ATL_Predator

Bucs @ Vikings

The Minnesota Vikings' passing attack was awful last Sunday, but Adrian Peterson and the defense did enough to compensate in the win.

The star running back tries to lead the Vikings to their first 5-0 home start since 2009 on Thursday night against a Buccaneers team that's dropped nine straight on the road since its last trip to Minneapolis.

With Christian Ponder throwing for a season-low 58 yards and getting intercepted twice for the third consecutive week, Minnesota (5-2) totaled a season-low 209 yards in last Sunday's 21-14 victory over Arizona. The Vikings had just two first downs outside their two first-half touchdown drives and punted five consecutive times in the second half following rookie Harrison Smith's 31-yard interception return for a score.

However, Peterson ran for a season-high 153 yards and a touchdown, and the defense registered seven sacks to lift its season total to 22 -- tied for third in the league.

Ponder has connected with Percy Harvin 53 times and tight end Kyle Rudolph already has five TDs, but the team is 27th in the league in passing with 203.4 yards per game. The Vikings, though, are off to their best start since opening 6-1 in 2009 thanks to Petersen spearheading a running attack that's seventh in the NFL (132.3 ypg) and a defense ranked ninth at 319.7 yards allowed per contest.

"You want to be able to throw the ball as well as run the ball effectively, but there are times where something is being taken away you have to be good in other areas," coach Leslie Frazier said. "Fortunately for us, we're at a point as a team where we can make up for deficiencies in other areas."

Many thought the running game would be a weakness with Peterson just 10 months removed from a torn ACL and MCL, but the four-time All-Pro back is tied for third with 652 yards -- seven behind league-leader Arian Foster.

"We're definitely relying on our run game, and that's not a bad thing," Frazier said.

Peterson, who ran for 120 yards and two scores in last year's 24-20 home loss to Tampa Bay, could set a Vikings record with a 30th 100-yard rushing game.

"Peterson is as good as they get," Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano said. "… He runs with an attitude. We need to play run defense with an attitude. We have and we will."

Tampa Bay's run defense is third-best in the league, allowing 76.0 yards per game. However, the club is 31st in passing defense (323.0 ypg) after yielding 377 in last Sunday's 35-28 loss to New Orleans.

The Buccaneers (2-4) couldn't hold on to a 21-7 first-half lead as they failed to score in two second-half red-zone opportunities, but the offense is showing some positive signs behind quarterback Josh Freeman.

He threw for a career-best 420 yards against the Saints and has 748 with six TDs in the last two games. Tampa Bay has 976 yards in these contests after totaling 513 last Sunday. That was the second-most in club history, behind only a 573-yard effort in a 38-30 loss at Minnesota on Nov. 16, 1980.

"The offense is clicking well," rookie back Doug Martin, who ran for 85 yards and a score against New Orleans, told the Buccaneers' official website Monday. "That all comes with guys doing their jobs, and consistently doing their jobs. When everybody does that, the offense is very successful."

Smith, Antoine Winfield and the rest of the Vikings' secondary will have to keep an eye on Vincent Jackson, who is third in the league with 21.7 yards per catch and sixth with 586 receiving yards. Jackson set a Bucs record with 216 yards last Sunday, including a team-record 95-yarder in the third quarter that failed to lead to any points as Tampa Bay came up short on its next four plays.

The Buccaneers were far more efficient in the second half of last season's win over Minnesota, outscoring the Vikings 24-3 to erase a 17-0 halftime deficit.

Tampa Bay has won five straight in this series since a 20-16 road loss Sept. 30, 2001, but it has been outscored by an average of 18.2 points during its current road losing streak.

Should be a good game, and a nice primetime matchup for two teams that don't often receive it. I think the Bucs stopping AP in this game, but I don't believe that they can contain Rudolph and Harvin. Close win for the Vikings, IMO.

Edited by GoodellFTL

This is gonna be a tough one. The Vikings are 4-0 at home this year and only 1 road team has won on TNF this year, but I think we match up well against them. We have the #1 run D, while their main weapon on offense is AP. Ponder is not a guy who takes many chances down the field and they don't really have any deep threats so I don't think our secondary will get beat too bad. If we just focus on Harvin, we should be fine.

On offense, our o-line has been playing very well lately but they have a real good test this week with the Vikings d-line which generates a very good pass rush led by Jared Allen. Hopefully we can get the run game going so we can set up the pass, but if not, let's hope Josh can do what he has the last 3 weeks and keep this offense rolling.

I think we're going to come out strong in this game. It was a short week and I'm sure the players are still pissed about the Saints game. They're gonna want to take the revenge out on the Vikings.

I honestly have no idea who will win this game. I think it could go either way. I've had a good feeling about this one all week though(also felt last week we were going to lose in heartbreaking fashion against the Saints and that happened) so I think I am going to go with my Bucs.

Edited by GoodellFTL

If the 9ers couldn't stop AP, I don't see why the Bucs should be able to, especially in Minneapolis. Minny should run away with this one, but I only see that happening if Ponder recovers.

Edited by BwareDWare94

If the 9ers coudln't stop AP, I don't see why the Bucs should be able to, especially in Minneapolis. Minny should run away with this one, but I only see that happening if Ponder recovers.

Well, our run D is ranked third in the NFL, while the 49ers are ranked 10th. We're also ranked #1 in yards per carry.

Our run D has been stout this year. McCoy has been playing out of his mind and Lavonte David and Mason Foster have been tackling machines, and both have 8 tackles for a loss. It's amazing how much difference a year can make... last year we literally couldn't stop anyone's run game.

Well, our run D is ranked third in the NFL, while the 49ers are ranked 10th. We're also ranked #1 in yards per carry.

