panfan4lyfe

Richard Sherman

Maybe I'm old school, but when someone feels the need to tell everyone how good they are I don't think they have serious confidence- I think they have serious insecurity.

What I don't like about him is that he doesn't have to tell anyone how good he is, but still does. I guess I just don't see the point.

Based off history, I would say Revis is better... but based off the 'now', it's hard to put anyone above Sherm. Revis could still come out and show he's still number one though.

I actually like the fact that he's so mouthy and just is super confident, no one can relate to Sherman with his confidence level because he is one of the top athletes in the world who has consistently shut down other top athletes in his first two years. I like the fact that he doesn't care what anyone thinks and that he ruffles every wr in the league because he abuses you every inch of the field. Plus he gets big time points for taking down that fake bum skip bayless on that crappy network

After this Twitter confrontation, Sherman went on ESPN's First Take and here's what he had to say..

So that leads me to ask.. who do you think is better? Or is it even a question at all? And what do you guys think of Sherman's interview?

Skip should've been like "Richard, I don't need stats to tell me Revis is better, I have eyes."

Skip should've been like "Richard, I don't need stats to tell me Revis is better, I have eyes."

Yeah, that's what happens when people just look at the raw numbers.

Have you went through and watched Sherman play? Not just one or two games. Revis was better 2 years ago but I can't honestly say revis is guaranteed to be better this year. I can say that Sherman is the more physical corner who makes every wr fight for every yard while revis is a more fluid athlete who doesn't have to be physical to be in the right position in man coverage

Have you went through and watched Sherman play? Not just one or two games. Revis was better 2 years ago but I can't honestly say revis is guaranteed to be better this year. I can say that Sherman is the more physical corner who makes every wr fight for every yard while revis is a more fluid athlete who doesn't have to be physical to be in the right position in man coverage

No one can except Revis, really. Who knows if hes the same player coming off that injury.

No one can except Revis, really. Who knows if hes the same player coming off that injury.

That's why I am saying right now Sherman is better. It's a pick your poison type of argument in which one is a cover 2 corner the other is a shutdown well rounded corner. Could Sherman do what revis has been asked to do in Rex Ryan's defense? Yes but not as good as revis and I don't think revis could do what Sherman is asked to do in Seattle's defense at the same level as Sherman. It's two sides of a coin

Great read: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/18/richard-sherman-introduction/

Looking forward to reading these throughout the season. :corn:

I play the game the right way. I play hard. I don’t take cheap shots. I never try to hurt anybody. And I respect people who respect me. It’s pretty simple. But if you don’t respect me, or if you doubt my ability, I’m not just going to sit there and swallow it. I’ll come at you. I know there are people out there—fans and other players—who say, “Just shut up and play.” But that’s not me. Never has been, never will be. I can’t make everyone out there happy.

Now, about my game: I think I’m the best cornerback in football. The tape shows it. My numbers put an exclamation point on it. Over the past two seasons, only one cornerback in the NFL has at least 10 interceptions (I have 12) and at least 32 passes defensed (I have 41). I’m not sure what else I can do to prove I’m the top corner in the game, but once you’re branded as a fifth-round pick, that sticks. Some people will never admit that a fifth-rounder is the best at his position.

But I’m going to keep proving it, just like my team. There aren’t many out there who really believe in me, or in the Seahawks, yet. But just watch. It’s going to be our year.

So... when Earl Thomas talks trash to Tom Brady and Brady responds back, he is 'disrespecting' Sherman and the Seahawks. But, when Sherman talks back, it's not a problem and he is just playing the game like it's supposed to be played.

laughter.gif

Sounds to me like Sherman is butthurt that he didn't get taken until the 5th round and people aren't considering him the best CB in the NFL after 2 seasons. What an asshat. Just play the damn game and stop whining about people 'disrespecting' you.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks
  • Upvote 1

Oh my gosh Richard, SHUT UP!!!

Nnamdi is overrated period.

Nnamdi is not now, nor was he ever—IMO—overrated. ATM, people are pretty much writing him off as an overpaid cash cow, which as of right now is the truth. Also, when he was in Oakland, he was every bit as good as the under-hyped reputation that he had.

