Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

I'm totally on board with this. I have high expectations for Episode VII now. :yep:

I'm alone in this, but I'm not a fan. I don't think he's gonna bring the right...tone to the series.

I feel it having a Star Trekky feel to it.

That's what I'm afraid of.

Fans are already going crazy over this news. This is a fan made trailer which is actually pretty kick ass.

I'd go see it.

Edited by dutchff7

Really nice fan put together video.

If only... :D

I feel it having a Star Trekky feel to it.

Considering from what I read the biggest issues with the new star trek is that it felt like star wars, I'm optimistic.

Where are you reading that at? Not to say it's wrong, but I didn't get that feel at all.

To be honest, not sure I had any real serious issues with Star Trek at all. Loved the movie.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/05/disney-ceo-bob-iger-confirms-star-wars-standalone-movies

Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed rumors that there are indeed standalone Star Wars movies in the works in addition to the next Star Wars trilogy.

In an interview with CNBC, Iger said the studio will make different Star Wars solo films during the same time frame as the new trilogy will be released.

"We are in fact working on a few stand-alone films," said Iger. "(Lawrence) Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga. So we plan to make Star Wars VII, VIII and IX over roughly a six-year period of time starting in 2015. But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time too."

Iger would not confirm, deny or comment further on any of the Star Wars characters who might get their own standalone movies. Everyone from Yoda to Boba Fett to a Seven Samurai-style Jedi team film have been rumored as candidates for possible Star Wars spin-off movies.

All the rumors swirling about a young Han Solo movie and who might play him are well and good, but El Mayimbe over at Latino-Review used his Jedi mind tricks to ferret out a juicy detail about the much-anticipated J.J. Abrams-directed Star Wars: Episode VII: Harrison Ford will be returning to reprise his role as “Han Solo.” Obviously, the extent of the character’s involvement isn’t known at this time and while, back in November, Ford said he was open to returning, the news comes as a bit of a surprise considering how ardently he has tried to distance himself from the franchise in the past.

That being said – this might be the most exciting tidbit I’ve seen yet. Here’s hoping that Ford’s involvement will be more than turning Han and Chewie into Murtaugh and Riggs, complaining about how they’re getting too old for this shit and, back in their day, they used to make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs, uphill both ways.

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/02/report-harrison-ford-to-return-as-han-solo-in-star-wars-episode-vii/

I think the regardless of his trying to distance himself from the franchise, Ford knows full well that without Star Wars, his career would likely never have taken off like it did. Still, I would be shocked if Ford did more than a 2 minute cameo in the new film.

And now we have some backtracking...

Seems Harrison Ford might not be signed on to the new Star Wars after all.

If you recall, it's been stated that Harrison Ford isn't big into returning, but if he does, may have some stipulations.

Actually back when Return of the Jedi was getting made, Ford wanted his character killed off, but reportedly George Lucas gave that a big no.

While it does seem like a no-brainer that Harrison Ford will return along side Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, a reporter for Entertainment Weekly offers that the deal has a ways to go.

Come on Harrison. Stop being a douche. GET IT DONE.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/12/billy-dee-williams-wants-to-be-in-episode-vii

No duh, right?

Everyone's so concerned about Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher's return to Star Wars with Episode VII that some of the other very important characters of the galaxy far, far away have gotten pushed to the side a bit. I mean, where's the Bring Back Lak Sivrak campaign anyway?

But somewhere between that long lost galactic Wolfman and Han Solo there lays the Landos and Threepios of the world. And in fact, both Lando -- that is, Billy Dee Williams -- and old Goldenrod himself -- Anthony Daniels -- have spoken out recently about their status vis-a-vis Episode VII.

Here's what Williams said in a new Facebook post.

