Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Was AP the most deserving?

Debate was bought up due to me and some friends were having about how Rose didn't deserve the MVP as much as LBJ a couple years ago. But it's one I figured I'd bring up.

Did AP deserve the MVP this year more then A-Rod and Manning? How was he anymore deserving then JJ Watt?

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

The main argument I hear (and the one I support the most) is that AP did what QBs usually do: carry his team to the playoffs. That's a lot to ask of a running back, especially one coming off of some serious knee injuries late in the season. He came within nine yards of breaking the rushing record and shat on defenses all year long. A-Rod and Peyton both had amazing seasons (I would personally give A-Rod MVP if AP wasn't in contention), but I think most people were looking at them and saying, "Both of them will go to the playoffs this year. A-Rod will be great, and we don't know about Peyton but he has the weapons around him to have a good year." Well... they both did what everyone thought they would. Peyton, even if it wasn't entirely, his fault, took his team the same distance in the playoffs as Tebow. I will emphasize that point. Tebow took a playoff caliber team to the 2nd Round; Peyton took a championship caliber team to the 2nd round (and lost the first game).

I don't think A-Rod got the recognition he deserved because the NFC North spotlight was squarely centered on AP, and the QB spotlight was fixated on Manning. However, and this is more than likely just my Viking bias, I think what AP did this season was more than deserving of MVP. I'm not going to take away from what any other candidate did, but I definitely think AP was the most deserving.

As for Watt... I can't really make an argument for/against that, so I'll leave that be for now. I'll just say that I don't think he would get MVP regardless simply because he's not on offense. :shrug:

• Upvote 1

Can we stop calling Aaron Rodgers A-Rod and call him A-Rodg like he's supposed to be?

• Upvote 1

The main argument I hear (and the one I support the most) is that AP did what QBs usually do: carry his team to the playoffs. That's a lot to ask of a running back, especially one coming off of some serious knee injuries late in the season. He came within nine yards of breaking the rushing record and shat on defenses all year long. A-Rod and Peyton both had amazing seasons (I would personally give A-Rod MVP if AP wasn't in contention), but I think most people were looking at them and saying, "Both of them will go to the playoffs this year. A-Rod will be great, and we don't know about Peyton but he has the weapons around him to have a good year." Well... they both did what everyone thought they would. Peyton, even if it wasn't entirely, his fault, took his team the same distance in the playoffs as Tebow. I will emphasize that point. Tebow took a playoff caliber team to the 2nd Round; Peyton took a championship caliber team to the 2nd round (and lost the first game).

I don't think A-Rod got the recognition he deserved because the NFC North spotlight was squarely centered on AP, and the QB spotlight was fixated on Manning. However, and this is more than likely just my Viking bias, I think what AP did this season was more than deserving of MVP. I'm not going to take away from what any other candidate did, but I definitely think AP was the most deserving.

As for Watt... I can't really make an argument for/against that, so I'll leave that be for now. I'll just say that I don't think he would get MVP regardless simply because he's not on offense. :shrug:

Did he really? I don't really buy that. I agree he played a big part in them making the playoffs, but if anything the defense is what carried them to the playoffs imo. The offense was essentially the same across the board in terms of possessions. How much of a difference would it Charles, or a healthy MJD played for them?

The Broncos of 2012 were carried to the playoffs by the defense, and the offense barely getting by. Manning turned the offense into one of the best in the NFL while putting up MVP type numbers and finishing out with a better record.

Did he really? I don't really buy that. I agree he played a big part in them making the playoffs, but if anything the defense is what carried them to the playoffs imo. The offense was essentially the same across the board in terms of possessions. How much of a difference would it Charles, or a healthy MJD played for them?

If he didn't carry the entire team, he certainly carried the offense. The defense was certainly improved, but I don't think they were the biggest reason we made the playoffs. They were a big reason, yes, but I still give most of the credit to AP. Both Manning and AP had relatively good defenses this year (I'll have to check the Broncos' defensive stats to make sure I'm up to date), and they both had great years. I just think that in this league, it's easier to have a dominant passing attack without a dominant running attack than it is to have a dominant running attack without a dominant passing attack (not to take away from Ponder's strong stretch at the end).

The Broncos of 2012 were carried to the playoffs by the defense, and the offense barely getting by. Manning turned the offense into one of the best in the NFL while putting up MVP type numbers and finishing out with a better record.

Bleh... thanks for calling me out on that. I guess I just got caught on the argument of Tebow's "playoff run".

