Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Eagles State of the Franchise 2013

Chip Kelly slowing down Philadelphia Eagles' tempo

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208483/article/chip-kelly-slowing-down-philadelphia-eagles-tempo

It's no secret that Chip Kelly's Philadelphia Eagles plan to move fast.

But quarterback Michael Vick says the coach recently told his players they're moving too rapidly for their own good.

"It was very difficult for us as a team at first because we just felt like we had to do everything so fast," Vick told WTXF-TV on Monday, via PhillyMag.com. "And it took for Chip to call us into the auditorium in a team meeting to say, 'Listen, everybody relax and slow down.'

"You have to slow it down if you aren't doing it right. You can't be doing it at a fast pace and doing it wrong. Then it's time to slow down and teach."

Local media have noticed a less-frenzied tempo in recent practices, and that lines up with the heavy amount of instruction being doled out.

"We're really starting to pile on now," Kelly said. "And especially for some of the these young guys that piling on process ... I think you can hit a wall a little bit, but they've got to fight their way through it."

Another endurance test for Vick? Being asked endlessly about a quarterback competition that -- along with Vick -- includes Nick Foles, rookie Matt Barkley and projects Dennis Dixon and G.J. Kinne.

"Yeah, it annoys me," Vick said. "It's very annoying. But you know what? Right now I'm focusing on being the best person, the best quarterback on the field I can be.

"And that's going to take being resilient after throwing an incomplete pass, being resilient when things aren't going so well. How can you come back from it?"

From what we've seen of Vick in recent days, that's a relevant question, indeed.

Well, this can't be a good thing. If they are slowing it down it's because the players aren't getting the mental part of the game down pact or getting tired physically tired. The speed will eventually come but it's more important to understand the material. I guess a good thing is that they coaches got a lot of reps out of the guys and will have a good amount of film on them from OTA's. I guess that can help them move forward. I wonder though is it really because the coaches are moving to fast or certain players just failing to pick it up? Either way, it's the coaches job to fix. I'll be watching closely at our next practice.

Edited by dutchff7

Kenny Phillips back at practice, knee feeling good

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/6/4/4396218/kenny-phillips-back-at-practice-knee-feeling-good

The former Giant says he held himself out of OTAs last week just to be careful.

It was reported this time last week that safety Kenny Phillips was held out of practice due to some issue with his knee. This was particularly significant given all the troubles Phillips has had with his knees in his career so far.

However, Phillips was back on the field this week as the team kicked off its mandatory minicamp. Speaking to PE.com, Phillips says that he didn't suffer a setback and that his rest last week was planned.

"I had a few days off and I feel good," Phillips said. "This is something I've been doing the last two years and I'm not going to change it. Even though I feel good, I want to be smart. We get a lot of reps out here every day and to get out there and keep running and running and running ... I'm not going to push it. I know what works for my knee so that I'm good for training camp and the season."

As we've said a few times over the last week, these are voluntary practices and there's little reason for Phillips to be risking anything just to be a part of them. If he feels that scheduling some rest at certain points during the offseason will help manage his knees and keep himself healthy, then I think we're all in full support of that.

This is quite relieving and I agree with the first call. No reason to risk an injury with voluntary OTA's. Hopefully he can stay healthy because when he is healthy, he's a pretty good safety.

Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots will practice together

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/6/4/4395392/philadelphia-eagles-and-new-england-patriots-will-practice-together?login=1370416652

Chip Kelly & Bill Belichick will bring their squads together this August for a series of joint practices in Philadelphia.

The Eagles will play the New England Patriots as part of their preseason schedule on August 9th. However, for the first time since 1998, they will also hold joint practices with the Patriots on August 6 and 7th.

Joint practices are nothing new around the league, but it's not something Andy Reid ever did. Given Chip Kelly and Bill Belichick's previous relationship and the fact that they're going to run somewhat similar systems, it does make sense for the teams to work against one another in practice.

Chip Kelly said today that it was Belichick who approached him about having the joint practices.

The Patriots had great success with an uptempo, no huddle offense based in large part on what Kelly did at Oregon. In fact, Bill Belichick famously invited Kelly to Patriots camp to consult with him on the offense.

As Belichick has borrowed from Kelly, the exchange looks to be going the other way as well with Kelly looking to feature the multiple TE sets the Pats have been so successful with.

Bob Grotz pointed out that the last practice the Eagles held with another team was back in 1998 when the Bills visited them at Lehigh.

The meeting of the minds... I like it. Belichick consulted Kelly about his up tempo offense he had in Oregon and has translated that to the NFL flawlessly. Kelly will without a doubt will learn something from this get together and who better than from Belichick? The Patriots are also coming to our house... I would die to be able to make it to that practice. Practicing against New England will help a lot in trying to evaluate our own talent. Can't wait.

Edited by dutchff7

Eagles Minicamp: Michael Vick has rough day

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2013/06/eagles_minicamp_michael_vick_h.html

Michael Vick's had better days on a football field than Wednesday. He threw two interceptions in an Eagles practice where many of the passes were of the shorter/screen-type variety.

His competition, Nick Foles, threw none. Foles, who took the initial snaps with the first team on Wednesday, had a strong day throwing the football and commanding the Eagles' offense in the second-to-last practice of the offseason. Minicamp ends on Thursday afternoon. The Eagles won't reconvene until training camp in late July.

