AllYouNeedIsLovie

Does JJ Watt have a shot at MVP?

19 members have voted

1. 1. Does JJ Watt have a shot at MVP?

• Yes
    • No

The dude's been dominant so far leading one of the best defense's in the NFL. Through 5 games, he has 8.5 sacks (as a fucking 3-4 DE),10.5 TFL and 8 passes knocked down (10 is the record for a season). He's been doing everything for the Texans defense and everyone who watched tonight's game saw that. The amazing thing is that this is only his 2nd year and he will probably continue to get even better.

Does JJ Watt have a shot at the MVP? I really think he does. I think the only guy I would put ahead of him right now is Matt Ryan.

He certainly does if he keeps it up, but we all know that voters are biased/trend towards offense, so Matt Ryan needs to slow down first.

If he continues this pace, he has to be in the conversation. Though MVP is skewed towards offensive players, he can't be ignored. And he's easily the front-runner for DPOY. Ngata has been playing lights out as well but Watt's on a planet no one else is on right now.

Edited by 757_Niner

If he continues this pace, he has to be in the conversation. Though MVP is skewed towards offensive players, he can't be ignored. And he's easily the front-runner for DPOY. Ngata has been playing lights out as well but Watt's on a planet no one else is on right now.

Welcome!

Nope, not since he's a defensive player.

Pretty much this. Although he's got my vote!

Welcome to the boards!!

If he continues producing the way he is now, I think he can definitely be in the mix but like ppl have already said, mvp favors offensive players more.

I agree that offensive players definitely interest the voters more, but what guys on offense are having such great seasons? Matt Ryan is really the one who stands out to me. I feel like that also helps Watt's case.

Just found this stat.

Lions and Cowboys both have 9 sacks and 11 passes defended through 4 games.

JJ Watt has 8.5 sacks and 8 passes defended through 5 games.

Edited by GoodellFTL
  • Upvote 1

If a defensive player is going to win MVP, this would be the year. All the top QB's are either on a losing team or they haven't done anything super special. On top of that, Watt is putting up some ridiculous stats and he's on a team that has a shot at getting to the Super Bowl. It's pretty early in the season though. A lot of the reasons why people win MVP has to do with how they play in the 2nd half of the season.

Edited by Shotgun

unfortunately you're right, but he should be the frontrunner at this point, the impact he's having is just incredible, but MVP too often just doubles the OPOTY and my gut tells me if anyone on the Texans got it it'd probably be Foster just because of how skewed the award is to offense

We've played 5 games, folks. Slow down. If he somehow, in some way, continues at this pace, he'll definitely win it, but does anybody really expect that?

I doubt he keeps up this pace, and he'll have to and maybe even more to win MVP as a defensive player.

Doesn't matter how well he plays, he's on defense. And lest we forget, the Most Valuable Peyton is playing this season, so if the Broncos make the playoffs he's guaranteed the MVP...

• Upvote 1

If Matt Ryan and JJ Watt both continue at the same place they are going at currently...I'm voting for JJ Watt.

Defense gets no love anymore these days, and it's easier to be a talented QB than it is to be an all-around run stopping, pass-rushing devastator on a consistent basis in the NFL.

Realistically...he probably won't get it though.

• Upvote 2

This but if he continues like this hes a shoe in for DPOY.

I'd gladly vote for a defensive player to win the MVP if he had an amazing season..MVP is reserved for offensive players,though..

Justin Smith--step up your game you little bitch.

:D

^While Smith isn't an athletic freak to knock down a ton of passes, he's just as effective as Watt IMO minus the sacks (at least this year).

I've seen Watt do some crazy stuff this year, but I've seen Smith do things that I really don't think any DT including Ngata can do.

Yeah, the play vs. the Saints where Justin dragged down Bushrod and Brees is one the greatest things I've ever seen.

Well if he is the MVP his performance shouldnt do down, then. Last time we had a MVP on D was LT correct? If he continues to dominate like he has i think he has too. Lets face it, the Texans offense is good but its not like it was. Their D has been carrying them. Its why they beat us by 24. We had their offense in check most of the game. But Watt decided to go apeshit against us. Watt is their anchor on D. Only other MVP's i can think of right now in the running, is Big Ben ( if they make the playoffs ) , Peyton Manning ( just because ) and Matt Ryan ( unbeaten ). In the era of offense, if Watt, gets around 15-20 or +, knockdowns double, and a pick or some fumbles, he HAS to win it. Its more diffcult then ever to play defense, and to have those numbers would be insane. Texans will win on defense not offense even though they have peices. Their offense is more of run the clock out management type offense. I say Watts in the convo right now.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace