AllYouNeedIsLovie

Who wins the NFC West in 2013?

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC West in 2013?

• Seahawks
    • 49ers
    • Rams
    • Cardinals

Just a few years ago, the NFC West had a 7-9 team win the division and it was considered the worst division in the NFL by pretty much everyone. Now, pretty much all the teams have improved and it is arguably the best division in the NFL. Who do you think takes the division this year? I think it'll come down to the 49ers and Seahawks, with the 49ers winning it again. I like the Rams and think they will compete for a Wild Card spot, but I don't think they'll be able to keep up with the 49ers and Seahawks for the division title. The Cardinals aren't a bad team either, but unfortunately, the rest of their division is very good and I don't think they'll be able to keep up with the other 3 teams.

I'm taking Seahawks, but not by much. The Niners could very well win it again, but we only lost the division last year by the narrowest margin, and the Niners struggled against us both times we played. The first game at the Stick they came away with a 13-6 win. One score, and that in their own house with our offense not able to make anything work. Not because the Niners were stopping us, but because our receivers dropped damn near every pass thrown at them that game. Then we all know what happened in the next game in Seattle. The Niners can make all the excuses they want about being tired from playing the Pats, but blowout is a blowout. Basically we were already giving the Niners trouble and our roster has only gotten stronger. Therefore I feel justified in saying we have a good shot at edging them out for the division this year, and I do mean 'edging' because if we do win the division it won't be by much.

The Rams do concern me. They had a great draft, and already had an amazing in-conference record last year, and they gave the Niners fits even more-so than we did. I don't know that they're quite ready to take the division itself, as they struggled quite a bit outside the division last year, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them make a wild card push.

As for the Cardinals it depends on how much Carson Palmer really has left, and whether that O-Line can protect him. We saw what the Cards could do when they were on form. They went 4-0 against some good teams before they fell apart. Good QB play might be all they need to have a decent season if that defense can hold up. However I'm not prepared to say with certainty they even compete for a playoff spot this year.

Edited by Jayrus
  • Upvote 1

Man alive this division is confusing as all hell. I have wondered this for many moons now and can not come up with a clear cut winner. Lets look at what we know.

Seahawks: Super talented defense that does not like giving up points and if your offense is predicated on the run or pass (all of them) it is a long day. They are very difficult to run on and maybe even more so on the pass. They have one great corner one who is good on physical but less athletic WR's in press man a fireplug in ear thomas who can change the game and a sledgehammer in Kam Chancellor. Offensively they have a rookie who can take care of the football and not make mistakes, not a great one yet but certainly has talent. A physical and pounding running game that just got even more so. Their Achilles heel ? Wr's. They dont have them. Yes we know Percy Harvin is electric but he is also injured often. Sidney Rice is also dynamic when healthy. Golden Tate is probably the most reliable receiver there... So add all that up and you got a team that may not put up 40 all the time but they dont have too. They control the clock and run the ball. Tough to beat.

49ers: Another stupid talented defense. They have an amazing front seven but the secondary is suspect. However their pass rush does not really give you a lot of time to dissect it. On offense they may have an elite QB, this year will go a long way in answering that but as of now they dont have it. They have a very effective running game that could be a lot better down the stretch. Their WR's have been "coming along" for a while now and their number one has had his first 1K season so who knows how that plays out, but they do have speed and a proven slot guy. Their TE is definitely top 5 in the league and a matchup nightmare because of speed. And their o line is ridiculous.

Rams: Well their O line has gotten MUCH better than it was last year, they have a promising second year running back, and now they have a plethora of receivers that could be dynamic on the field. Their QB is a mystery because they he has been set up to fail so it is difficult knowing what they truly have. Their defense I like... A Lot. Micheal Brockers last year was a great get and Chris Long is a pretty damn good player. They have an emerging Robert Quin so that is a pretty stout D line. Laurinitas in the middle is a pretty solid anchor the weks spot is who do they have next to him. I am completely in love with their secondary despite the fact that I hate Cortland finnegan. The dude is good though. Janoris Jenkins could be a monster and people often forget about Trumaine Johnson who they drafted last year as well so they have a great trio of corners. Mikell still has something left and they got TJ McDonald in the draft who could be a good player for safeties and they picked up Ray Ray Armstong as a UDFA who could be the best safety in this class in 2 years or an immediate starter. Their GM has had arguably the best of the last two years as far as merging needs/wants. This is going to be a fun team to watch.

