Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

My opinion of the movie is more nuanced than my knee jerk reaction would indicate. I don't think I'm in a good position to sort out my thoughts about it plus it's apparent that I'm working off an incomplete memory of the film. I'm gonna withhold further comments until these circumstances change.

My opinion of the movie is more nuanced than my knee jerk reaction would indicate. I don't think I'm in a good position to sort out my thoughts about it plus it's apparent that I'm working off an incomplete memory of the film. I'm gonna withhold further comments until these circumstances change.

It got put on Netflix today.

A lot of people hate TLJ because it's cool and trendy to do so. I agree, to a lesser extent, with blots, that the film's reputation will improve over time.

Of course, this is indeed contingent on how Episode IX plays out. I think the greatest weakness in the new trilogy, so far, is the lack of communication between films. It's very obvious J.J. Abrams had a certain vision in mind directing TFA, and then Rian Johnson took TLJ in a completely different direction. Both films are still exceptional on their own, but they don't hold together as well as connected parts of a series.

I dislike the movie because Rose/Finn was stupid af, the side mission made no sense, Holdo was a complete asshole who could have saved the entire thing by just telling people, "yes we have a plan, no we're not just planning to run straight away from the imperials till we run out" Leia's idiotic "force-movement out of space", Rey's continued Mary Sueing, (seriously is she bad at anything? At all?), and the promise the movie had that just got dumped out of the window.

If Kylo isn't such an over the top villian and makes the offer to Rey to join him with something other than "we're going to murder the rest of your friends too," having her accept the offer would have been the greatest move SW has ever made.

Other nitpicks: Luke tells Rey that hole is full of the dark side, but we never see any evidence of that fact. Rey knows the Force very well with zero training and no genetic predisposition to it, which retroactively makes TFA's scenes with her even dumber. Finn is saved by Rose telling him we don't kill those we hate we save those we love, which is stupid as fuck- also Holdo literally just sacrificed herself to save those she loved like 10 minutes earlier.

The entire movie felt like a horribly shoehorned way to make the entire Rebel Alliance Rebellion fit onto the Millienium Falcon.

That's not to say its not without its good parts, for sure, but its a mediocre movie overall and well behind Rogue One, the Original Trilogy, and probably TFA for me. (Haven't seen Solo, but I bet Solo is above TLJ as well for me.)

Is it better than the prequels? Yes. But its not close to the others, IMO.

• Upvote 1

I liked the hole in the island scene (assuming I am remembering it correctly). I think I will watch the movie again tonight so I'm not working off faulty memory again but I recall it being her reflection going as far as she could see in either direction.

To me that's saying the darkness is innately in her. She's looking for some external, scary thing to give her something to rally against so she doesn't fall, but it turns out it's been in her all along.

Edited by OSUViking

I liked the hole in the island scene (assuming I am remembering it correctly). I think I will watch the movie again tonight so I'm not working off faulty memory again but I recall it being her reflection going as far as she could see in either direction.

To me that's saying the darkness is innately in her. She's looking for some external, scary thing to give her something to rally against so she doesn't fall, but it turns out it's been in her all along.

TFA and TLJ have been great at using these symbolic set pieces. So well done.

• Upvote 1

TFA and TLJ have been great at using these symbolic set pieces. So well done.

I like what they've done with Kylo and Rey in general though I think if they'd approached Kylo a slightly different way he'd have more appeal. But I like how they're both kind of takes on people from different backgrounds both struggling with something inside them. Edited by OSUViking

Let's assume this is the correct interpretation, I honestly don't know what they were going for here.

Where has Rey even struggled with the Dark Side? Possibly I'm just forgetting it, but I don't remember seeing any sort of darkness in her anywhere.

Does she have to struggle with it or is it more just her being able to harness it's energy. I think OSU is right. With that island scene, Luke says something like.. "You went right to the dark side". A lot of the lessons he teaches her is about the BALANCE of light and dark that the force represents.

Let's assume this is the correct interpretation, I honestly don't know what they were going for here.

Where has Rey even struggled with the Dark Side? Possibly I'm just forgetting it, but I don't remember seeing any sort of darkness in her anywhere.

I was going to mention this actually but figured I'd hold off until I got to watch TLJ again. I think one of the weaknesses with Rey so far is that her inner struggle has felt more like them telling us she struggles instead of us seeing it.

