baltimoreravens

Who are your contenders?

NFL.com lists 17 teams as potential Superbowl contenders this year: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000091474/article/andrew-lucks-colts-jay-cutlers-bears-among-title-contenders?campaign=Twitter_writers_brooks

17. Indianapolis Colts

16. Miami Dolphins

15. Dallas Cowboys

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

13. San Diego Chargers

12. Detroit Lions

11. Seattle Seahawks

10. Baltimore Ravens

09. Green Bay Packers

08. Pittsburgh Steelers

07. New England Patriots

06. New York Giants

05. Atlanta Falcons

04. Denver Broncos

03. Houston Texans

02. San Francisco 49ers

01. Chicago Bears

I think they were a little kind to allow some teams in the contender category. Who do you consider legitimate contenders? Despite all the parity this year, I only see nine.

Here are mine:

10. :Steelers: - Like the Bears they've started to look really good, but there are still some issues there, especially when it comes to injuries.

09. :Ravens: - Maybe this is a homer pick but I think we have a shot just as we always do. With a weak AFC I don't see us missing the playoffs and we always do well in the playoffs. If we can conquer our troubles on the road we can beat anyone.

08. :Falcons: - Despite being undefeated, Matt Ryan has never proven himself in the post-season. This could be the year, but it just as easily could not.

07. :Broncos: - Peyton. Manning. That is all.

06. :Giants: - They did it last year. They've struggled a bit more recently, but let's remember that they were pretty mediocre last year and still pulled off the wins when it mattered.

05. :Patriots: - It's the Patriots. You can never rule them out.

04. :Packers: - People should not write them off at all. I think they're going to get healthier and really hit their stride when it counts.

03. :Bears: - Recently they've been one of the most impressive teams in terms of destroying lesser ones. But can Cutler take them all the way?

02. :49ers: - Barring a few anomaly loses they've been one of the more consistent teams and could make a run much like they did last year.

01. :Texans: - They look like one of the best teams right now, and if they stay healthy they have a really decent shot.

10. :Steelers: - Like the Bears they've started to look really good, but there are still some issues there, especially when it comes to injuries.

09. :Ravens: - Maybe this is a homer pick but I think we have a shot just as we always do. With a weak AFC I don't see us missing the playoffs and we always do well in the playoffs. If we can conquer our troubles on the road we can beat anyone.

08. :Falcons: - Despite being undefeated, Matt Ryan has never proven himself in the post-season. This could be the year, but it just as easily could not.

07. :Broncos: - Peyton. Manning. That is all.

06. :Giants: - They did it last year. They've struggled a bit more recently, but let's remember that they were pretty mediocre last year and still pulled off the wins when it mattered.

05. :Patriots: - It's the Patriots. You can never rule them out.

04. :Packers: - People should not write them off at all. I think they're going to get healthier and really hit their stride when it counts.

03. :Bears: - Recently they've been one of the most impressive teams in terms of destroying lesser ones. But can Cutler take them all the way?

02. :49ers: - Barring a few anomaly loses they've been one of the more consistent teams and could make a run much like they did last year.

01. :Texans: - They look like one of the best teams right now, and if they stay healthy they have a really decent shot.

I agree with your list though not the order of the ten teams.

Anyone outside of those ten ends up winning the whole thing, I will be absolutely shocked.

It occurred to me that I should put my list down, lol.

10. :Ravens: - The team I see as least likely to pull it off. I just don't think Flacco can carry a defense that isn't as good as in the past.

9. :Broncos: - Peyton is Peyton, and that includes the playoffs, where he has historically struggled.

8. :Giants: - Never gonna count the Giants out, and if they go on another streak, this team has the talent to pull it off, especially given the NFC East being a weak division.

7. :Patriots: - I like the Pats chances less this year than last. They are always dangerous, I just see other teams being more dangerous.

6. :Steelers: - Pitt is higher than many others have them, mainly because I think the way they play football translates very well into playoff wins.

5. :Packers: - Green Bay will be a strong contender, but they don't seem to be as consistent as usual. Part of that is probably due to injuries, so if they can keep guys healthy they can make a strong push.

4. :Texans: - Andre needs to step things up against stronger teams, or I just don't see the Texans making it. They need more of a passing game.

3. :49ers: - There is one reason that they are here and the team at #2 is ahead of them- turnovers. The Niners defense is great, but can Alex Smith do enough to take them to the big game? Somehow, I doubt it. Not this year, not in a loaded NFC.

2. :Bears: - The Bears defense is fantastic, the question mark, as always, is at the QB position. So long as Cutler doesn't throw the game away, the Bears can beat anyone.

