Sign in to follow this  
SilverEagle5

Who should the Eagles hire?

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Eagles head coach?

• Bruce Arians
    • Gus Bradley
    • Jay Gruden
    • Mike McCoy
    • Someone Else
    • Lovie Smith
    • Brian Kelly

Who should the Eagles hire? I may be (and probably am) forgetting a name that's been thrown around, so if there's an obvious choice to add, let me know.

If you pick the "Someone Else" option, give a name.

I'm a huge fan of Gus Bradley. I think he would be a great hire who would bring a new, fresh attitude to the team, which is greatly needed. If he can bring in an OC who can help Foles develop, I would be ecstatic with the hire. I'd also be happy with McCoy. I'd like to see what he can do with Foles.

Edit:

Lovie Smith added

Edited by SilverEagle5

Even if he says he is not really interested, I think it would be foolish of the Eagles to not do everythign they can to lure Jon Gurden back to the sidelines.

I'm fine with any of these names besides Bruce Arians. As our resident Steelers fans will remind you, he was a horrible offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh, and as I've said in the shoutbox, I don't think he has the success he had in Indianapolis this year without Chuck Pagano's leukemia diagnosis. I know that may sound insensitive, but the reality is that team was playing inspired football.

Mike McCoy and Gus Bradley are strong candidates from an X's and O's standpoint, but for a head coaching position, it all comes down to leadership. Can you get the guys in the locker room to believe in your philosophy, and can you make that philosophy successful? I have faith that the Eagles, through the interview process, will find the right guy.

• Upvote 1

Out of all the coaching candidates, I'm really leaning towards Mike McCoy. I want an offensive mind to help develop a Nick Foles who I believe can be a starter in this league. I think the best person to tap into that untapped potential is Mike McCoy. Mike McCoy has shown adaptability. To have a Kyle Orton and then go to a Tim Tebow with different (opposite) skill set and draw up a game plan to still make it to the play offs and WIN a play off game; with TIM TEBOW... Hats off. That had to be some DRASTIC changes in the game plan and shows his diversity in his (offensive) coaching capabilities. He has been under Josh McDaniels who is one of the better OC's in the league. Also a year with Peyton (smartest QB to ever play the game) doesn't hurt. So he's been around some great talent in coaches and players. Not a bad learning tree. With the weapons that we do have on offense, LeSean McCoy, DeSean Jackson, a play maker in Brent Celek (if he can be more consistent at times), if Nick Foles matures and progresses into a starting NFL QB, I can see our offense being dangerous once again. This is an offensive league; passing in particular. If you look at the last couple of Super Bowl winners, they have all had top notch offenses: Giants (in the play offs accompanied by a dominant D-line), Packers and Saints. We need to turn our offense into a big play offense while we have the weapons. Even with this said, while defense is said to win Super Bowls, the last six teams to win Super bowls, their QBs have been mentioned in the elite category.

If we don't go offensive, I'd want Mike Nolan or Gus Bradley. Done more research on Gus Bradley lately and I think I may have become a fan.

Doubt that we get Luvie Smith.

Earlier I mentioned Jay Gruden. After that play off game, I took a real close look into the Bengals the last two seasons. Even though they made the play offs, a good portion of it is because of that defense (D-line). While Dalton to A.J Green has become the best dynamic duo in the 1st two years of any QB and WR, I think it's more so credited to A.J Green being so awesome. Still a little questionable with Dalton. Not writing him off though.

I would hire Bradley, been saying it forever. Bradley is a guy who would keep the 4-3 in place which I would like because I think we still have a lot of really good pieces in the front seven. If Bradley can come in and find the secondary talent he did in Seattle I think the Eagles could have a pretty dominant defense. Offensively I think he'd bring a run first philosophy which would fit our o line better and it would also put the ball in our best play makers hand but would in turn make guys like Jackson and Maclin better while making life for Foles or whatever likely young QB is starting.

I voted for McCoy. I really like what he did in Denver, especially the year before when he had fucking Tim Tebow at QB. Like dutch touched on, I think the Eagles should go grab an offensive minded coach to help develop Foles. I really think he can be the guy as long as the o-line is improved.

I think the one thing to be worried about with Lovie is that in a lot of ways he can be just a defensive version of Andy Reid.