The numbers from Wednesday's practice aren't everything, but they pretty much speak for themselves. Vick had two turnovers. He also fumbled when the media attended OTAs last week. It's these miscues that could greatly affect Chip Kelly's decision on his starting quarterback.

Micheal Vick- 33 reps (17 first team) 14 of 22 with TD and 2 INTs

Nick Foles- 37 reps (22 first team) 23 of 26 with 1 TD

Matt Barkley- 24 reps (24 third team) 12 of 16 with 2 TDs.

Kelly said his quarterback choice will ultimately come down to who can move the team best. That's the most important factor according to the Eagles coach. He then threw in a few caveats, among them how each quarterback secures the football and whether or not they turn the ball over. That's where Vick must improve if he's going to earn the full trust of the new coaching staff.

Vick's first interception came when Nate Allen stepped in front of a mid-range pass down the middle of the field. The second came on a screen pass late in practice that defensive end Vinny Curry plucked out of midair. It wasn't one of Vick's better days. Ironically, it came on the heels of a strong practice the prior day.

Turnovers have been Vick's Achilles heel for much of his career. They derailed the Eagles and him for much of the past two years. Vick had 15 turnovers in 10 games last season. He had 18 in 13 games in 2011.

Throwing interceptions in a June practice isn't going to doom Vick's chances of being the starting quarterback. But it isn't going to help his case, especially when Foles commands the offense like he did on Wednesday afternoon.

Other practice nuggets:

• Clifton Geathers played some at nose tackle with Isaac Sopoaga tending to a family matter. It's a position Geathers (6-foot-8, 340 pounds) has played sporadically with the Colts and Cowboys. If Geathers proves capable it could spell trouble for Antonio Dixon. Cedric Thronton (6-foot-4, 310 pounds) also said he's worked in some at nose tackle.

• The Eagles practiced kickoff returns on Wednesday. Returning kicks were Damaris Johnson, Brandon Boykin, Felix Jones, Riley Cooper, Russell Shepard and Nick Miller. Jones looked much more comfortable returning kicks than punts.

• Safety Kenny Phillips was running pretty well in the secondary after sitting out as a precaution last week. Phillips and the Eagles continue to insist that they are saving the veteran safety for training and the regular season. Phillips had microfracture surgery on his knee in 2009 and struggled with knee problems last year.

Just an update on today's practice. It appears Vick had a rough day with turnovers. His last two years have been plagued with turnovers and it seems he's not slowing it down. He threw 2 INTs today and fumbled last week when the media attended our OTA's. No matter how dynamic Vick may be, the turnovers are just unacceptable. He turned the ball over 15 times in only 9 games last year and managed to have a turnover in 7 of those games. I believe we were -24 in turn over ratio. You can't win ball games like that. However, it's too early to throw anyone under the dog house just yet. We still have more camp to go through and preseason games. Turnovers have been Vick's bane and if he wants any chance to start, he has to stop turning the ball over. On another note, Foles has been looking good so far. He has also had more first team reps than Vick for several practices now. It's still too early to indicate if that really means anything at this point in time but still note worthy.

Edited by dutchff7

Bennie Logan Signs Four-Year Deal

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Bennie-Logan-Signs-Four-Year-Deal/de478c1f-8c44-425b-a24c-e2557af21b14

Third-round pick Bennie Logan signed a four-year deal with the Eagles, the team announced on Thursday.

The defensive lineman out of LSU has been in Philadelphia taking part of the team's offseason activities since he was drafted by the team with the 67th overall selection in April's NFL Draft. Logan, 6-2, 309, is a versatile defensive lineman who has played several positions along the line this spring.

Logan is the sixth of the team's eight draft picks to have signed his contract, leaving only first-round pick Lane Johnson and fourth-rounder Matt Barkley.

Edited by dutchff7

Eagles Make Scouting Dept. Changes

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagles-Make-Scouting-Dept-Changes/5a2bb51e-0a80-4967-9a64-e8d371e95b72

Now that the 2013 NFL Draft is in the rear-view mirror, Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman added to his scouting staff today with the addition of Michael Davis (Midwest Area Scout), Trey Brown (West Coast Area Scout) and Louis Clark (Pro Scout).

In addition, Roseman promoted the following scouts:

• Ed Marynowitz (man-oh-wits) was named Assistant Director of Player Personnel after spending his first year in Philadelphia as the Assistant Director of Pro Scouting

• Alan Wolking, who had worked as the Midwest Area Scout, was named Southeast Area Scout

• Mike Bradway, who was the Northeast College Scout, was named Eastern Regional Scout

“We’re very fortunate to have a strong scouting staff and these three hires are great additions to our team. They bring NFL scouting experience and have bright futures in the league,” said Roseman.

“Our goal is to hire and promote the best people here and from around the league. This is a team effort; we all have a role to play and the more viewpoints we can kick around, the better. In the last couple of years, we’ve added some talented personnel men who have an incredible eye for talent in Tom [Gamble], Rick [Mueller], Ed [Marynowitz] and Tom [Donahoe] who come from a culture of winning to join our scouts and Anthony Patch who does a great job as our college director. We’ve been able to develop some youthful minds to the mix and are extremely excited about the direction we are headed.”