"Everyone is still asking about the new Star Wars movie.... the best way to ensure that Billy Dee Williams will be in the new film is to FB, TWITTER, BLOG and tell Disney and Lucasfilm that you want to see LANDO again! Hopefully JJ will read the wishes and write in LANDO! UNTIL then.... here is all that is known: 'I am in the dark with the actual plans that Disney and Lucasfilm have for the future of the 'Star Wars' universe. I have heard the same rumors that the fans heard, that a new trilogy is being made, that spin-offs may be made, that we all [Mark, Carrie, Harrison and myself] are going to be reprising our roles in these projects. At this point in time, nothing has been confirmed about my participation and I have signed no contracts. I assure you that I would absolutely love to reprise my role of Lando Calrissian. He's a character that I took great pride in creating on screen and have continued to be a part of when providing his voice for video games, the new 'Star Wars Detours' cartoon and for various episodes of 'Robot Chicken', among other projects. It’s a lot of fun to keep Lando alive and I am eager to do it again, on film, when I get the call. I thank all the fans out there for their continued support and I hope to get the call from Disney and Lucasfilm real soon, until then, may the force be with us all!"

Right, so do you think he wants to do it?

Daniels, meanwhile, spoke to Digital Spy about the film. He apparently hasn't heard anything either, though he seems to be taking a slightly more reserved approach.

"I'm certainly not sitting by the phone, but it's always nice when it rings," he says. "Do you know what I mean?"

We know, Tony… we know…

I don't even.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-villain-adam-driver-girls-1201121646/

Adam Driver is ready to travel to a galaxy far, far, away.

Sources tell Variety that while no deal is done yet, the “Girls” actor is close to signing on to play the villain in J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars: Episode VII.” Exact details are unknown, but the character is said to be in the vein of iconic “Star Wars” villain Darth Vader.

Driver, 30, is the first cast member to be revealed for Walt Disney Studios and Lucasfilm’s highly-anticipated “Star Wars” installment, which will open in theaters on Dec. 18, 2015.

The big-budget tentpole, directed by J.J. Abrams, is scheduled to shoot at London’s Pinewood Studios in April. Additional cast members will likely be announced in the next month.

“Star Wars: Episode VII” will continue the Jedi saga where “Return of the Jedi” left off.

Abrams is producing with Bryan Burk and Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy.

Driver’s name had been rumored during the casting process, but in recent weeks, the Indiana native has become Disney and Lucasfilms’ top choice to play the main villain.

The delay in making a decision was due to scheduling issues with “Star Wars” and his HBO show “Girls.” Sources say it’s not just Season 4 that was the hangup, but also future seasons, since future “Star Wars” installments could also coincide with upcoming seasons of the HBO Lena Dunham comedy.

Sources are now telling Variety that scheduling issues have been resolved and that a deal should be finalized in the coming days.

Abrams recently announced that the script he co-wrote with Lawrence Kasdan was finished and that they would begin zeroing in on casting decisions soon. Michael Arndt wrote the original draft, with Kasdan and Abrams taking over last fall.

Disney was also rumored to be looking at Michael Fassbender and Hugo Weaving for the villain role.

The studio had no comment on the cast.

While Driver has received acclaim for his role on “Girls,” he has become more in demand for high-profile features lately. The actor is currently filming Warner Bros.’ “Midnight Special” and is also attached to Martin Scorsese’s “Silence” starring Andrew Garfield and Liam Neeson. He is repped by Gersh and can currently be seen on the third season of “Girls” airing on HBO as well as the Shawn Levy pic “This is Where I Leave You” which bows this fall.

Disney has been quickly ramping up the “Star Wars” universe since buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion in October, 2012. In addition to the “Star Wars” films, the studio is developing theme park attractions, TV shows and an extensive line of merchandise.

All they need to do is make the Heir to the Empire series with Grand Admiral Thrawn. That's it. The script is already written, convert it to movie format, find someone to play Thrawn and the insane Jedi C'baoth, and you're golden.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-4-1201125355/

With Adam Driver in line to play the villain in the next “Star Wars,” the next order of business for Disney and Lucasfilm is finding the right Jedi to challenge Driver and the evil empire.

