Kaep'tain

What happens to Alex Smith?

If your Harbaugh and Trent Baalke what happens to Alex Smith? Keep in mind he is scheduled to make 8.5 million dollars, which is way too much for a back up QB. He has ties to Norv Turner (lets pretend rumors are true and he ends up in Cleveland) and if Roman leaves to the Jags, he will have ties to that team as well.

I would attempt to trade Alex Smith before April 1st (7.5 million because guaranteed then) he should have a lot of value with a team needy QB. Hopefully we can get somewhere around a 3rd or 4th rounder in return and sign a veteran back up in FA. This is still a risky move because Kaepernick could tank next year and your left wondering what if.

I think the rest of the league realizes that, with that contract, the 49ers don't have a lot of leverage in trade talks, and the most likely scenario is to cut him. However, a lot of teams need a starting quarterback. So it wouldn't be surprising to see someone jump in and offer a mid-round pick before he hits the open market.

Arizona is a good spot for a QB landing. Not saying hes a top QB but he is good enough to win you some games with that defense. Plus you have Fitz out there, and Floyd. If they fix that oline, I could see Arizona flipping the script next year. I don't see the Browns picking him up, Weeden wasn't that bad.

Jags had Gabbert and Henne still, so im not sure he would go there either.

Arizona sticks out the most and what better way to get back at your former team then go to a division rival and win the division?

If the Cards do that, they *must* fix their offensive line. Alex Smith is not a QB that will succeed behind a poor O-line, and the Cards line is absolutely terrible.

If the Cards do that, they *must* fix their offensive line. Alex Smith is not a QB that will succeed behind a poor O-line, and the Cards line is absolutely terrible.

Well, he is more mobile than people realize, but I agree. He'll need at least a somewhat improved OL.

Either a desperate team jumps in with a 4th rounder or we end up cutting him. Which would suck, because I feel sorry for him...hopefully we can trade him away to a half-decent team.

Either a desperate team jumps in with a 4th rounder or we end up cutting him. Which would suck, because I feel sorry for him...hopefully we can trade him away to a half-decent team.

Don't want to see him as a Cardinal... though I'm sure not sure they are ready to give up on Kolb just yet.

The Jets would be a good fit IMO. Give up a 3rd or so for Smith, draft a receiver of some caliber in the first or second round, and see if they can convince a guy like Jennings, Welker or Bowe to jump ship. Trim the fat and the anon talkers and you're looking at a decent team. HB may be an issue but Greene and Powell are serviceable enough, and there are always hungry UDFA's abound.

QB: Alex Smith

HB: Greene/Powell/UFA

FB: Not Lex Hillard

WR: Jennings/Welker/Bowe

WR: Kerley

WR: Maybe Holmes or Edwards, or a high draft pick like Cordarelle Patterson.

TE: Not Jeff Cumberland, they may need to draft a guy.

You still have D'Brick, Mangold and Brandon Moore on the offensive line, maybe some small improvements are needed, but the core is solid.

You add that to playmakers like Muhammad Wilkerson and Darrelle Revis, and you've got a good start. Sanchez really holds a strong team back.

Don't want to see him as a Cardinal... though I'm sure not sure they are ready to give up on Kolb just yet.

I said a half-decent team...so the Cards are out of the picture :p

Oh yeah, lol Cardinals.

Not sure if Jets fan even want him.

Edited by Bay

Would really like to see Alex get a shot at playing somewhere. He really earned it with his play the last year and a half.

I bet the Jets jump on him this off-season. Something tells me that Sanchez won't even be in NY come next season.

A team in desperate need of a QB will overpay for him, he'll "underachieve," and a few years from now he'll be a back-up at best for his third NFL team. I see this guy as the new Matt Cassel. He's riding hype from not fucking up on a team that can obviously win without him. He got benched while having a good year for a kid who never started in the midst of a run at the 2 seed in the NFC. That says it all to me.

The thing about Smith that is different from guys like Cassel and even Kolb though is that he's had two years now of showing great accuracy throwing the football. I won't discount that he's had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, but he has shown some amazing accuracy majority of the time.

I can't see Alex Smith doing well in New York, they have no run game and the receivers are pretty bad too.

