Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

Favreau's not the problem. it's that we don't need a live action Star Wars TV show.

We don’t need more Star Wars anything.

We don’t need more Star Wars anything.

han-solo.gif

• Upvote 2

Favreau's not the problem. it's that we don't need a live action Star Wars TV show.

We don't need TV's and movies in general then? :think:

I gotta agree with Vin here. I really doubt they'd be able to successfully port SW to a live-action series. Clone Wars was a lot of fun, but it was CGI. I hated Rebels but not enough to discredit CW.

Time will tell.

Jon Favreau seems like a nice guy, but I think he's a hack and not one bit of me trusts that a SW TV show will be anything but hot garbage. Gross.

This TV show will be great, you gotta remember this is to launch a streaming service. Disney won't fuck it up.

• Upvote 1

This TV show will be great, you gotta remember this is to launch a streaming service. Disney won't fuck it up.

Maybe, but Disney and Favreau have cranked out a lot of "crowd pleasing" crap that doesn't appeal to me, so I'm not sure that I expect much different here.

• Upvote 1

A Star Wars TV show seems meh and a money grab.

A Star Wars TV show seems meh and a money grab.

Love this logic. Please describe moneygrab from a movie studio's perspective. What is there to gain?

Because Disney didn’t kill ESPN or anything.

Because Disney didnt kill ESPN or anything.

ESPN is still doing great. Please tell me how ESPN is doing badly. Dont say ratings, cause that's a retarded statement. Everyone is streaming now, every tv rating is going down. You wanna argue quality, that's subjective and that's not fact. That's just you.

...money

Thank you for proving my point.

ESPN is still doing great. Please tell me how ESPN is doing badly. Dont say ratings, cause that's a retarded statement. Everyone is streaming now, every tv rating is going down. You wanna argue quality, that's subjective and that's not fact. That's just you.

Uh idk, maybe the massive layoffs and virtually killing off every sport show but NBA and NFL.

Yeah because Skip Bayless was so fun to watch... They kept the good ones like Wingo and SVP. They're just cleaning house and that's fine, those people are basically still employed at other places.

Most companies dont partake in purges when they are totally fine or seeing growth. Lol

But companies also like cheaper pay rates in their employees.

I'm not sure you know what point you're making tbh. Cuz first you scoffed at the idea that it was a moneygrab, now you're all, "duh, of course money, thanks for agreeing, Zack and Bucman."

Buying Lucasfilms was a money grab in and of itself. Disney could make Luke Skywalker a fucking Avenger now. If you didn't see them putting out as much content as possible then idk what to tell you. Their second Star Wars movie was pretty awful but I would say Rogue One was pretty damn good. We'll just have to wait and see at this point. It will probably be a mixed bag. Half of the Marvel movies are terrible. Not sure why Star Wars gets so much shit.

Nolan's Batman movies will always be the gold standard because the villains were a much bigger part of the story but that's just the way Disney does shit.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure you know what point you're making tbh. Cuz first you scoffed at the idea that it was a moneygrab, now you're all, "duh, of course money, thanks for agreeing, Zack and Bucman."

When you hear someone say moneygrab, they're talking about something being made to make money instead of having a good story to tell. EVERYTHING is a moneygrab when it comes to products, regardless of its quality. No movie NEEDS to be made. So I was telling Bucman its kinda their goal for it to be a moneygrab, am I wrong?

When you hear someone say moneygrab, they're talking about something being made to make money instead of having a good story to tell. EVERYTHING is a moneygrab when it comes to products, regardless of its quality. No movie NEEDS to be made. So I was telling Bucman its kinda their goal for it to be a moneygrab, am I wrong?

I don't get what the hell you're going for here.

Are you agreeing that its a money grab and loving the logic or you still think the Studio has nothing to gain from this? :think:

• Upvote 1

That looks a hell of a lot better than the first trailer.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-resistance-is-the-next-lucasfilm-animated-ser-1825546331

After Star Wars Rebels came to an end earlier this year, we knew the next chapter of Star Wars animation was close, and now we know exactly what it is. And it’s extremely exciting. The new chapter in Lucasfilm’s world is leaving behind the age of the Rebellion to tell a new saga set in the run-up to Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Announced by Lucasfilm today, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Rebels producer Dave Filoni’s next project will be Star Wars Resistance.

