Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

just got back and it was awesome, not gonna do a full post right now because it's 11:22 and I have to work tomorrow, but the only downside IMO was

Luke had such a small role, but I'm hopeful that means there are big things planned for him in 8 and 9

Finally got to see it tonight, it was pretty good. I had some crap spoiled by stupid friends, which brought the experience down for me but I enjoyed the movie. Looking forward to some more Star Wars in the future.

I know I'm probably gonna get negged for this, but I have a feeling like once the nostalgia feel is over people will wake up and see this movie could have been way better. Plus, Kylo Ren got scarred in his face so now he'll just wear the mask from now on.

Edited by Spartan Havoc

I know I'm probably gonna get negged for this, but I have a feeling like once the nostalgia feel is over people will wake up and see this movie could have been way better. Plus, Kylo Ren got scarred in his face so now he'll just wear the mask from now on.

I was actually having a similar thought about the nostalgia and was trying to remember how I felt after coming out of The Phantom Menace for the first time, but couldn't. That is still my favorite of the three prequels even if it is flawed. I think I will rank this one higher than all of the prequels after the come down, and probably higher than Jedi because ewoks, but time will tell.

I went and saw it for the second time yesterday. It was even better the second time around.

I LOVE Kylo Ren and he is already one of the best villains ever, IMO. I love Rey even more. I mean, everything about her. She's just badass in every way and her facial expressions are epic.

I'm digging Than's theory about Rey, but I am convinced she's Luke's daughter. Nothing you can say will change that! lol

There is so much left unanswered and I am looking forward to theorizing with you all up until episode VIII.

Is it just me or does it seem like Ren knows (or at least has an idea) about who Rey is? I mean he obviously does not come out right and say it, but his reaction to "they had help from a girl" after him knowing Finn and BB-8 were on Jakku (where Rey was left as a child) and he seemed to be afraid of her. He immediately went after her in the woods when he landed near Maz's place and found out where she was last seen. His immediate willingness to wanting to train her.

My theory is that Rey was with Luke and Ren when they were training the new order of Jedi and Ren was supposed to kill her along with the rest and he couldn't bring himself to kill his young cousin (he is very conflicted and questioning his actions after all) so he took and left her on some desert junk planet where no one would find her. Luke thinks she is dead and played a big part (along with losing Ben) in why he left into seclusion. I mean, in Rey's vision after touching Luke's lightsaber, you see Luke on his knees and his hand on R2D2 and Kylo Ren standing in the wake of the dead Jedi trainees. Her being left on Jakku was connected and included in the same vision.

OOOORRRR Luke is able to escape with her and leaves her on Jakku because, with what happened to Ren (succumbing to the Darkside), he's afraid the same would happen to Rey. So he puts her somewhere where she can grow up uninfluenced by either side like he was and Lor San Tekka is watching over her...

Luke's lightsaber calling to her...the immediate vision when touching it...what Maz said to her...the lightsaber going to her over Ren in the forest fight on Starkiller Base...Luke seemed to recognize her and seemingly having tears in his eyes...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it seemed pretty convenient that R2D2 finally wakes up from his little hibernation when Rey comes to the Rebellion base. Another clue that Rey is Luke's daughter?

What I am trying to say is...PLEASE BE LUKE'S DAUGHTER! lol Luke pls

Edited by BucD
  • Upvote 2

the more I think about it the more I like Kylo Ren

at first I didn't like the clean look when he pulled the mask off, it just made the masked look feel to artificial, but I think that's what they're going for, he's trying so hard to be Vader but he's not quite there yet

this movie did an amazing job of setting up this trilogy, they introduced some great new characters, had enough tie-ins with old characters, and left just enough questions to be answered, in terms of how this will stand up I think a lot of it depends on how some of those questions are answered in the next two movies, but they're off to a great start

also, how long are we sticking to the spoiler tags? I know I just avoided this thread until I watched the movie, it's not like anyone's using this thread to discuss anything else, so I'm not sure they're entirely necessary

Edited by oochymp

Someone please explain to me what there is to like about Kylo Ren? Dude got fucked up by TWO people who just miraculously knew how to use a lightsaber for one. And 2, there's no point in talking about his actual face. You won't ever see it again, cause otherwise scarring his face was pointless as all hell....

Someone please explain to me what there is to like about Kylo Ren? Dude got fucked up by TWO people who just miraculously knew how to use a lightsaber for one. And 2, there's no point in talking about his actual face. You won't ever see it again, cause otherwise scarring his face was pointless as all hell....

He was shot in the fucking leg. If you didn't notice throughout the movie, Chewie's crossbow fucked everyone up. So, he took a crossbow shot to the leg, still managed to overpower a fully healthy Finn, and nearly overpowered Rey despite his injury plus what I would assume is exhaustion. Please, point me to someone who has been shot in the leg and then was able to take on two consecutive people in lightsaber fights. Kylo is clearly a very powerful force user, but being shot in the leg is something that most people use as an excuse to not even walk.

