Glanvilles Grits

Matt Ryan is climbing to the next level

Atlanta Falcons

Atlanta Falcons: Matt Ryan is climbing to the next NFL level

5:00 am November 1, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH — When Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan takes the field these days, he does so with certain calmness and clarity.

“You never see him get rattled,” center Todd McClure said. “He never changes.”

In his fifth season, Ryan, 27, is showing experience beyond his years or his 72 NFL starts as he’s guided the Falcons to a 7-0 record for the first time in franchise history.

Ryan will try to make it 8-0 when the Falcons play the Dallas Cowboys (3-4) at 8:20 p.m. Sunday at the Georgia Dome.

Ryan, a native of Exton, Pa., is coming off a stellar showing against the Eagles, where he had his third-highest passer rating of his career, 137.4.

Ryan acknowledges that he’s dealing with less clutter and noise this season.

“I’ve been playing quarterback in this league for a number of years now, and I think you become more comfortable with everything. You know what’s important and want’s not,” Ryan said. “What you need to stress about and what you don’t need to stress about. I think all of those things help you play better and prepare better.”

Ryan has the support of his teammates and new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, but when he has to bounce something off someone, he usually chats with Houston quarterback Matt Schaub, a former Falcon.

“We kind of grew up in the same area, and he’s another guy that I think handles things the right way,” Ryan said. “He works hard, is always prepared and has been playing great for a number of years.”

Schaub has admired Ryan’s work this season from afar.

“He’s playing great,” Schaub said. “When you look at them, they’re not a big running team, they’re not very successful running the football right now and they ask him to do a lot at the line of scrimmage, he’s got a lot of weapons.”

Ryan is the consummate professional. He was embarrassed when told that his “get the (expletive) off our field” comment went viral over the Internet after the heart-stopping 30-28 victory over Carolina on Sept. 30.

That was the 17th time he guided the Falcons to a victory in the fourth quarter or overtime. The following weeks at Washington and against Oakland he notched the 18th and 19th such victory.

After the bye week, there would be no such drama needed against the Eagles.

“It’s his fifth year, and he’s had the experience,” McClure said. “The more experience you get, the better you are. … You can go out there and let your talent show. He’s just been playing unbelievably well. We know if we can keep him clean, the sky is the limit for this team.”

Ryan has completed 182 of 265 passes for 2,018 yards with 17 touchdowns and six interceptions for a passer rating of 103, which trails only Denver’s Peyton Manning (109) and Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers (107.9).

He’s done a masterful job of spreading the ball around to receivers Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez. Last week, his first two touchdown passes were to backups Drew Davis and Jason Snelling.

“For a quarterback, it’s all about touchdowns and turnovers,” Ryan said. “Those kinds of things are ultimately the most important. So far, we’ve done a pretty good job of that this year.”

Ryan’s drive to improve has fueled his climb in the league. He even had some issues with the Philadelphia game.

“Far from perfect,” Ryan said. “You’re never going to be completely perfect, but you’re always trying to work towards that.”

They’ve come close a couple of times this season.

Against the Eagles, Ryan directed the offense to scores on their first six possessions. In the season opener against Kansas City, he guided the offense to scores on their first eight possessions.

Still, he was not pleased because they were not all touchdowns.

“I think red-zone touchdown percentage is huge,” Ryan said. “Last week, we scored on the first six drives, but we had opportunities on those last three that if we execute better you can put up touchdowns.”

Ryan has an edge to him that he rarely shows in public. But McClure said, don’t let Ryan’s calmness and boyish smile fool you.

“There’s been a few times where he’s gotten on some guys in some situations where we maybe got a penalty here and there,” McClure said.

Ryan’s teammates recognize him making the trek toward being one of the game’s better quarterbacks.

“This is nothing new to us,” running back Michael Turner said. “We have been seeing the improvement year in and year out. He’s ready to take it to the next level.”

Pretty good read. Obviously he had a terrible game against the Raiders a couple weeks ago which everyone was up in arms about, but he's going to be just fine. I loved the fact that when he was asked about what his Halloween plans were he said "my plans are to sit and watch Tony Romo and the Cowboys on film". That's awesome. That's a guy who's dedicated to winning, it's just another reason why he draws comparisons by some people to Peyton Manning.

It seems like he's prepared to do anything he needs to do just to make sure the Falcons don't falter again this year. MVP? Who cares. Undefeated? Who cares. That's his stance. You can't not love that.

