Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

You can not like it... But prequel level bad? Even with the level of fan service they gave? Dude..... lmao. SERIOUSLY?

Nothing in the SW universe will ever be "prequels bad". Never. 

Revenge of the Sith > The Rise of Skywalker

Fite me.

What does "level of fan service" have to do with jack squat? JJ didn't like what Rian did with Star Wars (Understandable since The Last Jedi was also a piece of garbage, not as bad as this, but still pretty bad), so he just went back to what he set up after 7. The issue is, it made zero sense given what had happened in 8 and was incredibly fucking rushed. The first part of the movie was just zooming around every which way. Then at the end it makes no sense how

Palps dies, (two sabers blocking = better than one apparently), also why not just, ya know, stop shooting force lightning and let Rey kill him with sabers, as apparently that makes her the new Sith Lord

And it makes no sense how multiple other characters arcs ended and was just incredibly dysfunctional.

Chewie dying was the only time I sat up in the theater because I was like "Holy shit this is interesting and Rey just fucking killed Chewbacca.... and we don't even have to wait for the main characters to figure out he's alive, they show it to us right away as if we needed reassurance they wouldn't actually kill off Chewbacca." Chewie dying in the Legends universe was one of the best scenes of the entire arc, and this had some potential. And then bam, immediately pulls out any feeling of consequence.

I aint the only one who thinks its prequels levels of bad. On RT the only SW film ranked lower is Phantom Menace.

TLJ: Rey, your parents were no one. TROS: Just kidding, they were heirs to the entire galactic empire and had to sell you into fucking slavery to hide you. And when a bounty hunter asks where you were, they said "WELL SHE'S CERTAINLY NOT ON JAKKU" and he decided, yeah okay, that's fine, I won't bother checking there then. Nor will I bother taking you back to your dad who can read minds- unless he can create a clone-thing in Snoke that can read minds but he himself can't?- and instead just kill you right here. With a Sith dagger I just happen to have. Because reasons.

Edited by Thanatos

It felt rushed because it was. They changed directors extremely late. JJ even said there was literally no way to fix everything that needed changed under the time table he had. I wouldn’t have minded just delaying it but they chose not to do that. 

And what does fan service have to do with it? You didn’t enjoy Chewie getting Hans medal? Or Wedge coming back... or Luke raising Red 5 after never being able to do it while he was alive ... a true culmination and end to his journey in that exact moment. Someone needs to spark that cold dead heart of yours, my friend lol. 

It’s the intent and hatred for him that he wanted her to kill him with so that the rule of two could officially be fulfilled. Like he said... all sith live within him. The master of the sith was formerly the apprentice. All the knowledge and power stops with the master. That seems to be why sith would want to take on apprentices knowing they would eventually fall to them. He was hoping to sway her with power and greed.. it obviously didn’t work loL. She’s already committed to achieving balance . Him just sitting there at that point just... kills him and doesn’t transfer jack diddly . 

Chewie “dying” in the movie was stupid. They shouldn’t have done it. The lesson there wasn’t so much about killing chewy though, it was about Rey and showing what she is capable of and that she does indeed have those dark side powers at her disposal . Just foreshadowing her lineage and the struggle inside of her for 3 movies. Chewies death wasn’t about chewie. If they would have killed him off there actually this movie would’ve been awful. 

I definitely see where the disconnect is. You’re quoting a RT score of critics. Under 500 individual people who watch movies because they get paid to. Obviously there are some fans in that group ... but if you look on RT , the audience approval is over 80%. I went into the movie as a fan of the series and ready for it to come to an end. You (seemingly) went into it looking at it more like a critic. That isn’t bad mind you, but it does highlight why we each feel so differently about it. 

And yes and no. While Rey was a Palpatine, her parents were nobodies. Do they even have names? They were junk traders just like Kylo said. They weren’t individually significant in any way. Regardless of their (more the son) name, they chose a different path. Just like Rey does. 

Some things are stronger than blood.

• Upvote 1

Had they not done the bait and switch with Chewie, that would've been all the main characters from the OT being pwnt in this trilogy.  What a weird group of movies.

Edited by Vin

F4E is doing a pretty splendid job of spelling out my own thoughts, which is convenient.

Star Wars is a franchise with lightspeed, lightsabers, and gravity in space. If you want to pick it apart with logic, have at it. If you want to enjoy the story, then enjoy it you will.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:02 PM, DalaiLama4Ever said:

It felt rushed because it was. They changed directors extremely late. JJ even said there was literally no way to fix everything that needed changed under the time table he had. I wouldn’t have minded just delaying it but they chose not to do that. 

