Mathias

Update: Jags claim Jason Babin

‏@adbrandt

Eagles release Jason Babin. Will owe remaining balance of $5.6M salary, $1.64M, if he is not claimed on waivers.

Well you know exactly what you're getting from him, a playoff team that needs a little extra pass rush could be looking at him, like Baltimore, Cincy, or maybe even the Falcons. He has not been bad this year so I don't really understand why they wouldn't wait till the end of the season to do this.

I hate the fact that he's an arrogant toolbag, but Mike Nolan is making Kroy Biermann look like a stud since lmaoRayEdwards sorry ass was cut.

We need more pass rush, because Biermann and Abraham are not enough.

KING ARTHUR, DO THY BIDDING.

Ya... Somebody explain this one to me. lol

Get on the phone lines, Mark Dominik. Our pass rush has been very poor lately as teams are starting to double team McCoy and Bennett and we have no one else who can get to the quarterback really besides Bowers who is coming off an injury very early. Babin would be huge for us as we continue our playoff run for this year and he would help in the future as depth once we get Clayborn back. Bowers, Bennett, Babin and Clayborn would be one hell of a DE rotation. :yep:

Gotta pass waivers first... Dunno if he will.

1. KC, 2. JAX, 3. PHI, 4. OAK, 5. CLE, 6. CAR, 7. SD, 8. BUF, 9. TEN, 10. DET, 11. AZ, 12. NYJ

I would love to have him but it will never happen so I wont get my hopes up.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

I just said yesterday that Babin was going to get cut. His production disappeared from how he performed last year. But who hasn't on this team lol? With that said though, we are stacked at the D-line position. We have Brandon Graham who has made some good plays with his opportunities, Phillip Hunt and Vinny Curry. Curry didn't do to bad for getting action for the 1st time this year. He was pretty good against the run and got like 2 pressures. If you've watched the tape on Babin this year, there were A LOT of times when our D-line was getting doubled and Babin had 1 on 1 match ups and lost bad. Trent Cole hasn't been doing all that well either but only have Darryl Tap behind Cole compared to Brandon Graham behind Babin. I like Cole more anyway. I saw this move coming. Now I expect someone to pick up Babin (probably a play off team) and then he starts lighting it up.

Well you know exactly what you're getting from him, a playoff team that needs a little extra pass rush could be looking at him, like Baltimore, Cincy, or maybe even the Falcons. He has not been bad this year so I don't really understand why they wouldn't wait till the end of the season to do this.

all I can figure is they're expecting someone to pick him up off waivers and the Eagles won't have to pay him for the rest of the season

Very unlikely he will match his production from that one year in philly and his last year as a titan. Other than that complete bust. Don't know why people are so high on him.

Brandon Graham has outplayed Babin and we just used a 2nd round pick on Vinny Curry. You'd think they'd cut Tapp but it probably had something to do with clearing up cap space. The Eagles are going to be working with a TON of cap space and more young talent than it may appear. If we can get the right coach in here we could be back in the hunt very soon.

Brandon Graham has outplayed Babin and we just used a 2nd round pick on Vinny Curry. You'd think they'd cut Tapp but it probably had something to do with clearing up cap space. The Eagles are going to be working with a TON of cap space and more young talent than it may appear. If we can get the right coach in here we could be back in the hunt very soon.

You mean, next year, you guys might have a... dream team? :troll:

I was listening to Fox Sports Radio on the way home this morning from work and they were saying that he was released most likely because of locker room issues. I wonder how much of a stretch or how much of the truth that is.

I certainly don't believe that he'll make it beyond the Jets on the waivers.

Get on the phone lines, Mark Dominik. Our pass rush has been very poor lately as teams are starting to double team McCoy and Bennett and we have no one else who can get to the quarterback really besides Bowers who is coming off an injury very early. Babin would be huge for us as we continue our playoff run for this year and he would help in the future as depth once we get Clayborn back. Bowers, Bennett, Babin and Clayborn would be one hell of a DE rotation. :yep:

Local beat writers, PR writers etc., and I think even John Clayton, have said we're not interested/aren't going after him...

Well, Vinny Curry is gonna get a lot of PT now at least...

My thoughts exactly.

Probably the biggest reason that Babin was released. Give those young guys some playing time.

IIRC, and Eagles fans can confirm or deny, Vinny Curry has been a healthy scratch.

No longer...

• Upvote 1

I was listening to Fox Sports Radio on the way home this morning from work and they were saying that he was released most likely because of locker room issues. I wonder how much of a stretch or how much of the truth that is.

I'm willing to believe that, because here's what I know for sure: Babin was more concerned with his Twitter followers and his fans than with his production on the field. This opens things up for Brandon Graham and Vinny Curry, and also frees up cap space, as Sean alluded to.

IIRC, and Eagles fans can confirm or deny, Vinny Curry has been a healthy scratch.

No longer...

That is correct. He showed some promise in Monday night's game, and Graham's been showing promise the entire season. Time to let them loose.

Link:

REPORT: It hasn’t taken long for Babin to start lining up interviews. He is on his way to Atlanta to interview with the Falcons and will proceed to the New Orleans Saints following his interview with Atlanta. From there Jason will head to Denver on Wednesday night to talk shop with the Broncos. Another team that could be interested in his services are the Detroit Lions who also run the wide-9.

The Jacksonville Jaguars have decided to use their lofty waiver position in an effort to improve their pass rush.

The Jaguars claimed former Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Jason Babin off waivers Wednesday, a source close to the player told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Eight teams placed a claim on Babin, and only the Kansas City Chiefs had a higher position in the NFL's waiver claim priority list.

The Jaguars will be responsible for the remaining $1.69 million of Babin's 2012 salary. They will also inherit the terms of the rest of his deal, which calls for $4.225 million in 2013. It's a smart move by the Jaguars.

The team is looking for pass rush help and Babin fits their 4-3 scheme well. More importantly, the Jaguars get a five-week test drive to see if they want to keep Babin at a relatively low rate for 2013. If Babin doesn't play well, they can easily release him in the offseason just like the Eagles did on Tuesday.

The news will come as a disappointment to fans of some contending teams that were hoping for a random late-season acquisition. But the NFL rules favor parity, and that means small advantages for squads like Jacksonville at the bottom of the standings. This is a perfect example of that concept in action.

Per NFL.com

link

Edited by Ngata_Chance

Damn, I thought he'd end up at a playoff contender, not the Jags.

I didn't expect all of the bad teams to pass on him, I'd be interested to know how many (and which) other teams tried to pick him up