After meeting with several young actors this past year, sources tell Variety that “Downton Abbey” thesp Ed Speleers, “Attack the Block” star John Boyega, Jesse Plemons and theater actors Matthew James Thomas, and Ray Fisher are among the men J.J. Abrams is eyeing for the lead role. Though some insiders warn the search is still ongoing, multiple sources confirm to Variety these actors have moved to the top of the list in recent weeks.

Disney had no comment.

SEE ALSO: Adam Driver to Play ‘Star Wars’ Villain (EXCLUSIVE)

Exact details of the character are vague but the part is believed to be a Jedi apprentice. The original draft by Michael Arndt was said to focus on Han Solo and Princess Leia’s kids, however, Abrams and Kasdan’s recent rewrite reportedly puts their offspring in a supporting role.

Sources also indicate the reason for the delay has to do whether execs and creatives want someone of a different ethnicity from the previous Caucasian leads. Abrams has said on numerous occasions that he wants to have a diversified cast, which is why actors like David Oyewolo and Michael B. Jordan tested early on.

As previously reported, Abrams is expected to surround the less-familiar actor with more recognizable stars for supporting parts, including original “Star Wars” cast members Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill.

“Star Wars Episode VII” will begin shooting in the late second quarter or early third quarter in London’s Pinewood Studios.

Produced by Abrams, his Bad Robot partner Bryan Burke and Lucasfilm head honcho Kathleen Kennedy, “Star Wars Episode VII” hits theaters Dec. 18, 2015.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Damn it all to hell. I want more Anakin and Jacen Solo.

GIVE ME WHAT I WANT DISNEY.

Just thought about this a few days ago... will this open up Star Wars to Kingdom Hearts?

Wait if the bad guy is an ex-Jedi Apprentice... Kyp Durron?

• Upvote 1

Kyp Durron would be amazing, actually.

Sun Crusher, please.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-set-to-roll-cameras-may-2014.html

Disney and Lucasfilm are excited to announce that principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, will commence May 2014, and will be based at London's historic Pinewood Studios.

This will be the first Star Wars film to start shooting in the month of May. Lucasfilm has documented the first day of principal photography for every installment of the Star Wars saga:

March 22, 1976 -- The first day of principal photography in Tozeur, Tunisia, for Star Wars. A crew of 130 ventures into the desert in 42 trucks and cars, including eight army trucks full of equipment. The first shot was completed at 9:35 a.m.

March 5, 1979 -- The first day of principal photography in Finse, Norway, for The Empire Strikes Back. The crew endures the subzero temperatures, frostbite, heavy winds, and avalanches to pull off the first shot within 65 minutes of setup.

January 11, 1982 -- The first day of principal photography at EMI Elstree Studios outside of London for Return of the Jedi. Although inside a studio, the set must weather a sandstorm in a scene that would ultimately be cut from the film.

June 26, 1997 -- The first day of principal photography at Leavesden Studios in Hertfordshire, England, for The Phantom Menace. Ending a long absence from the director's chair, George Lucas shoots a sequence in a bluescreen-lined set with actors Ian McDiarmid and Ray Park.

June 26, 2000 -- The first day of principal photography for Attack of the Clones at Fox Studios Australia. In their new home Down Under, the production crew once again photographs actor Ian McDiarmid three years to the day after Episode I started shooting.

June 30, 2003 -- The first day of principal photography for Revenge of the Sith at Fox Studios Australia. The first scenes shot feature Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, respectively, along with R2-D2.

It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces. No further details on casting or plot are available at this time.

Star Wars: Episode VII will release in theaters on December 18, 2015.

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

Yuuzhan Vong time?

Thirty years sounds about right.

I really can't see them doing the Yuuzhan Vong. You really think the first movie is going to open with a book where

a principal character and fan favorite dies? The only reason it worked in the book was because you had grown to appreciate the character he dies saving.

The Vong series was specifically to shake things up and tell people "hey, all those people you thought were safe? Yeah well, they aren't."

These weird names you guys got :lol: I was a big Star Wars nerd growing up I thought but I've never heard of any of these people. Guess I'm just a casual fan, a noob. I fail. :(

• Upvote 1