3.) Arian Foster

4.) Shady McCoy

5.) MJD

6.) Marshawn Lynch

7.) Jamaal Charles

8.) CJ Spiller

9.) Alfred Morris

10.) Doug Martin

Some of the rookies made it, but this list is more geared towards consistency in producing. 6-9 are a wash in consistency however I believe they could be. Frank Gore is so low because of the miles on the tires and he is not Frank Gore circa 2007 when he was the inconvenient truth. 2-4 I put in there in no concrete order but in how I would oder my depth chart if they were on my team.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Maurice Jones-Drew

3. Jamaal Charles

4. Arian Foster

5. Marshawn Lynch

6. Darren McFadden

7. Ray Rice

8. LeSean McCoy

9. CJ Spiller

10. Alfred Morris

When everybody's healthy, that's how my list would look. And honestly, everyone after AP was kind of a crapshoot. I don't think I could definitively say that #2 on my list is better than #10.

Edited by NY Diehard

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Marshawn Lynch

3. Arian Foster

4. Ray Rice

5. MJD

6. Jamaal Charles

7. Matt Forte

8. Lesean Mccoy

9. Darren Mcfadden

10. CJ Spiller

11. Frank Gore

12. Alfred Morris

13. Stevan Ridley

14. Reggie Bush

15. Doug Martin

16. Stephen Jackson

17. Darren Sproles

18. Trent Richardson

19. Fred Jackson

20. Chris Johnson

21. Ahmad Bradshaw

22. Jonathan Stewart

23. Phil

24. Demarco Murray

25. Michael Turner

26. Shonne Greene.

27. Ryan Matthews

28. Willis Mcgahee

29. Beanie Wells

30. Name any Lions back

31. Name any Packers Back

32. Name any Stoolers back

Edited by ATL

1.) Adrian Peterson

2.) Ray Rice

3.) Arian Foster

4.) Shady McCoy

5.) MJD

6.) Jamaal Charles

7.) CJ Spiller

8.) Alfred Morris

9.) Doug Martin

10.) Frank Gore

Y U NO HAVE MARHSHAWN LYNCH??

• Upvote 1

Y U NO HAVE MARHSHAWN LYNCH??

Well when I looked at his overall.....yeah ok I just straight forgot. I did it off the top of my head. My apologies TGP, you deserve better.

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Ray Rice

3. Marshawn Lynch

4. Arian Foster

5. LeSean McCoy

6. Maurice Jones-Drew

7. Jamaal Charles

8. CJ Spiller

9. Darren McFadden

10. Alfred Morris

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Ray Rice

3. LeSean McCoy

4. C.J. Spiller

5. Arian Foster

6. Marshawn Lynch

7. Frank Gore

8. Jamaal Charles

9. Darren McFadden

10. Alfred Morris

1. Chris Johnson

2. Everyone else.

:troll:

Assuming just basing off what happened this year:

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Marshawn Lynch

3. Jamaal Charles

4. Alfred Morris

5. Arian Foster

6. Chris Johnson

7. Ray Rice

8. Stevan Ridley

9. Frank Gore

10. CJ Spiller

You can flip around 4-10 all you want as far as I'm concerned. Doug Martin might could fight his way up in the list too. I just listed them off the top of my head. The top 3 are the only ones who were truly elite this year, IMO.

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Jamaal Charles

3. Marshawn Lynch

4. Maurice Jones-Drew

5. Ray Rice

6. Arian Foster

7. LeSean McCoy

8. C.J. Spiller

9. Matt Forte

10. Frank Gore

I fucking forgot Shady McCoy....

Edited by Bay

I'm using space to group these, within a group you can rearrange if you want and I'd probably agree:

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Arian Foster

3. Ray Rice

4. Jamaal Charles

5. LeSean McCoy

6. Marshawn Lynch

7. Matt Forte

8. Chris Johnson

9. CJ Spiller

10a. Alfred Morris (would be in the Foster/Rice/Charles group if he wasn't a rookie)

10b. Doug Martin (would be in the McCoy/Lynch group if he wasn't a rookie)

Edited by oochymp

Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson were the only players with more yards from scrimmage this year than Doug Martin, yet he is missing from nearly every list on here for simply being a rookie.

lol

My list has changed quite a bit in one year. I had Arian Foster as the undisputed #1 a season ago and he has seen quite the fall.

Speaking of falling, Matt Forte has completely dropped out of my top 10. He's been dealing with nagging injuries (although still playing).. but he didn't exhibit the same explosive qualities I saw last year. Maybe that is to no fault of his own, with a terrible QB, line, and offense in general... But, it is what it is. Also hurt him that by my book, three backs (including a pair of rooks) had breakout type seasons.