I'm not a fan of players that self promote themselves for awards. The fact that he said on tv several times that he thought he deserved it, and Peyton said nothing cause Peyton let's the fans, media, and league do the talking about his game.

I'm not a fan of players that self promote themselves for awards. The fact that he said on tv several times that he thought he deserved it, and Peyton said nothing cause Peyton let's the fans, media, and league do the talking about his game.

You're talking about AP, right? Yeah; I agree. I don't like that, even from AP. I generally think he's a great guy but sometimes he says things that are stupid or misplaced.

I believe A.P definitely deserved Mvp and Peyton rightfully deserved Come Back Player of the Year.

It's without a doubt that Peyton Manning's injury was more severe than Adrian Peterson's injury. A.P was expected to come back but wasn't expected to come back as strong as he did. People wasn't sure if Peyton was going to come back ever again. Doctors were telling Peyton to retire. With that being said, Peyton took an entire year off football, came back and played outstanding in the regular season. He led his team to the top seed in the AFC and won like 11 game straight; one of the hottest teams to go into the play offs. Unfortunately, Manning lost in the divisional round; the same round that the Broncos lost in with Tim Tebow last year. This years Broncos team is way better then last year, but they didn't progress. It's hard to give MVP to a QB when they didn't improve the team past last years mark; especially when Tim Tebow was the QB. Manning rightfully deserved Come Back Player of the Year imo.

Adrian Peterson on the other hand single handedly carried his team to the play offs. He just came back off a complete MCL/ACL tear and ran for the 2nd best rushing performance in NFL history; 2097 yards, 9 yards shy of the record. Enough about statistics though. Percy Harvin a dynamic play maker went down and Ponders production followed. A.P put his team on his back and put his team in positions to win. A.P averaged more YPG then his QB YPT. OKay, that's more statistics but that's huge. The Vikings were completely one dimensional. Teams knew A.P was getting the ball, stacked the box and still couldn't stop him. A RB carrying his team to the play offs is unheard of in today's league.

As for J.J Watt, people don't realize the magnitude of how big his season really was. J.J Watts season was historical and overlooked due to how offense is praised in this league. One word completely epitomized J.J Watts season; dominance. I don't think we've ever seen a season like that from a defensive lineman; an interior lineman at that.. He was the total package. He was the most disruptive defensive player in the league. He led in run stop percentage and pass rushing productivity. He was dominant in all phases: sacking the QB, disrupting the QB, batting passes, stuffing the run, you name it. J.J Watt was the only person that I could have accepted to have taken the MVP award from A.P. Watts season was truly a monstrosity.

If any QB won the award, it should have been Aaron Rodgers. Another amazing season which is the norm for him. I think he just gets lost because of how outstanding some of the other players played at their respective positions. A.P had the 2nd best rushing performance in history and J.J Watt had the best D-line man season ever. Rodgers took the beat seat to all the hype but should have definitely been in the discussion. To perform at the level that Aaron Rodgers did WHILE being the most sacked QB in the league speaks in volumes. People tend to forget about that...

At the end of the day though, I truly believe A.P should have won it. Watt was right on his back though; really Watt is right beside him if you really look at the impact those two made this season. I'm just a huge A.P fan so I'm gravitating slightly towards him more; but like I said, Watt could have won as well and i wouldn't be mad because he deserved it. Peyton took his team to the same spot Tim Tebow did last year so that took him out automatically imo. I was riding the Peyton wave at 1st but when I sit back and look at the amazing seasons from other players, they had the better seasons. People get lost in statistics alot. It's not about statistics, it's about impact and A.P definitely wins that in my book (Watt is right there as well). A RB carried a 3-13 team from the previous year to 10-6 AND rushes for 2097 yards? A.P ALL DAY!

My Mvp list:

1. A.P

2. J.J Watt

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Peyton Manning

5. Tom Brady

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1

You're talking about AP, right? Yeah; I agree. I don't like that, even from AP. I generally think he's a great guy but sometimes he says things that are stupid or misplaced.

Yeah, cause everyone knows what he did was anything short of remarkable. The type of injury, the normal time of rehab, and how frequent he's been injured through his career made what he did this year truly exceptional. But let us as fans, and the media, and your fellow NFL collegues praise you, and say you deserve it. Have a little sense of humbleness. That's all I'm asking. I believe they both should've shared the award for both MVP and comeback player. Just my opinion tho

I believe A.P definitely deserved Mvp and Peyton rightfully deserved Come Back Player of the Year.

