SteVo

Eagles hire Chip Kelly

This hire will either be an epic one, or it'll fail hard imo.

1. I wouldn't worry about the whole personal decision thing. Despite what people may believe, even with the sexy uniforms, and having Knight's stadium, rarely has Oregon had a top 20 recruiting class under Kelly and it showed when they faced stronger powerhouse teams. The guy was able to make a lot of work happen with what he got. He knows talent, and probably knows what he wants to get his offense and his defense. I've been on the Oregon bandwagon since he's join (and probably leaving it now that he's no longer there), and I saw him work his magic with whoever he had playing QB, etc.

2. Just because Kelly was hired, it doesn't mean he's going to implement a scheme to make Vick relevant. He has a huge decision to make, but in no way does it automatically mean, he's gonna start.

3. 4. 5th. 6th. 7th. 8th. 9th. 10th. Chip Kelly is an EXTREMELY flexible coach. Just because he has his system, and it works for him, it doesn't mean he's gonna try to come here to the NFL and force it. Like any other great coach, if he evaluates and thinks Nick Foles will be the answer he will adapt his system. I'm sure he will incorporate some zone read packages with a wildcat QB who is a threat to throw, but it'll probably be to get the HB more opertunities, OU's QB didn't run anywhere near as much as one would think, and the staple of his offense is the inside zone read (ZBS), a base play that many NFL teams run already.

11th. 12th. 13th. 14th. 15th. what made Kelly so good was his unique nature and attention to detail. The way he preached his, "Win the day" mantra. That's something that he can do at the next level and be successful. His unique method of maximizing reps in practice by playing as fast as they can and leaving all the coaching for later. These are unique things that enabled Kelly to succeed. I have no doubt he can succeed with whatever personnel he chooses. He's a flexible guy, and he's extremely strategic. There's a reason why coaches in the NFL (BB), NBA teams went to watch his teams practice, the guy knows how to coach. He's no sure fire thing, but nobody is. But of all the coaches that were left to chose from, I'd argue he's the smartest.

Anybody thinks he's going to run a 3-4? Or the Eagles will stay with the 4-3...

I still think people overrated him even in college. People reference him going for it on 4th down but that is one of the biggest gimmicks in his bag imo. He showed his hand versus K state when it came to that shit.

And it is probably a good thing they never met bama in the big dance.

I still think people overrated him even in college. People reference him going for it on 4th down but that is one of the biggest gimmicks in his bag imo. He showed his hand versus K state when it came to that shit.

And it is probably a good thing they never met bama in the big dance.

Well yeah but idt it has to do with his scheme so much as it does the fact that talent Bama is VASTLY superior to any team Kelly has ever fielded.

CSN Philly reports new Eagles coach Chip Kelly is targeting Georgia's Todd Grantham to be his defensive coordinator.

It's a bit out of left field, as Kelly and Grantham have no obvious connection, and Grantham has never coordinated at the NFL level. He was an NFL assistant from 1999-2009, however. He most recently served as the Cowboys DL coach from 2008-09. Grantham runs a 3-4 defense, which means the Eagles would likely be switching from their current 4-3. That's believed to be Kelly's preference regardless of whom he hires.

Source: CSN Philly

Okay, time to process my thoughts a bit...

I stand by my previous feelings towards Kelly at the professional level. I am intrigued about what he can accomplish in the NFL. I think that surrounding him with the right personnel gives him great potential. Obviously the Eagles have a lot of decisions to make now, especially assistant coaches, so we'll see what happens there. Ultimately, though, Kelly always was a boom-or-bust coaching candidate. But, after Jim Johnson died, we were stuck in a spiral of mediocrity with Andy Reid. I'm glad we finally have a coach who is either going to win a Super Bowl or fail miserably, to be honest.

Having said that, I'm absolutely concerned that he has now earned a flip-flop reputation. I think Sean put it nicely when he said, "We're setting ourselves up to get Petrino'd." Of course, the Eagles have to know this as well. It's obvious that he was their #1 guy from the beginning. So they must feel very confident that he's going to live up to his potential. If he doesn't, however, there will be a lot of anger towards Jeffrey Lurie, who certainly had a wealth of quality candidates to choose from this year.

The next 3-5 years are either going to be some of the greatest or some of the worst in Eagles history.

I think its an awful move if he doesn't hire experience NFL coaches. The guy has no experience in the NFL at all (playing or coaching). He needs guys who been in the NFL awhile and maybe even been a coordinator.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole has been told that $3 million of Michael Vick's $15.5 million salary for 2013 becomes guaranteed on March 11, not February 6 as previously reported.

If true, the later date allows the Eagles more time to think things over now that Chip Kelly is on board. It's thought that with Kelly now in town, Vick may be more willing to renegotiate his massive deal and stick around. The quarterback's departure from Philadelphia was once widely viewed as a lock, but it now seems to be less certain. Jan 16 - 10:13 PM

Source: Yahoo! Sports

This hire will either be an epic one, or it'll fail hard imo.