This was all with having a clearly inferior weapon to Anakin's former lightsaber.

The point of his face is to show he's human. I thought he was just some terrifying military leader with force powers, but then he took off his mask and he looked like a normal dude. Then, you realize this normal dude is capable of incredibly evil things (some deep message? maybe...). Even then, you see the emotional conflict he's going in, and when he kills his father, you realize that he's that fucked up kind of person who doesn't WANT to be good, he's actively trying to filter out any good in his life. That's an incredible character.

This may sound weird, but I thought Kylo Ren was more of a monster after he took off his mask. I think that's what they were going for. Also, people calling him a pussy are annoying. It pisses me off whenever someone screams "pussy" because a male character has emotional struggles. Shows how ignorant and/or stupid that person is with respect to what a villain goes through.

Edited by OSUViking

Ren is still relatively young in his training and is fighting extremely emotionally after just killing his father. I think he is still a bit conflicted, although killing Hon definitely helped push him over to the darkside that much more.

Also, I guess you forgot about chewing shooting him with his crossbow blaster.

He was clearly toying with Finn and Rey is clearly very very strong with the force even without any training. I also think that they wanted to make it a focusing point when they showed her getting attacked for BB-8 earlier in the movie. Showing Finn about to come to her rescue and her clearly not needing any help and she's somewhat skilled in hand-to-hand combat with her staff which is lightsaber-like.

• Upvote 1

Also, everything BucD said is true *about Kylo Ren and why he struggled with Rey.

Edited by OSUViking

On Kylo Ren:

I think some of you guys are missing the point about Ren. The fact that he's not a total badass and has so many flaws is precisely what makes him an intriguing character, and that's not even considering the fact that he's Ben Solo.

SO MUCH THIS ^^^^

• Upvote 1

I saw the movie Friday morning with my pops in IMAX 3D. I'm going to see it again in standard format sometime soon hopefully. I've been reading this thread for the past few days just being too lazy to post my own thoughts, but I'll finally do it:

I thought the movie was good. Not as hyped up as people were making it out to be, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Better than the prequels. Kylo Ren is awesome. You guys were spot on responding to Spartan, specifically Steven. We saw some immaturity from Ren which I liked because he is a young sith that is still struggling with the Light in him.

Yes, there were many similar characteristics to Episode IV, but I'm kinda OK with that. Episode IV set the foundation for Episode V and VI to be awesome, and I have a feeling this one is going to be the same with VIII and IX. I liked the new characters and their respective actors. Abrams tied in a lot of original trilogy aspects which was cool.

I went with the assumption Rey was Han/Leia's daughter throughout the movie. There were just little indications I was seeing that made me think that (saying same thing as Han while in the Falcon, long embrace with Leia after Han's death, only a letter off from her "brother's" name in Ren - yes I realize his original name is Ben, but still lol). There is a strong argument for Luke's daughter as well, but we'll see.

And yeah, I don't think spoiler tags are necessary anymore. If you haven't seen the movie at this point, you should expect to see spoilers when venturing into a Star Wars thread.

Edited by Maverick

Should change the thread name to Force Awakens Discussion though.

Edit: not that there are a bunch of people that would wander in not knowing though so whatever...

Edited by GA_Eagle

General thoughts:

As I think more and more about this movie, I'm thinking it was a little too heavily reliant on old Star Wars formulas. I mean, the movie was essentially A New Hope. But since they set up the rest of the trilogy so well, I'm ok with it, as long as they branch out in the next two movies. I mean, they very well could just repeat the plot of the original trilogy, something like:

• Luke trains Rey and Finn.
  • Resistance vs. First Order heats up.
  • Snoke helps Ren become more evil awesome.
  • Crazy saber duel between Ren and Rey/Finn, results in Rey or Finn losing limb.
  • One of Rey/Finn or Poe is captured.
  • Luke fights Ren and allows himself to be killed like Obi-Wan against Vader.
  • Good guys rescue Rey/Finn/Poe.
  • Epic final space battle. Poe is the hero, Rey/Finn convince Ren to turn good. Ren kills Snoke.

So yeah. Hopefully it's something more creative. :p

I've said most of my thoughts on the movie in my radio review. But I'm waiting for the hype to die down and people just admit they like this movie cause it was a beat by beat remake of Episode 4. I got into this on my review...and there is nothing wrong with going back to the well and doing what created the fan base in the first place...but this is just the same thing with new characters. Smart my JJ not being to gutsy, but for me personally I would have liked something more original. That's why I didn't mind the prequels...the story was imaginative like only Lucas could do.