It's without a doubt that Peyton Manning's injury was more severe than Adrian Peterson's injury. A.P was expected to come back but wasn't expected to come back as strong as he did. People wasn't sure if Peyton was going to come back ever again. Doctors were telling Peyton to retire. With that being said, Peyton took an entire year off football, came back and played outstanding in the regular season. He led his team to the top seed in the AFC and won like 11 game straight; one of the hottest teams to go into the play offs. Unfortunately, Manning lost in the divisional round; the same round that the Broncos lost in with Tim Tebow last year. This years Broncos team is way better then last year, but they didn't progress. It's hard to give MVP to a QB when they didn't improve the team past last years mark; especially when Tim Tebow was the QB. Manning rightfully deserved Come Back Player of the Year imo.

Adrian Peterson on the other hand single handedly carried his team to the play offs. He just came back off a complete MCL/ACL tear and ran for the 2nd best rushing performance in NFL history; 2097 yards, 9 yards shy of the record. Enough about statistics though. Percy Harvin a dynamic play maker went down and Ponders production followed. A.P put his team on his back and put his team in positions to win. A.P averaged more YPG then his QB YPT. OKay, that's more statistics but that's huge. The Vikings were completely one dimensional. Teams knew A.P was getting the ball, stacked the box and still couldn't stop him. A RB carrying his team to the play offs is unheard of in today's league.

As for J.J Watt, people don't realize the magnitude of how big his season really was. J.J Watts season was historical and overlooked due to how offense is praised in this league. One word completely epitomized J.J Watts season; dominant. I don't think we've ever seen a season like that from a defensive lineman. He was the total package. He was the most disruptive defensive player in the league. He led in run stop percentage and pass rushing productivity. He was dominant in all phases: sacking the QB, disrupting the QB, batting passes, stuffing the run, you name it. J.J Watt was the only person that I could have accepted to have taken the MVP award from A.P. Watts season was truly a monstrosity.

If any QB won the award, it should have been Aaron Rodgers. Another amazing season which is the norm for him. I think he just gets lost because of how outstanding some of the other players played at their respective positions. A.P had the 2nd best rushing performance in history and J.J Watt had the best D-line man season ever. Rodgers took the beat seat to all the hype but should have definitely been in the discussion.

At the end of the day though, I truly believe A.P should have won it. Watt was right on his back though; really Watt is right beside him if you really look at the impact those two made this season. I'm just a huge A.P fan so I'm gravitating slightly towards him more; but like I said, Watt could have won as well and i wouldn't be mad because he deserved it. Peyton took his team to the same spot Tim Tebow did last year so that took him out automatically imo. I was riding the Peyton wave at 1st but when I sit back and look at the amazing seasons from other players, they had the better seasons. People get lost in statistics alot. It's not about statistics, it's about impact and A.P definitely wins that in my book (Watt is right there as well). A RB carries a his 3-13 team from the previous year to 10-6 AND rushes for 2097 yards? A.P ALL DAY!

How much does the injury on the individual really play in the MVP talk when both were relatively healthy enough to perform?

I'm still not buying this whole notion that AP carried his team. People keep saying that, but I really don't see how it holds much weight. He did carry the offense, but what does that really mean? There are three parts to football, and the offense arguably played the smallest for the Vikings. The offense wasn't the reason they went from 3-13 to the playoffs, it was the defense giving up almost a whole touchdown + XP a game less that helped take the major leap.

The whole discrediting Peyton because of Tebow thing is still beyond me. Of all the reasons the Broncos made it to the playoffs last year, Tim Tebow is probably pretty low on that list. Manning turned the offense into a powerhouse that was arguably the NFL's best, and helped lead to one of the best records in the NFL.

The game they were exited from the playoffs is also irrelevant because the MVP is a regular season award. And let's be real, Joe Webb starting in for Ponder and being absolutely useless proved just how much the Vikings still needed some form of pass game to help AP out.

I think between AP and Watt you could go either way imo. I was never sold on Peyton for MVP, comeback player absolutely.

I would have liked to see Watt win it. I think he was more than deserving to win it but because he does not play on the right side of the Center I pretyt much abandoned hope he would win it.

This is not to take away from AP because he definitely deserved it too. He was the biggest reason they made it to the playoffs. Did he carry them...yeah kind of. I mean people can say what they want about the pass opening up the run, but it goes the other way too. Without AP nobody is going to fear that offense. If Ponder has to beat you that is a way easier out. So when AP is in their he makes Ponder a better QB, Ponder does not make a AP a better RB. Did others pith in ? Sure did. That said that team is nowhere near where they are without AP's season. They have no shot at the playoffs without him.