Remember, it wasn't until his last season when NO ONE would throw at him that he finally got the recognition that he deserved. The fact that NFL QBs were so afraid to throw in his direction says it all to me. A lost of these guys—QB's— are ego-driven, testosterone fueled guys who think they can beat every defender and make every throw, and they wouldn't even think about tossing a ball toward Nnamdi.

A lot of people say it was all scheme or whatever, but even if it was: SO WHAT. A coach was coaching. Kudos to that man. He saw that he had a guy who could shut everyone down in said scheme and said fuck it: We'll do it live.

As to Sherman, as of right now he is better than a guy coming off of an ACL injury and hasn't played in a full season. Sherman is a monster, and his all-pro status is a testament to that fact. He's as big and physical as he is skilled and athletic.

I know Revis has reputation, but for now, that's all he's living off of. Before AP came back from his ACL blow-out BETTER than he was before, this was a pretty serious injury. If it wasn't for AP going all Madden 2012 on everyone, we'd still be expecting Revis to come back without a hitch because AP wasn't the only one to do what he did last year, though he was the only one to do it to that extent: Jamaal Charles says hi. :hiya:

Revis was the hands down best CB in the NFL before his injury, but while he was away a new kid hit the block, and he flooded it with talent. Even Joe Montana lost his spot due to injury. If it can happen to the GOAT, it can easily happen to the GOLY-greatest of last year

Even if Revis returns to form, there will be a debate. If he loses anything though—anything at all—Revis Island will be flattened by general Sherman.

Nnamdi is not now, nor was he ever—IMO—overrated. ATM, people are pretty much writing him off as an overpaid cash cow, which as of right now is the truth. Also, when he was in Oakland, he was every bit as good as the under-hyped reputation that he had.

Remember, it wasn't until his last season when NO ONE would throw at him that he finally got the recognition that he deserved. The fact that NFL QBs were so afraid to throw in his direction says it all to me. A lost of these guys—QB's— are ego-driven, testosterone fueled guys who think they can beat every defender and make every throw, and they wouldn't even think about tossing a ball toward Nnamdi.

A lot of people say it was all scheme or whatever, but even if it was: SO WHAT. A coach was coaching. Kudos to that man. He saw that he had a guy who could shut everyone down in said scheme and said fuck it: We'll do it live.

As to Sherman, as of right now he is better than a guy coming off of an ACL injury and hasn't played in a full season. Sherman is a monster, and his all-pro status is a testament to that fact. He's as big and physical as he is skilled and athletic.

I know Revis has reputation, but for now, that's all he's living off of. Before AP came back from his ACL blow-out BETTER than he was before, this was a pretty serious injury. If it wasn't for AP going all Madden 2012 on everyone, we'd still be expecting Revis to come back without a hitch because AP wasn't the only one to do what he did last year, though he was the only one to do it to that extent: Jamaal Charles says hi. :hiya:

Revis was the hands down best CB in the NFL before his injury, but while he was away a new kid hit the block, and he flooded it with talent. Even Joe Montana lost his spot due to injury. If it can happen to the GOAT, it can easily happen to the GOLY-greatest of last year

Even if Revis returns to form, there will be a debate. If he loses anything though—anything at all—Revis Island will be flattened by general Sherman.

Rivers would throw at him, and had success.

And it wasn't scheme. He was a man corner and was good at it. But rather it was playing almost exclusively the RCB spot (least targeted position in secondary on average) in a unit that fielded a lot of players that were much worse than him (i.e. why target Nnadmi when you can go after Routt?). Those things came together, IMO, to give a very good man corner the reputation of being the best in the league- which he wasn't. Thus good, but still overrated.

Maybe I'm old school, but when someone feels the need to tell everyone how good they are I don't think they have serious confidence- I think they have serious insecurity.

THAT'S old school. Sometimes, people actually MEAN what they say.

THAT'S old school. Sometimes, people actually MEAN what they say.

Bullshit. THAT'S annoying. People who really believe in their abilities don't feel the persistent need to tell everyone about it.

