Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Rob Ryan out of Dallas

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124015/article/rob-ryan-dallas-cowboys-parting-ways

Rob Ryan's time is up with the Dallas Cowboys.

Fox Sports Insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported late Tuesday that Ryan and the Cowboys have parted ways after two seasons. Ryan had one year remaining on his contract.

Ryan later confirmed his dismissal to ESPN's Tim McMahon.

Harrison: Power Rankings

How do the eight remaining teams stack up against each other? Elliot Harrison updates his weekly pecking order. More ...

"I'll be out of work for like 5 minutes," he said in the most Ryan-y comment on being fired possible.

Changes were coming in Big D following a second straight season that ended with a bitter Week 17 loss to a division rival. After a silent week, the Cowboys began to make noise with Monday's news that running backs coach Skip Peete had been fired.

Tuesday was Ryan's turn. With his long silver hair and brash attitude, Ryan often found himself in the headlines. But the Cowboys were a middling unit in both his seasons with the team, finishing 14th in total defense in 2011 and 19th this season.

Jason Garrett said last week that Ryan "did a really good job managing" a Cowboys defense besieged by injuries this season, but the coach declined to confirm Ryan would be back. Now we know why.

Ryan's future might not be as safely mapped out as he believes, at least if he's looking for a lateral move. It's hard to ignore that none of Ryan's teams have posted a winning record in his nine years as a defensive coordinator. Then again, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan could always add a new attraction to the circus by clearing room for his twin brother.

There aren't enough beat writers in the world to handle that terrifying reality.

Rob Ryan gets fired but Jason Garrett keeps his job lol

Edited by dutchff7

I really didn't see this coming! The move makes no sense to me. Dmac may have just hit it right there.

Scapegoat-BP01-EN-SFR-1E.png

:rofl: As soon as my +1 cool down is up, that post is getting tagged.

LMAO.

I guess Jerruh wasn't kidding when he said changes were coming. Too bad this makes no sense though.

Edited by ICum4Falcons

Thanks, Cowboys. We'll take him as HC.

I do think it was somewhat of a good move though if they manage to find a better coach. But I think if they don't get a new OC its just their attempt to make a perceived big move.

But yea... He probably won't be unemployed for long.

This is why the Cowboys suck. But I'm glad they did it. :D

Rob Ryan is a hell of a DC. I envy the team that's able to pick him up. Fail Jerry.

Let's fix the problem by keeping the source of said problem and dumping everyone that isn't.

AWESOME.

One of the worst run franchises in the league. O, how the mighty have fallen.

This has got to be the dumbest/most questionable move in Cowboys history...

Defense had a great season? FIRE THE DC!

Who wants to be Rob was the guy who locked Jerruh out of the locker room?

This is terrible. I really want this to not be real. Not only did he make Dallas' D better, he made them tougher and significantly more fun to watch. What are we gonna do, hire Lovie Smith as a DC? Fuck.

The bottom line in this scenario is this: You shouldn't make a move like this if you can't find a better replacement. I don't think there is one on the market.

This is terrible. I really want this to not be real. Not only did he make Dallas' D better, he made them tougher and significantly more fun to watch. What are we gonna do, hire Lovie Smith as a DC? Fuck.

The bottom line in this scenario is this: You shouldn't make a move like this if you can't find a better replacement. I don't think there is one on the market.

Luvie Smith is going to get a HC job somewhere.

Luvie Smith is going to get a HC job somewhere.

That's exactly my point. Why would he settle?

Somebody explain how this firing is warranted or justified to me?

The D didn't have a great season by any means, they gave up the most yards and points in franchise history, Rob wasn't totally at fault though, personnel was. He was working with hamburger meat as opposed to the steak he started with this year.

Think we're moving to the 4-3 though, so Spencer and Ware can rush the passer every down as opposed to being in coverage most of the time.

Would love Lovie Smith.

Cowboys should have been moved to a 4-3 imo and let Ware wreak havoc on QBs all game. If they did this a few years ago, it's no doubt in my mind Ware would hold the single season sack record.

Guest Phailadelphia

I liked Ryan but everyone is overreacting lol.

I think this is to gear up for a move to a 4-3, not because he was a bad coordinator.

As long as he is out of the NFCE I see no problem with this move by Dallas...though I think that Garrett should be on a very short leash from here on out. If the team falters during the early part of the season next year, he will be out on his ass.