Sign in to follow this  
Mathias

Floyd Mayweather, Canelo Talks Underway

Just a few days removed from welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s dismantling of interim titleholder Robert Guerrero on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com on Thursday that he already is working on Mayweather's next fight.

Schaefer said he is hopeful of finalizing a fight between Mayweather, the pound-for-pound king, and unified junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, a match that looms as one of the biggest in boxing.

Rafael's Boxing Blog

Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"I am working on the fight," Schaefer said. "I'm crunching the numbers. You should see my calculator -- it's red-hot. I am working on a lot of fights, but this is my No. 1 priority."

Schaefer, who promotes Alvarez and works with the 36-year-old Mayweather (44-0, 26 KOs) on a fight-by-fight basis -- but has promoted all seven of his fights since 2007 -- wants to make the fight.

"This is something I am pursuing and I am having conversations with both sides," Schaefer said. "Canelo wants the fight and Floyd has never turned down an opponent."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9259942/talks-underway-floyd-money-mayweather-jr-face-saul-canelo-alvarez

Even with Paq going down, I'd still love to see him go up against Mayweather.

I think most people do. The fight would suck, but Floyd would win handily and take home a boat loads of cash.

Canelo improved on his defense in his last fight, but I dunno why he'd want to fight PBF this early in his career. Payday, maybe?

PBF would school Canelo en route to another UD, IMO.

I'll be rooting for Canelo if/when this happens, but it will probably be another blowout in Floyd's favor.

Even with his recent losses, I'd still rather watch Pac-PBF because their styles are soooo different.

Edited by BLUE

Done deal pussies. Sept 14th at the MGM Grand on Shotime PPV.

Finally, a fucking Super Fight.

I don't expect much of a fight. It will probably be another UD by PBF.

Another sacrificial lamb for Floyd. I cant stand floyd for ducking pac so long

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--floyd-mayweather-jr-canelo-alvarez-risky-fight-054502140.html

You're an idiot and not much of a boxing fan if you think Alvarez is a sacrificial lamb. At this point in his career Pac would be much closer to a lamb than a young Alvarez. This is probably his most difficult matchup since De La Hoya.

• Downvote 1

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--floyd-mayweather-jr-canelo-alvarez-risky-fight-054502140.html

You're an idiot and not much of a boxing fan if you think Alvarez is a sacrificial lamb. At this point in his career Pac would be much closer to a lamb than a young Alvarez. This is probably his most difficult matchup since De La Hoya.

Canelo is a slugger and, even though he'll be close to 170 for the fight, doesn't have the stamina and skills to keep up with Floyd for 12 rounds. He had to take rounds off against Austin Trout, who gave him a decent fight. He can't do that against PBF.

Canelo's best bet is to land a heavy shot or two early that hurts PBF, otherwise he'll just get schooled when PBF settles in.

I'm a HUGE boxing fan, and I don't think Ngata is really wrong.

I hope I'm wrong, though, because I can't stand PBF, but this should be another UD for him, IMO.

Edited by BLUE

Canelo is a slugger and, even though he'll be close to 170 for the fight, doesn't have the stamina and skills to keep up with Floyd for 12 rounds. He had to take rounds off against Austin Trout, who gave him a decent fight. He can't do that against PBF.

Canelo's best bet is to land a heavy shot or two early that hurts PBF, otherwise he'll just get schooled when PBF settles in.

I'm a HUGE boxing fan, and I don't think Ngata is really wrong.

I hope I'm wrong, though, because I can't stand PBF, but this should be another UD for him, IMO.

No way he's anything close to 170, The contract restricts the weight to 152. If Floyd gets settled in against anyone, the fight is over, hence why he is the best P4P fighter in the world. Pac is probably done if he loses to Rios and at this point Canelo is the much more difficult fight due to the age gap and power than Canelo packs. He has won almost 80% of his fights via knockout. That guy is no joke. Even Vegas is opening this at less than 2 to 1, which is unheard of for a Floyd fight.

Edited by jagsfreak27
  • Downvote 1

Haha who the fuck are you trying to kid child ? Dont dare tell me what the fuck I know about boxing. I have been watching boxing for about 2 decades now and have probably forgotten more than your fanboy ass knows.

You have already shown the kind of idiot you are because while the catchweight is at 152 there is nothing stopping alvarez from putting the weight back on as soon the wighing are over and walking in their at around 160 to 165. So yeah he may win the early rounds but sluggers have this nassty tendency to try to end fights earlier and not stay patient and set up knockout shots with lead jabs and counter and combinations to set up their power shots.