Bullshit. THAT'S annoying. People who really believe in their abilities don't feel the persistent need to tell everyone about it.

Lol. Yeah, some of them do. Hell, a lot of them do. Oodles of guys talk shit on the field. These guys are the best of the best. You don't think they believe that? If someone asks Sherman how he feels about something, he should just give the text-book answer? I'm all for honesty. You don't think Ali believed in his abilities?

Ray Lewis talked all kinds of shit, and he's "passionate." When Sherman does it he's a loudmouth? Deion Sanders was the best cornerback in football, and he'd be the first one to tell you that. You don't think he believed what he said? Was it just hot air that happened to be true? Deacon Jones called everyone out that challenged him... etc... There are countless examples of great players touting their greatness. I didn't make any of them less great.

Edited by B-isforBowe

Lol. Yeah, some of them do. Hell, a lot of them do. Oodles of guys talk shit on the field. These guys are the best of the best. You don't think they believe that? If someone asks Sherman how he feels about something, he should just give the text-book answer? I'm all for honesty. You don't think Ali believed in his abilities?

Ray Lewis talked all kinds of shit, and he's "passionate." When Sherman does it he's a loudmouth? Deion Sanders was the best cornerback in football, and he'd be the first one to tell you that. You don't think he believed what he said? Was it just hot air that happened to be true? Deacon Jones called everyone out that challenged him... etc... There are countless examples of great players touting their greatness. I didn't make any of them less great.

It doesn't make any of them lesser players/athletes. It just bothers me and smacks of insecurity. And this may seem arbitrary, but I see a difference between the guys who talk in the heat of a game, and the guys who repeatedly need to talk about themselves through the media throughout the offseason. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall hearing Ray Lewis crying to media outlets because some people thought Urlacher was better.

Edited by KempBolt

It doesn't make any of them lesser players/athletes. It just bothers me and smacks of insecurity. And this may seem arbitrary, but I see a difference between the guys who talk in the heat of a game, and the guys who repeatedly need to talk about themselves through the media throughout the offseason. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall hearing Ray Lewis crying to media outlets because some people thought Urlacher was better.

I don't really ever recall Sherman crying to the media either. The question was originally posed on NFLN, NFL AM I believe, because they knew he was an outspoken player and they might be able to get some headlines. They pretty much said as much right before the initial interview. Everyone else chimed in, and Sherman chimed back.

The whole Skip Bayless thing was a long time coming. He constantly blows players out with sloppy journalism geared to sensationalize himself and then back-peddles and kisses ass when they get in front of him, and Sherman called him out on it. Go Richard.

I respect a guy who answers a question honestly, whether it's what he's supposed to say or not. If you watch most interviews closely, they usually pose the question as, "not including yourself, who do think the best _______ in the game is?" For Sherman, they didn't do that. They baited him, and he took the bait willingly. Then he didn't back down when people gave him shit about it. I respect that.

I'm just not a believer that interceptions and passes defensed is what determines you to be the best cornerback in football. I mean, yes, they are awesome stats to stack up and achieve. It certainly takes a great player to do what he has done, I'm not arguing that one bit. However, if he is so good, why are they still throwing the ball his way so much? Obviously there are some flaws in his game somewhere that are still allowing quarterbacks to make plays against Sherman.

You can argue that it's because Sherman is always on the other teams #1 receiver so the quarterback is going to throw there, but that's not the case. We've seen in the past where Quarterbacks, perhaps even this season (We'll see), don't even want to throw Revis' way no matter who they have over there. We even saw it with Nnamdi when he was playing at the top of his game.

I've even heard the argument on this subject that it's because the Seahawks have a great corner in Brandon Browner on the other side of Sherman as well, I don't buy it. Brandon Browner has produced in situations when quarterbacks have been shy towards Shermans side of the field, and has played like garbage other times. He's hit or miss, I know I keep repeating that point on these forums so I apologize but its the truth.

Richard Sherman is clearly a top 3 or 4 corner in the league right now at the level he is playing. Is he really the best in the game though? I just don't think that if he was a "shut down" corner like he always claims quarterbacks would throw his way as much as they really do. Or at least, it appears to me that they do. Definitely curious on what your guys' thoughts are on this opinion of mine. It's purely an assumption to this point, I haven't looked at any pass attempt numbers on Richard Sherman/Brandon Browner yet.