Davis joined the Eagles after serving as the Assistant Director of College Scouting for the New York Jets for the past five seasons. He was responsible for scouting the southeast region. In all, he spent 16 years with Jets player personnel department. A former wide receiver from Virginia State, Davis worked as a wide receivers and special teams coach at his alma mater prior to joining the NFL ranks.

Brown came to the Eagles after a three-year stint with the New England Patriots scouting staff, the last two campaigns as the team’s West Coast area scout. Brown played cornerback at UCLA, was signed by the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent in 2009 and played in the UFL. He is the son of former NFL running back Theotis Brown.

Clark most recently worked as the Director of Pro Personnel of the Jacksonville Jaguars. A former wide receiver for the Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers, Clark worked on the Jaguars scouting staff since 1997. A native of Tupelo, MS, he graduated from Mississippi State and was a 10th round draft pick of the Seahawks in 1987.

Here’s a breakdown of the Eagles player personnel department:

Tom Gamble – Vice President of Player Personnel

Anthony Patch – Director of College Scouting

Ed Marynowitz – Assistant Director of Player Personnel

Rick Mueller – Player Personnel Executive

Alec Halaby – Special Assistant to the General Manager

Tom Donahoe – Senior Football Advisor

Mike Bradway – Eastern Regional Scout

Michael Davis – Midwest Area Scout

Andy Speyer – Southwest Area Scout

Alan Wolking – Southeast Area Scout

Trey Brown – West Coast Area Scout

Louis Clark – Pro Scout

Brad Obee – College Scout/Coordinator

Jake Hallum – Senior Scout

A lot of Eagles fans and media have been criticizing and questioning Cary Williams commitment due to him missing all the voluntary work outs due to personal reasons. He went to attend his daughters recital, dental work, and renovations on his new house. I personally don't have a problem with this and I don't know who these people think they are to have an opinion on being a father going to his daughters recital. Outside of that though, naturally you do want all the players on your team attending work outs. But for me, as long as he shows up on Sundays, I don't have a problem. If he doesn't, may the next man stand up or get released. It's just that simple to me. We also have some young corners that I wouldn't mind seeing get a chance to play like Curtis Marsh whom I like. Here's Cary Williams on the Mike show earlier today and his take on the media, organization, and Eagles fans:

http://www.975thefanatic.com/teams/eagles/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10554712#.UbI4G_mTgrV

He came off as somewhat abrasive but this didn't bother me. I actually agree with a lot of what he said especially about his duties as a father and his opinion of the media and fans perspective of him. As long as he can translate all that tough mojo to the football field I'm fine and he's good in my book. He already seems to have a Philly-tude demeanor about him and he may catch some heat in the beginning, but I can see Philly really taking a liking to this guy especially if he carries that fire onto the field and performs well.

Edited by dutchff7

They're called voluntary for a reason and one of the big problems is a lot of people forget that football players are still people. Yes they're paid millions of dollars to toss a football around but they have families too, daughters/sons/wives/parents/siblings etc. They would like to spend time with them. So until they make them mandatory I wish people would stfu about players not being there.

Edited by SteelersNation36
  • Upvote 1

Eagles rookie S Earl Wolff wrapped up OTAs running with the first-team defense.

While we're not willing to make far-reaching conclusions based on participation in noncontact practices, it appears head coach Chip Kelly is willing to give Wolff an opportunity play a significant role if Kenny Phillips (knee) remains sidelined.

Source: ESPN Dallas

Stadium Revitalization Project: The Details

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Stadium-Revitalization-Project-The-Details/939c8d22-d90f-482e-b4db-dc699f20117b

The Philadelphia Eagles today announced that Lincoln Financial Field, the team’s home since 2003, will be revitalized over the next two years. Upon completion prior to the start of the 2014 regular season, the stadium will have upgraded amenities for all fans including two new HD video boards, imagery to honor the franchise’s greatest players and moments, Wi-Fi installation, and seating bowl modifications that include additional seats and two connecting bridges.

The Eagles have teamed up with Gensler Architecture and Turner Construction for the Lincoln Financial Field $125 million revitalization project. Fans can stay up-to-date on the progress of the work by visiting PhiladelphiaEagles.com/LFF.

“We have had discussions with season ticket holders over the past couple of seasons to find out what was important to them. We listened and developed a plan of action. The revitalization of Lincoln Financial Field that will take place over the next two years is a direct result of those conversations,” said Philadelphia Eagles President Don Smolenski. “Our main goal when we began this project was to dramatically enhance the gameday experience for our fans. They deserve an exciting and fun experience when they visit Lincoln Financial Field and we are committed to that.”

“This is an exciting and new era for the Philadelphia Eagles,” said Philadelphia Eagles Chairman and CEO Jeffrey Lurie. “Just watching the new HD boards will be fun as the game will be captured in a powerful way for fans. And celebrating players and pivotal moments in games is a wonderful way to showcase the Eagles proud history as a team. Fans will see these all around the stadium.”

Making The Switch To HD

• Two new high-definition video boards will be installed in both end zones along with an upgraded sound system. The LED ribbon-board displays placed along each side of the stadium will be extended to present 360 degrees of video, animation, real-time scores, statistics, and more.

