Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

Typo in your thread title. Should have been "LucasFilm sells out to Disney."

I can't lie.. I will definitely be there when it opens.. Probably at a midnight showing. lol. Disney has done well with Marvel, I hope they do the same here. Stay true to the universe created for them and expand.

First scene should be Jar Jars head getting blown off.

I'm curious to see where the decide to go with the story. There's been a lot of material covered in books, wonder if they're going to adapt something, branch off into something new, or just screw continuity altogether.

First scene should be Jar Jars head getting blown off.

First off, I realize you were being facetious, but I've seen people comment about Jar Jar related to this story, but he would just seem out of place in Episode VII since he wasn't in Episodes IV, V, or VI, there's absolutely no way they bring him back

I actually am interested in seeing how they revive the series, but then again, I actually kinda enjoyed Episodes I, II, and III (with the exception of the last five minutes or so of III) so take that for what it's worth

First off, I realize you were being facetious, but I've seen people comment about Jar Jar related to this story, but he would just seem out of place in Episode VII since he wasn't in Episodes IV, V, or VI, there's absolutely no way they bring him back

I actually am interested in seeing how they revive the series, but then again, I actually kinda enjoyed Episodes I, II, and III (with the exception of the last five minutes or so of III) so take that for what it's worth

I was being facetious, but I also really don't want to see him back. lol. Like Vin has said, there is SO MUCH material out there regarding the Star Wars universe that I won't rule out any kind of story line.

I have never seen the original trio, but I thought I was meh, II was ATROCIOUS, and III was pretty awesome.

What the what?

You have never seen episodes 4-6?

Zack. This must be fixed. You have to get help man, and fast.

I was being facetious, but I also really don't want to see him back. lol. Like Vin has said, there is SO MUCH material out there regarding the Star Wars universe that I won't rule out any kind of story line.

fair enough, though I'd be surprised if don't try to maintain some continuity, another thing I wonder is if they'd need to get a separate agreement to adapt something that's already out there, my guess is (assuming someone in the LucasFilm legal department had half a brain) that any license they gave out to use the 'Star Wars' name for books or the like included a reservation of the movie rights for an adaptation, but you never know

By the time Episode 7 comes out it'll have been 32 years since the opening of Episode 6...not sure how this is gonna go down.

Thing to be considered is they bought Lucasfilm LTD. Not just the Star Wars franchise they got everything from Star Wars to ILM to Skywalker Sound to Indiana Jones and hopefully LucasArts. I would imagine it would also include the books licsening as well.

Being a Star Wars fanboy and geek I look forward to a new movie brought to me by the company that rescued Marvel movies and look forward to Lucas himself no being able to kill the franchise like I feel he was doing.

And Zack I agree with Thanatos that the fact you haven't seen 4,5 and 6 must be corrected immediately.

Adam Rank,NFL.com writer,made a list of NFL players and found their look-alike characters from the Star Wars..Here are some good ones:

09000d5d828db18e_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d828db150_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d828db106_gallery_600.jpg

Read the whole story here..

Edited by housemd
  • Upvote 1

I love to immerse myself in the Star Wars universe... but I am nowhere near a fan boy. For those of you who are more into it than I am... What do you want to see out of a plot line for this?

Do you want to see them put something together and continue the story they have already set up... or do you want them to do something new and kinda start fresh with the plot.

I love to immerse myself in the Star Wars universe... but I am nowhere near a fan boy. For those of you who are more into it than I am... What do you want to see out of a plot line for this?

Do you want to see them put something together and continue the story they have already set up... or do you want them to do something new and kinda start fresh with the plot.

Take the very first book trilogy and make a trilogy out of it.

I don't mean the books that came chronologically after Return of the Jedi- that would be the Truce at Bakura, which was pretty bad- I mean the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn, with Grand Admiral Thrawn as the bad guy, the very first books that came out after the movies.

It remains the best trilogy of Star Wars books, and would make one hell of an awesome trilogy of movies. And it would let them introduce Mara Jade.

Take the very first book trilogy and make a trilogy out of it.

I don't mean the books that came chronologically after Return of the Jedi- that would be the Truce at Bakura, which was pretty bad- I mean the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn, with Grand Admiral Thrawn as the bad guy, the very first books that came out after the movies.