1. I wouldn't worry about the whole personal decision thing. Despite what people may believe, even with the sexy uniforms, and having Knight's stadium, rarely has Oregon had a top 20 recruiting class under Kelly and it showed when they faced stronger powerhouse teams. The guy was able to make a lot of work happen with what he got. He knows talent, and probably knows what he wants to get his offense and his defense. I've been on the Oregon bandwagon since he's join (and probably leaving it now that he's no longer there), and I saw him work his magic with whoever he had playing QB, etc.

2. Just because Kelly was hired, it doesn't mean he's going to implement a scheme to make Vick relevant. He has a huge decision to make, but in no way does it automatically mean, he's gonna start.

3. 4. 5th. 6th. 7th. 8th. 9th. 10th. Chip Kelly is an EXTREMELY flexible coach. Just because he has his system, and it works for him, it doesn't mean he's gonna try to come here to the NFL and force it. Like any other great coach, if he evaluates and thinks Nick Foles will be the answer he will adapt his system. I'm sure he will incorporate some zone read packages with a wildcat QB who is a threat to throw, but it'll probably be to get the HB more opertunities, OU's QB didn't run anywhere near as much as one would think, and the staple of his offense is the inside zone read (ZBS), a base play that many NFL teams run already.

11th. 12th. 13th. 14th. 15th. what made Kelly so good was his unique nature and attention to detail. The way he preached his, "Win the day" mantra. That's something that he can do at the next level and be successful. His unique method of maximizing reps in practice by playing as fast as they can and leaving all the coaching for later. These are unique things that enabled Kelly to succeed. I have no doubt he can succeed with whatever personnel he chooses. He's a flexible guy, and he's extremely strategic. There's a reason why coaches in the NFL (BB), NBA teams went to watch his teams practice, the guy knows how to coach. He's no sure fire thing, but nobody is. But of all the coaches that were left to chose from, I'd argue he's the smartest.

Anybody thinks he's going to run a 3-4? Or the Eagles will stay with the 4-3...

This is pretty much my line of thinking as well on Kelly. I think too many people are getting caught up in how his offense is going to work in the NFL, and his now rep of being a "flip-flopper."

Honestly, when it comes to the sudden change of decision it came down to money — let's be serious here. The Eagles original offer wasn't good enough for Kelly, and for that price he'd rather stay at Oregon. They obviously countered more recently and the offer was too good to refuse. Make no mistake, this is always about the money. The "love for the game" stuff is nice, it makes for a great story, but in the end it's always about the money.

I don't buy the "he needs NFL experienced coaches on his staff because he's got no NFL experience" stuff. You find good coaches where you find good coaches. Does experience at a higher level help? Sure, but if coaches with NFL experience were the only way to succeed no college coaches would ever rise from the ranks to be successful in the NFL. It always depends on the coach. Just because he's inexperienced in the NFL doesn't mean he needs experienced NFL coaches around him. Regardless the UGA guy does have NFL experience, just not NFL DC experience. It's not a brow raising hire if it happens.

Link:

“The challenge is what I was excited about, and that’s why I came,” Kelly said, via The Associated Press. “I was sold on the Eagles the first time I met them, it was my ties to Oregon that made it hard. But the Eagles are the Eagles. This is the NFL.

“My dream is to just win, and with the Eagles, this was the best opportunity for me to win. I never thought a long time ago that I was going to be able to coach in the NFL, but I’m excited about the opportunity.”

“I always wanted the job,” he said.

“I know it’s a rabid fan base. I hope they don’t boo me. It’s an exciting time, and I’m ready to get to work.”

Honestly, when it comes to the sudden change of decision it came down to money — let's be serious here. The Eagles original offer wasn't good enough for Kelly, and for that price he'd rather stay at Oregon. They obviously countered more recently and the offer was too good to refuse. Make no mistake, this is always about the money. The "love for the game" stuff is nice, it makes for a great story, but in the end it's always about the money.

How do you know? When's the last time you talked to Chip? Next time you sit down with him, can you get an autograph for me?

With Phil Knight entrenched at Oregon, the Ducks were capable of matching any financial offer the Eagles made. Chip said it took him awhile to leave simply because it was tough to leave Oregon behind, and I'm willing to believe it--for now. I'm also willing to believe he got some new information regarding the sanctions that are coming Oregon's way (a la Pete Carroll & USC), but time will tell on that one.

Here is an article of Chip Kelly's influence in the NFL

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/1/16/3884942/chip-kelly-gets-endorsements-from-around-the-nfl-world

Many Eagles fans were hoping to hear that Jon Gruden would be named the next Eagles head coach, but they can take solace in the fact that Gruden is one of the biggest backers of Chip Kelly in the NFL community. Upon hearing that Kelly got the Eagles job, Gruden expressed confidence that Kelly will be a success at this level.

"This guy's a stud," said Gruden. "This guy's a stand-up guy. He's the first guy to take credit when things go wrong, and I really believe he's going to be a dominant coach for a long time."

The ironic thing is that if the Eagles had hired Gruden, they likely would have seen a lot of concepts he learned from Chip Kelly. Mike Mayock said last week that Gruden had invited Kelly to his home in recent offseasons to learn more about Chip's offense.