• Upvote 1

How much does the injury on the individual really play in the MVP talk when both were relatively healthy enough to perform?

True but I briefly spoke off A.P's injury. One line to be exact. The substance of my post was mainly on impact.

I'm still not buying this whole notion that AP carried his team. People keep saying that, but I really don't see how it holds much weight. He did carry the offense, but what does that really mean? There are three parts to football, and the offense arguably played the smallest for the Vikings. The offense wasn't the reason they went from 3-13 to the playoffs, it was the defense giving up almost a whole touchdown + XP a game less that helped take the major leap.

People also forget to factor in that A.P was injured for 1/4 of the season as well last year. Outside of that, the stats that is, something that you can't track is impact. A.P continually put his team in positions for success. It may not always show up in TDs, but it can translate in A.P moving his team down the field for someone else to score. A perfect example that is similar is the last game of the regular season; the run that sealed the game against the Packers and took them into the play offs. Impact. It's those game changing plays that are unaccounted for in statistical categories. A.P made a lot of game changing plays to help his team win. Did the defense play its part? Ofcourse they did. The Vikings defense definitely improved from last year. This year, they were only in the middle of the pack; like 15th in points allowed. The 15th ranked defense and the leading rusher of the NFL that accumulated over 2000 yards... A defense that allows over 20 points per game is average at best. I wouldn't say that Vikings defense was necessarily the biggest part either. A circular argument but imo, A.P was clearly the X-factor on that team. To downplay A.P's production on the offensive side of the ball saying it played a small part is kinda absurd.

The whole discrediting Peyton because of Tebow thing is still beyond me. Of all the reasons the Broncos made it to the playoffs last year, Tim Tebow is probably pretty low on that list. Manning turned the offense into a powerhouse that was arguably the NFL's best, and helped lead to one of the best records in the NFL.

While Tim Tebow is not a good QB or maybe not even suppose to be a QB in the NFL, there's no denying that he won important games last year that got his team into the play offs. He had 5 game winning drives in the regular season and 1 in the play offs. You take away those 5 game winning drives, the Broncos are at home. Granted with all that said, the Broncos defense kept them in close games for Tebow to win it. If the Broncos aren't a top 5 defense last year, they don't have a chance. But to completely discredit Tebow for making those last minute plays would be unfair; fluke or not.

The game they were exited from the playoffs is also irrelevant because the MVP is a regular season award. And let's be real, Joe Webb starting in for Ponder and being absolutely useless proved just how much the Vikings still needed some form of pass game to help AP out.

I didn't mention A.P and the play offs and let's be real; You can't use one game to justify your point when A.P balled out the entire regular season (even while suffering a hernia injury). But you already pointed out the play offs was irrelevant.

Edited by dutchff7

I don't understand why there should be any doubt why AP should've won...all I see so far countering AP's MVP award is...

1344949916381.png

I'd like to point out that Peyton taking the Broncos to a better record than AP carried the Vikings is kinda irrelevant. The Broncos had a far easier schedule down the stretch.

There's really no question in my mind that Adrian Peterson was the most valuable player to his team in the entire NFL.

Oh yay! Let's derail a thread with gifs!

True but I briefly spoke off A.P's injury. One line to be exact. The substance of my post was mainly on impact.

People also forget to factor in that A.P was injured for 1/4 of the season as well last year. Outside of that, the stats that is, something that you can't track is impact. A.P continually put his team in positions for success. It may not always show up in TDs, but it can translate in A.P moving his team down the field for someone else to score. A perfect example that is similar is the last game of the regular season; the run that sealed the game against the Packers and took them into the play offs. Impact. It's those game changing plays that are unaccounted for in statistical categories. A.P made a lot of game changing plays to help his team win. Did the defense play its part? Ofcourse they did. The Vikings defense definitely improved from last year. This year, they were only in the middle of the pack; like 15th in points allowed. The 15th ranked defense and the leading rusher of the NFL that accumulated over 2000 yards... A defense that allows over 20 points per game is average at best. I wouldn't say that Vikings defense was necessarily the biggest part either. A circular argument but imo, A.P was clearly the X-factor on that team. To downplay A.P's production on the offensive side of the ball saying it played a small part is kinda absurd.

An offense that averaged around 24 points isn't average? 336.6 ypg isn't uber average? 5.4 offensive yards per play isn't average to below average? 19 1st downs a game isn't average?

