Sign in to follow this  
NaTaS

Adrian Peterson: Gay marriage 'not something I believe in'

via NFL.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- NFL MVP Adrian Peterson says he has family members who are gay whom he loves and respects. But on gay marriage, the Minnesota Vikings running back says "that's not something I believe in."

Peterson made his comments in a recent interview with Sirius/XM NFL radio. He was asked his thoughts on theVikings cutting longtime punter Chris Kluwe, an outspoken advocate for gay rights and gay marriage.

Peterson says he considers Kluwe a good friend. He says: "I have relatives who are gay. I'm not biased towards them. I still treat them the same. I love 'em. But again, I'm not with that. That's not something I believe in. But to each his own."

Gay marriage will become legal in Minnesota on Aug. 1.

Because...offseason. Can someone not believe in gay marriage, but treat gay's the same as everyone else? Isn't that a little hypocritical? I can dig his opinion, but if you don't agree to gay marriage, then you can't treat them equally. It's like saying "I don't agree blacks should marry white women, but I' not biased towards them". Just an odd statement.

Its kind of the approach i have towards gays. I dont care if two people are gay and together, just keep it away from me. If your gay, it doesnt bother me, its their choice. I only dislike it when its brought to me. Such as getting hit on. Even then im respectful towards em, im just not with it. Same with religion and god. I get offered papers and books on god and jesus. I respectfully say, "naw i dont believe it no thanks". Its like that. Anyone else can say the same? I dont get why i should treat someone different then respectful at first just because they believe in something i dont. Normally, its those people who treat everyone else different. Funny.

• Upvote 2

I am not even sure if that's impossible. Even if it is on a sub-conscious level, there has to be some kind of bias or whatever word you want.

I don't think gay people exist.

:yep:

Yes; you all are taking this out of context.

No; I'm NOT saying this because AP is my favorite player. :ninja:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes; you all are taking this out of context.

No; I'm NOT saying this because AP is my favorite player. :ninja:

What context is it in? I don't think anyone is blowing this up. It's offseason chatter.

What context is it in? I don't think anyone is blowing this up. It's offseason chatter.

My post was just a nonsense comment. :p People on FB are seriously blowing it up, but no one here is doing that.

Edited by Vikingfan465

He's not thinking about it from the correct perspective. Gay couples make up a significant enough percentage of our society, and with them adopting kids now, too, there really is no excuse to deny them the rights that marriage allows.

He's not thinking about it from the correct perspective. Gay couples make up a significant enough percentage of our society, and with them adopting kids now, too, there really is no excuse to deny them the rights that marriage allows.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of those who would deny them that.

But we really need to make it clear that "but I have family/friends that are..." is not an ok excuse for saying shitty stuff.

And 56ace, what do you mean by they should keep it away from you? Should two men not hold hands and kiss when you're around? Or do you mean that you don't want people proselytizing you about homosexuality? Because if its the former, you should just have to deal with it.

Don't worry AD, I don't believe you'll hit 2k yards again either...still love you though :smug:

Unfortunately, there are plenty of those who would deny them that.

But we really need to make it clear that "but I have family/friends that are..." is not an ok excuse for saying shitty stuff.

And 56ace, what do you mean by they should keep it away from you? Should two men not hold hands and kiss when you're around? Or do you mean that you don't want people proselytizing you about homosexuality? Because if its the former, you should just have to deal with it.

The second one blotz. Idc on the first i see it all the time.

The "I have gay family members" seems to be the new "I have black friends."

People have to justify their bigotry somehow, Milla...

He's allowed his opinion, but I do not agree with it. Also the state he plays for legalized it just a couple of weeks ago, so this is awkward timing, but I guess he was asked it out of nowhere. He handled it fine and although I wish he'd have a different opinion, it is different than the morons who jumped on the Collins story. They were being assholes, he was just responding honestly and respectfully to a question.

That said, my state House is likely to vote on marriage equality tomorrow. Fingers crossed my state does the right thing and leads the way like we have done so often in the past on social issues.

what do you mean by significant enough? The percentage of homosexuals is like maybe 2%, if that.

I think morally and from a personal point of view, you can disagree with gay marriage but still be respectful and close towards others who are gay. He's still entitled to agree/disagree with gay marriage but as long as he's still treating those individuals well then I don't have any problem with it.

Its impossible to be against gay marriage from a political standpoint and still treat gay people well.

Its impossible to be against gay marriage from a political standpoint and still treat gay people well.

This is a very ignorant comment!

• Upvote 1

Um, no.

I think.

What do you mean against it from a political standpoint?

As in, believing that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed by the government, as opposed to not allowing it in your specific religion.

Yes you can.

Denying people rights is not "treating them well."

From a political standpoint you can be indifferent. You can say I dont really agree with it and I dont think you should do it, however there are far worse things and it does not effect me.

Now I am for it and I see no reason why they should not be able too. I see it a lot however at least from my perspective in terms of pot.

I dont like it, I dont condone it and I am glad it is illegal. However I have friends who do and they know how I feel about it and yet we get along famously. I vehemently disagree with it, but in the grand scheme of things there are far worse things you can do. Compound that with the fact that I have no room to cast stones on what people do in their personal lives just lead me to a particular stance I think is at lesat comparative to people who feel that way about gay marriage.

They can have the same opinion in the fact they dont like it and dont condone it however they realize that far worse things happen and there is much bigger issues that need their attention. thus they really wont waste their time worrying about something that is just not that big of a deal to them. Now in their perfect world they would not want it, but realize this is far froma perfect world and concessions can be made to practices they dont like if we can turn our attention to something else.

The percentage of homosexuals is relatively small so I can definitely follow the train of thought, "I dont like it, but do it, get it out of the way, and lets move onto something that will effect the masses."

So yes I think you can be politically be against it and yet not really enough so to care enough to bother voting against it if a candidate aligns with ideals you value more.

I'm sorry, but that analogy doesn't work. There is a large difference between telling someone they can't smoke pot and telling someone they can't marry who they like.

• Downvote 1