2P26t37.jpg

Showcasing Our Proud History

• Images of the greatest players and the most memorable moments in franchise history will be displayed throughout the stadium in the lower and upper concourses as well as the club and suite levels.

hGrZV3M.jpg

Seating Bowl Expansion

• There will be an additional 1,600 seats installed in the stadium (approx. 800 in the Southwest corner, 600 in the Northeast corner, and 200 in the Northwest corner) to allow more fans to cheer on the Eagles.

• Two bridges will be constructed in the Southwest corner that will allow fans in the upper concourse and the club level to easily walk from the home side to the visitor side of the stadium.

• A new escalator will be built on the West side of the stadium. This will allow one of the escalators that currently services both the club level and upper concourse to focus solely on the upper concourse.

aiUHwDv.jpg

Ease Of Entry In And Around Lincoln Financial Field

• The three main entrance gates will be expanded so that fans will be accommodated more quickly upon arrival.

• More vibrant signs will be placed to better direct fans around the building.

An Integrated Wi-Fi System

• An integrated wireless network will be installed to service the seating bowl. This network, along with a more robust distribution antenna system, will boost connectivity for fans so that they will have better access to stream photos, check fantasy football stats, and more.

Expanded Offerings At Concession Stands

• There will be expanded cooking capabilities installed at several concession stands throughout the building.

Suite Level And Club Level Enhancements

• All suites will be upgraded with new carpeting and furniture upholstering in 2013. In addition, suiteholders were provided the opportunity to choose images of the greatest moments and players in franchise history to display on the walls of their suite. By 2014, all suites will have upgraded audio/visual capabilities with brand new LED televisions.

• The SCA and West Club levels will receive a total makeover including upgraded furniture, carpeting, imagery, signage, and audio/visual capabilities. In addition, a food market will be installed in each club lounge that will provide fans an expanded variety of eating options.

• The Touchdown Club will move inside the stadium from the HeadHouse Plaza and be completely revamped by the start of the 2013 regular season. There will be over 5,000 square feet of dining space and a 500 square-foot bar. Celebrity chefs will be invited to showcase their talent for fans.

Mu1vyDS.jpg

Expedited Service In The Pro Shop

• The Pro Shop inside the HeadHouse Plaza will expand by 2,500 feet to allow for increased point-of-sale locations on gameday to help fans receive service as quickly as possible.

Revitalization Projects Timeline

To Be Completed For The 2013 Regular Season

• Historical Imagery

• Entrance Gate Expansion and Navigation

• Wi-Fi System

• Concession-Stand Upgrades

• Touchdown Club and Suite Revitalization

• Pro Shop Expansion

To Be Completed For The 2014 Regular Season

• High-Definition Video Board and LED Ribbon-Board Installation

• Seating Bowl Expansion and Bridge Construction

• Club Level Enhancements

:rock:

A lot of Eagles fans and media have been criticizing and questioning Cary Williams commitment due to him missing all the voluntary work outs due to personal reasons. He went to attend his daughters recital, dental work, and renovations on his new house. I personally don't have a problem with this and I don't know who these people think they are to have an opinion on being a father going to his daughters recital. Outside of that though, naturally you do want all the players on your team attending work outs. But for me, as long as he shows up on Sundays, I don't have a problem. If he doesn't, may the next man stand up or get released. It's just that simple to me. We also have some young corners that I wouldn't mind seeing get a chance to play like Curtis Marsh whom I like. Here's Cary Williams on the Mike show earlier today and his take on the media, organization, and Eagles fans:

http://www.975thefanatic.com/teams/eagles/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10554712#.UbI4G_mTgrV

He came off as somewhat abrasive but this didn't bother me. I actually agree with a lot of what he said especially about his duties as a father and his opinion of the media and fans perspective of him. As long as he can translate all that tough mojo to the football field I'm fine and he's good in my book. He already seems to have a Philly-tude demeanor about him and he may catch some heat in the beginning, but I can see Philly really taking a liking to this guy especially if he carries that fire onto the field and performs well.

I think Cary Williams is a great guy to have on the Eagles D. Good father, i love the attitude he's blunt with business and a good corner coming from the Ravens organization. And i agree that people shouldnt get mad that players are missing VOULENTARY workouts. How ever with Hakeem Nicks situation i think its alittle different. Sorry to put some you G-Men talk on your Eagles forum but i had to throw that out there. I love what you do with all the Eagle news you put up here and imma try to do the same with my Cardinals.

Eagles QB Battle Starting to Simmer

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/6/7/4406018/eagles-qb-battle-starting-to-simmer

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/6/8/4409184/follow-up-thoughts-on-simmering-eagles-qb-battle

Let me preface this by saying that Michael Vick's comeback was nothing short of extraordinary, and his performance in 2010 was like watching a faster, more athletically explosive and polished passer version of Donovan McNabb. It was the height of fun for that one season, but I feel confident asserting he didn't make a permanent transformation. Despite the problems that afflicted the offense in 2011 and 2012, Vick should not escape a sizable portion of the blame for his contributions to the downfall. Yes, Chip Kelly has somewhat justified those struggles, but seeing as how he watched the film, there's no doubt he saw the same flaws all of us did. Vick held onto the ball too long even when he did have time, missed open throws downfield because he dropped his eyes quickly, and just made bad decision after bad decision in general. Michael Vick is what he is, and at age 33, I doubt that's going to change.