Another guy who was interested in how Chip did things on offense was Bill Belichick.

"I was interested to hear how he did it," said Belichick. "I would say he expanded it to a different level and it was very interesting to understand what he was doing. Certainly I've learned a lot from talking to Chip about his experiences with it and how he does it and his procedure and all that."

After his discussions and meetings with Kelly, Belichick incorporated a lot of Kelly's concepts into his own offense. As a result, the Patriots run more plays and have a faster time per play than any other team in the NFL. They also led the NFL is overall offense and points per game.

As for whether Chip can translate this offense to the NFL himself? NFL Network's Mike Lombardi said you'd be wrong to assume the exact offense you saw at Oregon will be what he tries in the NFL.

"He is a very successful coach, he is a very smart coach, and he is a very analytical coach.," said Lombardi. "He is going to take the success he had - and he studies the pro game - and he is going to apply to the pro game. I think his ideas of what he does at Oregon will always come into the NFL but they won't necessarily be the offense. Anyone who says ‘well, Chip Kelly's offense won't work in the NFL,' they really don't know Chip Kelly as a person. Chip Kelly is very smart, he is very analytical, and he will adapt to the pro game and his talents as a leader will take over as head coach."

Kelly's old head coach from New Hampshire, Bill Bowles, said Kelly's greatest talent has been creating offenses around his personnel.

"He's bright enough to know you have to match your offense with the talent you have. Not all coaches have that - the ability to make changes or adaptations, and the foresight to analyze and evaluate the personnel you have, and create the best offense for your personnel."

Finally, what do his former players think?

"Chip Kelly is a mastermind," said Ravens TE Ed Dickson.

Just saw Chip's press conference and it definitely soothed my mind a bit. I was very impressed with his press conference. He handled himself in a great fashion and I loved his answer to every question. He exemplified his intelligence in every answer and showed that he knows the constant fundamentals of the game that are required at all levels of football. I love his emphasis on adjusting the scheme to the talent of the players; evaluating players and putting them in the best position to succeed. It's clear that he has a high football intelligence, so I'm hoping that he can put it together at this level. I also hope that he acquires his staff from the NFL level. It's also comforting that successful coaches like Bill Belichick went to Chip Kelly and put aspects of his game into their own at the NFL level. Belichick is a genius though. I hope that Chip can translate what he was successful at in college to the NFL level with the same results. It would be hard pressed to do any worse then we've been as a team. Glad we have a culture change and I will fully support Chip. I am extremely optimistic and excited about our future. I like the direction that the organization seems to be going in and I can't wait for the season to start.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! :rock:

Edited by dutchff7

Ya. I actually did feel slightly better about the hire after watching his Presser. It was very solid, IMO. Only thing I kind of noticed was when Sal (afterwards) interviewed him and asked him if he would ditch the Eagles if it went south, he kind of hesitated, made a joke (which is typical for people who need extra time to think of an answer) and he didn't actually look at Sal. he was looking passed him and over his shoulder.. His voice and tone changed as well. All things pointing to him lying and/or being dishonest.

Maybe some employees were restocking the lunch table in the background.. I don't want to look too much into it, but he didn't seem all that genuine or honest in that particular segment.

For the sanity of Eagles fans, hopefully it doesn't go south so early...

Edited by Favre4Ever

For the sanity of Eagles fans, hopefully it doesn't go south so early...

I'm honestly fine with it if it does. As I said, I acknowledge that Kelly is a boom or bust candidate, and the last thing I want is to deal with another decade of a mediocre coach.

Is he going to be calling the plays? If so that is already a major fail on his part. Maybe he can get Ray Horton, since for some retarded reason the Cardinals let him go for some awful DC.

The latest buzz has the Eagles interviewing Georgia Tech defensive coordinator Todd Grantham and Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart for the same position with the Eagles. Seems like this staff will be largely composed of college guys, furthering the idea that this is going to be a boom or bust thing.

Also, saw this on Twitter and had a nice smirk. :D

@BFeldmanCBS Text from a Pac-12 coach who I asked about Chip Kelly going to Eagles: "Great. Let the f@ckin NFL deal with him."

Too many college coaches well sway this into a bust thing imo. We need to try and get Ray Horton.

Too many college coaches well sway this into a bust thing imo. We need to try and get Ray Horton.

He's going to Cleveland, it looks like. And he could be a head coach in 2014 or 2015 anyway. I want somebody who can be the DC the next five years.

I like Kirby Smart, I'm just not sure is "smart" to hire 2 college guys. The only experience Smart has in the NFL is 1 year with the Dolphins coaching safeties

Grantham is UGA's DC, SteVo. Mostly a 3-4 guy.

Edited by GA_Eagle

The latest buzz has the Eagles interviewing Georgia Tech defensive coordinator Todd Grantham and Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart for the same position with the Eagles. Seems like this staff will be largely composed of college guys, furthering the idea that this is going to be a boom or bust thing.

Also, saw this on Twitter and had a nice smirk. :D

Why Do I have a feeling that comment was from LOLKiffin.