Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Week 5 Rankings

NFL Rankings Week 5

1. :49ers: (+1): The Niners regain the top spot after annihilating the Bills, followed by Houston's not-so-dominating game against the struggling Jets. The only team they lost to now looks like a possible contender instead of a bottom-feeder, and the Niners look like a complete team.

2. :Texans: (-1): Houston beat the Jets, and JJ Watt was dominating again. But a seven-point win over New York is not that impressive, especially considering what San Fran did to them the week prior. Houston looked vulnerable against a vastly inferior team.

3. :Falcons: (-): Atlanta continues rolling, moving to 5-0 with a victory over the Redskins. If RG3 had been in the whole game, the outcome could have been different.

4. :Patriots: (+1): New England and Baltimore switch spots. New England has a stout performance on both sides of the ball to knock off Denver, and the Pats seem to be hitting their stride.

5. :Ravens: (-1): The "win" over Kansas City showcased a lot of things that are typical Ravens- playing down to a lesser opponent while on the road, for starters. If any QB except Matt Cassel is on the other sidelines, the Ravens would have taken an L.

6. :Bears: (+1): Another week, another domination of an opponent on the road. Chicago's lone loss was to a division rival in primetime, and the team looks to be miles ahead of where it was then.

7. :Giants: (+3): The Giants scared some people early on against Cleveland, but reasserted themselves in the final three quarters to take a commanding win.

8. :Steelers: (+3): Pitt got a nice win against the Eagles, grinding out a close one in Steeler fashion. They still look pretty bad in some areas, but fortunately for them, so does every team in the AFC North.

9. :Vikings: (+7): I cannot believe that I have the Vikings in the top-10. I would have laughed if someone had said that they would be in the top-10 at any time this year. I want to see some more wins over quality opponents, like they had over San Fran, but their absolute domination of the Titans is certainly what a good team would do to an inferior one.

10. :Cardinals: (-2): Arizona's loss to a division rival was one that you could have seen coming. The QB situation on this ballclub is going to hold them back. The question is whether or not the defense can carry them.

11. :Broncos: (-2): Denver falls a spot after the loss to the Patriots in Foxborough after once again letting the other team take a commanding lead and falling short in their comeback attempt.

12. :Packers: (-6): I also cannot believe that I have Green Bay below Minnesota. The way this team is playing, though, I cannot do anything else. The Packers do not look like the Green Bay of last year, that is for sure.

13. :Eagles: (-1): Eagles fall a spot after losing to the Steelers on the road. If Vick could cut down on the turnovers, this would be a very good ballclub.

14. :Rams: (+3): St. Louis is a better team than most people realize. The defense is very good, and the offense is doing enough to get the job done. Jeff Fischer might be coach of the year for what he has done with the Rams. Handing a division rival their first loss on the year on national television may bring some attention to St. Louis.

15. :Seahawks: (+3): They got a win on the road, finally, but the team's offensive issues are going to hold them back from truly competing in the playoffs. They have to get their offense going, their defense will not be able to carry them every game. Open up the playbook for Wilson, or put in the QB who knows how to run your current offense better.

16. :Cowboys: (-1): Bye week in Dallas. A big test for Tony Romo and that Cowboys offense, as they head to Baltimore next week.

17. :Chargers: (-4): Losing to New Orleans in the Superdome on that particular night when Brees is going for the record is not something to panic over, even if the Saints were 0-4. San Diego is still in first in the AFC West, but they still don't seem like the best team to me.

18. :Bengals: (-4): The Bengals got beat by the Fins, but the team is still a good one. Miami is not a pushover, despite the record, and showed it against Cincy. The more troubling thing for the Bengals is the two rivals they have to worry about in the AFC North. They really cannot afford to drop games like this one.

19. :Redskins: (-): Washington losing to Atlanta by a TD is not that concerning. What is more concerning is the injury to RG3. The man is not built to continue taking hits like this, and Shanahan has got to teach him to protect himself better.

20. :Saints: (+6): Knew they still had it in them somewhere. This team still has serious issues, and it may be too late for a playoff run this year, but they finally managed to get a W. Baby steps.

21. :Lions: (-): Had a bye, so they stay put. Detroit needs to get a run-game going to help out their aerial attack.