I'm just not a believer that interceptions and passes defensed is what determines you to be the best cornerback in football. I mean, yes, they are awesome stats to stack up and achieve. It certainly takes a great player to do what he has done, I'm not arguing that one bit. However, if he is so good, why are they still throwing the ball his way so much? Obviously there are some flaws in his game somewhere that are still allowing quarterbacks to make plays against Sherman.

You can argue that it's because Sherman is always on the other teams #1 receiver so the quarterback is going to throw there, but that's not the case. We've seen in the past where Quarterbacks, perhaps even this season (We'll see), don't even want to throw Revis' way no matter who they have over there. We even saw it with Nnamdi when he was playing at the top of his game.

I've even heard the argument on this subject that it's because the Seahawks have a great corner in Brandon Browner on the other side of Sherman as well, I don't buy it. Brandon Browner has produced in situations when quarterbacks have been shy towards Shermans side of the field, and has played like garbage other times. He's hit or miss, I know I keep repeating that point on these forums so I apologize but its the truth.

Richard Sherman is clearly a top 3 or 4 corner in the league right now at the level he is playing. Is he really the best in the game though? I just don't think that if he was a "shut down" corner like he always claims quarterbacks would throw his way as much as they really do. Or at least, it appears to me that they do. Definitely curious on what your guys' thoughts are on this opinion of mine. It's purely an assumption to this point, I haven't looked at any pass attempt numbers on Richard Sherman/Brandon Browner yet.

I'd say it's probably got something to do with the fact that, as Sherman's detractors love to throw out there, last year was his first season as a full-time starter. QB's are gonna throw at a guy until experience tells them not to. People didn't avoid Revis or Nnamdi or, hell, even Deion right off the bat. That is a behavior that is learned over time through experience and reputation.

I'm curious to see what happens this season. My guess is that some QB's will shy away, while others will try everything they can to upstage the cocky, loudmouthed kid who has been "running his mouth" all off-season—parentheses because I personally feel that is a matter of opinion. If he steps up to the challenge, Browner might get more work than he ever imagined.

• Upvote 1

I don't really ever recall Sherman crying to the media either. The question was originally posed on NFLN, NFL AM I believe, because they knew he was an outspoken player and they might be able to get some headlines. They pretty much said as much right before the initial interview. Everyone else chimed in, and Sherman chimed back.

The whole Skip Bayless thing was a long time coming. He constantly blows players out with sloppy journalism geared to sensationalize himself and then back-peddles and kisses ass when they get in front of him, and Sherman called him out on it. Go Richard.

I respect a guy who answers a question honestly, whether it's what he's supposed to say or not. If you watch most interviews closely, they usually pose the question as, "not including yourself, who do think the best _______ in the game is?" For Sherman, they didn't do that. They baited him, and he took the bait willingly. Then he didn't back down when people gave him shit about it. I respect that.

We have vastly different perceptions of how Sherman has been carrying himself this offseason. I have the utmost respect for how he plays football, and next to none for the way he acts in the media.

We have vastly different perceptions of how Sherman has been carrying himself this offseason. I have the utmost respect for how he plays football, and next to none for the way he acts in the media.

And I can respect that too. Brash isn't for everybody. At least we finally found something we can agree on though. The kid is a stud.

And I can respect that too. Brash isn't for everybody. At least we finally found something we can agree on though. The kid is a stud.

Who? Rivers? :troll:

Edited by KempBolt

I'd say it's probably got something to do with the fact that, as Sherman's detractors love to throw out there, last year was his first season as a full-time starter. QB's are gonna throw at a guy until experience tells them not to. People didn't avoid Revis or Nnamdi or, hell, even Deion right off the bat. That is a behavior that is learned over time through experience and reputation.

I'm curious to see what happens this season. My guess is that some QB's will shy away, while others will try everything they can to upstage the cocky, loudmouthed kid who has been "running his mouth" all off-season—parentheses because I personally feel that is a matter of opinion. If he steps up to the challenge, Browner might get more work than he ever imagined.

