Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

I'm seeing TLJ again this Saturday, in IMAX. Will re-evaluate after that.

Wowowow...WAY BETTER on a second viewing. It may have enhanced the experience because I was watching it in 3D, but that was AWESOME. All the little plot holes that bothered me before didn't this time around. All the minor plot points that I found strange make perfect sense now.

The only major problems I have with the movie are that the Canto Bight plotline is 95% a waste of time (we did need to see that little boy) and Rose preventing Finn's sacrifice is mind-boggingly stupid. Otherwise, my issues are nitpicky and can be applied to any film. Overall, that was a goddamn fucking awesome Star Wars movie. Better than The Force Awakens? I don't know yet. TFA is safe but entertaining. TLJ is ambitious but flawed. I love 'em both.

Cinematography on all the space battles was awesome (3D definitely helped here).

Leia's character was perfectly acted and written. "Wipe that worried look off your face, Threepio."

Luke and Yoda's scene together is perfect.

The throne room scene with Kylo killing Snoke is an all-time great Star Wars moment.

Luke Skywalker's entire story arc, given time to process it, is amazing.

Things I saw/noticed that I missed on first viewing:

• I bitched about the supposed plot hole of the star destroyers just chasing the rebel ships the whole time and not being able to catch up, but one of Hux's subordinates actually mentions how the smaller ship is faster and they therefore can only keep pace with them.
  • When Kylo and Rey first establish a Force connection, Kylo says, "You aren't doing this yourself. The concentration would kill you." Well, that's what happens to Luke in the end.
  • As the last of the Resistance is escaping Crait, Kylo finds the golden dice from the Millenium Falcon...which turn out to be a projection. That's Rey projecting them! She's doing what Luke just did, but on a much smaller scale.
  • The closing credits, after the initial wave of cast members, say "In Loving Memory of our Princess, CARRIE FISHER, and Leia's theme starts playing. :(

Episode VIII might possibly be the worst Star Wars movie to date... The more time I have to think on it, the worse it gets. If y'all want to talk about it, I'd love to, but I just can't see how any one over the age of 16 that has seen the other Star Wars movies can call this movie anything better than a steaming pile of shit...

Youve seen Return of the Jedi as an adult and think it holds up?

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 1

Youve seen Return of the Jedi as an adult and think it holds up?

Yes? The OT are all great movies.

It's the prequels that aren't.

ROTJ is the best star wars. Fight me.

Stevo: Didn't Luke give those dice to Leia when he first walked in the cave?

Yeah that's not Rey projecting them, its Luke. He gives them to Leia.

Idk why they dont vanish when he dies, except for cool plot reasons.

ROTJ is the best star wars. Fight me.

Stevo: Didn't Luke give those dice to Leia when he first walked in the cave?

Yes. I stand corrected. I'd like to think Leia took those with her--why would she drop them?--and Rey projected her own pair. But that's me.

Yes? The OT are all great movies.

It's the prequels that aren't.

Return of the Jedi is ridiculous in a bunch of parts. There are decent parts but the moon of Endor stuff is terrible. Leias story arc kinda sucks. Shes a bad ass and ends up lovestruck and mooning through the woods with living teddy bears. Those teddy bears somehow beat the imperials with sticks and rocks.

Han kinda becomes a side note too.

The good stuff... it starts good. I like the Jabbas palace scene a lot. Lukes story is pretty good. Idk, Its a watchable movie and not the worst by any means but nostalgia amps it up for most people, IMO.

Edit: forgot about Tarzan yelling Chewie.

Edited by GA_Eagle

Maybe ROTJ was the precedent for it, but blind Donnie Yen was out there knocking stormtroopers unconscious with a stick in Rogue One.

Maybe ROTJ was the precedent for it, but blind Donnie Yen was out there knocking stormtroopers unconscious with a stick in Rogue One.

True. He did die though. Wicket lives to make two made for TV movies.

I finally got around to seeing this movie even though I am a huge Star Wars fan. Unfortunately, I have been busy and came down with the flu the day I was supposed to see. I share many of the same thoughts as you guys. However, I will say that I watched the TFA again last week and I really love that movie. So I wouldn't go as far as saying this one was better on first watch. But this movie had some REALLY great moments.

The really great moments:

The light speed collision scene with Laura Dern's character where it goes completely silent was absolutely top notch...unfortunately for me some dumbass had to ruin it and talk during it (as she did throughout the movie).

The Snoke betrayal and the ensuing fight afterwards was really top notch action and really well done.

Lastly, the Luke Projection scene...once Luke closed his lightsaber I was ready to be angry but once it was shown to be a projection it was so satisfying seeing him toy with Kylo.

I agree with everyone, I think the Leia in space scene could have been executed better but the idea wasn't terrible. I feel like the end justified the means regarding the Finn/Rose story line, where at the end you see the birth of the new rebellion with the kid & the broom. The Finn suicide mission and Leia in space were the only scenes I didn't like.

One of the things, I think you guys have wrong is that I believe Hux is supposed to be kind of a joke.