Set in what is described by the company as an “uncharted time frame prior to The Force Awakens,” the “anime-inspired” Resistance will follow a young pilot named Kazuda Xiono, recruited by General Leia Organa’s burgeoning Resistance for a top-secret surveillance mission to survey the growing power of the First Order. The series will focus on Kazuda and a cast of ace pilots, but will also feature familiar faces from the sequel trilogy in the form of BB-8, Poe Dameron, and Captain Phasma, with both Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie reprising their respective roles for the series.

According to Filoni—who will executive produce the series alongside Rebels veterans Athena Portillo and Justin Ridge, as well as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Brandon Auman—the series will focus on the high-flying, high-speed adventures of the galaxy far, far away’s daring pilots:

The idea for Star Wars Resistance came out of my interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots. My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me. There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style, which is something the entire team has been wanting to do for a long time.

No other details were revealed about the series, although we should mention there were zero mentions of Jedi in the announcement. Then again, that didn’t stop Star Wars Rebels, did it? Maybe a few more familiar faces could show up...

Star Wars Resistance will feature a voice cast alongside Isaac and Christie that includes Christopher Sean, Suzie McGrath, Scott Lawrence, Myrna Velasco, Josh Brener, Donald Faison (a big Star Wars fan, we should note, especially Rebels), Bobby Moynihan, Jim Rash, and Rachel Butera.

Star Wars Resistance will run on the Disney Channel this fall, as well as airing on Disney XD at a later date. We’ll bring you more on Star Wars Resistance as we learn it. What are your thoughts on the newly unveiled details?

i8ksdgelp7kbxwhehbz7.png

If that's accurate, that seems to be a much better art style than both clones wars and rebels had...

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold

It may be a while before we see any more movies like Solo: A Star Wars Story out of Lucasfilm. Sources with knowledge of the situation tell Collider that Lucasfilm has decided to put plans for more A Star Wars Story spinoff movies on hold, instead opting to focus their attention on Star Wars: Episode IX and what the next trilogy of Star Wars films will be after that film. Sources tell us that the previously rumored Obi-Wan movie was in active development, but those who were working on the film are no longer involved. It was recently reported that Logan filmmaker James Mangold was in early talks to write and direct the Boba Fett film, but that was before Solo’s release.

This news comes in the wake of the disappointing launch of Solo, which was only Lucasfilm’s second A Star Wars Story spinoff, but which received mixed-positive reviews and fell short of box office expectations. The film scored $84.4 million on opening weekend and has grossed $192.8 million domestically (and $339.5 million worldwide) in four weeks, which is nothing to scoff at but is far, far lower than the performance of other Star Wars movies at this benchmark. For comparison’s sake, Rogue One opened to $155 million and had grossed $424 million domestic by Week 4. To put it simply, while Solo did fine by blockbuster standards, it wasn’t the “event” that Lucasfilm expected out of a brand new Star Wars movie.

Of course the May release date could have had something to do with Solo’s disappointing performance. As opposed to Rogue One or the episodic films by J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, Solo went head-to-head with a slew of summer blockbusters in May, opening mere weeks after box office juggernauts Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2. One wonders how the film would have fared had Lucasfilm pushed Solo’s release to December instead.

Regardless, we’re hearing that plans to revisit this A Star Wars Story format have been put on hold for the moment. Initially announced as “anthology” movies, the spinoffs got off to a rocky start and haven’t exactly been smooth sailing. Josh Trank (Chronicle) was developing a Boba Fett movie around the same time Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) was prepping Rogue One, but Trank was subsequently removed from the project and Lucasfilm lost a film off its planned slate. Then story issues led to extensive reshoots on Rogue One that reworked the third act, with Tony Gilroy (The Bourne Legacy) overseeing the new scenes. And then of course Solo saw directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller fired during production, with Ron Howard coming in to replace them and reshoot a number of scenes.

In addition to Episode IX, Lucasfilm has officially announced development on a new Star Wars trilogy focused on new characters from The Last Jedi writer/director Rian Johnson, as well as a new series of films written by Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. These projects continue to be in development and are not part of the paused spinoffs we’re hearing about. But Lucasfilm’s main focus at the moment is planning the next trilogy after the Abrams-directed Star Wars 9, which is expected to conclude the story of Rey (Daisy Ridley) that began with The Force Awakens.

As with everything in Hollywood, it’s always possible that some filmmaker could come in and pitch an idea for a Star Wars Story spinoff that makes Lucasfilm rethink its approach, or opt to greenlight that idea as a one-off, but as of right now we’re hearing the studio’s focus has moved away from these spinoffs for the time-being and is squarely intent on getting Episode IX to the finish line and figuring out what the next trilogy of films will be.

More as we hear it.

RIP.