Something like 99% of people, fans and media alike, felt that Chip Kelly coming aboard as head coach and the Eagles restructuring Vick's contract into a one-year deal for 2013 meant he would be, without a doubt, the team's starting QB. I mean, after all, who else can run Kelly's hyperactive read option Oregon offense, since that's exactly the same offense he's going to try to install at the NFL level. Oh, right, that's not the case at all, since indications are it'll be a hybrid offense with college AND pro concepts, mainly predicated on being up-tempo. Also keep in mind Chip plays to his personnel, not a preferred scheme. You don't have to believe that, but I do. If you've read my previous articles or follow me on Twitter, you know that I have been, and continue to be, steadfast in my belief that Nick Foles will win the starting QB job outright. I saw enough from him last season, while playing in adverse circumstances, to conclude that he deserves a chance to show what he can do with a full cavalry of weapons and competent, responsible play-calling. One more thing: Foles, who was recruited to play basketball out of high school by Georgetown University, is a better athlete than he gets credit for. Granted, it's a goofy type of athleticism that leaves you wondering just how the hell he's doing it as it's happening, but athleticism nonetheless.

So far after OTAs and the three-day minicamp in which they essentially split first team reps, it would appear that Foles has performed better and holds the edge, however minuscule and irrelevant at this point, over Vick. But even you and me could look good in shorts and playing against air, without any rush (giant flyswatters aside) or contact, right? Vick has even gone so far as to start airing his grievances with the media and voice his displeasure about having to split reps. He wants Kelly to name a starter before training camp in order to avoid distractions, so the whole team (read: Michael Vick) doesn't have to answer questions about it. What a leader! Meanwhile, Foles continues to keep his head down and his words benign, as he works hard and embraces the opportunity instead of act like he's owed something by the new coaching regime. Here's what I think: It hasn't taken long for Vick to realize that being the starter in Kelly's offense is NOT the slam dunk he expected. He has never in his life had to earnestly compete for the starting job before, and he's feeling insecure about it since Foles is proving a more than worthy opponent. What's the matter, Mike, afraid of a little competition?

Then again, I guess none of this conjecture, posturing and predicting will matter if (when?) Chip Kelly starts out the first month of the season by rotating Foles and Vick for every series, perhaps even sprinkling in Barkley from time to time. I'm eagerly looking forward to the external hysterics that will surely result, win or lose, from this revolutionary practice. It's going to feel so great for my team not to be predictable and boring anymore.

Vick's comments:

"Hopefully, Chip makes a decision before training camp and we won't have to answer that question," Vick told CSNPhilly.com, "so we can go out there as quarterbacks and just focus on this season and not answer questions about competition every day."

How, exactly, is Chip supposed to make an informed decision and select the starting QB before training camp? Based on what, last season's tape and a handful of performances against air and giant flyswatters? I'd say after training camp and the preseason is the only time such a pivotal decision can be made. Making rash decisions before analyzing all the possible information is not how smart, shrewd people operate.

"It's tough," [Vick] said. "I have to continue to be a professional and put my feelings and emotions to the side, and just continue to compete. But it's hard. I would be lying if I said it wasn't, but that's just what I have to deal with, and I'm going to keep dealing with it until I see otherwise."

What's "tough" for Vick? That this is an actual competition in which the other competitor is getting an equal chance to shine? What's "hard"? That he hasn't been anointed the starting QB yet after a paucity of offseason activities? That his job status is being threatened after two lackluster seasons in which he regressed?

Mosher also included in his piece that "ources close to Vick have always felt that he resigned (sic) with the idea that he would eventually be named the starter." Did Vick explicitly say as much himself? No, but let's not delude ourselves here about what he was likely thinking when agreeing to restructure his contract.

Andy Reid's not here anymore, and no one is getting a free ride or the benefit of the doubt based on prior accomplishments. The bottom line is Michael Vick has not earned the right to be the Eagles' undisputed starting QB with his play. Period. His quotes made it appear he perhaps felt and expected differently. Or maybe he simply meant, "name Foles the starter already so I can ask to be released." I don't know, I'm sure there are Vick supporters out there who champion themselves better suited to interpret his remarks. And before I get ripped for being blindly biased in favor of Nick Foles: He also hasn't earned the right to be the Eagles' undisputed starting QB, but at least he appears to be approaching this competition with the appropriate frame of mind. I've never once said he should be handed the job, simply that I think he's going to win it outright. We'll have our answer in less than three months.

While the author of this article is ripping Vick apart, I share his sentiments to a degree. Vick saying that he hopes that Chip makes a decision before camp does show impatience and possibly signs of frustration. The true analysis will be made during training camp and the preseason games. Foles has been out playing him so far so if Kelly were to make the decision now, it most likely wouldn't be going in Vick's favor. Vick needs to be patient, play it out and perform until the coach makes a decision. Furthermore him saying that it's tough sharing reps comes off slightly egotistical in my opinion as if the job should be his. He should want to earn it. His last two seasons haven't been all that great and he should know this and accept the situation for what it is. It's a QB competition and Kelly is sticking to his guns and isn't anointing anyone as the starter. He's making them earn it. Vick has never had to compete for a starting QB job so I think it's bruising his ego. I can't think of any other reason why it would be tough. Perform well and go earn it. That's all there is to it. Foles on the other hand seems to be handling it quite well and embracing the competition. Here are Foles comments about the QB competition.