You'd hope he'd change a little, but he didn't seem to care all that, if at all about the success of the offense.

Lovie Smith is easily the best coach on the market. Chicago is stupid for firing him.

I think the one thing to be worried about with Lovie is that in a lot of ways he can be just a defensive version of Andy Reid.

You'd hope he'd change a little, but he didn't seem to care all that, if at all about the success of the offense.

He traded for Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall. He's obviously not an offensive genius, but he tried to get the players his offensive coordinators wanted. He'll just need to surround himself with a better OC, I guess.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

I think Lovie Smith would be a good choice. Gus Bradley probably as well.

However... I am feeling the Bruce Arians train gaining momentum...

I'm fine with any of these names besides Bruce Arians. As our resident Steelers fans will remind you, he was a horrible offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh, and as I've said in the shoutbox, I don't think he has the success he had in Indianapolis this year without Chuck Pagano's leukemia diagnosis. I know that may sound insensitive, but the reality is that team was playing inspired football.

I completely agree with this.

If the Eagles are looking to get an offensive minded guy, I think they should look at McCoy or Gruden. I think hiring Arians would be a big mistake.

He traded for Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall. He's obviously not an offensive genius, but he tried to get the players his offensive coordinators wanted. He'll just need to surround himself with a better OC, I guess.

That's the question that I think has to be asked... Can he surround himself with a better OC?

He's the one hiring the OCs -at least all the ones that were hired while he was tenured with the Bears. And while the Bears did make moves to obtain offensive talent, it never seemed like he himself was ever involved in it.

Are the Eagles in a position where they could have a HC who may just have the mindset that as long as the offense doesn't lose you the game, they are "good enough"?

Plus, do the Eagles have the personal to run a tampa 2 if he came to town? IDK about that...

Some of the problem with Lovie and his offense is that Jay Cutler just makes really poor decisions. I really think their offenses were better with Kyle Orton. lol. And you can't change OCs every single year and expect an offense to magically appear.

I don't want Arians. I want Mike McCoy or Mike Nolan. Lovie is a great defensive minded coach. He was a good linebackers coach in Tampa and a great DC with the Rams significantly improving their defense. Everyone knows what he did with the Bears defensively. Lovie was handicapped on the offensive side of the ball having Rex Grossman at QB and the inconsistencies of Jay Cutler. I would want Lovie if we had a good OC to compliment him. I'm also getting interested in Gus Bradley. I wish Josh Mcdaniels was on the market...

Edited by dutchff7

Not sure how I'd feel about Kelly, but my gut reaction was "Do not want." :nope:

He does know how to find talent. He's turned around just about every program he's been at, and what he did with ND in such a short time was pretty amazing. Perennial school or not, I really thought they'd still be in the shitters.

Stay away from Mccoy! :mad:

I think we don't lose him, but he is a great coach that has earned his chance.

From what I'm hearing from Philly beat writers, McCoy won't be the guy because he wasn't that impressive in his interview. He might be one of those guys who's a great coordinator but not head coach material.

From what I'm hearing from Philly beat writers, McCoy won't be the guy because he wasn't that impressive in his interview. He might be one of those guys who's a great coordinator but not head coach material.

You have a link? That would suck because I really like McCoy but there is a huge difference between being a coordinator and being a HC. So if they felt as though he wasn't the right guy, then on to the next one. Guess some of the other candidates I'm interested in is Gus Bradley, Mike Nolan and Lovie Smith(if he is accompanied by a good OC). I've done A LOT of research on Gus Bradley in the last week or so and I became a fan. This is an exciting process for our organization at this time imo. I don't mind the Eagles being careful and taking their time atm. More concerned with them picking the right guy. Just as long as they don't take too long and all the good candidates are gone.

Edited by dutchff7

Bradley leaves philly after his 2nd interview. While I do like Gus and he seems to be the best candidate, I'm going to put faith in our organization to make the best decision for our franchise. They are being very selective and after having a head coach for 14 years, I'm glad they are being careful and trying to hire the best guy for us; the right guy. I believe our organization is waiting for a reason so I'm going to trust (pray) that they make the right move. Rumors are we may have a head coach by the end of the day. We are running out of candidates but maybe the best fit for us isn't a big time name. Who knows.