Sign in to follow this  
WindyCitySports

Fiscally conservative/socially liberal vs. libertarian

I wanted to bring this here to ask some of the libertarians (and others) what they thought. I have considered myself a libertarian for a couple of years now. I have been pro-small government, went hard for Ron Paul in 2012, and have been touting the libertarian narrative. I have come to the realization that either 1) I have only been a fiscal conservative and social liberal, and am just using libertarianism because that is closest to me OR 2) the last couple of months I have seen some huge changes in my political views. Regardless, I don't like the realization because there is really no place for non-libertarian fiscal conservatives/social liberals.

What do you think of this? Are you also moreso just fiscally conservative and socially liberal and identify with libertarianism because it is closest to you or are you actually a full-on minimal government libertarian? If the former is true, do we stick with the libertarians or be moderate Republicans, or...what? This has been on my mind recently so I wanted to share.

I try not to get too much into the whole "what party do you affiliate with?" thing. I think a lot of what George Washington warned us about with regards to political parties has come true; our public officials are more concerned with serving their party and the organizations that put them in office than representing their constituents.

Having said that, I consider myself a libertarian/progressive Republican/small government Democrat all at the same time. :smug:

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

Having said that, I consider myself a libertarian/progressive Republican/small government Democrat all at the same time. :smug:

Seems legit.

I have said for a long time that political parties and platforms need to go away so people can not identify with a persons part, just the issues.

There are so many ways we could be more efficient and help long term instead of doing the band-aid treatment that is happening now.

I hate to gravedig, but you could consider yourself a Classical Liberal if you don't consider yourself a Libertarian.