Foles Comments:

"The only thing that's in my control is what I do on the field and (that's) playing," Foles said. "I don't go to sleep at night, sweating, wondering where I am (on the depth chart). What I can do is work hard, come out, be on the field and be a leader to these guys. Execute the plays. Make the guys around me better."

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Crucial-Period-In-QB-Competition/8425e045-56a8-4cce-b14e-e0d8ee1e3599

He seems to be ahead of Vick from a mental standpoint on what he needs to do. As of right now he has outplayed Vick but the real competition will heat up during training camp and the preseason. Pressure busts pipes and Vick is already asking for a QB to be named. The competition is in full throttle and far from being over. I can't wait to see what unfolds.

Edited by dutchff7

Eagles and Matt Barkley Agree To Terms

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagles-Barkley-Agree-To-Terms/fd282417-c6cf-4fec-af4e-bb32d6e0db47

The Philadelphia Eagles today announced they have agreed to terms with QB Matt Barkley on a four-year contract. Barkley will become the seventh of eight Eagles 2013 draft choices to sign with the team.

Barkley was the Eagles' fourth-round selection in the 2013 NFL Draft (98th overall). The 22-year-old was the all-time leading passer in both Pac-12 Conference and USC history. A four-year starter for the Trojans, Barkley finished his career with over 12,000 passing yards and became the only player in conference history to throw for over 100 touchdowns (116) in a career.

A native of Santa Ana, Calif., Barkley attended Mater Dei High School where he finished his career as the all-time passing yardage leader in Orange County.

Zach Ertz is graduated and ready to play football

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/6/19/4444136/zach-ertz-is-graduated-and-ready-to-play-football

Zach Ertz was one of only two rookies to miss virtually the Eagles entire offseason program so far, the other being Jordan Poyer. The reason is an NFL rule that bars new draftees from joining their teams prior to their college graduation.

Most schools graduate around late May so it's not issue for the majority of guys. However, Ertz's school, Stanford, did not graduate until this past Sunday. According to PE.com, Ertz hopped a red eye to Philadelphia direct from his graduation.

"It was tough to see all my teammates out here doing football activities, but at the end of the day there was nothing that I could really do about it," Ertz said. "So I kind of took it with a grain of salt and studied the playbook as much as I can and I'm just really excited to be out here now."

Ertz was allowed to have a playbook, but could not have any contact with coaches. So while he should be familiar with the plays, he still won't have the experience of working with the team until training camp starts next month.

But for now, he's in the team's conditioning program, he can meet with his coaches and can at least get to know his teammates a littler better. It'll be a summer of catching up for the 2nd round pick, but he says he'll be happy to contribute any way he can.

"I just want to help the team win in any way I can, whether that's special teams or on offense," said Ertz. "I think there's enough talent on both offensive and defensive sides of the ball to be a winning team and make the playoffs. That's my only goal right now."

Glad he's finally going to be out on the field. He missed a good portion of camp which is definitely valuable as a rookie. Hopefully he'll catch up quick. Andrew Luck went through something similar last year and he turned out pretty well and that was at the most vital position at QB. I think he'll be fine.

Pretty impressive he graduated Stanford after 3 years. I think it's a good thing. Yeah he missed camp but it shows commitment on his part. He wanted to finish school.I don't have a problem with this at all.

Jeremy Maclin wants to stay with Philadelphia Eagles

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214323/article/jeremy-maclin-wants-to-stay-with-philadelphia-eagles

Entering the final season of his rookie contract, wide receiver Jeremy Maclin is taking the same approach with the Philadelphia Eagles as Hakeem Nicks has in exercising a no-hurry stance with the New York Giants.

Willing to gamble on his own talent, Maclin is "anxious" for the season to start.

"This is a big year for me personally with my contract coming up and everything," Maclin said, via Phillymag.com's Birds 24/7 blog. "So I'm just looking forward to it. ... I think that I can only get better. So I think it'll be good for me to go out there and just play ball and let everything else take care of itself."

Although the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that preliminary contract discussions have begun, Maclin said there's been "nothing in-depth" thus far.

Through four seasons, Maclin's numbers (258 receptions, 3,453 yards, 26 touchdowns) are nearly identical to those of Nicks (255 receptions, 3,726 yards, 27 touchdowns). Both receivers must prove they can remain effective while playing through nagging injuries. Unlike Nicks, however, Maclin hasn't yet displayed the skill set of a No. 1 receiver, capable of burning defenses deep and coming up with difficult catches in traffic.

Maclin might be eager to test the market along with Nicks, but his first choice is to stay in Philadelphia. "This is the team and organization that drafted me," Maclin said. "I don't want to leave."

The feeling appears to be mutual, as the Eagles only were interested in trading Maclin earlier this offseason if another team made an "irresistible offer." Whether the sides can find common ground before the season is another matter. With no deadline looming, neither party seems willing to settle.

