AllYouNeedIsLovie

Expectations for Carson Palmer?

How do you think Palmer does for the Cardinals this year? He actually didn't put up that bad numbers in Oakland last year and he really didn't have anything to work with. The Cardinals have some weapons like Fitz, Floyd and Roberts, but their shitty QB's in the past haven't been able to give them the ball. If, and this is a big 'if', the Cards o-line can give Palmer some time, I think he can have a pretty good season for the Cardinals.

They have a nice receiving corp over there. The OL won;t be as bad in '13.

I don;t think Mendenhall is going to do much, so Palmer will need to win games with his arm.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/ARZ

Edited by Bay

Not sure but I am curious to see what Bruce Arians does with that offense that's for sure.

He does like the big plays though so expect Carson to air it out. :corn:

Palmer is a timing QB. He requires his receivers to run precise routes in order to be successful. It's when the receivers ad lib along with poor pass protection that Palmer would look bad. I know this all too well.

Outside of Fitzgearld the rest of the receivers are unproven. That is mostly due in part to bad QB play, but I don't see much talent at TE or RB. I think he has a similar season to what he did in 2010.

Outside of Fitzgearld the rest of the receivers are unproven. That is mostly due in part to bad QB play, but I don't see much talent at TE or RB. I think he has a similar season to what he did in 2010.

Andre Roberts had a pretty good season with dogshit Skelton...

• Upvote 1

0 expectations.

Rob Housler is going to break out next season.

Palmer is going to be throwing A LOT this season. Arians will air it out as usual, and Palmer will take his fair share of hits behind that o-line. He'll throw for 3.5k+ yards if he stays healthy, but I don't see the Cards going better than 8-8.

Arians will rely on Palmer a lot,that's for sure. I'm not sure what kind of role Mendenhall will have there, plus he played for Arians in Pittsburgh but I don't think he'll get many carries there. Palmer has a talented WR corps and I can't wait to see what he can do with Fitz. I'm pretty sure Fitz is excited cause playing with Kolb,Skelton and Lindley ain't interesting at all.

I think he throws for 3500 yards at least. Interceptions are certainly going to be a result of him throwing a lot but yards and TD's will also be there.

3500 yards, 23 TDs, 17 INTs...Cardinals go 6-10.

To make sure Larry Fitzgerald has at least 90 catches and 1200 yards.

Nah, it's much more then making sure Larry Fitzgerald gets the ball. Carson has to give the Cardinals a stable/reliable passing game. He's going to be expected to be more then a game manager though. He's going to be expected to orchestrate and sustain fluid drives down the field (even 2 min drives), be able to come back / recover his team out of a deficit (if it's not too outrageous), capable of spreading the ball around, making great throws; Basically, I believe he is expected to be a top 10 QB and reviving his career throwing to a Larry Fitzgerald. I think people are expecting Carson of old or almost Carson of old. If the Cardinals O-line keeps up and their defense continues to play well, they are my Dark Horse team and will improve the most.

I believe expectations are some what high for Palmer but i believe if Arians uses both Ryan Williamas and Reshard Mendenhal for a power agillity one two punch the run game will be decent and i bileve that these wide outs are capable of solid play through the air, the expectations can be met. But it all comes down to the offensive line and that is the true queston for Arizona to answer before the season begins.

Edited by BroadcastinMayne

I believe expectations are some what high for Palmer but i believe if Arians uses both Ryan Williamas and Reshard Mendenhal for a power agillity one two punch the run game will be decent and i bileve that these wide outs are capable of solid play through the air, the expectations can be met. But it all comes down to the offensive line and that is the true queston for Arizona to answer before the season begins.

Welcome to the boards!

Rob Housler is going to break out next season.

Im hoping so he seems to be a good receiving TE, hope Heap has tought him a few things as Shanon Sharp did with him

I just looked up Carson's 2012 stats...and I have to say, he could've had a 5,000 yard season if it wasn't for his receivers constantly dropping his passes. It seemed like almost half of the incomplete passes he threw were dropped by the receivers. Also, at least a third of all of his Int's were tipped by his own receivers as well. I saw at least 10-20 throws that actually hit the receivers square in the numbers, and they bobbled the ball and lost it. Overall, I was rather impressed by his throws! I think he can be a Top 10 Quarterback this year with the Cardinals receiving core actually catching those balls that the Raiders receivers dropped! And Carson would allow the Cardinals to make use of a very good wide receiver corp (Fitzgerald,Floyd and Roberts). Cards also have a good catch-first tight end in Rob Housler. But getting the ball to Fitzgerald can't be overlooked! Fitzgerald had only 71 catches and 4 touchdowns, hardly the numbers that you would expect from an elite receiver. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

I actually have relatively high expectations for the guy.

The first being because that line has gotten much better. Sendelin was already good, Cooper was the best guard in the draft imo, and Earl Wartford is going to be very solid. So the interior of the line has gotten much better which I think will help him a lot.

His receivers are brimming with talent and Fitz is a monster.

Hhis run game has to be better with Mendy Stefphan Taylor and Andre Ellington. One of them will pan out and Arians likes the pass os I would not be shocked to see him do well.

He'll do fine, and the Cardinals are a dark horse playoff candidate. Watch out.