Cardinals: This team had the best draft in the NFL for my money. That front 7 got much better with the addition of minter and okafor. They solidified their o line, especially up the middle with Cooper and Warford to combine with Sendelin. That could change a lot overnight. Then add to that they may hava QB who could thrive there. Especially with Fitz, Micheal Floyd who could be a star and then get Ryan Swope who could be an amazing slot guy. Oh and they did their RB corps favors by adding ellington and Taylor to Mendenhall. I guarantee someone of that trio steps up and does very well. On defense they could be lethal yet again. They have Washington, Dansby, Minter all for LB's and will have some great competition there so they will definitely be able to have probably the second best ILB duo in the NFL. Then Okafor and Sam ACho could make some noiose coming off the edge. Safety is a spot for concern as they have Mathieu at FS and then Yeremiah bell. It could be above average of horrible. PP is one of the best corners in the league right now to add to that. This team will also be fun to watch.

All that said it would not surprise me if any team one the division. however I think the powers are still the 9ers and Seahawks until proven otherwise though. Although they have the St.Louis Rams who maybe this year but definitely next year are going to be breathing down their necks. The cards is all on Carson. If he is Carson 2006 they are instantly in the hunt. It will be an extremely competitive division by all for teams. This division reminds me so much of the AFCN from 2 or 3 years ago it is scary.

TL:DR version. It will be fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

I can see this division taking several turns but I have to stick with the 49ers until proven otherwise. The idea of a Super Bowl slump slightly scares me but I can't see this happening right now under Jim Harbaugh who I have been following for some time.

Man alive this division is confusing as all hell. I have wondered this for many moons now and can not come up with a clear cut winner. Lets look at what we know.

Seahawks: Super talented defense that does not like giving up points and if your offense is predicated on the run or pass (all of them) it is a long day. They are very difficult to run on and maybe even more so on the pass. They have one great corner one who is good on physical but less athletic WR's in press man a fireplug in ear thomas who can change the game and a sledgehammer in Kam Chancellor. Offensively they have a rookie who can take care of the football and not make mistakes, not a great one yet but certainly has talent. A physical and pounding running game that just got even more so. Their Achilles heel ? Wr's. They dont have them. Yes we know Percy Harvin is electric but he is also injured often. Sidney Rice is also dynamic when healthy. Golden Tate is probably the most reliable receiver there... So add all that up and you got a team that may not put up 40 all the time but they dont have too. They control the clock and run the ball. Tough to beat.

49ers: Another stupid talented defense. They have an amazing front seven but the secondary is suspect. However their pass rush does not really give you a lot of time to dissect it. On offense they may have an elite QB, this year will go a long way in answering that but as of now they dont have it. They have a very effective running game that could be a lot better down the stretch. Their WR's have been "coming along" for a while now and their number one has had his first 1K season so who knows how that plays out, but they do have speed and a proven slot guy. Their TE is definitely top 5 in the league and a matchup nightmare because of speed. And their o line is ridiculous.

Rams: Well their O line has gotten MUCH better than it was last year, they have a promising second year running back, and now they have a plethora of receivers that could be dynamic on the field. Their QB is a mystery because they he has been set up to fail so it is difficult knowing what they truly have. Their defense I like... A Lot. Micheal Brockers last year was a great get and Chris Long is a pretty damn good player. They have an emerging Robert Quin so that is a pretty stout D line. Laurinitas in the middle is a pretty solid anchor the weks spot is who do they have next to him. I am completely in love with their secondary despite the fact that I hate Cortland finnegan. The dude is good though. Janoris Jenkins could be a monster and people often forget about Trumaine Johnson who they drafted last year as well so they have a great trio of corners. Mikell still has something left and they got TJ McDonald in the draft who could be a good player for safeties and they picked up Ray Ray Armstong as a UDFA who could be the best safety in this class in 2 years or an immediate starter. Their GM has had arguably the best of the last two years as far as merging needs/wants. This is going to be a fun team to watch.

Cardinals: This team had the best draft in the NFL for my money. That front 7 got much better with the addition of minter and okafor. They solidified their o line, especially up the middle with Cooper and Warford to combine with Sendelin. That could change a lot overnight. Then add to that they may hava QB who could thrive there. Especially with Fitz, Micheal Floyd who could be a star and then get Ryan Swope who could be an amazing slot guy. Oh and they did their RB corps favors by adding ellington and Taylor to Mendenhall. I guarantee someone of that trio steps up and does very well. On defense they could be lethal yet again. They have Washington, Dansby, Minter all for LB's and will have some great competition there so they will definitely be able to have probably the second best ILB duo in the NFL. Then Okafor and Sam ACho could make some noiose coming off the edge. Safety is a spot for concern as they have Mathieu at FS and then Yeremiah bell. It could be above average of horrible. PP is one of the best corners in the league right now to add to that. This team will also be fun to watch.

All that said it would not surprise me if any team one the division. however I think the powers are still the 9ers and Seahawks until proven otherwise though. Although they have the St.Louis Rams who maybe this year but definitely next year are going to be breathing down their necks. The cards is all on Carson. If he is Carson 2006 they are instantly in the hunt. It will be an extremely competitive division by all for teams. This division reminds me so much of the AFCN from 2 or 3 years ago it is scary.