It remains the best trilogy of Star Wars books, and would make one hell of an awesome trilogy of movies. And it would let them introduce Mara Jade.

Funny, I hated those books. Maybe it was the fact that I was 10 or so when I tried to read them, but I didn't have any issues with anything I read afterwards.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I hope they go with something new. If you continue after where RotJ ends (or soon after), then you're going to have to recast characters, and I don't think that would go over well.

Heir to the Empire is far and away the most popular books, I believe. Certainly the best. Thrawn remains the best enemy in any of the books, IMO, primarily because he didn't have force powers or anything like that, he was just one hell of a tactician. The way he took Coruscant out of the war for an extended period of time was just awesome.

Surprised you hated them- what other series have you read since?

The Fate of the Jedi series should certainly be out of the question, but given that the Clone Wars TV series had an episode in there just to help explain the existence of Abeloth, I'm wondering if they don't just skip right to that. I hope not. That was decidedly one of the worst series.

The New Jedi Order original series would also work, with the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, but it's rather long for just a trilogy. Plus of course, there's the matter of killing off a major character. Not sure how that would go over.

What if they went backwards? Like, to the Old Republic days. That seems like it would work.

Edited by Thanatos19

Heir to the Empire is far and away the most popular books, I believe. Certainly the best. Thrawn remains the best enemy in any of the books, IMO, primarily because he didn't have force powers or anything like that, he was just one hell of a tactician. The way he took Coruscant out of the war for an extended period of time was just awesome.

Surprised you hated them- what other series have you read since?

Let's see, I'm going to count series and standalone books... (thank you wikipedia for helping me remember)

The Han Solo Trilogy

Shadows of the Empire (standalone)

2/3rds of The Bounty Hunter Wars

Truce at Bakura (I concur with your opinion.)

The first four books of the X-Wing series (Corran Horn is awesome)

Courtship of Princess Leia (standalone)

The first four books of the Jedi Prince series

The Thrawn Trilogy (I think I read all of these. It's been a while...)

Champions of the Force (this was one of my favorites)

I, Jedi (standalone)

The Callista Trilogy

The Crystal Star (standalone)

2/3rds of The Black Fleet Crisis (Can't remember if I read all of this one or not, think I didn't read either the first or last book)

The Corellian Trilogy

A bunch of the Young Jedi Knights

Vector Prime (the most recent Star Wars book I've read)

Tales from Jabba's Palace

Tales of the Bounty Hunters

The New Jedi Order original series would also work, with the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, but it's rather long for just a trilogy. Plus of course, there's the matter of killing off a major character. Not sure how that would go over.

New Jedi Order is one of the things I was thinking of, even though I only read Vector Prime. But like you said, killing off a major character right away probably isn't the best way to reintroduce things.

What if they went backwards? Like, to the Old Republic days. That seems like it would work.

I despise prequels, but that's just probably me.

Adam Rank,NFL.com writer,made a list of NFL players and found their look-alike characters from the Star Wars..Here are some good ones:

cut photos out for space

09000d5d828db107_gallery_600.jpg

This one I actually liked.

And I always thought Darth Maul had the potential to be an awesome villain but they didn't do enough to make him a big part of the story.

Edited by badgers
  • Upvote 1

Let's see, I'm going to count series and standalone books... (thank you wikipedia for helping me remember)

The Han Solo Trilogy

Shadows of the Empire (standalone)

2/3rds of The Bounty Hunter Wars

Truce at Bakura (I concur with your opinion.)

The first four books of the X-Wing series (Corran Horn is awesome)

Courtship of Princess Leia (standalone)

The first four books of the Jedi Prince series

The Thrawn Trilogy (I think I read all of these. It's been a while...)

Champions of the Force (this was one of my favorites)

I, Jedi (standalone)

The Callista Trilogy

The Crystal Star (standalone)

2/3rds of The Black Fleet Crisis (Can't remember if I read all of this one or not, think I didn't read either the first or last book)

The Corellian Trilogy

A bunch of the Young Jedi Knights

Vector Prime (the most recent Star Wars book I've read)

Tales from Jabba's Palace

Tales of the Bounty Hunters

New Jedi Order is one of the things I was thinking of, even though I only read Vector Prime. But like you said, killing off a major character right away probably isn't the best way to reintroduce things.