The offense hardly got any better in terms of results from two years ago to last year. The defense on the other hand improved drastically. Not sure how anyone can argue AP played a bigger role on the team's success then the defense.

While Tim Tebow is not a good QB or maybe not even suppose to be a QB in the NFL, there's no denying that he won important games last year that got his team into the play offs. He had 5 game winning drives in the regular season and 1 in the play offs. You take away those 5 game winning drives, the Broncos are at home. Granted with all that said, the Broncos defense kept them in close games for Tebow to win it. If the Broncos aren't a top 5 defense last year, they don't have a chance. But to completely discredit Tebow for making those last minute plays would be unfair; fluke or not.

How many of those game wining drives would they need if Tebow led more scoring dives in the first 3 quarters?

I didn't mention A.P and the play offs and let's be real; You can't use one game to justify your point when A.P balled out the entire regular season (even while suffering a hernia injury). But you already pointed out the play offs was irrelevant.

Yea, but you did mention that Manning didn't lead the Broncos any deeper then Tebow led them in the playoffs, which was the only reason I bought it up.

What on earth are you talking about? The Broncos were #20 in total defense in 2011.

They were #24 in scoring defense.

Usually when a thread gets derailed with .gifs...it may mean that the topic at hand cannot be taken seriously.

Now seriously... the Broncos of 2012 are the same team of the Broncos of 2011. Literally +/- a few players here there.. Dumervil was out in 2011...but then returned in 2012 with a new man at QB in Peyton...who got one less playoff win than Tim Tebow. Don't try and say Peyton made the Broncos any better...or was the MVP of the NFL, because if he was the MVP of the NFL. The Broncos would've easily been SB champs.

Adrian Peterson LITERALLY put his team on his back down the stretch...without Percy Harvin or a starting caliber QB at the end. The Vikings defense isn't even comparable to the Broncos...so let's not act like AP shouldn't of won this award because he was the Vikings. Peyton was simply just an addition to the Broncos coming off a full-season's rest for a neck injury...meanwhile. AP came off a torn ACL which ruins careers and started day one, and carried a team that nobody thought would make the playoffs to a WC seed...that saw just as many wins as the Denver Broncos in the postseason. Zero. /thread.

• Upvote 1

Usually when a thread gets derailed with .gifs...it may mean that the topic at hand cannot be taken seriously.

Now seriously... the Broncos of 2012 are the same team of the Broncos of 2011. Literally +/- a few players here there.. Dumervil was out in 2011...but then returned in 2012 with a new man at QB in Peyton...who got one less playoff win than Tim Tebow. Don't try and say Peyton made the Broncos any better...or was the MVP of the NFL, because if he was the MVP of the NFL. The Broncos would've easily been SB champs.

He didn't make them better?

So taking an offense that was bottom of the league in every category outside of rushing yards and TDs into a top 5, top 3 offense isn't make them better?

Going from an 8-8 team that struggled to put up 20+ points a game, to a 13-3 team that put up below 30 points twice all season isn't making your team better?

Yea. Just another addition.

Adrian Peterson LITERALLY put his team on his back down the stretch...without Percy Harvin or a starting caliber QB at the end. The Vikings defense isn't even comparable to the Broncos...so let's not act like AP shouldn't of won this award because he was the Vikings. Peyton was simply just an addition to the Broncos coming off a full-season's rest for a neck injury...meanwhile. AP came off a torn ACL which ruins careers and started day one, and carried a team that nobody thought would make the playoffs to a WC seed...that saw just as many wins as the Denver Broncos in the postseason. Zero. /thread.

Adrian Peterson did not literally carry the Vikings. Being the centerpiece in an offense that was average at best is not "literally carrying a team". Especially when the defense's major improvements were the reason for the playoff run. None of these guys carried their teams, it's a 3 phase sport with over 30 players who impact any given game, that phrase is beyond misleading.

So you tell me. You have two guys, both leading their offenses, one puts up elite numbers, leads his offense to being one of the NFL's best, improving in just about every category, while the other puts up a lot of yards, and leads an offense that was barely average, and barely improved in production. Which makes for a better MVP case?

And the whole "ACL ruins careers" stuff is no longer relevant. ACL among the best players no longer end their careers, if anything, we've seen it help players somehow get better. Lol at trying to act like a 36 year old QB with a fucked up neck that caused him to stop playing football for an entire year and had the whole world telling him to retire coming back and putting up prolific numbers when everyone thought he was on the decline.