And what does fan service have to do with it? You didn’t enjoy Chewie getting Hans medal? Or Wedge coming back... or Luke raising Red 5 after never being able to do it while he was alive ... a true culmination and end to his journey in that exact moment. Someone needs to spark that cold dead heart of yours, my friend lol. 

It’s the intent and hatred for him that he wanted her to kill him with so that the rule of two could officially be fulfilled. Like he said... all sith live within him. The master of the sith was formerly the apprentice. All the knowledge and power stops with the master. That seems to be why sith would want to take on apprentices knowing they would eventually fall to them. He was hoping to sway her with power and greed.. it obviously didn’t work loL. She’s already committed to achieving balance . Him just sitting there at that point just... kills him and doesn’t transfer jack diddly . 

Chewie “dying” in the movie was stupid. They shouldn’t have done it. The lesson there wasn’t so much about killing chewy though, it was about Rey and showing what she is capable of and that she does indeed have those dark side powers at her disposal . Just foreshadowing her lineage and the struggle inside of her for 3 movies. Chewies death wasn’t about chewie. If they would have killed him off there actually this movie would’ve been awful. 

I definitely see where the disconnect is. You’re quoting a RT score of critics. Under 500 individual people who watch movies because they get paid to. Obviously there are some fans in that group ... but if you look on RT , the audience approval is over 80%. I went into the movie as a fan of the series and ready for it to come to an end. You (seemingly) went into it looking at it more like a critic. That isn’t bad mind you, but it does highlight why we each feel so differently about it. 

And yes and no. While Rey was a Palpatine, her parents were nobodies. Do they even have names? They were junk traders just like Kylo said. They weren’t individually significant in any way. Regardless of their (more the son) name, they chose a different path. Just like Rey does. 

Some things are stronger than blood.

The RT fan rating has been proven to be inaccurate. They are deleting negative reviews by the hundreds. My only point in bringing it up was just to point out I'm far from the only person who thought it was pretty bad.

Fan service does not make a movie great, that was my point. Just throwing fan service at people doesn't make the movie any better or worse.

The problem with your argument is that Rey wasn't going to kill Palpatine because of her hatred, she was going to kill him to save her friends. She initially refuses and then after Palps tells her its the only way to save her friends, she agrees until Ben shows up. It was almost like the control the Reapers ending in Mass Effect 3.

I would have had less issue with Chewie's "death" if they at least let us think he was actually gone for a bit, then the emotional line of seeing him back alive would have had more punch. 

Rey being a Palpatine is clearly a retcon from TLJ. If you think that was planned by Rian as well as JJ, well. I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Also, selling someone into slavery being the only one to keep them hidden is laughable.

The movie is a rushed mess that is just not good overall, sorry.

As I said, it has its moments, but as a final ending to a 9-movie saga, it falls woefully short.

Edited by Thanatos

3 hours ago, Vin said:

Welcome to the world of big-budget filmmaking. Makes the Marvel Cinematic Universe even more impressive. All those films in the better part of a decade, and were any one of them bad?

• Upvote 1

On 1/1/2020 at 11:43 PM, SteVo said:

Star Wars is a franchise with lightspeed, lightsabers, and gravity in space. If you want to pick it apart with logic, have at it. If you want to enjoy the story, then enjoy it you will.

Thats not an excuse for a rushed, half-assed story. Nobody is complaining about it because lightsabers don't exist in the real world. The issues with it are because it was a rushed, mess of a movie that not only had nothing to say, but it actively worked to undo the previous movie. JJ Abrams clearly could not have given less of a shit about this movie.

2 hours ago, blotsfan said:

Thats not an excuse for a rushed, half-assed story. Nobody is complaining about it because lightsabers don't exist in the real world. The issues with it are because it was a rushed, mess of a movie that not only had nothing to say, but it actively worked to undo the previous movie. JJ Abrams clearly could not have given less of a shit about this movie.

How do you win in that situation as JJ tho. You’re complaining about him undoing a lot of 8, which is true... but a good number of people despised 8. I wasn’t one of them, but JJ was getting slaughtered either way. 

The people who despised Episode 8 don't deserve happiness so just ignore them. 

It's been almost 6 months and I still just have moments where I remember that Rise of Skywalker happened, and it just hurts to my core.

I still haven't re-watched it, but my thoughts (for the moment) remain the same: thoroughly enjoyable Star Wars movie, its worst flaw being lack of cohesion with the rest of the trilogy.

Also I know this is old news, but Trevorov's Episode 9 script sounded awesome. Duel of the Fates is such a great title too!