A dude like Alvarez knows that he cannot keep pace with a much smaller and more agile fighter who is a ring expert when it comes to closing off the ring and trying to trap the guys power leg by using angles to make sure he is constantly shifting his weight around so he cant plant to set up any devastating shots. Mayweather will sit in his south philly defense and tire him out through my guess is the first 4 rounds make the guy miss and then counter punch while Alvarez tries to extend himself.

Also that kind of cut usually takes a little something off of a fighter which is why they put the weight back on so that they can get the power since they usually wont have the stamina.

As to Pac he is smaller and still a powerful hitter so he could actually probably go 12 rounds at an intense pace than the bigger fighter.

Next time you step to someone and act like you can tell them something about the fight game sit down shut up and listen to the grown folks talk. To think you came in here insulting people when you have no idea what they know shows who the real idiot is. :gtfo: kid.

Haha who the fuck are you trying to kid child ? Dont dare tell me what the fuck I know about boxing. I have been watching boxing for about 2 decades now and have probably forgotten more than your fanboy ass knows.

You have already shown the kind of idiot you are because while the catchweight is at 152 there is nothing stopping alvarez from putting the weight back on as soon the wighing are over and walking in their at around 160 to 165. So yeah he may win the early rounds but sluggers have this nassty tendency to try to end fights earlier and not stay patient and set up knockout shots with lead jabs and counter and combinations to set up their power shots.

A dude like Alvarez knows that he cannot keep pace with a much smaller and more agile fighter who is a ring expert when it comes to closing off the ring and trying to trap the guys power leg by using angles to make sure he is constantly shifting his weight around so he cant plant to set up any devastating shots. Mayweather will sit in his south philly defense and tire him out through my guess is the first 4 rounds make the guy miss and then counter punch while Alvarez tries to extend himself.

Also that kind of cut usually takes a little something off of a fighter which is why they put the weight back on so that they can get the power since they usually wont have the stamina.

As to Pac he is smaller and still a powerful hitter so he could actually probably go 12 rounds at an intense pace than the bigger fighter.

Next time you step to someone and act like you can tell them something about the fight game sit down shut up and listen to the grown folks talk. To think you came in here insulting people when you have no idea what they know shows who the real idiot is. :gtfo: kid.

Morton-Salt.jpg

Get out of here scrub! You're obviously the fanboy if you think that Pac belongs in the same ring with Floyd OR Alvarez at this point in his career. He's literally one loss away from running back to the Philippines and becoming a full time politician (that is if he can get his ass off the canvas). No need to get your panties in a wad and try and flex by saying some obvious shit. Floyd is slippery and that's why no technician is going to beat him at his own game. He struggles the most against bigger fighters, which can be illustrated early on in the Mosley fight. Granted, once he gets in his groove and starts counter-punching it's over for any opponent, but I give Floyd credit for fighting a man 13 years younger than him, who hits a lot harder than him when he could have taken on some scrub like Khan and laughed all the way to the bank.

mayweather-money.gif

Edited by jagsfreak27

Ha so obvious apparently you dont remember the Floyd/Ricky Hatton fight where that power puncher got caught witha check hook and sent his ass into the post.

You say by saying some obvious shit that you apparently did not know because your rebuttal includes nothing about boxing but berating Manny. You sure got me. You said nothing of consequence other than this guy does not belong and such.

You neither mention anything about Alvarez or mayweather except for him getting in his groove.

And big fighters give him problems EARLY, once he finds his range though he out scores them because he is an out fighter who doubles as an in fighter who is going against a brawler. Stylistically this is horrible for Alvarez.

Your boxing knowledge is not impressive (or at lest that which you have shown). If you want to talk boxing fine, but dont come in here with this "you know nothing" shit when I have put out more boxing science than you have.

Ha so obvious apparently you dont remember the Floyd/Ricky Hatton fight where that power puncher got caught witha check hook and sent his ass into the post.

You say by saying some obvious shit that you apparently did not know because your rebuttal includes nothing about boxing but berating Manny. You sure got me. You said nothing of consequence other than this guy does not belong and such.

You neither mention anything about Alvarez or mayweather except for him getting in his groove.

And big fighters give him problems EARLY, once he finds his range though he out scores them because he is an out fighter who doubles as an in fighter who is going against a brawler. Stylistically this is horrible for Alvarez.

Your boxing knowledge is not impressive (or at lest that which you have shown). If you want to talk boxing fine, but dont come in here with this "you know nothing" shit when I have put out more boxing science than you have.