I wouldn't say he really climbed to the next level. Yes he's playing lights out and yes he's playing better this season then the rest, but he was already a regular season wonder. Elite QB is his next level because he always does good in the regular season. If he continues this great play in the post season, makes some noise and get deep in the play offs, then yeah, he definitely stepped his game up to the next level which would be in the elite qb territory. That's what elite qbs do, step their game up in the post season. Matt Ryan hasn't went to the next level (elite qb) yet because he was already a regular season champion. He's just playing better in the regular season then before. None of this Falcons/Matt Ryan hype will matter if they get blown out or are 1 and done in the play offs again.

Edited by dutchff7

You mean when the FALCONS win a playoff game. Takes more than just a quarterback to win a football game.

He IS climbing to the next level. In the sense that he was probably between 5 - 15 in terms of quarterbacks. This year he's showing that he's a top 5 quarterback.

You mean when the FALCONS win a playoff game. Takes more than just a quarterback to win a football game.

He IS climbing to the next level. In the sense that he was probably between 5 - 15 in terms of quarterbacks. This year he's showing that he's a top 5 quarterback.

Qbs are judged by wins and losses in this league especially in the play offs. That's just how it is regardless of football being the ultimate team sport.

Matt Ryan is definitely playing like a top 5 QB, but because of his post season troubles, I can't put him ahead of QBs who win in the play offs and elevate their game play.

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Eli Manning

Ben Roethlisberger

9 superbowls and countless play off wins between those QBs who elevate their game in the play offs. Elevate your game can either mean lighting it up OR making the clutch plays when it counts to win the game(Big Ben & Eli).

Edited by dutchff7

It took Peyton and the Colts a long time to finally get that first playoff win. I don't see any reason why Ryan can't take that next step with his team. Considering the Falcons have lost to the NFC Champion every year the Falcons made the playoffs, they aren't much worse than teams that lost to those NFC Champions later in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

It took Peyton and the Colts a long time to finally get that first playoff win. I don't see any reason why Ryan can't take that next step with his team. Considering the Falcons have lost to the NFC Champion every year the Falcons made the playoffs, they aren't much worse than teams that lost to those NFC Champions later in the playoffs.

No one is doubting that he can't take that next step winning in the play offs, some ppl just aren't ready to say he's climbing up ranks until he DOES it. The Falcons have everything they need to be serious play off contenders. They just have to put it together in the play offs.

As far as them being not much worse then the other teams that lot to the Nfc Champions, I agree with you but those other teams put up more then 2 points last year and didn't get blown out.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Downvote 1

My issue is that people are saying he hasnt taken the next step based on a game they haven't even played yet. That's just retarded. He IS taking steps toward being one of the best. Clearly that is happening.

You can't judge Andrew Lucks week 10 performance when its still weeks away. So you can't judge the steps Matt Ryan has been taking based on his playoff game this year. Clearly he has been a completely different guy this year for the team and he's stepping up. How can you question that based in the future?

• Upvote 1

I would also like to point out that 3 of our 5 starting lineman were injured last season in that game, our defense was terrible and the special teams had the Falcons backed up to their own endzone most of the day.

When Matt Ryan gets to the NFC championship game this year, what will people have to hold against him? Nothing.

Out of all 5 seasons of Matt Ryan...we have seen growth. This year, we have seen something we have not seen. That is...Matt Ryan turning into a field general instead of a game manager. To me, this is going to be a special year for us. I'm not looking really at the past 8 games, we've played alright, but I know that we can play much better as a team.

I'm very excited for this years playoffs.

I've only seen two Falcons games this year--Raiders, @Eagles--and I've come away unimpressed with Ryan. Looking at Atlanta's schedule, though, it appears as if I've seen Ryan's two worst games.

Apparently, 22/29 with a 76% completion percentage, 3 TD's and averaging 9 yards attempt in hurricane like weather conditions in Philly is a bad game. One of his best performances of the year.

Apparently, 22/29 with a 76% completion percentage, 3 TD's and averaging 9 yards attempt in hurricane like weather conditions in Philly is a bad game. One of his best performances of the year.

Stats aren't everything. Yeah, Ryan didn't make any mistakes and was on target all day, but his receivers were open all day as well, including the big TD to Julio. He didn't have to make any impressive throws, but then he didn't really need to in that game.

As I alluded to, I'm pretty sure I've just seen his worst two games, and if I saw any others I'd come away impressed.

My issue is that people are saying he hasnt taken the next step based on a game they haven't even played yet. That's just retarded. He IS taking steps toward being one of the best. Clearly that is happening.

You can't judge Andrew Lucks week 10 performance when its still weeks away. So you can't judge the steps Matt Ryan has been taking based on his playoff game this year. Clearly he has been a completely different guy this year for the team and he's stepping up. How can you question that based in the future?