• Upvote 1

Adrian Peterson did not literally carry the Vikings. Being the centerpiece in an offense that was average at best is not "literally carrying a team". Especially when the defense's major improvements were the reason for the playoff run. None of these guys carried their teams, it's a 3 phase sport with over 30 players who impact any given game, that phrase is beyond misleading.

So you tell me. You have two guys, both leading their offenses, one puts up elite numbers, leads his offense to being one of the NFL's best, improving in just about every category, while the other puts up a lot of yards, and leads an offense that was barely average, and barely improved in production. Which makes for a better MVP case?

And the whole "ACL ruins careers" stuff is no longer relevant. ACL among the best players no longer end their careers, if anything, we've seen it help players somehow get better. Lol at trying to act like a 36 year old QB with a fucked up neck that caused him to stop playing football for an entire year and had the whole world telling him to retire coming back and putting up prolific numbers when everyone thought he was on the decline.

Ok Peyton had a great season no doubt. Would you really call it prolific ? I know 5 years ago without a doubt it was a prolific season, but lately 4600 is elite but not really prolific anymore. With Brees breaking the record, Brady throwing for 50 TD's, and 4 people throwing over 5K last year I dont know if prolific is what I would call it.

To me it comes down to what do you have when both are gone ? Last year with one of the worst throwers in the league the Broncos are still in the playoffs.

Now take AP away from the vikings and what do you have. Probably a 6-10 team.

• Upvote 1

Ok Peyton had a great season no doubt. Would you really call it prolific ? I know 5 years ago without a doubt it was a prolific season, but lately 4600 is elite but not really prolific anymore. With Brees breaking the record, Brady throwing for 50 TD's, and 4 people throwing over 5K last year I dont know if prolific is what I would call it.

To me it comes down to what do you have when both are gone ? Last year with one of the worst throwers in the league the Broncos are still in the playoffs.

Yup. These performances for QBs are becoming less and less spectacular and more of the norm. Yes, it has all been in recent history but numbers like those put up by Manning just aren't as impressive when you have a QB like Rodgers who has put up those numbers for 5 years and many others are starting.

The bar for QBs is being set very high, and rightfully so.

Who is your MVP?

A RB who runs for 2100 yards at 6 YPC, a line we have NEVER seen before.

Or that really good QBs stat line that does not even rank in the Top 10 QB seasons in the last 5 years?

The choice is pretty easy, with all due respect to Peyton.

AP strung together arguably the best run for any RB in NFL history in the 2nd half of the season with a sports hernia... lmao

His numbers weren't simply "elite". They were nearly unmatched in the history of the league.

Peyton's numbers weren't even close (as great as they were)

Outside of his rushing numbers, what else about his game was "unmatched in history"?

Yea he put up a lot of yards on a great average, especially down the stretch, but putting up great numbers automatically means you win MVP? If that's the case, then why didn't the guy who had arguably one if, if not greatest season by any DL ever get a single vote?

I still don't understand why people continue to bring up what the Broncos did last year to somehow discredit what Manning did to that team. The Broncos made the playoffs two years ago because they played in a weak division, defense, special teams, and some last second comeback wins that they probably wouldn't of ever been in position to make without their defense.

I don't mean to say Manning's numbers were prolific, but they were elite, the offense was prolific though. There's no questioning that. And that was because of Manning.

Would the Vikings really be a 6-10 team without AP? Take away AP, and put in Charles, and how much would that offense really dip in terms of overall production? AP played every game 2 years ago outside of the last two, and the offense was putting up almost identical numbers, as they did this past season.

Yup. These performances for QBs are becoming less and less spectacular and more of the norm. Yes, it has all been in recent history but numbers like those put up by Manning just aren't as impressive when you have a QB like Rodgers who has put up those numbers for 5 years and many others are starting.

The bar for QBs is being set very high, and rightfully so.

Who is your MVP?

A RB who runs for 2100 yards at 6 YPC, a line we have NEVER seen before.

Or that really good QBs stat line that does not even rank in the Top 10 QB seasons in the last 5 years?

The choice is pretty easy, with all due respect to Peyton.

How about quarterbacking one of the best offenses in the NFL while putting up elite numbers? As apposed to leading an average offense despite your great numbers?

The individual stats AP piled up gets him an OPOTY award. Not MVP of the whole league. That should go to a guy who led one of the best units in the league, not a guy who led a middle of the road offense.

And let's not act like that Oline was a bunch of nobodies ever. In the second and first game against us regardless of whether AP ran in or out he wasn't getting touched before picking up at least 4 yards on most plays.