We'll do everything we can in honor of what coach Pagano is going through in honor of his fight, which is much more important than this kid's game we play."

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2007, will coach Indianapolis on an interim basis, though Pagano probably won't resume his full coaching duties this season. The Colts, who are coming off their bye week, are hoping they can make the playoffs to give Pagano a better shot at returning, and at the very least, win this week for their coach.

"I know in meeting with the team, in meeting with the coaches, there's nothing more than we want to get that Green Bay game ball and have a victory game ball and be able to walk that into the hospital and put that in his hands," team owner Jim Irsay said. "That's our goal."

That might not be easy, however, given the way Green Bay (2-2) looked in beating New Orleans 28-27 last Sunday.

The Packers got in the end zone on their second possession - the first time all season they scored in the first quarter - and finished with their highest scoring output of the season. They had averaged 19.0 points in their first three games after averaging 35.0 - the fifth-highest total in NFL history - a year ago.

"The offense (was) playing more the way we're accustomed to playing here the last couple years," Aaron Rodgers said. "Felt good to get back on track. Felt good to score in the first half and first quarter. ... It was important for us to start fast."

Rodgers, who had been in the middle of the offensive struggles, finished with seasons highs of 319 yards and four touchdowns and wasn't sacked. The reigning league MVP had averaged 248.3 yards with three TDs and two picks while getting sacked 16 times in his first three games.

The ground game also got in gear, with Cedric Benson rushing for a season-best 84 yards on 18 carries. The Packers finished with 102 rushing yards, and have won both their games when eclipsing 100 yards on the ground.

"If we keep that going, we can run the table here," tight end Jermichael Finley said.

Although Indianapolis outside linebacker Dwight Freeney (sprained ankle) is expected to return, Green Bay could be poised for another big game against a Colts team allowing an average of 27.7 points. A critical mistake by Indianapolis' defense in its last game against Jacksonville on Sept. 23 cost the team a shot at victory.

After taking a 17-16 lead with 56 seconds to go on an Adam Vinatieri field goal, the Colts abruptly allowed an 80-yard touchdown pass and suffered a 22-17 defeat.

The defense, however, wasn't the only unit at fault.

Vinatieri, the best clutch kicker in NFL history, missed a fourth-quarter field goal attempt, and Luck misfired on 5 of 6 passes after Indianapolis got the ball back following the Jaguars' final score.

"I point the finger at myself, some bad decisions," said Luck, who finished 22 of 46 for 313 yards with two scores and an interception. "I think the big finger should be pointed at me. I'm sure everybody feels like they have something to clean up."

This will be Indianapolis' first game against the Packers since a 34-14 loss at Lambeau Field in 2008.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

I shouldn't feel that the Colts have a good shot at winning this, and yet...

Edited by Vin

Green Bay hasn't been looking that great, but I saw what they were capable of when we played them and now they're playing the Colts. Shouldn't be too much of a game here.

:Packers: 38

:Colts: 10

With the start we got off to, we really need to win these types of games. I don't care if it is by 1 or by 100. Need a victory.

Colts CB Cassius Vaughn will start in place of Vontae Davis (ankle) in Sunday's game against the Packers.

It's a bad time to be starting replacement-level talents. With both Davis and nickelback Justin King (groin) out, Vaughn will be starting across from Jerraud Powers. Aaron Rodgers will have no trouble shredding this secondary.

Source: Phillip Wilson on Twitter

This really shouldn't be a game, but I think Luck plays better at home and might be able to keep the Colts in it.

The Colts might surprise us honestly.. I still think we win, but it all comes down to our O-Line and if we dedicate ourselves to the run game like we should.

I think the Packers win this one in a blowout. Losing Pagono will hurt the Colts and I think Rodgers will torch their secondary. GB's defense should be able to pick off Luck at least once or twice.

I think the Packers win this one in a blowout. Losing Pagono will hurt the Colts and I think Rodgers will torch their secondary. GB's defense should be able to pick off Luck at least once or twice.

Are the Colts gonna get all emotional though (regarding Pagano) and in front of their home crowd, be motivated to play unlike they are even capable of?