22. :dolphins: (+5): Knocking off Cincy was an impressive feat, and they finally managed to close a game. This team could easily be 4-1 at the moment.

23. :Bucs: (-): Had a bye, so they stay put as well. Oakland and KC are up next, two games they absolutely must win to make a playoff push.

24. :Colts: (+6): Andrew Luck showed poise and confidence leading his team down the field on a two-minute drive to win the game, and the Colts pulled a major upset over the struggling Packers. The future looks bright in Indy.

25. :Jets: (-3): New York played quite a bit tougher than most were expecting against the Texans, but still sit at 2-3. This team is so thin at WR at the moment, but they showed they aren't planning to just give up. Still, with injuries to their #1 WR and #1 CB, and with Sanchez at QB, it's doubtful that they can go very far.

26. :panthers: (-6): Two weeks in a row the Panthers needed a foot to give themselves a great chance to win the game, and two weeks in a row the coaching staff refuses to run the ball. DeAngelo Williams had 6 carries for 6 yards and a fumble that lead to Seattle's only TD of the day. It would have better if he hadn't played at all. The run-game is inconsistent and not worth the big money Carolina is paying them, at least not D-Will. And seven drops is never going to help you win ballgames.

27. :Chiefs: (-2): The defense showed up big against Baltimore. The offense... not so much. Brady Quinn might be their best option at QB. Eew.

28. :Bills: (-4): Buffalo became the first team in NFL history to allow another offense to run for 300 yards and pass for 300 yards in the same game. That hyped-up defense sure isn't living up to its preseason expectations, and Mario Williams is practically invisible.

29. :Raiders: (+2): They move up by virtue of the two teams that were above them both getting pulverized while they were on a bye. Tampa is up next.

30. :Titans: (-2): Tennessee was destroyed by Minnesota. No, that's an understatement. I'm not sure how to describe the utter failure of the Titans on Sunday. If Hasselbeck is their QB, and this is how he plays, they might not be winning a game for awhile.

31. :jags: (-2): The Jags were also annihilated, 41-3, by the Chicago Bears. One has to seriously question whether the Jags are going to give Blaine Gabbert another year if they have a chance to grab a good QB in the upcoming draft- and it looks like that will be the case.

32. :Browns: (-): Another week in the cellar for Cleveland. It looked like that might not happen if you watched the first quarter of the Giants game. But then the Browns returned to being the Browns, and so here they sit. On the positive side of things, Joe Haden will be back next week.

Edited by Thanatos19

1. :49ers: (4-1) I dropped this team a couple spots for losing to the Vikings, but seeing how well they're playing, and the fact that the Niners have horribly crushed two teams in as many weeks, I think they deserve their top spot back.

2. :Texans: (5-0) I'm still high on the Texans, but comparing their performance against the Jets with that of the Niners shows me they just aren't quite as good. No offense guys, but you're #2 for now.

3. :Falcons: (5-0) Barely pulling out a game against the banged up Redskins makes me feel like this team might not be as good as its record. You're still undefeated which keeps you high, but you need to start winning games more decisively.

4. :Bears: (4-1) Crushing the ill-fated Jaguars isn't much to write home about, but it is another blow-out for the Bears to add to an impressive season so far.

5. :Ravens: (4-1) How did you only manage 9 points against the CHIEFS? You still won, but 9 POINTS?! Come on guys!!

6. :Patriots: (3-2) The Patriots slap down the Broncos in their continued bid to turn their season around. they are now over .500 and look to be back to the Patriots we all know... which could be bad news for Seattle next week.

7. :Vikings: (4-1) Another week another win. Blowing out the Titans isn't as impressive as beating the Niners, but nothing makes a statement to your improvement like blowing out a lesser team.

8. :Cardinals: (4-1) The Cardinals are this week's victims of the new and improved Rams. whether this is the beginning of the end for their hot streak is anyone's guess, but for now i'll slide them a few points and leave it at that.

9. :Giants: (3-2) I really don't know what to say about the Giants. One week they play like the defending world champs, and thext they play like... this.

10. :Packers: (2-3) How did you lose to the Colts? At least this time you don't have anyone to blame but yourself.

