blotsfan

Consolidate the forums.

I think the forums are too cluttered with subforums that aren't used. I think the worst offenders of this are the College football forums and the other sports area. Both have a lot of subforums that aren't actually used much, and I'd argue that it makes the site less easy to peruse.

The NCAA area has 6 Subforums for conferences, but the SEC one is the only one that has any posts in the last month. I'm not saying that getting rid of the subforums will make the college football area a booming place of activity, but I bet it will reduce the vibe of it being a completely dead area, especially since a lot of people just post stuff in the general area regardless. If activity really picks up there, then maybe subforums would be necessary, but for now I think they're detracting. The game day subforum is all you really need there.

Other sports has the same issue. The only subforum that gets real activity is the baseball one. Either the forum is completely dead like MMA, or theres basically only one or two threads going on like in the basketball one. I don't think the general sports area would get too cluttered if you destroyed all the subforums other than baseball.

Also, I think it doesn't look good to have so many subforums dedicated to things that the forum is done with. I wasn't involved with them, but the interactive league, best player in NFL, and All century teams games seem to be finished with, but their subforums still remain.

Another thing I think should happen is the merging of all the division forums. I'd say one AFC and one NFC would be all thats necessary. In fact, I think you'd see more activity because I personally tend to just check the AFC East forum and generally don't venture into the other divisions. This would make the forums more closely connected.

Lastly, I'd say the Miscellaneous football one should definitely be consolidated. I get that motm keeps the CFL part somewhat active, but it wouldn't be overrun with activity if they're all merged (especially since the UFL doesn't even exist anymore).

I guess my main point I'm trying to make is that I think that subforums should only be used to separate topics when combining them its too overwhelming for one forum, not so everything can be perfectly categorized. If I look at a new forum and I see the vast majority of it is dead space, I'm probably not gonna stay there. This is a great forum, but looking at it from the outside, it definitely has this problem. Please consider my ideas. Even if you don't do all of them, I think they would make TGP a better place.

• Upvote 2

Other sports has the same issue. The only subforum that gets real activity is the baseball one. Either the forum is completely dead like MMA, or theres basically only one or two threads going on like in the basketball one. I don't think the general sports area would get too cluttered if you destroyed all the subforums other than baseball.

Hey I am trying to keep the MMA alive but nobody likes MMA apparently....Fuckers.

Hey I am trying to keep the MMA alive but nobody likes MMA apparently....Fuckers.

That's because this is a sports forum.

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

That's because this is a sports forum.

:laugh:

I mean, I just think MMA stuff could be posted in the general sports area. Heck, more people would probably look at your MMA posts if it was there. How often do you go into a sports subforum if you don't care about the sport?

I feel like this "issue" has been addressed multiple times by just about every administration we've had, and nothing ever comes from it. I also don't think it's a big deal, but it couldn't hurt to clean things up a bit.

I don't see any harm in axing all the college football subforums (we've tried and failed to make that section active, so just give it one section); merging Other Sports into one forum seems fair; and getting rid of the forums for the things like best player in the NFL and all-century teams should have been done months ago, so that's a no-brainer.

One thing I strongly disagree with, however, in blots' post is the merging of all division forums. I really like that each division has its own subforum. It's been that way since the TFP days and, I don't know, maybe I'm old school, but I would feel weird if there was just an AFC and NFC forum. I also believe each section has sufficient activity so that if you merged them, it would get very cluttered.

• Upvote 1

I get the keeping with tradition idea. Nothing I can really do to argue that. However, I think you're overestimating how cluttered it'd get. From november 3rd to today, there were 4 threads that got posted in in all 4 NFC forums. There were 7 in the AFC. I think merging them would just help bump dead threads off the front page, which is a sign of a more active forum. I think it should be done, and if it really does become too cluttered that it becomes unpleasant, maybe we could go back to that.

I get the keeping with tradition idea. Nothing I can really do to argue that. However, I think you're overestimating how cluttered it'd get. From november 3rd to today, there were 4 threads that got posted in in all 4 NFC forums. There were 7 in the AFC. I think merging them would just help bump dead threads off the front page, which is a sign of a more active forum. I think it should be done, and if it really does become too cluttered that it becomes unpleasant, maybe we could go back to that.

I see your perspective, though my position remains the same. I think we start start with some of the minor things you initially mentioned (College FB, Other Sports, etc.), and then see what happens.

Ya... I really don't like division merges. I am not sure what your stat from Nov 3 to today means... 6 of the 8 division forums have 20 threads each posted since November third. NFC S and NFC W definitely need some work, I agree with you there. I shall make it a priority of mine to try get things rolling in those two areas in particular. But I really don't want anywhere from 40-80 threads in each conference forum. That just seems like way to much and even harder to find things.

The other ones, though. I don't really disagree with. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Upvote 1

Wow. I meant November 30th. Thats bad typo by me. I figured that'd be a cutoff to show recent stuff.

I only talk College football on a forum dedicated to Ohio State. This forum is so SEC and anti-Buckeye, it's hard to discuss football. That's not a knock on this forum, it's like that all over the interwebs.

I was going to post this in the staff forum in the next day or so, haha. I think General Photos and Videos can be done away with as well. Most of the time people still post pictures and videos in The Sideline, so it's kinda' useless as a subforum.

The only part I'm not on board with is, as others have mentioned, the division subforums.

Yeah definitely agree with the College forums. The 10 billion sub-forums could all be combined into the one. I think the division sub-forums should definitely remain the way they are. I personally like it that way, and it seems as if a lot of other people do to.

Some other changes could definitely be made though, like merging General Entertainment + General Photo/Video + Forum Games into the one sub.

Yeah definitely agree with the College forums. The 10 billion sub-forums could all be combined into the one. I think the division sub-forums should definitely remain the way they are. I personally like it that way, and it seems as if a lot of other people do to.

Some other changes could definitely be made though, like merging General Entertainment + General Photo/Video + Forum Games into the one sub.

Forum Games is only by itself because they don't count toward post count.

• Upvote 1

Should stay that way, IMO. :yep:

Count me in the group that like all the suggestions aside from the divisions merger.

Ahhh that's right...totally forgot, my bad.

All the NCAA subforums, AFL/CFL/UFL, and the other sports subforums have been merged into each of their parent forums respectively. The Bookie forum has been removed and its info merged with the NFL Gameday forum, since that's where the bookie threads are now taking place. And finally, the General Videos & Photos subforum has been merged with the Sideline.

Thanks for listening. When I get other ideas of brilliance I'll be sure to let you know.

I agree, and putting the sports main discussion threads as stickys was a good idea.

• Upvote 1