1. :Falcons: - The Falcons biggest weakness is the lack of a running game. They need to be able to run down opposing defenses, and playing multiple great defenses in the playoffs will test this ability.

Edited by Thanatos19

1. :Falcons:

2. :Bears:

3. :49ers:

4. :Texans:

5. :Packers:

6. :Patriots:

7. :Giants:

8. :Steelers:

9. :Broncos:

10. :Ravens:

The Bears all depend on their defense continuing to play like they've played the last 3 weeks or so throughout the rest of the season.

It's hard for me to make an unbiased opinion, but even when I think about it from a completely different view I can't put anyone ahead of the Falcons right now. Their running game is an issue, but I really don't think it has anything to do with the running backs that are in Atlanta. The offensive line in Atlanta is just too spotty. There's always that one missing puzzle piece, and our line just isn't as good as Matt Ryan has made them look this year. (That was clear in the Dallas game)

So here are mine:

1. Falcons

2. Texans

3. Packers

4. Patriots

5. Broncos

6. 49ers (Too far down? Maybe. But their offense still doesn't scare anyone)

7. Steelers

8. Giants

9. Ravens

10. Colts

^Sounds crazy having the Colts there, doesn't it? These guys have been playing at a high level and the AFC isn't that tough this year. I think they could make a playoff run.

There is only one team, I see that even if you don't beat yourself, they can still win big. That's San Fran. Houston and Chicago, titans got wrecked by both of them. BUT, we did 90% of the damage to ourselves. The Houston game, until we beat ourselves by making our own mistakes, it was close. Arian Foster was shut down. AS BAD AS OUR DEFENSE has been, we were shutting down, Houston. Make no mistake, Houston is a good team. They are very good. BUT if u don't beat yourself, you can beat them. Aaron Rodgers played flawless and won by 18. Even the Jags, were holding them, til they started fucking up. So when Houston plays a team that doesn't make mistakes WITH a good QB, I see them losing. A lot of good QBs in the NFC and AFC that can beat them in the playoffs home or away.

As for Chicago, we got off to the WORST start I've ever seen for a team. We just kept playing down, and kept sinking. Congrats for Chicago for making us pay on those bonehead turnovers. But, I don't trust Jay Cutler. Not in the playoffs. That D basically makes you choose where to throw and if you choose wrong its a turnover most likely. Good QBs will be able to move the ball on them, someone like Peyton Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben. Forte has been a beast last two years, and they have weapons. But they don't protect well, and Cutler gun slings it when under pressure or gets a sack.

San Fran to me is the top spot team right now. That D can pretty much hold anybody, sure the Giants played flawless on them. They can run the ball and with balance, Smith can beat u with the weapons he has. Im not saying hes a top QB. But he is GOOD now. Hes changed into a smarter QB. Hes got WR's, tightends and RBs. Depth is there so they can handle a injury at the skill position.

As for other teams who are contenders but I don't see them beating San Fran, are ATL and the Giants. ATL is unbeaten and for power rankings should be #1. For now. They are unbeaten and deserve the top spot for now. Til they lose. I like the Falcons, their Wr duo is best in the league to me. Tony is still Tony. Turner is still a workhorse back, and Rodgers is a 3rd down RB who can get that first down when needed. BUT, I don't trust that defense. They slack off at times and I wonder why they play relaxed at times. Also, they cant do anything in the playoffs. If they win a playoff game, then that will make people, "OK, I can see this team winning it all". Until then, this all is nice and fine being 8-0 but u have to finish on a season like this.

The Giants, are a team of up and downs. They play hot for 5 weeks straight, dominate and then will suck for the next 4 games. When Eli is on fire, he is on fire. He has the weapons, and that Dline is nasty. The secondary is whatever, average at best. Better at stopping the run or playing the zone. It works when your Dline gets that pressure though. However, removed for a SB win the previous season. The Giants normally don't make the cut the next year. Im going with history. Giants might make the playoffs, but they wont do nothing. Not this Year.

The Bears all depend on their defense continuing to play like they've played the last 3 weeks or so throughout the rest of the season.

It's hard for me to make an unbiased opinion, but even when I think about it from a completely different view I can't put anyone ahead of the Falcons right now. Their running game is an issue, but I really don't think it has anything to do with the running backs that are in Atlanta. The offensive line in Atlanta is just too spotty. There's always that one missing puzzle piece, and our line just isn't as good as Matt Ryan has made them look this year. (That was clear in the Dallas game)

So here are mine:

1. Falcons

2. Texans

3. Packers

4. Patriots

5. Broncos

7. Steelers

8. Giants

9. Ravens

10. Colts

^Sounds crazy having the Colts there, doesn't it? These guys have been playing at a high level and the AFC isn't that tough this year. I think they could make a playoff run.