I think it's a valid criticism but I'm sure others disagree. I think the concept of looking inward and accepting that the darkness is within her, and not some external thing she can easily confront, is very interesting.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget that Rey is able to turn Kylo's mind probe back on him. Doesn't seem like a power that would harness the light side of the force... Lol.

Does she have to struggle with it or is it more just her being able to harness it's energy. I think OSU is right. With that island scene, Luke says something like.. "You went right to the dark side". A lot of the lessons he teaches her is about the BALANCE of light and dark that the force represents.

The whole point of balance is that harnessing the dark side can lead to indulgence. It's like one end were the Sith who gave no fucks and did what felt good for them (indulgence), and on the other end were the religious fanatics that compartmentalized emotions and rejected attachment. Neither are healthy in excess so that's what the balance is.

I've no doubt that Rey could harness some darker techniques but it's about seeing her struggle to avoid indulging. With Luke we could see it when he runs off to Bespin (indulging fear) and when he goes apeshit on Vader. Not trying to compare the two character arcs but those were clear examples that Luke had an internal struggle regarding his powers. Think we could have used more of that with Rey in the first two movies.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget that Rey is able to turn Kylo's mind probe back on him. Doesn't seem like a power that would harness the light side of the force... Lol.

This is exactly what the light side does. We see it when Yoda redirects Force Lightning.

This is exactly what the light side does. We see it when Yoda redirects Force Lightning.

I think theres a big difference here. Yoda absorbs and then redirects it. That makes sense from a highly skilled user of the light side of the force. He isnt flat out using it... and if he was flat out using it, that would be harnessing the dark sides power.

The apples to apples comparison in Reys situation , IMO, would be Rey just putting up a wall in her mind. Completely blocking Kylos attempts.

But thats not what she does. She reads his mind . Even if he is a bad guy the practice is very invasive . That isnt a power of the light side. Shes definitely using dark side powers there IMO.

I could totally be wrong. Not saying this IS the answer. Just giving my perspective and understanding as I see it.

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever

There are no dark powers. Only dark people.

That's racist.

There are no dark powers. Only dark people.

Hmm interesting. I dont disagree. There are Jedi who have used force lightning before, but they have to be of the highest quality of character in order not to succumb to the darkness. If a power like force lightning requires a Jedi to be so amazingly good and full of light to wield I lean towards that being a dark power.

So is the argument Rey is so good that she can invade minds ?

I can see that but I still dont buy it. This story is about balance . Rey and Kylo are supposed to balance each other... Kylo is not full out darkness, So I dont think Rey is full out good.

Its purposefully ambiguous and gray. People arent just good or just bad anymore. At least not these two.

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever

I thought about finishing that with a #LiveLaughLove. Meant to be flippant.

I don't like the idea of inherent light or dark powers though. Yeah evil guys would be more keen to using the force as a weapon, but good doesn't have to mean pacifist.

Thats my bad. I take my Star Wars convos too seriously lol.

We do have an example in ATOC where Obi-Wan basically warped a dude's mind so that he'd get his life together haha.

I liked TLJ the second time around more than I thought I would. I figured I would outright hate it because I would know when my least favorite parts were coming.

I stand by my admiration of the Kylo/Luke/Rey part of the film. That's not to say that I think it is perfect, but I enjoyed it quite a bit the first time and I didn't feel that changed.

I am still pretty indifferent to everything else. I tried to pay more attention to Holdo this time around, and I did not come away thinking there was any agenda. I still wasn't all that invested in it, but certainly did not warrant the rant that I went on.

I think theres a big difference here. Yoda absorbs and then redirects it. That makes sense from a highly skilled user of the light side of the force. He isnt flat out using it... and if he was flat out using it, that would be harnessing the dark sides power.

The apples to apples comparison in Reys situation , IMO, would be Rey just putting up a wall in her mind. Completely blocking Kylos attempts.

But thats not what she does. She reads his mind . Even if he is a bad guy the practice is very invasive . That isnt a power of the light side. Shes definitely using dark side powers there IMO.

I could totally be wrong. Not saying this IS the answer. Just giving my perspective and understanding as I see it.

At least in the EU the light side could absolutely read people's minds, the Jedi did it several times. They simply did it in a way that didn't leave their target a vegetable. The Sith would force their way in and destroy the victim's brain because of how they smashed their way in.

Edited by Thanatos

Billy Dee Williams coming back as Lando in IX... ohhhh baby

Can't wait for Lando to be killed off too. No survivors from the OT except for Chewie.