Maybe.

We saw it with the Chiefs last year, who wanted to win SO BADLY for Crennel that they played above and beyond what we have seen from them since.

Cedric Benson is only comfortable with 90 percent of the Packers offense.

Benson, after signing with Green Bay midway through the preseason, is still struggling with the intricacies of the team's check-down passing game. Benson has carried the ball 64 times this season, compared to just six carries combined for John Kuhn and Alex Green. James Starks is expected to return this week from a toe injury but is no threat to siphon work away from CedBen. Benson figures to touch the ball early and often against the Colts' No. 25 run defense. If the Packers can get a ground game going, it can only help Aaron Rodgers and the vertical attack. Benson is Rotoworld's No. 12 running back for Week 5.

Source: Fox Sports Wisconsin

It's uncertain whether the Packers will activate DE Mike Neal off suspension for Week 5.

Neal impressed coaches in practice all week, but there is no indication he will be declared active by Saturday's 3PM deadline to play on Sunday. "We haven’t made any decisions yet on Mike Neal’s situation," coach Mike McCarthy said. "We have some more talking, meetings, discussion that we need to go through."

Source: 540 ESPN Milwaukee

So the Colts greatly improve their secondary by starting Cassius Vaughan... gonna be a big day for the Colts.

:Colts: 27

:Packers: 21

Packers activated DE Mike Neal from the suspended list.

There was some uncertainty if Green Bay was going to activate Neal in time for Week 5 against the Colts. He'll add depth behind Ryan Pickett and C.J. Wilson at the end spots. Phillip Merling was released in a corresponding move.

Source: Tom Silverstein on Twitter

We saw it with the Chiefs last year, who wanted to win SO BADLY for Crennel that they played above and beyond what we have seen from them since.

It's possible, but I don't see it happening. The Raiders also did the same thing after Al Davis died and beat the Texans.

I just have a feeling the Packers go back to their normal, dominant offense in this one...

For whatever reason, underdogs and emotional factors go good together.

:Colts: 34

:Packers: 26

For whatever reason, underdogs and emotional factors go good together.

:Colts: 34

:Packers: 26

Underdog + Emotions + Playing Green Bay always go well together, lmao.

As I said before. We're the better team. We should win, but that isn't always how it goes. The Colts will probably put up a bigger fight than we expect, but we just can not afford to lose these types of games. This might be my likeliest upset of the week, but no way am I picking against the Packers, so...

Packers - 42

Colts - 21

Packers declared RB James Starks, WR Greg Jennings, WR Jarrett Boykin, CB Davon House, S Sean Richardson, LB Terrell Manning and DT Mike Daniels inactive for Week 5 against the Colts.

Jennings was ruled out on Thursday, but Starks' deactivation comes as a surprise after he was absent from the injury report and expected to make his 2012 debut this weekend. It's yet another show of faith from the Pack in Cedric Benson, and confirmation Starks simply doesn't have a role in the offense right now. DE Mike Neal will make his debut after being suspended through Week 4. James Jones will again get the start in Jennings' absence.

Dwight Freeney (ankle) is active for Week 5 against the Packers.

As are TE Coby Fleener and C Samson Satele (knee), though A.Q. Shipley will start in Satele's place at center. Freeney went down in Week 1, but is ready to goose a Colts' pass rush that's generated seven sacks in three games.

Inactive for the Colts are CB Vontae Davis, CB Justin King, QB Chandler Harnish, RB Mewelde Moore, LB Pat Angerer, G Seth Olsen and LG Joe Reitz. Jeff Linkenbach is starting at left guard.

Freeney is ready to take the lead in sacks...

Numerous Packers, including Jeff Saturday and Charles Woodson, as well as coach Mike McCarthy are showing their support for the Colts head coach by wear "I am | Chuck Strong" t-shirts.

He's been doing that a lot this year... No idea why.

Man, the way our D is playing...Our offense needs to learn to help them out. Who would think 5 games into the season, the Packers offense would look like this. lol

Still a lot of football left, obviously. So, we better kick it into gear.