While Maclin hasn't put up 1st round WR numbers but he has still proven to be productive. We don't have a true #1 receiver on our team. Maclin would be the perfect #2 receiver. If we were to draft a true #1 receiver, have Maclin as our #2, and have DeSean move around from our #2 to a slot receiver, I believe we would have a very formidable receiving corps. Especially DeSean Jackson who I believe can be utilized to be one of the most dangerous WR's in the league; well a more consistent danger. I hope something does work out with Maclin because I want to keep him. I know Eagles fans who are upset with Maclin's production and call him an underachiever. If anything, I think the fault is on our front office for drafting him too early (1st round) because he has proven to be a good #2 receiver. He is what he is and our front office over reached.

More Maclin Coverage:

Bringing The Best Out Of Jeremy Maclin

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Bringing-The-Best-Out-Of-Jeremy-Maclin/9a83c860-bb7a-4795-b780-75132d3153ba

Wide receiver Jeremy Maclin has quietly put together an impressive start to his NFL career. The 25-year-old former first-round pick has caught more balls in his first four seasons than any Eagle in franchise history with 258. Last season, Maclin led the team with 69 catches for 857 yards and seven touchdowns.

Maclin has also been a reliable part of the offense missing just five games in the past four seasons. And that's even after being sidelined for all of Training Camp and the preseason in 2011 following a lymphoma scare.

2013 is a pivotal season for the Philadelphia Eagles franchise with the start of Chip Kelly's era as head coach. It's also the final year of Maclin's rookie contract. Maclin believes this offense will take advantage of his many talents.

"I look at it as a way to showcase all of my skills as far as being able to be in so many different spots in this offense," Maclin said. "I really am looking forward to it."

Maclin has good size at 6-0, 198 pounds. He's scored 15 red zone touchdowns in his career. Twenty-eight of his career receptions have been of 25 yards or more. The offense Maclin played in at Missouri has similarities to what Kelly is bringing to the Eagles. Fellow wide receiver Arrelious Benn noted how quickly Maclin picked up the offense.

"I was one of the guys who picked up on it pretty fast," Maclin said. "Now, it's my job to continue to go out there and stay on top of it and do what they ask me to do."

Maclin has been integral not only on the field, but off the field as well. He is holding his annual youth football camp Tuesday and Wednesday at the RiverWinds Community Center in West Deptford, N.J. and teammates Michael Vick and LeSean McCoy are scheduled to be among the instructors along with the wideout.

“I always knew that if I made it to the NFL that I would be a guy who committed to working constantly in the community,” Maclin said. “My football camp is just another way to reach the kids and spend time with them. We really value this time and the relationships we build on and off the field. I am grateful that I can pass along positive messages and help kids realize that by staying strong they can also accomplish their dreams.”

Earlier this offseason, Maclin honored single mothers on Mother's Day. This year, he will introduce an annual backpack and school supplies program.

“We hope to inspire the kids to follow their dreams and put in the work necessary to have them become a reality. They may not have had the easiest path to get there but dreams come true with hard work and by surrounding yourself with good people. I am a living example of that and I hope the kids take these messages to heart,” Maclin said.

Always have loved Maclin. He's got heart and pride. You could tell last year was tough for him in a lot of ways, not just as an individual. I'm rooting for the guy personally because I like him but this is very much a put up or shut up year.

Eagles Wake-Up Call: Kelce, Not QB, Will Make Protection Calls

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013/06/25/eagles-wake-up-call-kelce-not-qb-will-set-protection/

When last year began, Jason Kelce was in charge of making the protection calls at the line of scrimmage for the Eagles.

When Kelce went down in Week 2 and Dallas Reynolds took over, he became the new man in charge.

But before the Week 9 matchup against the Saints, Michael Vick had a chat with the coaches and told them he wanted the responsibility back. Andy Reid and company went along with the suggestion.

Now, as the Eagles forge ahead with Chip Kelly, the offense is going back to doing things the way it did at the start of 2012. During the spring, the center was put in charge of setting the protection.

“It’s all depending on whether it’s a three-down or a four-down defense,” Kelce explained. “And then from there, depending on the protection, there’s an object linebacker that the offensive line takes. And then off of that, then the running backs can all determine who they have, and the tight ends can determine who they have, and the quarterbacks understand who their hots are off of.”

So the quarterback has no involvement in making the protection calls?

“He can reset it if he wants to,” Kelce said. “The way the quarterback would reset it is if he reset the object linebacker for the offensive line. And in turn, it would be a chain reaction. The running back [would go] off of that. But generally speaking, the offensive line is going to be controlling most of it.”

One of the more fascinating aspects to watch with Kelly’s offense will be what the quarterback’s responsibilities are before the snap. Remember, the coach can talk to the QB through the headset from the time the play clock starts until it hits 15 (25 seconds total).

While the specifics of what the Eagles are going to run are still up in the air, it seems clear that the offense will be making a lot of adjustments based on the look of the defense. That’s not just limited to the quarterback, either. Wide receivers, tight ends and running backs will have options as well, based on what they see out of the coverages.

As for the quarterbacks, Kelce downplayed the idea that the starter needs time to build a familiarity with the offensive line on pre-snap calls.

“Regardless of who’s back there, they’re still going to have the same hots,” he said. “They’re still going to have the same protections. The protections don’t change between offensive lines or anything. It’s always who the guy points to, and then you understand who you have from there.”

I'm fine with this. Our young QBs are inexperienced and Vick struggled with protection scheme concepts when he did. Not saying he would struggle with the new system, just don't mind Kelce making the calls.