I despise prequels, but that's just probably me.

I don't mean a prequel. WAY back. Like when KotOR was set, or even before that. It doesn't have to be related to the other six in any way except that its set in the same universe.

I mean, I guess its a prequel in the sense that it is before the others, but that would be the only way.

NJO also kills off another major character, although he is only major if you read the books. I just don't see it being received all that well by fans of the original series. And compacting the entire thing into three movies or so just doesn't seem like it would work all that well.

The Vong's ability where they are cut off from the Force and thus immune to it makes for a good plot, but only if Luke's been able to deal with other foes via the Force, and this makes the series very different. Thats why NJO was one of the best of the books, because it shook things up in a large way.

The more I think about it, the more I only see Heir to the Empire as a legitimate candidate for staying in the universe as has already been laid out. It would introduce Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Jacen and Jaina to a lesser extent, and Pellaeon, all major characters for later series.

Unless, they're just going to do a single movie to test the waters. And what are the chances of that.

Otherwise, I think they leave the established universe entirely.

And that last part is probably correct.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/31/star-wars-episode-vii-will-be-an-original-story

Yesterday, Star Wars fans were abuzz with excitement when Disney announced that they had acquired Lucasfilm in a $4.05 billion deal and were prepping a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode VII.

Now, according to E! Online, a Lucasfilm source said that the plot of the film will be "an original story." This means that Episode VII will not be an adaptation of any existing licensed Star Wars material. So, for those of you with your hearts set on that Thrawn Trilogy, I'm afraid your dreams reside in the Netherworld of the Force.

This RUMOR only adds to the mystery and intrigue surrounding the third Star Wars trilogy, because, well... now we have no earthly idea what it's about.

One person who might have a clue is Dale Pollock, author of the unauthorized biography Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas. In a chat with TheWrap, Pollock revealed that he was able to read the outlines to Episodes VII, VIII and IX, but had to sign a confidentiality agreement preventing him from revealing the specifics of their contents.

"It was originally a 12-part saga," recalled Pollock. "The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies.'" He added that an older version of Luke Skywalker appears in the final trilogy. We'll see if any of these elements remain in the final version of the third trilogy.

Finally, click here if you're curious what filmmakers such as J.J. Abrams, Jon Favreau, Damon Lindelof, and Robert Rodriguez think about the prospect of a new Star Wars trilogy.

Stay tuned for further Episode VII updates as they become available.

Finally, click here if you're curious what filmmakers such as J.J. Abrams, Jon Favreau, Damon Lindelof, and Robert Rodriguez think about the prospect of a new Star Wars trilogy.

you want to know what they're thinking? "How can I get in on that shit?"

Edited by oochymp

Well.

Damn.

Who have they tapped to direct it?

Rumor time.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/05/star-wars-episode-vii-director-rumors

Let's take everything that follows with a big, ol' grain of salt, shall we?

Less than a week after we learned that Disney bought Lucasfilm and that a new Star Wars movie trilogy was indeed in the works comes the first heavily reported rumors on who could direct Star Wars: Episode VII, which is slated for a 2015 release.

Collider claims that Matthew Vaughn, who directed Kick-Ass and X-Men: First Class, is in the running to helm Episode VII and that it was this possibility that made him opt not to direct X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Not to be outdone, MarketSaw claims the list of contenders to director Episode VII includes Lucas' best bud Steven Spielberg, District 9's Neill Blomkamp, Harry Potter vet Alfonso Cuaron, The Fountain's Darren Aronofsky, The Avengers' Joss Whedon, and the aforementioned Vaughn.

According to MarketSaw, "Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, C3PO and R2D2 are I am assured to feature prominently in the new trilogy, as was always the idea. Apparently some have already been approached. Quite a while back too to my understanding. Hamill is a certainty. There are two trilogies planned, all following an original overview by Lucas, which was always planned as a multi generational saga. Movies 10 - 12 are from my understanding about the offspring of the Skywalkers, set many years later with the surviving cast playing much older versions of themselves and featuring a female protagonist named Skywalker. This is something that I understand is being discussed as the latest trilogy may end up being an amalgamation of the two using themes and ideas from both, but still keeping the general story, also allowing for continuity of cast."