Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

Revenge of the Sith was just plain out hard for me to watch. Not because it was bad but I had spent YEARS connecting with the characters in the Star Wars universe and we all knew Anakin was slipping down the slope to the darkside and there was nothing we could do to stop him from that journey.

Also although it was far from perfect it was devastating to see the Republic fall because of lies and half-truths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp069Y_P-9M

(that isn't the speech by Palpatine but Padme's words in anguished response to Bail Organa)

For the movies to end on such a depressing note (although they had to since the end was the middle) was just hard for this long time star wars fan.

Edited by southgadawg

http://starwars.com/star-wars-episode-vii-adds-academy-award-winner-lupita-nyongo-and-game-of-thrones-gwendoline-christie.html

Lupita Nyong'o joins the recently announced cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. This year, her breakthrough performance in 12 Years a Slave earned her an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

Gwendoline Christie, currently starring in the hit television series Game of Thrones as Brienne of Tarth, has also been cast in the production. She can next be seen in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2.

"I could not be more excited about Lupita and Gwendoline joining the cast of Episode VII," says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. "It's thrilling to see this extraordinarily talented ensemble taking shape."

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the Saga Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

Gwendoline Christie is 6'3".

:badass:

So not only do we have Episode VII .. but also confirmed are multiple stand alone Star Wars titles now.. This shoul dbe interesting.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/harrison-ford-injured-on-the-set-of-star-wars-episode-vii-1201219316/?_r=true

Harrison Ford has been injured on the set of Disney and Lucasfilm’s new “Star Wars” movie.

According to Disney, the 71 year-old actor was hospitalized after sustaining a bad ankle injury during filming on Wednesday.

“He was taken to a local hospital and is receiving care,” the statement reads.

Ford was at Pinewood studios in England when a hydraulic door reportedly fell down and hit him, possibly fracturing his ankle.

He was airlifted to a hospital shortly after the incident.

The J.J. Abrams-directed “Star Wars: Episode VII,” co-starring Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, will continue shooting at Pinewood Studios while ‘Han Solo’ gets treatment.

The new “Star Wars” movie also stars newcomers John Boyega, Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver and hits theaters December 18, 2015.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/20/rian-johnson-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-8

Looper director Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII, the second part of the new trilogy. He will also reportedly write the treatment for Episode IX. J.J. Abrams is course currently helming Episode VII.

Deadline broke the news of Johnson’s involvement in the hugely anticipated big-screen revival of George Lucas’ franchise. In a matter of just weeks, we have now seen Johnson hired for Episode VIII, and Chronicle’s Josh Trank and Godzilla’s Gareth Edwards hired for separate standalone Star Wars films.

While Deadline reports that Johnson is in the process of making a deal with Lucasfilm to write and direct both Star Wars Episode VIII and IX, The Wrap claims that the filmmaker is both writing and directing VIII but only penning the treatment for IX.

Johnson directed the well-received, low-budget Brick before moving on to The Brothers Bloom and then the great time-travel movie Looper, which starred Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Breaking Bad fans may also recall that Johnson directed three episodes for that series, including “Fly” and “Ozymandias.”

So what can we take away from this news? Aside from the fact that we live in a world where new Star Wars movies are happening with Luke, Leia, and Han!? It’s clear that Disney and Lucasfilm are looking to new blood for these films. With the exception of J.J. Abrams, Johnson, Trank, and Edwards all come from pretty low-budget beginnings and all made good-to-great sci-fi films with limited means. These are filmmakers who have proven themselves, and really, fans couldn’t ask for anything more.

Blots posted this in the shoutbox earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

Seems very much like a J.J. Abrams movie, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Wasn't feeling it at all until the X-Wing shot, which made me smile for some reason.

Character speculation:

I'd be willing to bet that Gwendoline Christie's character is the one shown with the lightsaber

I personally loved it. The hilt on the lightsaber I love cause it looks dope, but I don't really see a reason for it. The crystal being too strong I can kinda see as being a reason for it. But even then, idk...

Fucking hate the hilt. Love the effects.

All the people complaining about the hilt clearly never read much of the extended universe.

Lumiya, the Dark Lady of the Sith, had a freaking light*whip*.

There are at least two other sabers that were similar to the one shown in the trailer.

The EU which, for all intents and purposes, no longer exists.

Like hell it doesn't.

But point was that there are plenty of odd lightsabers in the Star Wars universe.

It being declared non-canon kinda ruined it for me, at least the book side of things.

All the people complaining about the hilt clearly never read much of the extended universe.

Lumiya, the Dark Lady of the Sith, had a freaking light*whip*.

There are at least two other sabers that were similar to the one shown in the trailer.

When the hell do people have time to read about 300 different Star Wars books? :laugh:

When the hell do people have time to read about 300 different Star Wars books? :laugh:

I personally haven't but oh i don't know people who enjoy reading and science fiction?

I personally haven't but oh i don't know people who enjoy reading and science fiction?

You missed my point. People think just cause they read some books that this or that is going to be fact in the movie. I'm sure if I read a different series of books it would totally cross out what another says. In other words, we have no idea what we can really consider canon or not cause there's so many Star Wars universes, it's just best to stick to the film universe and not be a wise ass and tell people: "oh you don't know shit cause you didn't read this or that"....

• Upvote 1

Character speculation:

I'd be willing to bet that Gwendoline Christie's character is the one shown with the lightsaber

I know what the hell I'm talking about.

:notamused:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-names/

The images, via Entertainment Weekly, reveal the following data:

• The “ball droid” is BB-8
  • Oscar Isaac is Poe Dameron
  • The Sith is Kylo Ren
  • Daisy Ridley is Rey
  • John Boyega is Finn

Here are the images:

Rey-260x186.jpg Poe-Dameron-260x186.jpg

Kylo-Ren-260x186.jpg Finn-260x186.jpg

BB-8-260x186.jpg

“I’m only sorry we couldn’t give everyone a stick of gum,” Abrams told EW. Head there to see more of the images from the trailer, but this is the big news.

Turrible names though. Really turrible.

Poe Dameron? Is this a joke?

Also, not revealing Rey's last name makes me think she's either a Skywalker or a Solo.

Edited by SteVo

So do I really need to see IV-VI before this or what?

You need to see IV-VI in general

• Upvote 2

What Oochy said.

But really, probably not. It's been like 30 years, I don't think these are going to require people to know the history.

You missed my point. People think just cause they read some books that this or that is going to be fact in the movie. I'm sure if I read a different series of books it would totally cross out what another says. In other words, we have no idea what we can really consider canon or not cause there's so many Star Wars universes, it's just best to stick to the film universe and not be a wise ass and tell people: "oh you don't know shit cause you didn't read this or that"....

Um. That's not my point at all.

There are a lot of people going bonkers over the saber being way off and its horrible and Abrams is ruining the Star Wars universe... when it was Lucas-approved fiction that kickstarted the "all these cool lightsabers" phase.

It's the nerds that are dead wrong that I am scoffing at, not the casual fan who never read any of the books.

We do indeed know what it is canon, since it was approved by Lucas. You act like its just a bunch of fiction written by random authors. The EU is, or at least was, part of the Star Wars universe- again, not my point at all, as that went completely over your head, but you are dead wrong on "we have no idea what we can really consider canon or not cause there's so many Star Wars universes." Not at all. There's one official universe and that's where the overwhelming majority of books and stories are written.

Edited by Thanatos19