Appearing on NFL32 Tuesday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen said it was his "understanding" that Michael Vick made more mistakes "decision-making wise" than Nick Foles in Eagles OTAs.

Mort also hinted he does not expect new coach Chip Kelly to simply hand Vick the starting job despite his pedigree and salary. Mort believes the winner of the Eagles' quarterback competition will be the player to "buy in and execute what (Kelly) wants done." Foles should have little issue buying in, but his lack of mobility hurts his chances to properly execute Kelly's offense.

I'd rather have the QB that makes less bad decisions. Also, I'm not buying what reporters are saying about what may or may not fit Kelly's scheme. To be honest, no one knows what his scheme is. Also, he's spoken on evaluating players, seeing what they are good at, and putting them in the best situation to succeed. I'm assuming that wouldn't involve forcing a system on players.

Chip Kelly-era violations at Oregon punished by NCAA

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214880/article/chip-kellyera-violations-at-oregon-punished-by-ncaa

Coach Chip Kelly's current team, the Philadelphia Eagles, will continue to take shape at next month's training camp. Meanwhile, his former team, the Oregon Ducks, will be dealing with its punishment.

The NCAA on Wednesday placed Oregon's football program on probation for three years and took away a pair of scholarships -- one each over the next two seasons -- for recruiting violations during Kelly's watch, John Marshall of The Associated Press reported. The relatively minor punishment does not include a bowl ban.

The NCAA's Division I Infractions Committee on Wednesday also released its report, finding that Kelly and the university failed to properly monitor the program.

"I want to apologize to the University of Oregon, all of its current and former players and their fans," Kelly said in a statement released Wednesday, per Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer. "I accept my share of responsibility for the actions that led to the penalties. As I have I stated before, the NCAA investigation and subsequent ruling had no impact on my decision to leave Oregon for Philadelphia."

The NCAA also reduced Oregon's official paid recruiting visits from 56 to 37 for the next three academic years and installed a show-cause order for Kelly. That means any school hoping to hire the coach away from the Eagles must appear before the NCAA infractions committee to "determine if the school should be subject to the show-cause procedures," per The AP.

Oregon had been under investigation by the NCAA in connection to a $25,000 payment in 2010 to Willie Lyles and Complete Scouting Services, a Houston-based recruiting service. Lyles, at the time, had connections to an Oregon recruit. The NCAA found that Lyles provided free lodging and cash to a prospect.

The NCAA ruled that Kelly wasn't aware of Lyles' actions but pointed out that, as head coach, Kelly was responsible for ensuring his program was in compliance. Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich was promoted to head coach in January after Kelly accepted the Eagles job.

Will this have any effect on Kelly's rebuilding project in Philly? Not for a second.

Meh. Oh well.

Nick Foles isn't a statue out there in the pocket. He can throw on the run. He's not Michael Vick, but I think Kelly is going to tailor his offense to fit whichever QB wins the competition.

Nick Foles isn't a statue out there in the pocket. He can throw on the run. He's not Michael Vick, but I think Kelly is going to tailor his offense to fit whichever QB wins the competition.

Yeah. That's what most people don't realize. Foles is very mobile. Slow, but he can move in the pocket and roll out of the pocket very well. He also can throw well on the run.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214880/article/chip-kellyera-violations-at-oregon-punished-by-ncaa

Coach Chip Kelly's current team, the Philadelphia Eagles, will continue to take shape at next month's training camp. Meanwhile, his former team, the Oregon Ducks, will be dealing with its punishment.

The NCAA on Wednesday placed Oregon's football program on probation for three years and took away a pair of scholarships -- one each over the next two seasons -- for recruiting violations during Kelly's watch, John Marshall of The Associated Press reported. The relatively minor punishment does not include a bowl ban.

The NCAA's Division I Infractions Committee on Wednesday also released its report, finding that Kelly and the university failed to properly monitor the program.

"I want to apologize to the University of Oregon, all of its current and former players and their fans," Kelly said in a statement released Wednesday, per Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer. "I accept my share of responsibility for the actions that led to the penalties. As I have I stated before, the NCAA investigation and subsequent ruling had no impact on my decision to leave Oregon for Philadelphia."

The NCAA also reduced Oregon's official paid recruiting visits from 56 to 37 for the next three academic years and installed a show-cause order for Kelly. That means any school hoping to hire the coach away from the Eagles must appear before the NCAA infractions committee to "determine if the school should be subject to the show-cause procedures," per The AP.

Oregon had been under investigation by the NCAA in connection to a $25,000 payment in 2010 to Willie Lyles and Complete Scouting Services, a Houston-based recruiting service. Lyles, at the time, had connections to an Oregon recruit. The NCAA found that Lyles provided free lodging and cash to a prospect.

The NCAA ruled that Kelly wasn't aware of Lyles' actions but pointed out that, as head coach, Kelly was responsible for ensuring his program was in compliance. Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich was promoted to head coach in January after Kelly accepted the Eagles job.

Will this have any effect on Kelly's rebuilding project in Philly? Not for a second.

I don't see why it shouldn't. The Colts suspended Tressel when he came in and the NFL supported it. Why shouldn't Chip Kelly be suspended. Or for that matter why wasn't Pete Carrol?

NFL can't pick and choose. They should be suspended.