11 :Rams: (3-2) the Rams are finally over .500 and are looking like they may be a contender for the division after all. Anything that makes the NFC West stronger is ok in my book.

12. :Steelers: (2-2) The Steelers slide slightly despite winning this week. A narrow last minute win against the Eagles doesn't fill me with confidance in this team's future.

13. :Seahawks: (3-2) The Seahawks move up a couple spots by taking care of business against the Pathers and getting their first road win. Offense still needs work, but god damn that defense is frightening.

14. :Eagles: (3-2) a narrow loss to the Steelers costs the Eagles a few spots on the list. They're still over .500 but one wonders for how much longer.

15. :Broncos: (2-3) The Broncos get kicked in the teeth by the Patriots and slide a few spots. Don't wory guys, playing in NE is almost as bad as playing in Seattle. Not many go in and come out alive again.

16. :Chargers: (3-2) The Chargers are the first team to give up a win to the Saints. At least you made it a game, but if you couldn't beat a winless team, where do you go form here?

17. :Bengals: (3-2) The Bengals narrowly lose one to the Dolphins. I.. really have nothing more to say about that.

18. :Cowboys: (2-2) Dallas took their bye this week, and so don't move anywhere.

19. :Lions: (1-3) The Lions move up slightly despite being on a bye. I'm sure they'll continue to lose next week.

20. :Jets: (2-3) You made it a game against one of the best teams in the league. I still have to drop you a bit, but proprs guys!

21. :dolphins: (2-3) The Dolphins finally manage to win one of those narrow games. Now they just need to keep it up.

22. :Bucs: (1-3) Another team on a bye, and so they don't move.

23. :Redskins: (2-3) I expected Atlanta to demolish you. Good job making it a game.

24. :panthers: (1-4) Last week I commented that Cam Newton was suffering Sophomore Slump. I stand corrected. He's played fine... until he encountered the Seahawks defense. Better luck next week.

25. :Colts: (2-2) You beat the Packers? what is this... I don't even...

26. :Saints: (1-4) The Saints FINALLY win a game! It was against the Chargers.... but hey! They won! It might still be too late to salvage their season though. We'll see.

27. :Bills: (2-3) The Bills get blown out by another top ranked team. You guys are rapidly heading for the bottom of the barrel.

28. :Chiefs: (1-4) The chiefs hung in against the Ravens holding them to only 9 points. Even still they lost. I... don't know what to make of that.

29. :Titans: (1-4) Another week, another crushing for the Titans. this time from the Vikings. as a Seattle fan it pains me that Hasselbeck has to suffer this team.

30. :jags: (1-4) Blown out by the Bears. Well I guess you can take solace in the fact there's still one team who sucks even more than you.

31. :Raiders: (1-3) The fourth and final team on a bye this week. so they stay put.

32. :Browns: (0-5) five weeks in and not a single win. Just give up. Your season is over. Might as well start planning for that #1 overall pick.

Edited by Jayrus

1. :Falcons: (+1) Great showing by the defense, keep winning and you'll stay at the top.

2. :Texans: (-1) Top 3 will stay consistent. Though the Texans did not dominate like the 49ers did, a strong win regardless.

3. :49ers: Another dominant performance against a shitty team. San Fran wants to be a dynasty so bad.

4. :Patriots: (+7) I've been underrating them too much, they're still the same old patriots.

5. :Vikings: (+2) Percy Harvin is so beastly, the Vikings are really putting it together in the first half of the season. They better hope it carries over.

6. :Ravens: (-2) Ugly wins... Still good, but the Ravens need to get their run D together. Ray Lewis is finally looking like a liability.

7. :Bears: (+2) 4-1, surprise surprise. An Injury to the offense will put them right out of contention, but until then...

8. :Bengals: (-3) Tough loss to the Dolphins, a poor decision in the 4th cost them a shot at winning.

9. :Cardinals: (-3) The Rams took them to town, they need to upgrade that offensive line and fast. You can only win so many games on good defense.