Think it would be wiser for him to go to a smaller market.

He won't be a Niner next year, I'm sure he doesn't want to come back. Our franchise has treated him like shit and abused him his whole career (this is the first year that he had the same offensive coordinator since he came in the league). I was thinking either the Jets or Arizona are the two most likely. That being said, I think his career is pretty much over, I don't see him having success anywhere else.

Lets hope Kaepernick can keep his consistency for a couple years.....

I was thinking Jacksonville, but now that Greg Roman is NOT going to be the head coach there, I'm not sure. I still think that would be a great place for him though and it could work out well.

Coach Jim Harbaugh said Wednesday the 49ers will "absolutely" consider what Alex Smith wants when deciding his future with the team.

"Absolutely, and I'm sure many things will factor into that decision," Harbaugh said. "I'm sure that will play out, but he is a starting quarterback. He's got a desire to be a starting quarterback, and I'm sure that will play out." For his part, Smith says the sides have yet to talk about his future. "I'm sure when we get back, there will be plenty of time to sit down with Jim and (the GM) and see what's what." All signs point toward Smith playing elsewhere next season.

Source: NFL.com

Alex Smith says he "loved" playing for new Browns OC Norval Turner during Turner's one-year stint as the 49ers' offensive overseer in 2006.

It's notable since the Browns are one of the team's Smith has been connected to ahead of his expected departure from San Francisco. A league source confirms to the Plain Dealer reuniting with Norv would "pique" Smith's interest. "Loved my time with Norv," Smith said. "He's a great play caller. I just remember he had a great feel for the game on gameday and a great feel for what the defense was doing, (very) QB friendly." At least based on the early hints and rumors, the Browns may top Smith's list of potential suitors.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Ya know, I didn't think about the Browns. I actually think that would be a good fit. They have viable weapons on offense with Trent Richardson, Josh Gordon, and a good O-line. The Browns also have a talented defense as well. They have a ton of draft picks this year and can really capitalize in the draft. Add another receiving option and they could be ready to go; granted the scheme meshes with Smith.

Edited by dutchff7

I don't see the Jets a landing spot for him as they are in cap hell right now.

As to Alex himself, I have wanted to see him successful, but I just dont think he has it in the cards.

If he leaves he will flop imo. Looking at what he had the two years he was a "success" is almost more than any other team can give him. He has an offense curtailed TO HIM. He has the best o line in football, a top 3 TE, a strong run game, and a great defense that asks him to put up 17 points to win.

Looking at any other team he will not find that anywhere. He is going to get a big contract imo and flop ala Kolb, and Cassel. He should just stay in SF and enjoy being a contender.

I don't see the Jets a landing spot for him as they are in cap hell right now.

As to Alex himself, I have wanted to see him successful, but I just dont think he has it in the cards.

If he leaves he will flop imo. Looking at what he had the two years he was a "success" is almost more than any other team can give him. He has an offense curtailed TO HIM. He has the best o line in football, a top 3 TE, a strong run game, and a great defense that asks him to put up 17 points to win.

Looking at any other team he will not find that anywhere. He is going to get a big contract imo and flop ala Kolb, and Cassel. He should just stay in SF and enjoy being a contender.

I have this idea.

An offense that is curtailed to him, yes, that's why he was successful. If the Chiefs shore up their O-line, they almost fit the description you were giving. Almost, because Moeaki is not a top-3 TE, but he is a good one.

The only problem with this is that Andy Reid will ask him to throw the ball 40 times a game even with Jamaal Charles.

• Upvote 1

According to ESPN's Trent Dilfer, new Chiefs coach Andy Reid "courted" Alex Smith last offseason.

"There was a courtship last year, to a certain degree," Dilfer said. "I don't know a whole lot. I just know there was a courtship. It was not even an inside source, you know what I mean? It was just kind of the scuttle in the offseason." Dilfer and Smith are close friends from their days as teammates in 2006-07. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Chiefs were one of the teams already showing interest in Smith. The tea leaves suggest Kansas City is the early favorite to land Smith via trade, likely for a middle-round pick.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Cmon Andy, you know you want to trade that second rounder for him...