Dutch

Break out players

Who are your Five break out players for this season? Who stepped their game up and deserves recognition for their game play. Your list can also have break out rookies.

Dez Bryant :Cowboys:- I have to put Dez on my list (:puke:). The 2nd half of the season, this dude was just unstoppable and becoming the play maker that everyone know he had the potential to be. He was one of the most electrifying receivers in the league during this time period and was a TD machine. Straight dominance.

Stevie Brown :Giants:- I love unknown players who have zero expectations and break out and have seasons like this. Stevie Brown was playing some of the best safety in all football and was a straight up ball hawk. Curious to see if he will be a one year wonder or continue his ascent to football stardom.

Marshawn Lynch :Seahawks:- While Lynch is already a star in this league, he broke out into a different stratosphere of super stardom this year. He was a straight beast this year and is one of the best if not the best ground and pound tough physical runners in the league. I think he pounded his way into the discussion of possibly being a top 5 RB :ninja:.

Michael Crabtree :49ers:- While there are other players who had bigger seasons this Crabtree, I have to give him props for stepping in his own shoes and begin being the player that I knew he was capable of being. I've always liked Crabtree and was disappointed in his 1st three under achieving seasons. His chemistry with Kaepernick was almost electric and you saw instant results in production; way better duo then Smith and Crabtree. Glad to see that he's being the receiver who I thought he was.

Luke Kuechly :panthers: There are tons of break out rookies but I'm going to go with one a little less under the radar then though flashy QBs. I love everything about Luke Kuechly. He is a straight up tackling machine. I love his physicality and the way he attacks the ball. He led the league in tackles in his rookie year and deserves defensive rookie of the year without a question in my mind. I remember they were saying the Eagles were eyeing him on the draft and I was hoping that he fell to our pick. Don't get me wrong, I'm more then satisfied with Fletcher Cox. I just love his style of play. Plays the game with so much energy and his tackling techniques are superb. He will be a GREAT super star LB in this league for a long time.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with all the guys you have. Dez and Crabtree were actually the first 2 guys that came to my mind when I saw the thread. I'll add some more.

Demaryius Thomas :Broncos:

Tim Jennings :Bears:

JJ Watt :Texans:

Daryl Washington :Cardinals:

DeMeco Ryans (going back to the 4-3 helped him a lot) :Eagles:

Edited by ICum4Falcons

+1 on Crabtree.

:offense:

C.J. Spiller is the first names that comes to mind.

Stevan Ridley

Dennis Pitta

Cecil Shorts III

Demariyus Thomas

Brandon Myers

Martellus Bennett

Dez Bryant

James Jones

Kyle Rudolph

Julio Jones

Matt Ryan

Michael Crabtree

Anthony Davis

Golden Tate

Defense later, lol.

Edited by Bay

Zach Brown, i know he was a rookie but i think he will breakout even more next year. 93 tackles, 5.5 sacks 3 int , two of them pick sixes.

I would name obvious players such as Dez Bryant and company but yall already listed them.

+1 on Crabtree.

:offense:

C.J. Spiller is the first names that comes to mind.

Stevan Ridley

Dennis Pitta

Cecil Shorts III

Demariyus Thomas

Brandon Myers

Martellus Bennett

Dez Bryant

James Jones

Kyle Rudolph

Julio Jones

Matt Ryan

Michael Crabtree

Anthony Davis

Golden Tate

Defense later, lol.

Good list for the most part Bay.

I forgot about C.J Spiller. I had a lot of other choices but didn't want to name all of them so other people could put their choices up as well. Should have limited it to 5 players.

• Upvote 1

Good list for the most part Bay.

Thanks.

I couldn't limit it to Five, dutch.

Too many names that deserve recognition.

Danario Alexander,Wesley Woodyard and Muhammad Wilkerson.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't limit it to Five, dutch.

Too many names that deserve recognition.

Indeed it is but that makes it that much more of a challenge. I could have probably named about 3/4 of the names everyone would put on their list in my 1st post but where's the fun in that? Wanted to leave names for other people as well. Nonetheless, good list though.

Edited by dutchff7

Good call on Stevie Brown... I was gonna be all, muahahaha! I know someone yall don't!!! But nah. You got him covered.

But is it really fair to have rookies in this topic? Especially one that was drafted in the top 10?

Good call on Stevie Brown... I was gonna be all, muahahaha! I know someone yall don't!!! But nah. You got him covered.

But is it really fair to have rookies in this topic? Especially one that was drafted in the top 10?

Ofcourse. Bust come out of the top 10 draft picks all the time.

I'll do teams I don't think have been done yet.

:Browns: Imma go the non-obvious route on this one and say Mitchell Schwartz. Guy has been playing really well this season.

:jags: Paul Posluszny Not really "break out" in a sense as he had some good seasons with Buffalo and a few injuries here and there. Has had another good season with the Jags.

:Raiders: Phillip Wheeler. He has really seized the opportunity provided by McClains' absence.

:dolphins: Again not another "break out" guy but Randy Starks has really benefited from the switch to the 4-3

:Rams: Robert Quinn.Arguably the best player on that defense which is saying something.

:Bucs: Gerald McCoy, Has turned into a top 5 DT, last year he had some injuries and inconsitency...but this guy became a man this year.

:Falcons: Matt Ryan, a few playoff victories away from becoming an elite QB. If it weren't for a 5 INT performance against the Cardinals and a 4 INT performance vs the Raiders, he would've had an elite type year.