So you have the 49ers up there based on D but not the bears because we depend on them to play like they have been. LOLWUT. Do you really think Alex Smith would win games by himself? Jeeze what happened in O6 with rex grossman at Qb if my memory serves me correct we went to the superbowl.

So you have the 49ers up there based on D but not the bears because we depend on them to play like they have been. LOLWUT. Do you really think Alex Smith would win games by himself? Jeeze what happened in O6 with rex grossman at Qb if my memory serves me correct we went to the superbowl.

Id take San Fran's D over the Bears D is what he's saying I think.

I saw one post that discounted the Bears entirely. LOL. This is the best team in the NFC right now, because they're winning ugly and all it's going to take is them getting their offense going consistently, and there's no reason that's not going to happen. Chicago hasn't even hit their stride. Atlanta are paper tigers. San Fran got smashed by NYG (AT HOME) a couple of weeks ago, and aside from those four, the only other dark horses are Green Bay and Dallas if they can get on a roll (though it's likely they're too far gone to even qualify for the playoffs)

If Christian Ponder rediscovers his early season self, the Vikings could come back around, but allowing 36 and 30 two straight weeks (against lesser offenses) has me worried about their defense more than their QB.

As for the AFC? Houston, Pittsburgh, New England, and Indianapolis (I'm not kidding. This team is playing for something bigger than football. They will surprise us all this year).

So here are mine:

1. Falcons

2. Texans

3. Packers

4. Patriots

5. Broncos

7. Steelers

8. Giants

9. Ravens

10. Colts

You have the Colts and the Ravens in there, but Chicago isn't even a contender in your book?

I saw one post that discounted the Bears entirely. LOL. This is the best team in the NFC right now, because they're winning ugly and all it's going to take is them getting their offense going consistently, and there's no reason that's not going to happen. Chicago hasn't even hit their stride. Atlanta are paper tigers. San Fran got smashed by NYG (AT HOME)offenses) has me worried about their defense more than their QB.

Ok what makes you say the Bears are the best despite winning ugly, and the Falcons are paper tigers? 8-0 is better then 7-1 last time I checked. In my post I said ATL should be #1 RIGHT NOW in the season due to being unbeaten.

Oops. I accidentally put the Ravens where the Bears were supposed to be. My fault. Was a mistake.

I meant to leave the Ravens off, I think I was just jogging my train of thought there. Now I'll hear "You leave the ravens off and put the colts in?" Yes. Yes I do. Because I really don't think the Ravens, while they're good, will keep on overcoming the injuries they've sustained down the stretch.

I'm also curious to hear the reason why 56Ace said that Atlantas defense slacks off....

Edited by Chris D

Ok what makes you say the Bears are the best despite winning ugly, and the Falcons are paper tigers? 8-0 is better then 7-1 last time I checked. In my post I said ATL should be #1 RIGHT NOW in the season due to being unbeaten.

The Bears demolish teams they should beat (with the exception of Carolina). Atlanta struggled to beat Oakland.

Also it should be noted mikey Aaron Rodgers has the most trouble with the Bears D than any other D. Packers superbowl run A rod destroyed other teams the bears brought it back down to earth. Their first game this season it was the worst I ve seen rodgers play. You bring up big ben for some reason seeing as how they only play once every four years and we won the last meeting.

The Bears demolish teams they should beat (with the exception of Carolina). Atlanta struggled to beat Oakland.

I hate this argument. This isn't college football, it doesn't matter how badly you defeat inferior opponents just that you beat them. They also only beat Detroit by 6 so I don't know if that's "demolishing".

Speaking of inferior opponents that's all Chicago has played. They did beat Indianapolis in Week 1 but you're kidding yourselves if you think Indy is anywhere close to the team that they were then. They've made great strides (as has Luck in his first season). Other than that the only .500 team they've beaten is Detroit.

I understand you don't make your schedule but am I wrong for wanting to see them do it against a good team? They've had one chance so far this season and they blew it (against Green Bay). They have another this Sunday against Houston.

As for the teams I think are LEGIT Super Bowl contenders (which I consider the Bears are at this point just not as highly as others think)...