Palmer helped lead the Oakland Raider's to the 8th best passing offense in the NFL Last season, and look what he had to work with. Guys running the wrong routes , flat out dropping his passes, hell the Raider's WRs had some of the most drops in the NFL last year. Palmer has never completed under 61% of his pass's in a full season, and NFL Network and ESPN NFL Live Analysts all agree Palmer will easily throw over 4k Yards again, complete 64% of his pass's , Throw of 25+ Tds and have a Passer rating of atleast 90+ with the talent of WRs he has now! Running a Pass heavy Bruce Arians offense with one of the best WR in the NFL in Fitzy? Jeez..this is a HUGE upgrade to this Cardinal's offense. If this team had a good QB like Palmer last year, they would have been a 10+ win squad easily! I'm happy for Fitzy as well cause he's finally in a great position. In a Bruce Arians vertical offense with a really good , accurate QB in Palmer throwing to him. Fitzy in this offense will easily break 1400+ yard's again and 12-14 TDs. This year will be a good year for the Cardinals! Just watch!

• Upvote 1

After seeing the possibilities of what that Cardinals defense can do at the beginning of last season, I don't know how the expectations couldn't be high. Carson Palmer had one hell of a season last year considering who he was throwing to, and how many times he was laying on his back. I'm not sure the addition of Mendenhall will make a huge difference to that offense, but if Ryan Williams can actually stay healthy, I think they could be solid. Obviously having Fitzgerald certainly helps any quarterback. If the Cardinals can't notch 9 or 10 wins, I think there will be a lot of answers needed in Arizona. Then again, while 9 or 10 wins sounds right for a team with the talent they have on defense, that will probably be a really tough thing to accomplish as well with the Seahawks and the 49ers in the division. Who knows. Palmer needs to produce, and he NEEDS to stop turning the ball over. Cut down on his turnovers, and he could be a pro bowl quarterback.

I expect the Cards to make significant improvement this year. Fitzgerald is still at the top of his game. Housler/Roberts look like real weapons. Even Floyd, who had a pretty miserable start, looked like he was worth a day one pick by season's end.

It really is hard to understate how awful their QB play was. About as difficult as defining how poor their OL play was. They improved both aspects dramatically. And some of those depth players who were thrust into starting roles gained a lot of experience and quality as the season wore on.

I think that team was just mentally in a fetal position due to the hopelessness of their QB play. I can easily imagine, as it looked like you had 3 Charlie Whitehurst's vying for a starting gig all year long. That defense is a quality defense still. I would not be surprised to see the Cards mathematically in the hunt in the final month of the season, with home games against the Rams/Niners and a road tilt against the Hawks in that span.

Finishing at Seattle and hosting SF is a tough way to end the season. But not nearly as tough as how they open it:

@Rams

Lions

@Saints

@Bucs

Panthers

@SF

Seahawks

Falcons

If they get through that, they have a shot. They probably need to go 4-4 to the bye in order to matter in December.

I expect the Cards to make significant improvement this year. Fitzgerald is still at the top of his game. Housler/Roberts look like real weapons. Even Floyd, who had a pretty miserable start, looked like he was worth a day one pick by season's end.

It really is hard to understate how awful their QB play was. About as difficult as defining how poor their OL play was. They improved both aspects dramatically. And some of those depth players who were thrust into starting roles gained a lot of experience and quality as the season wore on.

I think that team was just mentally in a fetal position due to the hopelessness of their QB play. I can easily imagine, as it looked like you had 3 Charlie Whitehurst's vying for a starting gig all year long. That defense is a quality defense still. I would not be surprised to see the Cards mathematically in the hunt in the final month of the season, with home games against the Rams/Niners and a road tilt against the Hawks in that span.

Finishing at Seattle and hosting SF is a tough way to end the season. But not nearly as tough as how they open it:

@Rams

Lions

@Saints

@Bucs

Panthers

@SF

Seahawks

Falcons

If they get through that, they have a shot. They probably need to go 4-4 to the bye in order to matter in December.

I agree with this logic. The Cardinals did improve in their two worst areas last year which was QB and OL. Palmer had a good year last year. He was top 10 in passing (over 4,000 yards) with the receivers that the Raiders. I expect him to do better having a better arsenal at his disposal. Arians with Palmer will be an interesting dynamic. They had a top 10 defense last year but Ray Horton is gone. Who knows how they will play this year but they do have a very talented defense. I could see the Cardinals being in race for play off contention this year. I actually believe they may surprise some teams and be a dark horse.

After 2012 tape study, ESPN's Ron Jaworski came away with a favorable opinion of Carson Palmer, but believes "the major concern" for Palmer in Arizona will be a suspect offensive line.

"Suspect" is probably kind. The Cardinals are so desperate for line help that they drafted a guard with the seventh overall pick; no guard had previously gone top-ten since Chris Naeole in 1997. Jaws believes Palmer still has "very good arm strength" at age 33 and "will fit well in (Bruce) Arians' aggressive downfield passing game," but at this stage of his career "needs time and functional space." He won't have much of that behind Arizona's leaky front five.

To what I said on page 1

AzCardinals.com considers TE Rob Housler the team's most likely breakout candidate.

Reporter Darren Urban predicts Housler could snag upwards of 60 passes after posting a 45/417/0 line in 2012. That may be on the conservative side for some of Housler's biggest backers, but would still put him squarely in the TE1 conversation. New coach Bruce Arians has called the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Housler a "wideout playing tight end," and believes "the sky is the limit as far as where he can get talent-wise."

Source: azcardinals.com