William Moore, Thomas DeCoud, Julio Jones, and Kroy Biermann also get honorable mentions.

:Ravens: Paul Kruger, with multiple injuries on the defensive side of the ball for the Ravens, Kruger really took the opportunity to let it be known that he's becoming a outside backer to fear.

:Packers: Randall Cobb and James Jones, most Packers fans knew of their potential last season, but this year, both absolutely went off for the Pack. Having great years and Cobb becoming a favorite on that offense.

Too many, lots of great stuff from rising performers in the NFL this past year.

Chris Givens - :Rams:

T.Y Hilton - :Colts: I love watching T.Y Hilton play. I think he's going to shred teams this year.

Fletcher Cox - :Eagles: Cox is a beast. He had a very under the radar but very good rookie year. I think he builds on that.

Damaris Johnson - :Eagles: I think his role on offense will increase and will do well but I definitely believe he's going to be a special teams stud. He's been killing it on punt returns. I'm calling at least two TDs this season.

Jordan Cameron - :Browns:

Demarco Murray - :Cowboys: The only thing that has stopped Murray from breaking out is injuries. He's a beast.

Steven Jackson - :Falcons: I think he will explode this year.

Stephen Gilmore - :Bills: Very quiet and under the radar rookie season. Definitely underrated and had a great season. I like him a lot.

I think Cortez Allen is going to do an amazing job as our #2 CB.

The following Chargers stand solid chances of having breakout seasons:

-Kendall Reyes: Great rookie year and improvement is expected in year 2.

-Cam Thomas: Had developed for years a good role player; finally has the starting job.

-Marcus Gilchrist: New staff has hinted that he's been miscast at corner, now starting at strong safety.

-Shareece Wright: Most talented corner on the team now gets his chance.

-Chad Rinehart: Stuck behind entrenched starters in Buffalo; finally gets his shot.

-Ladarius Green: Uber talented TE who has had a great camp/preseason so far.

-Vincent Brown: Looked poised for big year in 2012 but was hurt.

-Ryan Mathews: He's been running more confidently behind better blocking in preseason.

It would be nice for them all to have great break out seasons, but that seems unlikely. Hopefully many will, and some probably will not.

Off the top of my head on other teams:

-Michael Brockers: Came into the league younger than most rookies and dealt with some injury problems, but he flashed some serious ability. Could wreck some interior offensive lines this season.

-Charles Brown: It has taken Brown a long time to claim the starting LT job in New Orleans. But he looked the part coming into the league and is in an offense that goes easy on the position.

-Adrian Clayborn: Pretty nasty pass rusher in his rookie season- I think he comes back strong this year for Tampa.

-Jonathan Martin: There has been a lot of scrutiny sent his way this offseason, but I think Martin will adjust to the league in his second season and have a fine year.

-Stephon Gilmore: Two words: shutdown corner.

-Leonard Hankerson: Big play receiver who I think is due to find some consistency.

-Brandon Graham: If you don't consider him "broken out" yet, then prepare for the break out.

-Kelechi Osemele: I think he'll be dominant as a full time guard.

-Michael Huff: Stud FS who finally gets to play his natural position- and in a defense vastly superior to the one he's been in recently to boot.

-Desmond Bryant: Great fit for Ray Horton's defense.

-David DeCastro: Shades of Alan Faneca.

-Mohamed Sanu: I think he'll be a great possession target in the Bengal offense. Lots of receiving options could limit his catch numbers, but still.

-Shea McClellin: Pass rush ability was obvious coming out of college. Maybe not a great fit as a full time 4-3 DE so we'll see if they use him better this year.

• Upvote 1

I think maybe my definition of breakout player is different from everyone else's in this thread. Lots of names of guys who have already broke out, IMO.

Michael Crabtree had a FANTASTIC season last year. After looking like a semi-bust, he really put it all together last season.

Marshawn Lynch? Damaryius Thomas, who had 1400 yards and 10 TDs in 2012, is going to break out this year? JJ Watt? CJ Spiller who was a Top 5+ RB a year ago?

Whaaaaaat.

I am not going to argue that these guys will have great seasons, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "breakout" season.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

I think maybe my definition of breakout player is different from everyone else's in this thread. Lots of names of guys who have already broke out, IMO.

Michael Crabtree had a FANTASTIC season last year. After looking like a semi-bust, he really put it all together last season.

Marshawn Lynch? Damaryius Thomas, who had 1400 yards and 10 TDs in 2012, is going to break out this year? JJ Watt? CJ Spiller who was a Top 5+ RB a year ago?

Whaaaaaat.

I am not going to argue that these guys will have great seasons, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "breakout" season.

I agree. Not worth debating, but a "breakout" candidate to me is a guy who hasn't already eastablished himself as a really good NFL player.

I forgot one though: Nick Perry. That dude is explosive and powerful. Maybe not as flexible as you would like, but I think Green Bay will finally have a reasonable compliment to Matthews.

Edited by KempBolt

Ehhh, I am not so sure on Perry -- but I pray you are right. lol

Vinny Curry, if he gets some playing time, which he will is going to be absolutely dominant this year.

Curry has looked great this pre season. I give negative fucks about preseason and haven't really seen much of the even the Lions play... But I've seen replays of Eagles games and he's looked really good.

Cecil Shorts III - Jaguars WR

Markus Wheaton - Steelers WR

TAke it to the bank.