Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Rumors of Jon Gruden wanting the Eagles HC gig

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/1/7/3848766/philadelphia-eagles-coaching-rumors-jaws-says-jon-gruden-is-interested

The Eagles have received permission to interview Jay Gruden this week, but it may be his more famous and successful older brother that wants the job.

Ron Jaworski, who used to work in the Monday Night Football booth with Jon Gruden, says he's spoke with the Super Bowl winning coach and he would be interested in the Eagles head coaching job. However, Jaws said that so far the Eagles haven't reached out to him.

Back in November, Gruden's agent said that he was "committed to ESPN," with the obvious implication being that he wasn't interested in returning to coaching. However, his agent said that in response to AD at Tennessee, who was doing due diligence on him as a potential coach of the Vols.

Does that mean Gruden doesn't want an NFL gig either? At least according to Jaws, he would be interested.

Question is, should the interest be mutual?

We know Gruden's resume. He helped coach the Oakland Raiders into a Super Bowl contender, then went to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and won one with them. It was mostly diminishing returns from that point on, but the guy still has a .540 winning percentage as a coach and is 5-4 in the playoffs.

He's got the proven track record that none of the other candidates have, but he does he have their upside? Is he still hungry like those guys might be? Gruden hasn't been entirely away from the game, but he hasn't been in the trenches like a Mike McCoy or Gus Bradley have been.

I think he would be a popular hire, but I question whether he'd ultimately be a smart hire. That said, given the choice between Grudens? Give me Jon.

I said earlier this year that Jon Gruden would try and come out for this job. I should have known it the way he was slobbering over Nick Foles lol.

Stop, stop, stop. Names like Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, and Brian Billick are only being floated in coaching rumors by the most unintelligent of football fans and the reliably awful ESPN. In a year with so many coaches fired, how many interviews have all three of them gotten combined? Zero. None of them are coming back, and none of them ever should come back.

Stop, stop, stop. Names like Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, and Brian Billick are only being floated in coaching rumors by the most unintelligent of football fans and the reliably awful ESPN. In a year with so many coaches fired, how many interviews have all three of them gotten combined? Zero. None of them are coming back, and none of them ever should come back.

As far as them having zero interviews, Gruden and Billick said they would only come back if it was the right situation; a salvageable situation. This source also is not from unintelligent football fans, it's from Ron Jaworski. I don't know the man personally, just watched and listen to him in the booth with Gruden but idk if he'd be throwing Grudens name out there in rumors after saying he spoke with him. At the end of the day who knows but I don't see a reason stop or downplay any football news even if it does or does not come true.

Edited by dutchff7

This source also is not from unintelligent football fans, it's from Ron Jaworski.

tumblr_m4kqu3pzNn1r9dbnw.jpg

This source also is not from unintelligent football fans, it's from Ron Jaworski.

Unintelligent wouldn't quite be the term for this situation seeing as though no smarts are involved. So in other words, Jaws is lying then?

Edited by dutchff7

I was just trying to make a funny about Jaws.

Ultimately, it's the 21st century. Analysts and journalists speculate in the name of reporting and publish anything before getting a second source. I don't give anything I read credibility until it's been double confirmed, or if Adam Schefter says it's true.

Edited by SteVo

I was just trying to make a funny about Jaws.

Ultimately, it's the 21st century. Analysts and journalists speculate in the name of reporting and publish anything before getting a second source. I don't give anything I read credibility until it's been double confirmed, or if Adam Schefter says it's true.

True, in the mean time it gives us something to talk and theorize about. No reason to stop that.

Edited by dutchff7

I don't want Gruden. Either one, really. I was intrigued by Jay Gruden, but I don't think he's right for the Eagles. Jon Gruden is good at what he does, and I honestly think he likes doing it.

I think he probably does want to get back into coaching, but could be scared that he'll suck and everyone will (officially) know he was a fraud that won with Dungy's team then proceeded to drive them into the ground.