Yeah, he frustrated the shit out of Hatton, but Ricky was a weak minded little shit and while I think Alvarez is a worthy comparison when comparing styles, the age difference between the two won't allow him to tire or get a frustrated as quickly as Hatton did, plus I'd argue that Alvarez is a lot better than Hatton, but that's really just based off of personal opinion. Regardless, this is the fight that most boxing heads wanted to see and it is the fight that will be delivered. Saying that Floyd is "ducking" Pac at this stage of his career is laughable and arguing that Alvarez will be a lamb props Floyd up as a fighter a lot more than it says bad about Alvarez. If you don't want to have your knowledge questioned then don't make stupid posts about Floyd ducking when he did the exact opposite. Everyone is the boxing community is giving him props, you should give the article I linked a read. From his perspective, even if he fights Pac now, he would destroy him and everyone will say "well he didn't fight him in his prime". He will prove a lot more by beating Canelo. If Pac is lucky he will eek out a win over Rios and pray that he can finally have another shot at his payday against Floyd. Of course at this point he must be willing to accept whatever conditions Floyd throws at him.

Also YES bigger fighters give him problems early, but I'd take a threat of an early knockout over Floyd coasting from about the third round on like he has done every fight since De La Hoya (arguably not against Mosley either).

Yeah, he frustrated the shit out of Hatton, but Ricky was a weak minded little shit and while I think Alvarez is a worthy comparison when comparing styles, the age difference between the two won't allow him to tire or get a frustrated as quickly as Hatton did, plus I'd argue that Alvarez is a lot better than Hatton, but that's really just based off of personal opinion. Regardless, this is the fight that most boxing heads wanted to see and it is the fight that will be delivered. Saying that Floyd is "ducking" Pac at this stage of his career is laughable and arguing that Alvarez will be a lamb props Floyd up as a fighter a lot more than it says bad about Alvarez. If you don't want to have your knowledge questioned then don't make stupid posts about Floyd ducking when he did the exact opposite. Everyone is the boxing community is giving him props, you should give the article I linked a read. From his perspective, even if he fights Pac now, he would destroy him and everyone will say "well he didn't fight him in his prime". He will prove a lot more by beating Canelo. If Pac is lucky he will eek out a win over Rios and pray that he can finally have another shot at his payday against Floyd. Of course at this point he must be willing to accept whatever conditions Floyd throws at him.

Yeah he would get manny now, but when manny was in his prime he ducked him. his first retirement when Manny was going on a tear he likely could have gotten the biggest purse in his career or at least one of them. That fight had insane hype and when asked he said he had nothing to prove. Which I guess could be true but he still ducked his ass. Then a little known fact is Manny actually agreed to previous conditions of the fight and then Floyd's cam demanded a change. Pas said he would do everything required such as drug testing IMMEDIATELY after the fight in his lockerroom done by an olympic testing committee (original terms) Than MM moved it to before the fight knowing manny's fear of needles and Manny said no, so the fight was canceled. Now Manny is not what he once was which is due to his rep as a slugger and a swarmer which is not conducive to longer careers. It does not change what happened earlier.

Ricky Hatton was also a bad ass when before he retired, his comeback tour marred what people thought of him. And even at that Arturo Gotti was one of the toughest sons of bitches to ever get in the ring and was definitely a bralwer but Floyd compuboxed his ass to death and letting Gotti only landing something like 10 or 15 shots or some shit.

As to Alvarez he is not a top 10 p4p fighter in the world by mosts ranking and he is taking on number one. I would agree that normally he would have a few advantages over the smaller fighters, but not in this case. I have hated floyd for years but you cant deny his game. As Alvarez will find out just watching the guy does not give you a great depiction of what his speed and in ring elusiveness is. The ghost was supposed to have the same kind of game and won maybe two rounds within the while fight. Alvarez is not on the ghosts level as far as movement skills even though golden boy cats tend to have great footwork. His is still good but it was not on par with Guerrero's whereas Guerrero's power was not where Canelo's is. The problem will be the same thing that is always the problem with dudes like this. He will be looking to take floyd out of his game by landing a ton of power shots in the first to keep floyd at bay and not really getting his confidence up to its usual astronomical heights. Canelo to win is going to have to take it easy on his power and set it up with jabs and then work his uppercuts being the bigger fighter which will have to be his power shots but setting them up with jabs and crosses is going to be a tricky proposition since floyd is almost impossible to hit in the first few rounds. After that they may land but he will be tired.

This is a shitty fight for Canelo as far as styles, but it is his huge payday so I cant blame him for taking it.

Yeah he would get manny now, but when manny was in his prime he ducked him. his first retirement when Manny was going on a tear he likely could have gotten the biggest purse in his career or at least one of them. That fight had insane hype and when asked he said he had nothing to prove. Which I guess could be true but he still ducked his ass. Then a little known fact is Manny actually agreed to previous conditions of the fight and then Floyd's cam demanded a change. Pas said he would do everything required such as drug testing IMMEDIATELY after the fight in his lockerroom done by an olympic testing committee (original terms) Than MM moved it to before the fight knowing manny's fear of needles and Manny said no, so the fight was canceled. Now Manny is not what he once was which is due to his rep as a slugger and a swarmer which is not conducive to longer careers. It does not change what happened earlier.