TL:DR version. It will be fun to watch.

So Wilson is just a rookie with talent but Kaepernick is already 'elite' despite only playing half a season? Kaepernick still has as much to prove as Wilson does. He inherited an even better team than Wilson did and even got spotted half a season by Alex Smith while Wilson started the entire season. Let's wait until we see Kaepernick actually start a whole season by himself before declaring him 'elite' shall we? Beyond that I agree with pretty much everything else. It's almost impossible to pick a clear winner at this point.

• Upvote 1

I think Seahawks have this one. With Kaeps play style, we are an injury away from an offensive disaster (lolmccoy). Not only an injury, but a very likely slump for Kaep. Depending on the enforcement of the new rule that RB's can't lower their heads, that changes our run game a lot. Also, I'm not willing to praise a guy that only played half of a season. Yeah, he got us to the Superbowl, but I have seen many many one hit wonders in my 21 years of life. To me, Wilson is a much more proven QB than Kaep is, even if he was a rookie last year. The Seahawks are a damn tough, physical team (just like the Niners) and I can see them beating us 2 for 2 next year. I think it comes down to a 1 or 2 game differential.

Tough to tell tho. Will be one hell of a season.

• Upvote 1

So Wilson is just a rookie with talent but Kaepernick is already 'elite' despite only playing half a season? Kaepernick still has as much to prove as Wilson does. He inherited an even better team than Wilson did and even got spotted half a season by Alex Smith while Wilson started the entire season. Let's wait until we see Kaepernick actually start a whole season by himself before declaring him 'elite' shall we? Beyond that I agree with pretty much everything else. It's almost impossible to pick a clear winner at this point.

Please quote me correctly when you try to dispute something I write. I said they MAY but as of right now they dont. Those were my exact words. So that means I DO NOT think he is. And in terms of talent Wilson is not close to Kaep. That is why I said they may have one. He has an arm that is accurate, big, and can run. Wilson is not as big, and not as fast. He is not as dynamic as Kaepernick.

Now does this forecast their future ? No. Are either elite ? No I already said that. Again, in terms of talent Kaep is more talented than Wilson and I am a fan of neither. That was the whole point of that.

Of course, I have to go with my 49ers to come out on top! But to be realistic over the last few seasons, the NFC West has developed from one of the weakest divisions to what is now arguably one of the strongest divisions in the NFL. Now even though we were Division Champs and Super Bowl runners up last season, we will not have an easy task repeating this feat due to the play of the revitalised Seahawks, whom won a Wild card spot in the play offs last season and made it to the Divisional round. Granted, both the Rams and Cards are improving teams, however, Seattle are by far the biggest threat to us! In short, we have made some good moves this offseason, replacing expensive players, such as Goldson, with younger players who can contribute this season, along with adding more depth.(Boldin,Asomugha,Dorsey,McCoy,Dawson) I feel our roster is one of the most complete in the NFL and we also clearly have the better coaching staff! So whether we're passing, running the ball or stopping the run etc...this is going to be a great season to watch! And I cannot wait! GO NINERS!!!

2yvs3ug.jpg

THE QUEST FOR SIX!!

I would go with SF. They are the barometer for success in the division.

They also succeeded where we did not in similar benchmarks throughout the season. Although I do believe that Seattle definitely improved MORE as the season went on. A lot of the expectation for the 2013 season is founded upon how good we looked at the end of the year -- particularly as they allowed for Wilson to take a commanding role in games where they were purposely protecting him early on. His growth and ability to keep exceeding higher benchmarks week over week is going to be key.

If I were to be completely honest, I'd say these two clubs are about as close to each other as rivals can be. SF has a much more forgiving schedule despite having the champions' matchups. In particular, it's the road schedules that could amount to as many as a 2 game swing on paper. Seattle fans can p&*# and moan about 10am starts all they want. The bottom line is, if you consider yourself a champion and a SB contender then you simply cannot allow that to be an issue. And considering how our cupcake 2005 schedule didn't do us any favors in preparing for our SB run -- I would say it's part of that adversity that all championship teams face and overcome.

I still go with SF. They have won games and conferences to meet existing high expectations. Seattle has to show they can win games where other teams consider them a marquee opponent.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the other two teams. Arizona was a quality team except for being absolutely horrid at QB. They've upgraded the QB and should significantly upgrade their O Line. Those 2 changes could turn them into an 8-8 club. Maybe more. If it's a three way race, 10-6 could easily take the division.

Unfortunately, I think it will be San Francisco. I think the Seahawks and Rams will be right there in the hunt though. There both going to be tough outs this year. Expecting big things from STL.