Lastly, I was little disappointed that we didn't see much of Poe in action as he is my favorite character and I was really hoping he and Kylo would have a showdown in space. The star fighter battle scenes in these movies are by far my favorites.

Edited by BJORN
  • Upvote 1

I finally got around to seeing this movie even though I am a huge Star Wars fan. Unfortunately, I have been busy and came down with the flu the day I was supposed to see. I share many of the same thoughts as you guys. However, I will say that I watched the TFA again last week and I really love that movie. So I wouldn't go as far as saying this one was better on first watch. But this movie had some REALLY great moments.

The really great moments:

The light speed collision scene with Laura Dern's character where it goes completely silent was absolutely top notch...unfortunately for me some dumbass had to ruin it and talk during it (as she did throughout the movie).

The Snoke betrayal and the ensuing fight afterwards was really top notch action and really well done.

Lastly, the Luke Projection scene...once Luke closed his lightsaber I was ready to be angry but once it was shown to be a projection it was so satisfying seeing him toy with Kylo.

I agree with everyone, I think the Leia in space scene could have been executed better but the idea wasn't terrible. I feel like the end justified the means regarding the Finn/Rose story line, where at the end you see the birth of the new rebellion with the kid & the broom. The Finn suicide mission and Leia in space were the only scenes I didn't like.

One of the things, I think you guys have wrong is that I believe Hux is supposed to be kind of a joke.

Lastly, I was little disappointed that we didn't see much of Poe in action as he is my favorite character and I was really hoping he and Kylo would have a showdown in space. The star fighter battle scenes in these movies are by far my favorites.

Hux is a joke... I thought people kinda got that until I read through this thread. Although I could totally be wrong, just my perception of the character.

• Upvote 1

They should have just let that character go. Trailer looks awful... I mean I still have to see it but yikes.

• Upvote 1

“Game of Thrones” creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going to write and produce a new series of “Star Wars” films, Disney announced on Tuesday.

The new series will be separate from the main episodic Skywalker saga that started with “Star Wars: A New Hope” and is slated to wrap up with 2019’s “Star Wars: Episode IX.” It will also exist independently from a Rian Johnson-helmed series that was announced last year.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/game-thrones-creators-write-produce-203528266.html

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that actor for Han doesn't seem to fit, imo.

So we're getting two new series after IX, pretty cool. Hope they delve into some of the dark or ancient shit in the Legends universe. I've been watching a lot of videos on the old histories and Sith and some of it is just plain badass.

Is there such a thing as too much Star Wars?

Yes. Yes, there is.

Is there such a thing as too much Star Wars?

Yes. Yes, there is.

There's a lot of ground that can be covered. I think Rogue One was a good movie, but not necessarily one that NEEDED to be made. Han seems bleh. Recycling or dredging up more of the same seems superfluous. Telling stories from other eras, though, is new and leaves room for creativity.

I'm not that excited about D and D. I don't know what their circumstances were with GOT Season 7, but I thought it was kind of unwatchable when I went through it again. There are 6 other seasons I loved, but I also wonder how much the groundwork from Martin influenced that.

I think the success of Thrones has kind of worked against it. I would guess that a lot of the reason it felt so rushed is because they had to work around a lot of schedules. Hopefully the fact that we have to wait two years will mean that we get a great final season.

Finally saw the new Star Wars. It felt too much like Avengers to be honest. Star Wars is similar to the Super Hero genre in some respects but the Star Wars films should not feel like that imo.

http://www.starwars.com/news/jon-favreau-to-executive-produce-write-live-action-star-wars-series

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau has signed on to executive produce and write a live-action Star Wars series for Disney’s new direct-to-consumer platform. Favreau is no stranger to the Star Wars galaxy having played roles in both the Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series and in the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story.

“I couldn’t be more excited about Jon coming on board to produce and write for the new direct-to-consumer platform,” says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “Jon brings the perfect mix of producing and writing talent, combined with a fluency in the Star Wars universe. This series will allow Jon the chance to work with a diverse group of writers and directors and give Lucasfilm the opportunity to build a robust talent base.”

Favreau is thrilled to be returning to the Star Wars galaxy: “If you told me at 11 years old that I would be getting to tell stories in the Star Wars universe, I wouldn’t have believed you. I can’t wait to embark upon this exciting adventure.”

Disney’s collaborations with Favreau extend back a decade, when he helped launch the Marvel Cinematic Universe as director of Iron Man and Iron Man 2 and as an executive producer of the Iron Man and Avengers films for Marvel Studios.

For Disney, he directed and produced the massively successful The Jungle Book, which won an Academy Award for its groundbreaking visual effects. He is currently in production on Disney’s highly anticipated reimagining of The Lion King, set for release in 2019.

The untitled Star Wars live-action series does not yet have a release date.

That's enough, Disney. Please stop.

That's enough, Disney. Please stop.

Unfortunately, there's still money to be made, so they won't stop.

What's wrong with Favreau? Guys a good director, this is great news.