Our run D has been stout this year. McCoy has been playing out of his mind and Lavonte David and Mason Foster have been tackling machines, and both have 8 tackles for a loss. It's amazing how much difference a year can make... last year we literally couldn't stop anyone's run game.

Maybe, but you haven't played anything close to the likes of AP, Gerhart, and Harvin coming out of the backfield. I firmly believe Minnesota has the pieces to run on anybody, but hey, I might be wrong.

And let us not forget how dangerous Ponder is as a runner.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Maybe, but you haven't played anything close to the likes of AP, Gerhart, and Harvin coming out of the backfield. I firmly believe Minnesota has the pieces to run on anybody, but hey, I might be wrong.

And let us not forget how dangerous Ponder is as a runner.

Cam, Williams, Stewart and Tolbert are pretty damn scary and we shut them down. We also stoned both Jamaal Charles and DeMarco Murray. The only team that has really had success running on us is the Skins.

I took the Vikings in survival this week, so go Minnesota! :rock:

For the sake of my fantasy team, I hope V-Jax lights it up. :yep:

For the sake of my fantasy team, I hope V-Jax lights it up. :yep:

From what I have heard, the Vikings defense is really good at shutting down #1 receivers. They play a Tampa 2 that takes away most deep plays and you're supposed to attack that defense with intermediate passes over the middle. And they have shut down Fitz and Megatron already this season.

So, I wouldn't expect another amazing game for V-Jax, however, I could see Mike Williams having a big one which is why I started him as my flex this week. :yep:

Edited by GoodellFTL

I believe we have the talent on defense to shut down their running game and to limit Ponder's effectiveness. Our offense is also more than capable of putting good drives together, especially through the air to get points on the board. What I'm worried about is big plays. Big plays to Percy Harvin. The offense going 3 and out often and putting our D back out there while AP grinds us down.

We need a balanced game. As its been all season, we need to have a balanced game plan for 4 quarters.

I'm going out on a limb and saying we will win this game. 21-13. Our offense and Freeman are playing at a high level on a short week, should be able to carry that momentum into this game. They should also be very motivated after losing a close (controversial) game against the Saints.

:Bucs: 31

:Vikings: 20

Yea, I know this kind of bold, but I just have a really good feeling about this one. I think Freeman and our offense has another big game and our D plays good enough for us to win.

Edited by GoodellFTL
  • Upvote 1

How do you contend with the Bucs stopping Mr. Rudolph and Percy...both on defense and special teams?

How do you contend with the Bucs stopping Mr. Rudolph and Percy...both on defense and special teams?

We have been pretty good with Tight Ends this year. Fred Davis probably did the most damage and he only had 4 catches for 70 yards. Our linebackers are very athletic and can cover and have been very good overall this year.

I am a little worried about Percy, but like I said, I think if we just focus on him in the passing game he won't hurt us too bad. Our Special Teams is pretty good. Koenan is a good punter and we have good coverage on punts usually. He also almost always kicks it into the back of the endzone for kickoffs so I don't think we'll have to worry about that.

Dude, Rudolph isn't even that big a threat outside the redzone. I'm not worried about him at all. Percy Harvin? Yes, totally. I'm terrified of thats ability.

I took the Vikes on TGPs Pick em' but I really like Tampa tonight, I took them in a 5 team parlay too, I like them to win outright, but it will be close so Im banking on that +6.5

I like how everyone loves talking about AD, Harvin and Rudolph but nobody brings up how explosive our offense has been lately. I can't remember a Bucs offense ever having this much big play ability, but the problem for us is we just can't win close games. A 2-4 record is ugly, but we could easily be 6-0 too.

As for tonight, I have a good feeling, but it could just be gas. Either way, I'm excited to actually watch the team play.

@TBBuccaneers: The Bucs have just activated DE Da'Quan Bowers from the PUP list. He should play tonight against the Vikings.

kool-aid-man.jpg

Wow, this is awesome news. Our pass rush needed help BADLY. Hopefully Bowers can help us out.

Edited by GoodellFTL

It was hard not to pick the Bucs after that amazing offensive performance against the Saints..I went with the Vikes after lots of hesitation..

Playing in Minnesota has become quite tough this season. Got the Vikings in what should be another good TNF showdown.

:Bucs: 14

:Vikings: 20

I'll say the home team starts off strong, but as the game wears on, the Bucs' defense gets the upper hand and prevents Minnesota's offense from doing anything significant. Still, they can't stop Adrian Peterson from running out the clock, and a fourth quarter comeback falls just short.

:Vikings: 24

:Bucs: 21

Hope Bowers is ready to play. WOuld hate to rush him in and lose him for the season. He will make an immediate impact.

Vikings declared TE John Carlson, WR Jarius Wright, CB Brandon Burton, S Mistral Raymond, LB Audie Cole, and OL Mark Asper inactive for Thursday night's game against the Bucs.

Carlson suffered a concussion on Sunday, but he has been an utter disappointment this season anyway. The tight end sports a horrendous three catches for eight yards stat line. Rhett Ellison will back-up Kyle Rudolph. Raymond has been dealing with an ankle injury. McLeod Bethel-Thompson is the third quarterback.

Bucs DE Da'Quan Bowers (Achilles) is officially active for Thursday night's game against the Vikings.

Bowers tore his Achilles' tendon just five months ago, but the Bucs activated him off the PUP list just three hours before game time, so we knew he was going to play. Tampa Bay defensive ends have generated no pass rush in Bowers' and Adrian Clayborn's (torn ACL) absence. Bowers will join the rotation with Daniel Te'o-Nesheim and Michael Bennett, but his snaps will certainly be limited.

The Bucs declared RB Michael Smith, CB Myron Lewis, DB Keith Tandy, LB Najee Goode, G Cody Wallace, WR Chris Owusu, and TE Danny Noble inactive.