Biggest jump from last year has to be CJ Spiller. I've said this before, so I apologize... But it really looks like he is a different person. I only watched 3 or 4 Bills games this year I guess so maybe it was just a coincidence. But you take that runner I saw against the same guy but from a year or two ago? The difference is just beyond amazing.

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Jamaal Charles

3. Ray Rice

4. LeSean McCoy

5. Marshawn Lynch

6. Arian Foster

7. CJ Spiller

8. Alfred Morris

9. Doug Martin

10. Frank Gore

11. Matt Forte

12. Steven Jackson

13. Ahmad Bradshaw

14. Stevan Ridley

15. Trent Richardson

Edited by Favre4Ever

Most times appeared in Top 10: ( 10 lists)

Adrian Peterson: 10

Ray Rice: 10

Marshawn Lynch: 10

Arian Foster: 10

Jamaal Charles: 10

C.J. Spiller: 10

LeSean McCoy: 8

Alfred Morris: 8

Maurice Jones-Drew: 6

Frank Gore: 4

Darren McFadden: 4

Doug Martin: 4

Matt Forte: 3

Chris Johnson: 2

Stevan Ridley: 1

Edited by Bay
  • Upvote 1

1.) Adrian Peterson

2.) LeSean McCoy

3.) Ray Rice

4.) Arian Foster

5.) Jamaal Charles

6.) MJD

7.) Marshawn Lynch

8.) CJ Spiller

9.) Doug Martin

10.) Alfred Morris

Maybe it's because I'm a homer, but LeSean McCoy is 2nd on my list. Andy Reid used McCoy so poorly last year and when he had the chance to use him right, he was too busy dropping back and passing 50 times a game. That and every starter on the offensive line but one ended up either benched or on IR. Watching the guy on the field though he was just as explosive as ever. I think he's going to beast it up again.

• Upvote 1

Most times appeared in Top 10: ( 9 lists)

LeSean McCoy: 7

somehow I forgot McCoy, oops, that problem is now corrected

somehow I forgot McCoy, oops, that problem is now corrected

I forgot to add him so i took out Run DMC for him.

Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson were the only players with more yards from scrimmage this year than Doug Martin, yet he is missing from nearly every list on here for simply being a rookie.

lol

for top ten lists I don't just look at the most recent season, body of work plays into it as well, so I will almost always put an established veteran over a rookie, there have just been too many one year wonders

I forgot to add him so i took out Run DMC for him.

I cheated and called the rookies 10a and 10b :p

Edited by oochymp

1. Adrian Peterson: A.P is the best RB in the league by far. Imo, he's been the best RB in the league since 2007 game 9 against the Chargers setting the single game rushing record dethroning L.T as the current best RB in the league. We've never witnessed a RB do what he did before after an injury like that. Think we are watching history; the best RB to ever play the game in the making. We've never seen a RB with the combination of his size, strength, speed, and agility. Wanna know why? Because A.P is a fucking machine! For more of my man love for A.P http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62563-peyton-manning-or-adrian-peterson-for-cpoy/page__st__40 Post # 50.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2012-elite-performers/0ap2000000114016/2012-Best-of-Adrian-Peterson

2. LeSean McCoy: Call me a homer but Shady is the 2nd best RB in the NFL imo. Easily the most elusive RB in the game. Great vision and amazing agility being able to cut on the dime leaving defenders stuck; the closest thing to Barry Sanders. Decimated by O-line injuries, his own injuries and a coach that didn't know how to utilize his talents. Shady was really the only bright spot on our offense this year surrounded by a muck of shit.

3. Jamaal Charles: Jamaal Charles stepped up huge on my list. The reason why is because he gets the most out of his carries. His average yards per carry is staggering in his last 3 healthy seasons; especially the record he set in 2010. Home run back right here.

4. Ray Rice: Another great back. A great runner and one of the best receiving RB in the league. He could be greater then what he is but he is also under utilized.

5. Marshawn Lynch: Beast mode pounded his way into my top 5 this year. He is by far the toughest and most physical ground and pound runner in the league. Straight beast mode!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2012-elite-performers/0ap2000000120359/2012-Best-of-Marshawn-Lynch

6. Arian Foster: Arian has been easily a top 5 pick for the last 2-3 years. He was a straight workhorse this year with 351 attempts. His numbers are up there but he was no where as explosive as he's been the last couple of years. A lot of short yardage gains but did manage to move the chains. His average was also kinda low and he has the best offensive line in the league (3 pro bowlers) with that zone block run scheme.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2012-elite-performers/0ap2000000124286/2012-Best-of-Arian-Foster

7. Chris Johnson: People tend to forget / ride off C.J. He is still a top RB in this league. Five consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. His body of work speaks for itself. I just like some of the attributes of the other RBs more. If I want a speedster, I'd have to go with Jamaal Charles.

