Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

Jags Hire Gus Bradley As New Head Coach

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Filed to ESPN: Former Seahawks DC Gus Bradley has accepted the head coaching job with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I like it.

:rock:

He got high regards from Monte Kiffin:

Bradley has a great resume with the Seahawks after turning a near-league-worst unit into the top scoring defense in the NFL this year -- and from things I've read this week, Bradley isn't just a Pete Carroll marionette when it comes to the schemes, he's the guy creating the gameplan and calling the plays on the sideline, something that has to be impressive for teams interested in his services.

Both Pete Carroll and legendary coach Monte Kiffin speak highly of Bradley, and Kiffin's endorsement of Bradley to Carroll was one of the main reasons that Pete kept Gus onboard once he took over control of the Seahawks.Tommy Lawlor of IgglesBlitz.com talked to Kiffin this week, and Carroll's old mentor, Kiffin, sang Bradley's praises.

"He really is exceptional," Kiffin told Lawlor "You could tell. He's not just a really, really smart coach; he's got a great personality. He connects with the players really well. He reminds me of (Steelers coach) Mike Tomlin. We hired Mike at 29-years-old out of the University of Cincinnati. It didn't take long to know that Mike was special, and I knew from Day 1 that Gus was special. He'll be a head coach in the NFL. He's got no panic. Some people do, it doesn't mean they're not really good coaches, but Gus, he's special. When he interviews, he'll knock your socks off. I'm not trying to pump him up, but I know what he is. He's put it on tape up there."

Not bad, though I don't really know anything about him. I await his PC.

Good signing. I definitely think he is a good coach. HEAD COACH is a different story, but with what they have worked with before I'm sure they'll be ok.

From when Monte Kiffin recommended Bradley to then new head coach of the Seahawks, Jim Mora Jr:

But it was more what Kiffin said about Bradley than the way he said it that prompted Mora to bring the Tampa Bay linebackers coach in for an interview.

"Monte says, 'J.L., listen to me. I have got a guy here in Tampa that is one of, if not, the finest football coaches I have ever worked with. He's an A-plus. He's a once-in-a-lifetime coach. You need to talk to him,' " Mora recalled.

"He said, 'J.L., this guy is special. You have to bring him in. You have to talk to him.' "

Interesting. Once-in-a-lifetime coach? Strong words.

EDIT:

From Leon Washington, RB and KR for Seahawks:

@Leon_Washington: @TheJVilleJet Yeah, He's a player Coach with Tons of Knowledge. #Jaguars will play for him
Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

He deserved a shot at being a HC, too bad he gets Blaine Gabbert right out of the gate.

Good hire for Jacksonville. The next big question is who they get for offensive coordinator, but I think Gus will make a good head coach. Maybe they won't be the lolJags for too much longer, though Blaine Gabbert certainly has to go.

I wouldn't worry about Blaine Gabbert too much. Caldwell has already said he's bringing in another QB. Question is, if it's a rookie or free agent. The job is open to be won, may the best (or least garbage) QB win.

Nice hire by the Jags. He did an excellent job with the Seahawks defense and has that fiery passion you want out of a Head Coach. I like this move a lot for Jacksonville.

I am really looking forward to this press conference...

@AdamSchefter:

Jacksonville requested permission from New Orleans to interview Pete Carmichael Jr for its OC job. New Orleans still wants to re-sign him.

EDIT:

Nevermind...

@JasonLaCanfora:

Can confirm reports Pete Carmichael will stay with Saints. Loves working with Coach Payton. Working on new contract with New Orleans

Edited by BucD

If Gus Bradley can get Pete Carmichael as his OC the Jags will be in GREAT shape. Wish we would have signed Bradley instead of Kelly but he'll be an awesome coach for the Jags.

This was a a great hire for the Jags. I wanted Bradley after McCoy got snagged up. After Chips press conference, I'm fine with him and going to give him a chance. I really wanted an offensive minded guy to develop Nick Foles (whom I believe has potential to be a starter in this league) and push our talented and explosive offense to an elite level. I just hope he can put it together.

Not as high on him as everyone else is.

I loved the 4-3 under scheme they ran in Seattle although it probably had more to do with Carroll who's ran it forever.

Its a decent hire, but Ray Horton would of been the better choice imo.

Great hire for the Jags might take a bit though they need to build up some talent like Caroll did when he gutted the Seahawks roster.

Edited by Sacks98

Blaine gon' win the job :yep:

Hopefully not :facepalm:

Love the hire. Looking forward to a big off-season for the Jags.

You should want him to. Mean's he's gonna beast. :yep:

Just watched the PC. Not a lot revealed here, PC was filled with a lot of rah-rah, "passion", coachspeak. I am curious to see what is done with the defense, whether we're going to shift to the 3-4 completely or move to some hybrid. In the end though, I'm not as happy about this as I was the Caldwell hiring, but I don't hate it. I'm sure things will be better once he gets settled in and gets more comfortable.

Edited by Vin

A lot of teams run hybrid fronts in the NFL now. Should be interesting to see where they go with the #2 pick, they will have a choice of some great pass rushers.

Hopefully this regime can identify pass rushers better than the last couple.

A lot of teams run hybrid fronts in the NFL now. Should be interesting to see where they go with the #2 pick, they will have a choice of some great pass rushers.

Jarvis Jones :yep:

Bradley confirmed he's going to feature the "Leo" position in JAX like he did in SEA. Clemons was the most used player at that position, with Bruce Irvin playing there some — and obviously after Clemons got injured. Looking at Clemon's size, Jason Babin is the same height and close to the same weight. He has the quick first step too, and the Leo does line up wider than the other linemen so it's probably a good fit. I'd also like to see them use Andre Branch there too. But of course if they draft a stud pass rusher (which I think is most likely), obviously you'd like to see them used there instead with the others rotating in.

Also you'll probably see Alualu moved outside to DE in the Leo, just like they did with Red Bryant (another perceived bust at DT who succeeded under Bradley and Carroll when they moved him outside), which will be better suited to Alualu's strengths because he's not a good vanilla 4-3 DT. Too small. I think they'll have Mincey play inside more too. It'll be interesting to see the changes Bradley makes with the personnel already on the team.

Gus likes big physical corners, so expect the Jags to quickly resign Derek Cox, who's also far and away their best corner but is a free agent. He missed 4 games this year, and his injury history is likely to scare some teams that otherwise would be interested away, so Jags might be able to snag him up for a reasonable price. Even though I'm not a big fan, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Sean Smith of Miami either, another big physical guy, but he got beat a lot this year. He's been inconsistent his whole career.

Jarvis Jones :yep:

The Jags would be retarded to take Jarvis Jones at two. He is a beast, but the guy is an injury away from being paralyzed. There is a reason Marcus McNeil fell to the 2nd round and had to retire after five years. If they want a pass rusher, they would be better off taking Damontre Moore or Bjoern Werner. Just too much risk with that spine to invest that high of a pick into Jones IMO.