Also not really a spoiler....I didn't like the little screen time Captain Phasma received. The hype I was hearing around her made it seem like she was gonna be even more ruthless than Kylo. We barely see her in the movie.

Edited by butta54

I welled up like 3 times during the movie the first time I watched it. When they're on the Falcon the first time with Han talking about Luke, and she's like "you knew him?" and the rest of that little seen killed me. Idk why.

Ren was visibly shook when he felt the force in another being. How long has it been? Like a decade maybe? He pretty much killed Finn, and Rey was already whoopin asses with her stick thing in the beginning, so she's a scrapper (pun). I also think that when he mentioned the Force and she closed her eyes the Force kind of willed her to win. I mean it's the Force, it can do whatever it wants. If Luke makes her build her own saber and it's a double blade I will weep with joy. WEEP.

Did someone actually confirm his name is Ben Solo? I kind of thought Han could have yelled Ren there at the showdown. Han and Leia's son's name is Jacen in the novels, but he goes by Darth Caedus. Luke's son's name is Ben. :shrug: they might be rewriting canon for the sake of simplification (and to keep things hidden and suspenseful) which is totally cool with me. Either way I think Kylo Ren is a great character that can go in a lot of directions.

Lor San Takka (old guy in the beginning) is a character made up for the movie. He's not in any books or anything. From what I gathered he ran like a Force church for people who believed but couldn't actually manipulate the Force.

Just an opinion, but I think Rey is a Kenobi.

@butta, Yeah I wanted more of her too (I absolutely love Gwendoline Christie). I don't think she's dead, so hopefully she's in the next film.

Was one of the planets the Starkiller Sun Bazooka blew up Coruscant?

And do you think that thing was named after this Starkiller?

tfu2___starkiller_5_by_meioh_sama-d31o0q

Edited by theMileHighGuy
  • Upvote 1

@MHG those novels aren't canon anymore. So Kylo is just Ben Solo which I think was a nod to the novels since Ben was the son of Luke. I really like your theory on Rey! I tend to feel like the movie is trying to lean us towards thinking Rey is Luke's daughter which usually means that isn't the case.

No Spoiler Tags

giphy.gif

Yeah... I mean if it does turn out to be true, she couldn't be Obi-Wan's kid because of the time difference. I was kind of thinking that maybe her parents knew about Obi-Wan getting taken to be a Jedi at a young age, and didn't want that for her, so they left her there with the intention to come back and something happened to them and they never did.

I kind of figured that they were rewriting from the novels. Otherwise Leia could've trained Rey a little bit herself. Dunno how much, if anything, Luke taught her in the movie universe. Probably just how to smoke 3 packs a day. :lol:

Edited by theMileHighGuy

you know, I get the comparisons to A New Hope, there are definitely some similarities, but there are some very key differences, for one Kylo Ren is nowhere near what Darth Vader was in ANH, and I'm not sure Ren will get there, that's what's going to make VIII and IX so interesting, it also felt like the power balance was a lot more even in TFA between the Resistance and the First Order than it was between the Rebels and the Empire in ANH, and to me that's a pretty significant shift, like Stevo said, they could easily follow the pattern from the original trilogy, but I think they've given themselves plenty of space to continue in a different direction

I've said most of my thoughts on the movie in my radio review. But I'm waiting for the hype to die down and people just admit they like this movie cause it was a beat by beat remake of Episode 4.

I think most of those that like it think that that was one of the drawbacks. It seems to be the biggest criticism that consistently pops up. So I would say most that like it, like it in spite of that not because of it.

• Upvote 1

I think most of those that like it think that that was one of the drawbacks. It seems to be the biggest criticism that consistently pops up. So I would say most that like it, like it in spite of that not because of it.

I kinda disagree. That's why I said people haven't admitted it. The number one thing I heard by far from the non-spoiler reviews were people talking about how this "Feels like Star Wars again" in a way that the prequels never did. And I went into that on my review...the reason it "felt" like Star Wars is cause it is the same bones from the original movie. Again I don't think it is a problem. I think it was a good way to bring in the old and new fans...just wish people would be honest about it. Had this movie not been a war between a good and bad side with a new hero learning about their "destiny" and a huge threat to go blow up...it would not have "felt" like Star Wars just like people were mad the prequels was so much about politics.

Had this movie not been a war between a good and bad side with a new hero learning about their "destiny"

I get what you're saying... but then what would the movie have been about? :lol:

A Star Wars movie without good vs. evil? Just all the old characters putzing about the universe?

There was obviously a lot of nods to the old franchise, but it was presented in a way that felt new to me. I think the phrase 'blatant-ripoff' I've seen on some critic sites is a little harsh and maybe a little haterish and underhanded.