8. Frank Gore: The inconvenient troop. One of the toughest and slightly under rated / over looked RBs in the league. He always plays hard and still does his thing. One of the more consistent vets in this league.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2012-elite-performers/0ap2000000124404/2012-Best-of-Frank-Gore

9.Alfred Morris: I usually don't include rookies on my list but it's no way that A.M could be left off this list. He took the league by storm averaging over 100 yards a game. He's a very strong physical down hill runner and has some shifty short cut moves to go along with his physicality as well. He was apart of the #1 rushing attack in the league. You can't leave that out.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2012-elite-performers/0ap2000000122077/2012-Best-of-Alfred-Morris

10. C.J Spiller: Definitely the most improved RB of the year. His progression was exciting to watch. He seemed to be a different player. Curious to see if he's going to keep it up next year.

Edited by dutchff7

Holy shit, Alfred Morris is either getting ridiculously overrated or Doug Martin is not getting enough respect.

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Lesean McCoy

3. Ray Rice

4. Arian Foster

5. Jamaal Charles

6. MJD

7. Marshawn Lynch

8. CJ Spiller

9. Doug Martin

10. Matt Forte

Alfred Morris > Doug Martin.

I prefer a guy who is great almost every week over a guy who is absolutely spectacular but only for a month of the season.

EDIT

After some serious thought, I moved Marshawn Lynch from 4 to 5 and LeSean McCoy from 5 to 4 on my list. Just a note so that nobody gets all crazy and thinks they are being smart after realizing I changed my list. lol

Edited by Favre4Ever

Guys at the top 10 of RB watch over the past two seasons, measuring pure running ability:

2012:

1. Adrian Peterson 1453

2. Marshawn Lynch 1006

3. Alfred Morris 994

4. Jamaal Charles 944

5. Doug Martin 877

6. CJ Spiller 856

7. Arian Foster 802

8. Frank Gore 736

9. Stevan Ridley 735

10. Chris Johnson 712

2011:

1. Maurice Jones-Drew 953

2. LeSean McCoy 862

3. Ray Rice 844

4. Michael Turner 789

5. Willis McGahee 710

6. Arian Foster 703

7. Marshawn Lynch 691

8. Frank Gore 685

9. Reggie Bush 670

10. Ryan Mathews 658

The only names that stay consistently on this list were Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, and Frank Gore. Injuries affected Jamaal Charles, Willis McGahee, Adrian Peterson, MJD and LeSean McCoy from potentially making repeat appearances on the list.

I feel like Adrian Peterson earned his number 1 spot this season, it was arguable before with guys like MJD and Ray Rice, but he had a beastly season this year, one that earns respect.

The rest of my list looks like:

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Jamaal Charles (incredibly explosive and serviceable in the passing game.)

3. CJ Spiller (Most explosive back in football, needs more carries though.)

4. Maurice Jones-Drew (he was hurt most of the year, but the Jags need him)

5. Ray Rice (His running ability wasn't on display as much this year, but as a receiver he's the best around)

6. Marshawn Lynch (may just be a pure runner, but he runs over everything.)

7. Arian Foster (There's a lot to be said of a workhorse back. Carries are almost as important as efficiency in some cases, and the Texans can ride Foster till he breaks.)

8. Frank Gore (Again, just a reliable workhorse. He's finding a way to improve as his career goes on.)

9. Doug Martin (he's gonna be a great 3rd down back, he found a way to fix his drops problem early in the season and had a great season running as well.)

10. LeSean McCoy (He's still the Eagles best weapon on offense, maybe a new coach means he'll get some more useful carries)

Sirs not making the list:

Alfred Morris: (ZBS back, fumbles a bit too often and doesn't participate in the pass game as much, but his season was amazing, and another like that would go a long way in showing his consistency.)

Matt Forte: (His offensive line holds him back, but he just wasn't as visible this year, I barely noticed him most Chicago games.)

Chris Johnson: (Still a one trick pony who doesn't trust his line, incredibly inconsistent, but good Chris Johnson is near the top. Bad Chris Johnson is the worst back in football.)

Stevan Ridley: Good year, surprisingly so. Petered out near the end and fumbled enough to get on BB's bad side. Showing some improvement in that area and becoming a better 3rd down guy would go a long way.