Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

Um. That's not my point at all.

There are a lot of people going bonkers over the saber being way off and its horrible and Abrams is ruining the Star Wars universe... when it was Lucas-approved fiction that kickstarted the "all these cool lightsabers" phase.

It's the nerds that are dead wrong that I am scoffing at, not the casual fan who never read any of the books.

We do indeed know what it is canon, since it was approved by Lucas. You act like its just a bunch of fiction written by random authors. The EU is, or at least was, part of the Star Wars universe- again, not my point at all, as that went completely over your head, but you are dead wrong on "we have no idea what we can really consider canon or not cause there's so many Star Wars universes." Not at all. There's one official universe and that's where the overwhelming majority of books and stories are written.

This policy has been further refined and fleshed out over the years. The Star Wars website also details the role of canon,Expanded Universe (or "EU") sources, and how they fit into overall Star Wars continuity. Christopher Cerasi stated,[source?]

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves—and only the films.

The hilt doesn't make a whole bunch of sense as far as effectiveness but I thought it looked cool at least

This policy has been further refined and fleshed out over the years. The Star Wars website also details the role of canon,Expanded Universe (or "EU") sources, and how they fit into overall Star Wars continuity. Christopher Cerasi stated,[source?]

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves—and only the films.

I don't know who Christopher Cerasi is, as he never wrote a single book in the EU that I read. Regardless of who he is, his opinion does not trump that of George Lucas, who had previously stated that the EU is canon. End of story.

Now that the new films are coming out they don't want to be linked 100% to the EU- which in hindsight is rather obvious, it would be too brutal due to character deaths for the average viewer- so they have now said it is not. Prior to that there was indeed only one canon- the films and the official licensed books.

The only gray area involves a certain line of comics published by Dark Horse, which were debated a lot whether or not they were part of the official Star Wars universe since a pair of events detailed in them conflict in the timeline with other events. (This line of comics is the one that has Luke temporarily fall to the Dark Side and become a henchman of the Emperor's clone.)

You are, once again, missing the overarching point of my post though, but apparently you no longer care about that, so whatever. Not gonna explain it again.

Point is, the Sith's lightsaber is not new or unique to any fan of Star Wars beyond the movies so there should be no real hoopla about it, and people acting like they are huge Star Wars fans and using this as a reason to complain about a saber hilt being like a sword's is just funny.

Edit: I found where your information came from and Cerasi is explaining what is canon now- ie after they have revoked the EU's official canon status. As of right now, yes, just the films, the Clone Wars tv series and the Clone Wars animated movie are considered canon.

Before this announcement by Lucasfilm, the entire EU was considered canon. It's even heavily implied in the same article you got your info from, as one does not bother to declare non-canon what was previously already non-canon. If Lucasfilms declared EU not canon from here on out, then by the very wording, the EU was previously canon.

Edit 2: More quotes from the same article, maybe you should read your own source lol.

"Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays."
Edited by Thanatos19

I really kinda wish they had just used Thrawn as the villian. But I guess we are locked onto the Jedi/Sith battle for all time.

Thrawn was easily the best villian in the EU, because he didn't need the force to battle with the Jedi- he was just that much of a tactical genius.

I really kinda wish they had just used Thrawn as the villian. But I guess we are locked onto the Jedi/Sith battle for all time.

Thrawn was easily the best villian in the EU, because he didn't need the force to battle with the Jedi- he was just that much of a tactical genius.

Closest anyone came to beating the heroes until the New Jedi Order story arc.

Edited by BigBen07

Closest anyone came to beating the heroes until the New Jedi Order story arc.

NJO and Darth Caedus are why they can't stick to the EU. Can you imagine the outcry from fans, lol?

NJO and Darth Caedus are why they can't stick to the EU. Can you imagine the outcry from fans, lol?

Oh, God yes.

NJO was already notorious for killing off Chewie. They do that in a flim, Lucas is getting marked lol

Yuuzhan Vong would be pretty awesome in a movie. (I'm only basing this off of Vector Prime though. Dunno how good/bad things went after that book.)

I don't know who Christopher Cerasi is, as he never wrote a single book in the EU that I read. Regardless of who he is, his opinion does not trump that of George Lucas, who had previously stated that the EU is canon. End of story.

Now that the new films are coming out they don't want to be linked 100% to the EU- which in hindsight is rather obvious, it would be too brutal due to character deaths for the average viewer- so they have now said it is not. Prior to that there was indeed only one canon- the films and the official licensed books.

The only gray area involves a certain line of comics published by Dark Horse, which were debated a lot whether or not they were part of the official Star Wars universe since a pair of events detailed in them conflict in the timeline with other events. (This line of comics is the one that has Luke temporarily fall to the Dark Side and become a henchman of the Emperor's clone.)

You are, once again, missing the overarching point of my post though, but apparently you no longer care about that, so whatever. Not gonna explain it again.

Point is, the Sith's lightsaber is not new or unique to any fan of Star Wars beyond the movies so there should be no real hoopla about it, and people acting like they are huge Star Wars fans and using this as a reason to complain about a saber hilt being like a sword's is just funny.