Yeah, I know what you're saying there and it makes sense. Perhaps then another aspect of my point could also be that there just isn't enough to the body of work that he has established thus far to name him the best corner in football. I don't think he's near as good as Revis was (Or is) when he was establishing himself as a shut down corner. That could all be a matter of opinion though I guess.

I also think that Browner is going to get a pretty huge body of work this year, or at least more so than last year. Browner may have another year with a solid number of interceptions again, but that's because he does possess the ball skills of an upper tier corner. The problem though is that the guy is hit or miss in coverage. Either he's on or he's way off. There's no consistency in Browners play from what I have noticed, at least not to this point there isn't. I don't know that QBs will shy away from Shermans side of the field when they have a top tier wide receiver, which is what makes me very hesitant to consider Sherman the best. That's all I'm saying. The best corner in the NFL should be able to make quarterbacks fear throwing to their big time wide receivers in the #1 spot.

As far as Sherman being a loud mouth, I suppose it kind of grows on you. While people don't mind if a guy is confident, I don't think there are many people that really enjoy listening to a guy who is so confident that he is cocky majority of the time. If Sherman were to go out and just tell everyone they can't throw on him and things like that, I don't think the media/fans would make a big deal of it all. The way he bashes other players and quarterbacks though, that's what is causing the uproar. At the end of the day all it will take is Shermans play to falter for a week or two, and everyone will be smashing him big time. I suppose if he can back it up, I don't care. I do think that if he's going to talk trash, he should be ready for it to be dished back at him by receivers and quarterbacks. My biggest problem is that he complained about guys trash talking back during games, but didn't have a problem dishing it out.

Actually, I saw a comparison of Sherman's 2012 and Revis' 2011 and their targets were near identical.

Yeah, I know what you're saying there and it makes sense. Perhaps then another aspect of my point could also be that there just isn't enough to the body of work that he has established thus far to name him the best corner in football. I don't think he's near as good as Revis was (Or is) when he was establishing himself as a shut down corner. That could all be a matter of opinion though I guess.

I also think that Browner is going to get a pretty huge body of work this year, or at least more so than last year. Browner may have another year with a solid number of interceptions again, but that's because he does possess the ball skills of an upper tier corner. The problem though is that the guy is hit or miss in coverage. Either he's on or he's way off. There's no consistency in Browners play from what I have noticed, at least not to this point there isn't. I don't know that QBs will shy away from Shermans side of the field when they have a top tier wide receiver, which is what makes me very hesitant to consider Sherman the best. That's all I'm saying. The best corner in the NFL should be able to make quarterbacks fear throwing to their big time wide receivers in the #1 spot.

As far as Sherman being a loud mouth, I suppose it kind of grows on you. While people don't mind if a guy is confident, I don't think there are many people that really enjoy listening to a guy who is so confident that he is cocky majority of the time. If Sherman were to go out and just tell everyone they can't throw on him and things like that, I don't think the media/fans would make a big deal of it all. The way he bashes other players and quarterbacks though, that's what is causing the uproar. At the end of the day all it will take is Shermans play to falter for a week or two, and everyone will be smashing him big time. I suppose if he can back it up, I don't care. I do think that if he's going to talk trash, he should be ready for it to be dished back at him by receivers and quarterbacks. My biggest problem is that he complained about guys trash talking back during games, but didn't have a problem dishing it out.

I hear what you're saying, but the fact is he was an all-pro, not just a pro bowler. That's a very big honor not to be taken likely. As far as awards go, that's pretty much as big as it gets short of MVP and DPOY, two things CB's rarely get credited with, if ever. It really doesn't matter if we consider him the best, because the NFL community already has-at least for last season.

Revis is still "the best," but as I said before, that's based on reputation atm. Sherman's title is based on what he's "done for me lately," so to speak.

Yeah, he's gonna get attacked, and any time he falters on Sunday, he's gonna get drubbed on Monday. It's the nature of the beast, and he's got no one to blame for that but himself. Still, I'm pretty sure he's aware of the can of worms he's opened, and he's gonna be ready for it.