10. :Steelers: (+7)

11. :Giants: (+2)

12. :Seahawks: (+4)

13. :Packers: (-5)

14. :Broncos: (-2)

15. :Rams: (+1)

16. :Eagles: (-6)

17. :dolphins: (+2)

18. :Chargers: (-4)

19. :Colts: (+3)

20. :Redskins: (-2)

21. :Cowboys: (-1)

22. :Saints: (+9)

23. :Bucs: (-2)

24. :Jets: (+1)

25. :Lions: (+1)

26. :Chiefs: (+1)

27. :panthers: (-3)

28. :Raiders: (+1)

29. :Titans: (+1)

30. :jags: (-2)

31. :Bills: (-8)

32. :Browns: Lol Old Weed.

Forgot to do this last week since I was going out of town, so I'm not gonna do pluses and minuses since it would be from two weeks ago.

01. :Texans: - Not a pretty win, but a win. Still undefeated, but losing Cushing could really hurt. But who else in NFC South can give them a run?

02. :49ers: - Still the most impressive team in the NFL, IMO.

03. :Falcons: - They are somewhat lucky to still be undefeated, but hey, good teams find ways to win, and they do that. Playoff bound.

04. :Ravens: - Yes, it was an ugly win, but last year we probably would've lost that game. At the end of the day a win is a win, but we need to get better on the road.

05. :Bears: - They just keep delivering ass-whoopings around the league. Still not really a Cutler believer though.

06. :Patriots: - I think it's safe to say they've rebounded fine from their slow start, but Seattle could be challenging.

07. :Giants: - Boy can they put up a lot of points really quickly.

08. :Vikings: - Who would have predicted they'd be this high? If you did, go get a lottery ticket or something. It might be them, not the Cardinals who are the dark horse this season. They have a legitimate chance to make the post-season.

09. :Steelers: - They are getting older, but nobody should forget about them. I certainly haven't. Can't wait for November for some Ravens vs. Steelers games.

10. :Seahawks: - And they round out the top ten. Winning on the road isn't always something they can do, and they did it. With the home field advantage they have, other NFC West teams should worry. This is a team being built for the future, and that's scary.

11. :Packers: - People are pressing the panic button way too soon.

12. :Cardinals: - Had a slip up much like the Niners did in Minnesota, to a somewhat worse team. They need a bye week more than most right now. But a home game against Buffalo should be good enough.

13. :Broncos: - I still think Peyton Manning has what it takes. Problem is he really doesn't have a ton of help.

14. :Eagles: - Put up a fight in Pitt. I guess they can't win all of the close games, can they?

15. :Chargers: - Once again exposed for the mediocre team they are.

16. :Cowboys: - Bye week.

17. :Rams: - My friend picked them to win NFC West pre-season and I said he was crazy. It's not so crazy now, but still a long shot.

18. :Bengals: - This has been said time and time again: they are a mediocre team who capitalizes on easy schedules.

19. :Colts: - It was great to see them win for Chuck (former Ravens D Coord) and I think a lot of people are rethinking whether Luck or RG3 is truly the better acquisition now.

20. :Jets: - They didn't lose as badly as most thought they would on MNF.

21. :Bucs: - Bye week.

22. :Lions: - Bye week.

23. :Redskins: - Gave the Falcons an impressive run for their money. Injury issues continue and RG3 looks like a man with a death wish.

24. :Saints: - Had a feeling the Chargers were going to get beat. Nice to see the Saints win one, and I think they'll win more. Playoffs are unlikely but not impossible if they can get their act together.

25. :dolphins: - I wasn't that impressed by the win. But good for them, I suppose.

26. :panthers: - Cam's sophomore slump is the story of this team.

27. :Chiefs: - I felt bad for their fans after watching such stupid decisions by the team, along with the offensive's affinity for turning over the ball. I felt worse when Eric Winston called them classless. This team has some pieces, but so much is in disarray.

28. :Browns: - Quick start against the defending champs, but it fizzled out quick. I think they may get their first win in a very long time on Sunday vs. Cincy.

29. :Bills: - Embarrassing.

30. :Titans: - Their defense is just absolutely terrible. And I'm not sure if Hasslebeck or Locker is worse.

31. :Raiders: - Yes they had a bye, but they moved down because other lowly teams impressed me.

32. :jags: - Congratulations, Browns! You aren't the worst team in the league anymore. Jacksonville is just inept. The conspiracy theorist in me says the fix is in to move them to LA.