Edit: I found where your information came from and Cerasi is explaining what is canon now- ie after they have revoked the EU's official canon status. As of right now, yes, just the films, the Clone Wars tv series and the Clone Wars animated movie are considered canon.

Before this announcement by Lucasfilm, the entire EU was considered canon. It's even heavily implied in the same article you got your info from, as one does not bother to declare non-canon what was previously already non-canon. If Lucasfilms declared EU not canon from here on out, then by the very wording, the EU was previously canon.

Edit 2: More quotes from the same article, maybe you should read your own source lol.

When I made my post, I was just trolling. I've only seen episodes 1, 2, and 3 anyway. I never claimed I was a huge Star Wars fan, lol. And also, obviously just like anything else, they change something that wasn't broke to begin with, you're gonna hear outcry.

Edited by Spartan Havoc

Yuuzhan Vong would be pretty awesome in a movie. (I'm only basing this off of Vector Prime though. Dunno how good/bad things went after that book.)

Anakin Solo is also killed by the Vong, rendering Chewie's sacrifice somewhat worthless. In the same attack where Anakin is killed, Jacen is captured by the Vong who attempt to break him and basically succeed, though not in the way they wanted. Jacen falls to the Dark Side and his twin sister has to kill him in a duel because Luke is too afraid to take Jacen on since he thinks he'd kill him in hate, given that Jacen killed Luke's wife, Mara Jade. What's more, at the last minute, Jacen drops his guard to warn his girlfriend that someone is coming to kill their daughter and so Jaina basically ends up murdering her brother as he doesn't try to stop the killing strike. The scene at the end of Invincible where she is cradling his body and throwing lightning at anyone who gets near them is heartbreaking. They'd never do that to Han, Luke and Leia on the big screen.

Edited by Thanatos19

Well, that's...something.

Kinda makes me glad I didn't read past Vector Prime. :badass:

:panic:

I love that they still haven't established the plot yet. Cannot wait until this movie.

• Upvote 1

HANNNN!!!

Omg cannot wait for this movie.

I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies, but have wanted to in recent years and just never got around to it. Now that Episode 7 is coming out I'm going to sit down and watch all of them before it does.

Problem is I'm not sure if I should watch it chronologically by episode order or in order of release, what do you guys think?

Order of release.

Or, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi.

I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies

neil-patrick-harris-spit-take.gif

Problem is I'm not sure if I should watch it chronologically by episode order or in order of release, what do you guys think?

Order of release. 4-6 then 1-3.

Or, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi.

I've heard this is a great way to do it, preserves good spoilers in both trilogies

So the standalone Star Wars film that Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) is directing is "Rogue One" which is gonna come out Dec. '16 and detail the events of the theft of the Death Star plans.

My interest has diminished considerably.

• Upvote 1

http://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-2nd-anthology-film-will-be-boba-fetts-origin-story/

Josh Trank recently exited the Disney project, which will follow the galaxy’s most notorious bounty hunter

The next “Star Wars” anthology movie due in 2018 that recently lost director Josh Trank will be a Boba Fett origin story, confirming one of many rumors that have appeared online in the last several months, TheWrap has learned.

A representative for Disney had no comment.

Boba Fett is a Mandalorian warrior who was trained by his father-figure Jango Fett and became a notorious bounty hunter throughout the galaxy. His travels led him to work for the Empire, collaborate with Darth Vader and take assignments from figures such as Jabba the Hutt, for whom he once captured Han Solo.

The beloved character was primarily played by English actor Jeremy Bulloch in “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi.”

Also Read: Josh Trank Exiting 'Star Wars' Spinoff Film

The first standalone anthology film will be Gareth Edwards‘ “Star Wars: Rogue One,” which will star Felicity Jones, Ben Mendelsohn and Riz Ahmed. That film follows a group of resistance fighters who unite for a daring mission to steal the plans for the Death Star.

With rebel spies the focus of “Rogue One,” the next anthology film will explore the rich world of bounty hunters in the “Star Wars” galaxy.

Writer-producer Simon Kinberg has been closely involved in the creative process for the second anthology film, which is set in a separate movie universe that is not associated with “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” or upcoming Episodes VIII and IX.

Also Read: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens': Vanity Fair Reveals What Side of The Force Adam Driver Is On (Video)

Trank, who directed “Chronicle” and the new “Fantastic Four” movie, exited the untitled project on Friday afternoon, which he claimed was his decision. However, insiders have told TheWrap that Disney initiated the departure over concerns regarding what many have perceived as “erratic behavior” during the production of “Fantastic Four,” which was produced by Kinberg.

“After a year of having the incredible honor of developing with the wonderful and talented people at Lucasfilm, I’m making a personal decision to move forward on a different path. I’ve put a tremendous amount of thought into this, and I know deep down in my heart that I want to pursue some original creative opportunities,” said Trank, who cited a nasty flu as the reason why he missed the Star Wars celebration in April, though insiders suggest that Disney asked him not to attend.

Disney and Lucasfilm czar Kathleen Kennedy will begin searching for a new director, who could very well be hired before “Rogue One” starts production this summer in advance of its December 2016 release.

This movie had better end with him

blowing himself out of the Sarlacc Pit like in the EU

Also,

https://twitter.com/EpisodeVII/status/595253308383715328

Edited by Vin