AllYouNeedIsLovie

Update - Colin Kaepernick named starter for Rams game

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start against NO?

• Colin Kaepernick
    • Alex Smith

Kaepernick took full advantage of the opportunity he was given last night due to Alex Smith's concussion and lit up a very good Bears defense. He took multiple shots down field and has the 49ers offense rolling. With that being said, who starts next week against New Orleans?

Smith has done a good job for the most part this season and has shown he can do it in the playoffs. I say make Smith the starter for the rest of this year, but consider making Kapernick the starter afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Defenses have almost no game tape on Kaepernick. I can't make judgement based on one game, we have seen QBs do this before.

It'd be a shame that Alex Smith is sidelined due to an injury and in the same breathe he loses his job because Kaepernick played so well. Having said that, the NFL is a business and you make sure your best players are out on that field. So tough shit for Alex.

However, Kaepernick doesn't get the job over Smith after one game. Alex Smith was a game away from leading the 49ers to the Super Bowl last year. This season, Smith has posted 1700 yards, 13 TDs, 5 INTs, and has a 70% completion percentage. Kaepernick had a strong game last night, but Alex Smith doesn't deserved to be benched after "one good game" from his backup.

Harbaugh shouldn't even be considering this.

Edited by Maverick

I know that team official message boards usually don't have the brightest fans, but they have this same exact poll over at the 49ers board and Colin Kaepernick is up 92-65.

FTR, I think they should start Alex Smith.

Edited by MuscleHamster22

Alex Smith's last two games:

25/27, 304 yards, 92.6% completion, 4 TD, 0 INT, 10.6 Yards per attempt.

157 QBR against ARI, 143 QBR against the Rams in limited time.

Edited by BayAreaBomber
Wrong YPA

Colin Kaepernick makes them so much more explosive. No defensive coordinator is gonna stay up late at night sweating over how he's gonna stop Alex Smith. Start Kaepernick.

Kaepernick makes the offense better, IMO... And the 49ers drafted him to be the starter someday. But Alex Smith has been playing extremely good football the last year and a half. He will start through this season unless he REALLY stinks it up in the near future.

Next year... One of them will be gone. Question is -- which do the Niners stick with?

I think they should stick with Smith. Colin brings something extra to the offense, but we've seen teams multiple times struggle to defend one guy when they've been game planing for another. I think Kaep can be the answer, but I'm not sold yet.

• Upvote 1

There's definitely a chance that I'm suffering from "prisoner of the moment," but I've always been a fan of Kaepernick and he just simply passes the eye test for me. He had complete control at the line, and he provided a spark for his teammates. (Especially Vernon Davis)

Nothing against Alex Smith, because I firmly believe that he is a good game manager out there, but Kaep has the makings of being more than a game manager. He's a spark plug to that offense, much like Russell Wilson has been in Seattle. It's not an easy decision for a head coach to make, but I say start the kid.

There's definitely a chance that I'm suffering from "prisoner of the moment," but I've always been a fan of Kaepernick and he just simply passes the eye test for me. He had complete control at the line, and he provided a spark for his teammates. (Especially Vernon Davis)

Nothing against Alex Smith, because I firmly believe that he is a good game manager out there, but Kaep has the makings of being more than a game manager. He's a spark plug to that offense, much like Russell Wilson has been in Seattle. It's not an easy decision for a head coach to make, but I say start the kid.

I don't think it is just you, though. As I said earlier, I think the Niners drafted him KNOWING (or hoping) he would look like this and take over this football team. You have to remember that the Niners LET Alex Smith test free agency last year. You don't let your franchise QB of the future hit the open market like that. They did bring him back for a fairly lucrative deal, but it's only for 3 years. Again... If this is your franchise QB of the future.... Why not lock him up for the rest of his career?

Colin Kaepernick is the future of this team... I know it, you know it, the 49ers know it.

Even if they change their minds, they could trade either guy for a nice package in the offseason.

Man, Harbaugh isn't good at hiding the fact that he doesn't want Smith to be there (Though I don't necessarily fault him for trying to bring in Peyton). I'd but somewhat pissed if I were Smith.

As for the topic at hand, assuming he's healthy, stick with Smith. You shouldn't lose your job because of injury (especially if it's just one or two games) and you shouldn't lose your job because of one good game from someone else (especially if you were playing well before the injury and your team was winning).

Edited by Vin

Man, Harbaugh isn't good at hiding the fact that he doesn't want Smith to be there. I'd but somewhat pissed if I were Smith.

As for the topic at hand, assuming he's healthy, stick with Smith. You shouldn't lose your job because of injury (especially if it's just one or two games) and you shouldn't lose your job because of one good game from someone else (especially if you were playing well before the injury and your team was winning).

Ya, he was asked about it and he would NOT give a name. Granted, maybe that's strategic... But Alex Smith won't be the starting QB for the Niners next season unless something completely unpredictable happens.

Alex Smith's last two games:

25/27, 304 yards, 92.6% completion, 4 TD, 0 INT, 10.6 Yards per attempt.

157 QBR against ARI, 143 QBR against the Rams in limited time.

Kaepernick makes the offense better, IMO... And the 49ers drafted him to be the starter someday. But Alex Smith has been playing extremely good football the last year and a half. He will start through this season unless he REALLY stinks it up in the near future.

Next year... One of them will be gone. Question is -- which do the Niners stick with?

pretty much what they said, it'd be one thing if Smith was having a bad season, or evena mediocre season, but he's been playing really well, and it's not like the '9ers offense has been anemic with him under center, I'd put Smith back in when he's ready and give Kaepernick the chance to take the job next offseason

The only reason I'd consider Kaepernick is not just because of yesterday's performance but because it was against the Bears defense that has received such high praise.