Exactly. How can he take the next step if he hasn't played in it yet? Matt Ryan has already had regular season success. The next step for him is a play off win. Yes, he's playing better in the regular season then he has in the past, but the play offs is what matters; especially to this team. Matt Ryan just blew off the 7-0 record when asked about it and made a reference to the play offs. No one isn't saying he's playing bad because he's playing lights out but clearly the next step / level for Ryan is the play offs because he's always been great in the regular season. His regular season record is amazing. The next level for Ryan is clearly the play offs; not better regular season accomplishments.

To say he's making no progress at all is stupid though. You can see by watching him he's making better decisions (Besides the Raiders game, which I can honestly say I credit the bye to the Raiders at this point) and he's been making better throws than he already previously had been making. I get that the playoffs are "the next step" but to sit and say you don't believe that he's ready to make that next step is just crazy.

Matt Ryan has been blowing off the 7-0 record not because he's just trying to win in the playoffs, but because the Falcons take the games one game at a time. That's exactly what he said on NFL Network yesterday. He said that while the 7-0 record is nice, and he really wants to win a playoff game, he can only look ahead to next week and that's all that is important to the team right now.

No one (Including me) has said that he's taken the next step. Simply implying that he's ready to take the next step and he's there. He's going to get it done this year. That's basically exactly what the article is saying.

To say he's making no progress at all is stupid though. You can see by watching him he's making better decisions (Besides the Raiders game, which I can honestly say I credit the bye to the Raiders at this point) and he's been making better throws than he already previously had been making.

No one is saying he isn't making progress. I'm just saying that I don't see this season as climbing to the next level. Climbing the next level is the Falcons winning a play off game under Matt Ryan / Mike Smith. I don't see how you can climb to the next level in the regular season when this organization consistently has a good regular season record and make the play offs. The post season will determine if Matt Ryan climbs to the next level or not imo.

I get that the playoffs are "the next step" but to sit and say you don't believe that he's ready to make that next step is just crazy.

To evaluate regular season success and try to use it as a determining factor for PLAY OFFS success is crazy. The play offs is an ENTIRELY different ball game. By that logic, Peyton should have a better post season record but he doesn't.

Matt Ryan has been blowing off the 7-0 record not because he's just trying to win in the playoffs, but because the Falcons take the games one game at a time. That's exactly what he said on NFL Network yesterday. He said that while the 7-0 record is nice, and he really wants to win a playoff game, he can only look ahead to next week and that's all that is important to the team right now.

No one (Including me) has said that he's taken the next step. Simply implying that he's ready to take the next step and he's there. He's going to get it done this year. That's basically exactly what the article is saying.

I believe that the Falcons have the potential to make a serious run as well. They have all the tools and Matt Ryan is definitely a franchise QB who can get the job done. I believe he has what it takes to take this team where it wants to go. But I'm more of a person that I'll believe it when I see it. :ninja:

Stats aren't everything. Yeah, Ryan didn't make any mistakes and was on target all day, but his receivers were open all day as well, including the big TD to Julio. He didn't have to make any impressive throws, but then he didn't really need to in that game.

As I alluded to, I'm pretty sure I've just seen his worst two games, and if I saw any others I'd come away impressed.

See I was thinking Ryan was fantastic in the game vs the Eagles. He looked similar to another QB that always carves us (and others) up, Peyton Manning. Nearly every time we played Manning, no matter the state of our defense, Manning always seemed to have wide open receivers to hit in stride. It was like watching that "old" Colts offense carving us up. I gave credit to Manning for hitting the open guy and making us look stupid and I'll do the exact same for Ryan. He killed us by being efficient, getting rid of the ball and taking everything the defense gave him. Kooetter had a great plan but that's not Ryan's fault.

• Upvote 1

See I was thinking Ryan was fantastic in the game vs the Eagles. He looked similar to another QB that always carves us (and others) up, Peyton Manning. Nearly every time we played Manning, no matter the state of our defense, Manning always seemed to have wide open receivers to hit in stride. It was like watching that "old" Colts offense carving us up. I gave credit to Manning for hitting the open guy and making us look stupid and I'll do the exact same for Ryan. He killed us by being efficient, getting rid of the ball and taking everything the defense gave him. Kooetter had a great plan but that's not Ryan's fault.

Yeah, I agree with this. You can't knock someone for putting on a great performance like that. Even if our defense was playing bad with broken coverages etc. Matt Ryan took what the defense gave him and played flawless.

Time to resurface this. Has Matt Ryan take it to the next level based of his play off performances?

Certainly. He can now play half a playoff game and the last minute like an elite QB. It's the other 29 minutes which he needs to work on.

• Upvote 1

Time for a necro bump :troll:

Edited by Bucman
  • Upvote 1

It's taken 9 years, but we've finally made it fam.