BLUE

Big Ben: Heath Miller is best TE in the NFL

Per Rotoworld.com:

Ben Roethlisberger believes Heath Miller is the best all-around tight end in the NFL.

"He's absolutely the best all-around tight end in the league," Roethlisberger said. "People are going to argue. But all-around tight end, there's no doubt about it." Miller is on pace for career highs in receptions, yards, and touchdowns in what is shaping up as a Pro Bowl season. Oct 26 - 9:37 AM

Source: Beaver County Times

No doubt most underrated. Glad I picked him up in our PPR league. :D

Been underrated his entire career and is a good reliable TE but the best in the league? No. But teammates can say that about other teammates so that's fine. Aaron Rodgers said the same about Finley last year and he's probably dropped a quarter of his passes since then.

Edited by dutchff7

Yeah I think he has been supremely underrated for years now. Althouogh best in the league is kind of a stretch.

I sort of agree with that. He is easily right there with Gronk for that title, at least in my opinion. He's a great receiving option, and he's a great blocker. Gronk I have slightly over him because he's better at receiving, but he's still a pretty good blocker when they ask him to stay in and block.

Miller has been under-rated his entire career. You won't find many tight ends that can do it all like Miller can.

Indeed he has been one of the most underrated players in the league ever since he came in, but this is the year where I truly do believe he is the best TE in the NFL, right now.

Indeed he has been one of the most underrated players in the league ever since he came in, but this is the year where I truly do believe he is the best TE in the NFL, right now.

Really? You put him above Gronk? I don't think I can do that. I can put him even with him. Gronkwoski has shown this year (Even though injured) he's a huge threat even when kept blocking for the run game AND the pass game. We already know he's a huge threat in the passing game as a receiver. Plus he's been dealing with a rib injury all year. I don't know man. I think right now it goes like this,

1. Gronkwoski

1b. Miller

3. Hernandez

4. Graham

5. Gonzalez

Really? You put him above Gronk? I don't think I can do that. I can put him even with him. Gronkwoski has shown this year (Even though injured) he's a huge threat even when kept blocking for the run game AND the pass game. We already know he's a huge threat in the passing game as a receiver. Plus he's been dealing with a rib injury all year. I don't know man. I think right now it goes like this,

1. Gronkwoski

1b. Miller

3. Hernandez

4. Graham

5. Gonzalez

It'd be a different story if Gronk wasn't playing hurt. A 100% healthy Gronk is def. better than Heath. I just think Heath is producing at a high level in so many different aspects of the game for the Steelers atm.

Just food for thought:

Gronkowski has 6 drops on the season while Miller has 0. Miller is consistently ranked at or near the top of the "least drops" list year in and year out.

Just food for thought:

Gronkowski has 6 drops on the season while Miller has 0. Miller is consistently ranked at or near the top of the "least drops" list year in and year out.

That is actually a really good stat though. Two things I would ask though is how many of those were the big plays Gronk attempts and was he drawing the coverage Gronk does. I think he gets much more attention which makes it harder for him.

No Vernon Davis in the top 5. Get out.

Just food for thought:

I did notice that actually, but what I have to look at just to see how much of a factor the drops are, the targets. How many more Targets does Gronk have on those drops? I also look at the fact that a lot of drops are deep plays for Gronk, or where he has double coverage blanketing him and Brady still tries to trust him and get him the ball.

And no, no Vernon Davis here. He's just too inconsistent for me right now. He hasn't really had that big game yet this year, and I really haven't been any more impressed with his blocking skills at any point in his career so far. He's one of the best receiving tight ends in the league when he's hot, but at tight end you have to be able to do so many things. Hernandez has even shown that he can block pretty well (last season) when they need him to. I would probably put Davis with or below Gonzalez (Who still produces at a high level).

Just food for thought:

Can we trade?

• Upvote 1

Best all around - sure I rank him in the top 5.

Best Receiving - eh, I mean he is a good receiving threat, I would definitely say top 10. He's just not the freak of nature that some of these players are (I.E. Gronk, Hernandez, Davis, Graham, and then the fringy guys that have that potential to be great receiving TEs like Pettigrew, Finley, Cook, etc.) He is definitely in the top top 10, just don't know if I can rank him a top 5 receiving TE.

Best Blocking - Definitely in the top 5. Potentially the best of all of the TEs too, IDK it's all up for debate.

Heath is a good player and a good person. One of the few Steelers that I don't hate :)

Jason Witten's performance this past Sunday would like to have a word with Big Ben.

• Downvote 1

Jason Witten's performance this past Sunday would like to have a word with Big Ben.

Yeah,Dante Rosario had one great game,too..Should he talk to Ben?

• Upvote 2

If it was not for the shitty play calling from Bruce Arians and the steelers woeful o line the past few years heath would be a household name.

• Upvote 1

Are you guys serious? He's a solid player, definitely not the top TE in the NFL though. Not even close. To be honest, I am shocked people would even put him in the conversation. I know he's a good blocker, but he's only had over 700 yards once in his career. Definitely not a big enough receiving threat to even be consider the best TE in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

That's more because he had to block more often because of the steelers shitty ass o line and Arians is one of the worst play callers ever.

I know I'm not seeing comparisons between Miller and Gronk... He's apart of the old brand of TE. The TE position has evolved becoming just as explosive as receivers. Miller isn't explosive by any means but you don't have to be explosive to do your job at that position. He doesn't necessarily shine in any aspect besides maybe blocking. Heath Miller overall is a solid and reliable TE. Heath has reliable hands, can make plays in the passing game, and is a good blocker. But the productivity of the TOP TEs in the league, Heath can't match that. In the Steelers scheme, he doesn't have to because he does his job. He's having an excellent start in the 1st half of the season but lets just not go overboard here.

Top TE's I would take in a heart beat:

Gronk

Jimmy Graham

Hernandez

Tony G

Jason Witten

Vernon Davis

Owen Daniels

and maybe Greg Olsen, Fred Davis, and Brent Celek whom I believe could be better if utilized properly.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1