1) :Texans:

2) :49ers:

3) :Giants:

4) :Falcons:

5) :Patriots:

6) :Packers:

7) :Ravens:

8) :Bears:

9) :Broncos:

10) :Steelers:

Edited by JetsFan4Life
  • Upvote 1

I saw one post that discounted the Bears entirely. LOL. This is the best team in the NFC right now, because they're winning ugly and all it's going to take is them getting their offense going consistently, and there's no reason that's not going to happen. Chicago hasn't even hit their stride. Atlanta are paper tigers. San Fran got smashed by NYG (AT HOME) a couple of weeks ago, and aside from those four, the only other dark horses are Green Bay and Dallas if they can get on a roll (though it's likely they're too far gone to even qualify for the playoffs)

Nobody is discrediting the Bears for what they have accomplished, the Bears have a top 10 defense this year for sure. But the reason they are winning games is because of that defense being able to score points, and force turnovers. Defensive turnovers and special teams is good to win you games, but its unsustainable, and wildly inconsistent from year to year, and even from week to week. And its a completely different story when you are facing a team that doesn't turn the ball over, or can sustain drives without killing themselves which is why it works during the regular season.

That offense doesn't have the fire power to consistently hang with the better offenses in the league, and until it proves it, putting them ahead of some of these other teams makes no sense.

Nobody is discrediting the Bears for what they have accomplished, the Bears have a top 10 defense this year for sure. But the reason they are winning games is because of that defense being able to score points, and force turnovers. Defensive turnovers and special teams is good to win you games, but its unsustainable, and wildly inconsistent from year to year, and even from week to week. And its a completely different story when you are facing a team that doesn't turn the ball over, or can sustain drives without killing themselves which is why it works during the regular season.

That offense doesn't have the fire power to consistently hang with the better offenses in the league, and until it proves it, putting them ahead of some of these other teams makes no sense.

Dmac, what team in the NFC has an offense that Chicago can't hang with- along with a good enough defense that would make their offense be unable to hang with them? I can think of only one possibility- the Packers. Every other team in the NFC that has a better offense than Chicago also has a bad enough defense that the Bears offense- which is pretty good, by the way- would be able to hang with them, IMO.

Chicago is #2 in the NFC, and I think I would take them over Atlanta in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Dmac, what team in the NFC has an offense that Chicago can't hang with- along with a good enough defense that would make their offense be unable to hang with them? I can think of only one possibility- the Packers. Every other team in the NFC that has a better offense than Chicago also has a bad enough defense that the Bears offense- which is pretty good, by the way- would be able to hang with them, IMO.

Chicago is #2 in the NFC, and I think I would take them over Atlanta in the playoffs.

If we were separating this by conference, then yeah, they'd find their way into the top 3 or 4... But we aren't.

I'd take the 49ers, Packers, and probably the Giants as well over the Bears.

The Bears have the best defense in the NFL right now. That's how I look at it. But, I don't trust Jay Cutler at all. That's why I put them so low. When the defense is absolutely cooking, it seems like the offense plays great (As they should). However, when the defense isn't there, what happens? Jay Cutler is a good quarterback, but I feel like when the defense doesn't play as well as they have been he has an "i don't care" type of play. Perhaps that's just me. But for the Bears to win, they need that defense to be doing what it's done the past few weeks which is dominate. I can't see ANY team maintaining defensive performance like the Bears have had for an entire season. Somewhere it has to give.

You can piss and moan about the Bears defensive team being that low on my rankings all you want but to me, it's the same as people saying the Falcons aren't true contenders or up near the top of the favorites because LAST YEARS team didn't win a playoff game.

As for anyone with a problem with me bumping the Ravens out and the Colts in, I don't see how you can be upset. I mean, the Ravens are destroyed right now. Their still a good football team, but their probably going to take a wild card. The Colts have started looking better and better, and more importantly Andrew Luck has looked better and better. The AFC looks like an easy road to the Superbowl once you get past the Steelers and the Texans. I see no reason that the Colts wouldn't be able to win the wild-card game and then perhaps challenge in their next game.

^

I don't have a problem with that logic but Indy is a young team while the Ravens have playoff experience. We've won road at least one road playoff game all four seasons since the Harbaugh/Flacco era began. I know we have our struggles on the road this year (as we always do) but this team gets it together when we have to. But, it is fair to say that injuries could be what holds us back. I won't deny that we're a little bit of a mess right now.

^

I don't have a problem with that logic but Indy is a young team while the Ravens have playoff experience. We've won road at least one road playoff game all four seasons since the Harbaugh/Flacco era began. I know we have our struggles on the road this year (as we always do) but this team gets it together when we have to. But, it is fair to say that injuries could be what holds us back. I won't deny that we're a little bit of a mess right now.

The team isn't the issue. Everyone knows what the Ravens offense is capable of when they are all clicking. My issue is the defense. Ray Lewis, Webb, it's a scary situation with those two out for the rest of the season. Don't even get me started on Haloti Ngata. He hasn't looked anywhere near the same player since injuring his MCL earlier in the season - however slight they may have claimed, I think there was much more to that one. If they were all healthy, they would probably be 2nd behind the Texans in the AFC for me. We'll see though, motivation goes a long way in todays league.