Ricky Hatton was also a bad ass when before he retired, his comeback tour marred what people thought of him. And even at that Arturo Gotti was one of the toughest sons of bitches to ever get in the ring and was definitely a bralwer but Floyd compuboxed his ass to death and letting Gotti only landing something like 10 or 15 shots or some shit.

As to Alvarez he is not a top 10 p4p fighter in the world by mosts ranking and he is taking on number one. I would agree that normally he would have a few advantages over the smaller fighters, but not in this case. I have hated floyd for years but you cant deny his game. As Alvarez will find out just watching the guy does not give you a great depiction of what his speed and in ring elusiveness is. The ghost was supposed to have the same kind of game and won maybe two rounds within the while fight. Alvarez is not on the ghosts level as far as movement skills even though golden boy cats tend to have great footwork. His is still good but it was not on par with Guerrero's whereas Guerrero's power was not where Canelo's is. The problem will be the same thing that is always the problem with dudes like this. He will be looking to take floyd out of his game by landing a ton of power shots in the first to keep floyd at bay and not really getting his confidence up to its usual astronomical heights. Canelo to win is going to have to take it easy on his power and set it up with jabs and then work his uppercuts being the bigger fighter which will have to be his power shots but setting them up with jabs and crosses is going to be a tricky proposition since floyd is almost impossible to hit in the first few rounds. After that they may land but he will be tired.

This is a shitty fight for Canelo as far as styles, but it is his huge payday so I cant blame him for taking it.

Great, so you conceited your original point. Mayweather at this stage isn't ducking shit. As a boxing fan of two decades, I'm sure you yourself know that politics is largely in play and the largest factor in the non fight was Arum and the money split. Arum doesn't want any of his fighters going near Mayweather (Golden Boy) due to their bad blood and he made personally sure (Bradley fix) that it was never going to happen. Also quite frankly nobody could give two shits about Pac, they pay money to watch Floyd and the cut should reflect that. Floyd never ducked that weak little SOB, that was just a fight that was never going to happen.

Edited by jagsfreak27

I didnt say he was still ducking him, I said ducking him for so long, which he did. I conceded nothing.

And circa 2009 Manny would have been just as good of a draw as Floyd. That fight would have been the equivalent of what Jon Jones and Anderson Silva would be. The aging legend versus the seemingly unstoppable opponent.

I am well aware of the politics which is why it is impossible for floyd and his camp to say that Manny did not agree to terms because he did, his camp killed the fight and they know it.

No way he's anything close to 170, The contract restricts the weight to 152. If Floyd gets settled in against anyone, the fight is over, hence why he is the best P4P fighter in the world. Pac is probably done if he loses to Rios and at this point Canelo is the much more difficult fight due to the age gap and power than Canelo packs. He has won almost 80% of his fights via knockout. That guy is no joke. Even Vegas is opening this at less than 2 to 1, which is unheard of for a Floyd fight.

I meant closer to 170 ON FIGHT NIGHT. It's been reported that after he's done hydrating after weigh-ins, he's closer to 170 when he enters the ring.

Ellerbe said there are no other weight restrictions, such as a weight check on the day of the fight, a possible concern for Mayweather because of how much weight Alvarez typically packs on after the official Friday afternoon weigh-in. With more than 24 hours between the weigh-in and the fight, Alvarez could enter the ring as heavy as 170 pounds; Mayweather probably won't gain more than a few pounds.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9323856/floyd-mayweather-jr-fight-canelo-alvarez-sept-14

I think Canelo is definitely Mayweather's toughest test since De La Hoya. He got by the best 154 lb fighter in the world in Austin Trout. Though I had it 115-113 for Trout, it was still a test to see if Canelo really belonged in the conversation or not. Much props for taking that fight.

I'd rather see Broner-Mayweather than Pacquaio-Mayweather any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I meant closer to 170 ON FIGHT NIGHT. It's been reported that after he's done hydrating after weigh-ins, he's closer to 170 when he enters the ring.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9323856/floyd-mayweather-jr-fight-canelo-alvarez-sept-14

He won't be 170. It's impossible to gain 20 pounds in that short a time period. 160 MAYBE.

It was widely reported that he was 170-172 lbs when he fought Austin Trout.

Just to add to that, here is a screenshot of his weight after re-hydrating before entering the ring against Trout:

35jm3uq.jpg

Now what was your ass saying ? Dude got schooled, now shut the hell up and go back to the drawing board with your simple ass.

Edited by Ngata_Chance
  • Upvote 2