Apparently, Dick Vermeil thinks Jon Gruden is the best candidate for the Eagles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124382/article/dick-vermeil-jon-gruden-best-choice-to-coach-eagles

Jon Gruden might be happier calling "Monday Night Football" games on ESPN, but he remains a figure of interest in this year's head-coaching derby.

NFL Honors

Vote for the top 10 plays of the 2012 season. More ...

The Philadelphia Eagles have cast a wide net in search of their next coach. One of their former coaches, Dick Vermeil, says it's clear where the Eagles should go.

"My choice would be Jon Gruden," Vermeil told WIP-FM on Tuesday, via Philly.com. "... I just think he's a helluva of football coach, and I don't want him to make the mistake I made, to wait too long to go back. I just think he's a helluva football coach and a great personality."

Much of the talk surrounding Gruden's potential return to the game appears to be chatter coming from his own people. Agent-driven whispers are nothing new, but ESPN's Ron Jaworski is a different story. He said earlier this week that Gruden has taken "numerous meetings" and "told teams he's not interested in certain jobs."

Coaching search tracker

Gregg Rosenthal provides a one-stop shop for all the latest head-coaching search news. Who are teams targeting? More ...

Vermeil believes he knows how to heighten Gruden's interest in the Eagles.

"I'd do more than ask," Vermeil said. "You know what I'd do? I'd get in a bus and take the bank with me."

It's clear Gruden seeks the ideal scenario -- top-tier quarterback, plenty of power, plenty of money -- but most teams looking for coaches can't or won't offer that. For now, Chucky's staying put.

Mike Mayock also sounds off about Jon Gruden and the Eagles being a good fit.

Jon Gruden is "the most obvious guy out there" according to Mike Mayock

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/1/11/3864474/eagles-coaching-rumors-jon-gruden-is-the-most-obvious-guy-out-there

For more news and rumors on the Eagles search for a new head coach, check out our coaching search hub.

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

If it was up to media types to hire a new Eagles coach, the preferred candidate is one of their own. Monday night football host (and former Super Bowl winning coach) Jon Gruden.

He's already been endorsed by Ron Jaworski this week and is the preferred choice of Dick Vermeil (not a media guy as such, but was just serving as a commentator).

Yesterday, NFL Network's Mike Mayock was on Brian Baldinger's show on 97.5 The Fanatic and when Baldy asked who Mayock's coach would be, the two proceeded to have a Chucky lovefest.

"I would probably be inclined to agree with my buddy Dick Vermeil," said Mayock. "I think you load up the truck, and you get in it with a bunch of money and you drive down and find Jon Gruden at the fired football coaches association of America.

Brian Baldinger jumped in to say he agreed.

"Thank you. I've been saying this for 2 weeks now. Stop the search! I realize that this is probably a necessary process, but there's a guy out there that has the proven track record that everybody wants. And I don't think you can underscore this. He's sat in this production meetings and picked the brains of the best coaches and coordinators and all of the innovative ideas... and he's figuring all the trends, all his weaknesses and how to incorporate these things. I don't think there's anyone more ready to jump back in than Jon."

Mayock agreed.

"And he's also flown in some of the best coaches in college football to suck them dry of information on these spread offenses that college are using," he said. "He's had Chip Kelly in there, he's had every major spread offense guy down there watching tape til 4am then playing golf. There's no one more ready to jump in than him."

"The one thing I think he'd have a concern with," Mayock continued, "is he's probably tired of manufacturing QB play. He's going to either want a QB on his roster that he believes in or have the ability draft a franchise QB. And I think he's also intrigued with the spread offense and I don't think Michael Vick is the answer with all the injuries... and if you're going to run some zone reads and that stuff, I don't think Nick Foles is the answer either."

"I think he's ready to go, he's current on the game, he’s gonna cost you a lot of money, but if I’m the Eagles, I’m camped outside his office because I wanna have a conversation."

I spoke on my interest in Jon Gruden in the preseason before Reid got fired. I still feel the same. Others disagreed with the idea but he's a coach / person that I've always liked. I wouldn't mind Gruden at all.