That being said stick with Smith right now. He's been doing good, almost got them to the Super Bowl last year he deserves to at least finish this year out considering he's playing well.

Alex Smith. No question. I like Kaepernick and I think he can be very useful for us, but Alex Smith is the guy who will lead us to the Super Bowl. Kaepernick does so well because his snaps are limited and defenses don't know what to expect. Like Dmac said when you game plan for one QB and another shows up, your defense is already a step behind. Colin definitely has a lot of potential, and he could very well be our starter in the future but now isn't the time to be changing something that major on offense.

One game doesn't make a QB in this league.

• Upvote 1

I think Kaepernick took full advantage of his chance, and I think doing what he did against the most opportunistic D in the league was nothing short of impressive. Having said that...

I think to take the starting gig away from Smith would be completely unfair at this time. He hasn't given too many reasons to believe he can't keep leading them to wins. He's playing at a very high level of efficiency and I just don't think he should be taken out based on one solid performance from a rookie, regardless of the D he faced. It would be a slap in the face considering the work he has put in this year, coupled with the success he has seen.

I keep hearing the comparison of playmaker versus game manager on TV, and I swear if I hear the term "game manager" in a negative context one more time I'm gonna scream. There is nothing wrong with a game manager if it works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, unless you just feel like being BB or Steve Spurrier and want to hammer your opponenent as much as humanly possible within a 60 minute time frame. As soon as Smith's game managing skills start to decline, I may see things differently. Until then, I think making a change would do more harm than good on several levels.

If Smith is healthy I don't think you can go away from him. The guy has played brilliant recently. Must be nice though to have Kaepernick on the sidelines if Smith starts turning the ball over or creating a mess (Not that I see that happening).

There's no quarterback controversy here, the media is making it out to be more than what it is. Like always.

Alex Smith is a veteran who's been with the team since he was drafted in '05 I think? Smith has really paid his dues and made extraordinary progress with his game since Harbaugh has arrived and given San Fran stability and an identity. Smith has just been so efficient the past year and a half and has really bought in and been a team player doing everything that his coaches have asked and doing it well and most importantly the 9ers are winning a ton of games with him under center as of late. Benching him while he's sidelined with an injury for an unproven player is not only a bad decision from a football stand point, but it's also the wrong message to send to your locker room as the head coach. Harbaugh is smarter than that. Having said that you know that Smith won't be handed the number 1 QB job next year unless San Fran wins the Super Bowl. Then they probably trade Kaepernick.

BREAKING: Jim Harbaugh has informed Alex Smith that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday, per source. Said decision not based on health.[/Quote]

Thought like most of you that he would stick with Smith interested to see how Kaepernick does when actually planned for i liked him coming out of Nevada.

Edited by Sacks98

Wow.

I don't think I'm smarter than an NFL head coach but this is just the wrong thing to do.

Never cared for Harbaugh...

Yeah, this is the wrong decision. I firmly believe that Chicago knew they'd probably lose last Monday without Cutler, and that may have affected how their defense played. You line these two teams up again and Kaepernick probably struggles.

Oh well. When he has a rough patch in the SuperDome, #11 will be playing soon enough.

I like the mover personally. You know what you have with Smith and that is a guy who can help you with not screwing up wins and is good at handing the ball off. Kaepernick has the advantage of not being a known factor here.

Another reason is what I now call the "Tebow Crowd". This group is infectious and the ranks swell rapidly if your starter has a bad game and are not loyal to "your guy". If Alex Smith starts to hit a rough patch then the distraction to the team will be enormous because the 9ers are undoubtedly a playoff team and they are going to want to win. People are going to say why didnt you have Kaepernick in ? He could have won that game...blah, blah, blah. Then if he does come in and flops a lot of people are going to say that he was taken out of his rhythm and they should have rode the hot hand. It has now become a lose lose in that aspect.

Also consider what Harbaugh has done with Alex Smith. If he can do that to what was a dog shit Alex Smith then imagine what he can do with a guy with much better physical tools. He has the two things that he will need to make Kaepernick a success. A dominant O line and a great running game. Pair that with a stout defense who will not require much of the young QB to win and now is the time to see what you have.

Opposing defenses will also have something else to think about and gameplan for when they play the 9ers now. A guy who can make plays with his feet, not to say Alex isnt athletic, because he is. It is just that Kap is so much more explosive.

Worst case scenario: Kap flops and you go back to Alex Smith as you have locked him up already. now you can say he wont play for you but he is going to want to up his stock so he can get one more decent payday while he does play. You also find out if you have got a long term starter in your club or do you need to start thinking contingencies.

Best Case: Kap is your guy and makes the 9ers so much more explosive then what they are and add that to an already dangerous and top 5 team and they are SB favorites again.

Also, I dont think the bears D was effected by the shitty O. They have played with one for years so if anything they are in familiar territory. As to them having game planned for smith ang get Kap, a 1st year guy who has had limited playing time going up against that D. They should have been licking their chops.

This really could end badly though. What if Kaep has a bad game or two?! Then you get into a situation where you want to start Alex Smith again... What if he plays poorly, then you might switch again. It could turn into a crazy carousel which would be hard on everybody in that locker room, IMO. Let's just hope Kaep performs like he did the other night.

This really could end badly though. What if Kaep has a bad game or two?! Then you get into a situation where you want to start Alex Smith again... What if he plays poorly, then you might switch again. It could turn into a crazy carousel which would be hard on everybody in that locker room, IMO. Let's just hope Kaep performs like he did the other night.

I hope he doesn't so that we can see how stupid of a move this is by Jimmy.