Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Seahawks sign Michael Bennett for one year, $5M

Per Rotoworld.com:

Seahawks agreed to terms with DE Michael Bennett, formerly of the Buccaneers, on a one-year, $5 million contract.

All the defensive ends. The Seahawks came out of nowhere and scooped up another talented pass rusher on the cheap in Bennett, just as they did on Wednesday with Cliff Avril. The market for defensive ends is clearly way out of whack, and is much worse than expected. Seattle can now trot out Bennett, Avril, and Bruce Irvin without skipping a beat while Chris Clemons recovers from his torn ACL. Veteran pass rushers John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, and Osi Umenyiora are going to have to settle for well-below-market one-year deals in all likelihood. Bennett started his career with the Seahawks in 2009 before being cut the same season. Mar 14 - 7:34 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter

That was a big need for the down the stretch and they seem to be going hard in FA trying to fill it...

Glad to have him back Ruskell decided to keep a 2nd kicker over him in 09 lol.

Edited by Sacks98

I'm surprised that was all he got. Great move for the Seahawks. Gonna miss Bennett a lot. I thought for sure at the beginning of the off-season we wouldn't let Bennett walk. He was very underrated last year and is a solid overall DE. He's not the greatest pass rusher, but he still gets a decent amount of pressure and is very good against the run.

:rock:

Hide ya QB hide ya wife.

Edited by BC

Per Rotoworld.com:

New Seahawks DE Michael Bennett has been diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff in his shoulder.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the injury explains why Bennett had to settle for a one-year, $4.8 million deal in free agency. Bennett's status for training camp is unknown, but more details should be available shortly. A rotator cuff tear typically requires surgery. We suspect Bennett could still be ready for Week 1. Mar 24 - 5:18 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Not to worried if this was a big deal i doubt they sign him this wouldn't get by an MRI.

Edited by Sacks98

Wow. Does explain the deal, but $5 million is still a nice chunk of change for a guy with a torn rotator cuff.

Seattle is gonna use him at the 3 technique position.

Seattle's pass rush is serious business. I'm going to miss Bennett. Wish him the best.

Seattle's pass rush is serious business. I'm going to miss Bennett. Wish him the best.

I'll miss his run stuffing ability. But we need to get a better pass rush regardless. 9 sacks is not good enough for what we need.

I'll miss his run stuffing ability. But we need to get a better pass rush regardless. 9 sacks is not good enough for what we need.

Well I mean considering how bad the injury bug hit our d-line last season, we couldn't have asked for more. I expect big things from the guys we currently have on our roster.

John Schneider was on KJR Radio and said he played through it last season and that he is going to play with it again this season without surgery.

KJR-AM’s Mitch Levy had a lengthy interview with Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider this morning, touching on a wide range of topics.

Levy asked Schneider about Adam Schefter of ESPN’s report that recent addition defensive end Michael Bennett had a torn rotator cuff that he played with for the duration of the 2012 season while in Tampa.

Levy wondered if Bennett’s injury helped drive down his market value in free agency.

“It is true,” Schneider said. “Now, in terms of his market value, I can’t answer that. But I do know that he played every game.”

“With a torn rotator cuff?” asked Levy

“That’s my understanding,” Schneider said. “And it’s not a situation. Our medical staff felt comfortable with it, especially on a one-year deal. A lot of these guys have gone out – Dwight Freeney and Osi (Umenyiora) – a number of these guys are still on the market.

“And so when you saw this come out, it’s interesting that it came out on the same day that Elvis Dumervil signed his contract. So I’m not sure in the agent world that was a little bit of mudslinging that was going on, or whatever. But it just happened to come out that day, which was like a week and half after we signed Michael.”

Schneider went on to say at some point Bennett’s rotator cuff will need to be repaired, but that he will play with the injury this year, just as he did last year.

Levy also asked if the possibility of Matt Flynn remaining on Seattle’s 2013 is more likely as the team inches closer to training camp.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/03/26/john-schneider-on-kjr-michael-bennett-has-torn-rotator-cuff-but-will-not-have-surgery/#storylink=cpy[/Quote]

Bit surprised from what i have read you should get a torn rotator cuff fixed asap.

Edited by Sacks98