Favre4Ever

Players Who Never Met Their Potential

It's self explanatory. The thread will be for players who just never got over the hump and became as great as their talent indicated they could be. Whether it was their own diva attitude, off field problems, or injuries that stopped them -- who do you have?

I was watching some highlights for Dutch's thread and came across this guy... Kind of made me sad realizing how truly great he could have bee if he wasn't such an asshole.

I remember watching this kid grow up after being drafted by the Packers... The talent he had was phenomenal, but it all went to his head as he made stops in Denver, Oakland, and Minnesota before calling it quits in the NFL.

Javon Walker.

2003PACKERS-VikingsWalker.jpg

Edited by Favre4Ever

Bo Jackson

13744188_ori.jpg

• Upvote 1

pacman_jones1.jpg

This man was arguably the best punt returner in the league on top of becoming a top 10 corner only 2 years in to his NFL career. He's actually still playing solid ball for the Bengals, from what I've heard(haven't watched much of him), but if he never fucked up off the field, there's no telling what he could have become.

pacman_jones1.jpg

This man was arguably the best punt returner in the league on top of becoming a top 10 corner only 2 years in to his NFL career. He's actually still playing solid ball for the Bengals, from what I've heard(haven't watched much of him), but if he never fucked up off the field, there's no telling what he could have become.

Ya, it wasn't too long ago that he was getting burned by guys on Pros VS Joes. ha :D He is playing solid in Cincy though, from all indications. :yep:

GaleSayers1.jpg

Gale Sayers, injuries killed his career.

On the Javon Walker note, I think seeing a teammate literally die in his lap really hit him hard. He wasn't the same player, nor could he really stay healthy.

Edited by Bucman

For Seattle:

Marcus Tubbs.

This player was an absolute beast of a man. On a team with Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson, he was a guy who was equal to any player on the field. He was virtually unblockable and cartoonishly dominant as a pass rusher.

I saw nearly a carbon copy of a DT Seattle took some 14 years earlier: Cortez Kennedy. Tubbs had more height, less leverage -- but much greater strength, length and a similarly strong base. He struggled his first year due to a lengthy holdout and oddly -- severe homesickness issues.

The next year, much like Kennedy in his second year, he was dominant right from the start of camp. He was injured midway through the season and was unable to play in the postseason.

His third year was likewise cut short after the first month. His fourth ending before the preseason was over.

He was a dominant player at probably the most critical defensive position (interior pass rusher). Our defense in SB XL wasn't half as effective without him in the lineup. It was a very painful 4 seasons of 'when Marcus comes back' discussions.

He would come back after a lengthy absence, be his predictable/dominant self. And then 2 or 3 games later be lost for the season (again). Just active long enough to tantalize Seahawks fans with what might have been.

Maybe its a bit to soon yet? But...Heisman Trophy winner and 2011 #1 draft pick, Mark Ingram? Now will Ingram be yet another Heisman Trophy winner who was destined to be an NFL star, that just never gets the chance to fully blossom? Don't get me wrong it is possible that Ingram could actually contribute more while doing less statistically, considering his role in the Saints prolific pass-first offense. It seems to me he has never materialized. Though it should be noted that it’s not due to a lack of effort on his part, but rather it’s a direct result of how the Saints have chosen to utilize him in their offense. But yet, his role is critical to the Saints success in my personal opinion. And to be honest, this needs to be Ingram’s “break-out” season, statistically or not or its goodbye? :shrug:

mark-ingram-heisman-upiphotos981203.jpg

Maybe its a bit to soon yet? But...Heisman Trophy winner and 2011 #1 draft pick, Mark Ingram? Now will Ingram be yet another Heisman Trophy winner who was destined to be an NFL star, that just never gets the chance to fully blossom? Don't get me wrong it is possible that Ingram could actually contribute more while doing less statistically, considering his role in the Saints prolific pass-first offense. It seems to me he has never materialized. Though it should be noted that it’s not due to a lack of effort on his part, but rather it’s a direct result of how the Saints have chosen to utilize him in their offense. But yet, his role is critical to the Saints success in my personal opinion. And to be honest, this needs to be Ingram’s “break-out” season, statistically or not or its goodbye? :shrug:

mark-ingram-heisman-upiphotos981203.jpg

I think its still a bit early. But I never thought he had much pro potential to begin with.

Martellus Bennett

Sam Bradford

Carson Palmer got derailed by a nasty knee injury

Eh. I forget most of them.

There are a lot of guys who fit this bill, but a few that come to mind recently are:

Titus Young, Vernon Gholston, Sergio Kindle, Sean Taylor (RIP), Jamarcus Russel, Rolando McClain, Glenn Dorsey, Mark Sanchez, and Matt Leinart.

• Upvote 1

Javon Walker.

2003PACKERS-VikingsWalker.jpg

Great pick. I was looking at javon Walker about a month ago saying the same exact thing. It's ashame because he was very talented.

I3iCv9l.jpg

Antonio Bryant is a guy that was very talented imo but never reached his ceiling due to his attitude fighting with his coaches etc. Too much rage. It's ashame because this dude could play ball. He use to make some amazing catches.

Nk4tWji.jpg

Braylon Edwards always had stone hands but he still could have been better than he was. He had play making ability and was always a threat on the field. Never lived up to his potential.

OacJD0M.jpg

Some people are probably surprised at this pick. Randy Moss who is 2nd all time receiving leader in the history of the game. Randy Moss was the first freak that we've seen at the WR position. Athletically gifted beyond measure with blazing speed, great hands, and acrobatic jumping ability but, he never quite lived up to his potential. Everyone has seen those plays, those seasons where Randy Moss's effort came into question. His diva-ish attitude seemed that he was too big for the game sometimes and if Randy Moss wasn't feeling his situation, he didn't put forth much effort. If Randy Moss had the determination / or the focus of a Jerry Rice his entire career, I thin it's safe to say without a doubt that his career would be looking even more amazing than it is now. Some people who are naturally gifted / talented are cocky and don't work very hard and it's safe to say Randy Moss fell into that category at times through his career. But, hard work beats talent, especially if talent doesn't work hard; Jerry Rice is the perfect example of that.

100697brunell_374x500.jpg

Mark Brunell

Used to be a dual threat, led the NFL in passing in 1996 and closed out the #1 seed Denver Broncos in the divisional round with his gifted running ability. In a preseason game in 1997, a year after leading the Jags to the AFC Championship, Giants LB Jessie Armstead took out his knee. It tore the MCL off the bone, tore the PCL, and stretched the ACL to the brink. What made things worse is Brunell's delusional attitude towards healing the injury, and I quote:

Brunell, a deeply religious man, said Tuesday that his faith in God would heal the injury.

Brunell was never the same on the run after that injury. :facepalm:

338548_display_image.jpg?1321333536

Tavian Banks

Drafted in the same draft as Fred Taylor, Tavian Banks was going to be part of Jacksonville's two headed monster of a running attack. BLAZING speed, he ran a 4.28 at his Iowa Pro Day. Elusive, he was a big play back who was to be more the 3rd down back since Fred Taylor struggled in the receiving department, as well as spell Taylor to keep both fresh. Not to mention his KR ability. The guy was flat out electric. He was just starting to get more touches in his second year when Ray Buchanan did this:

"I definitely remember the play," Banks said. "I caught the ball and juked the linebacker and was going out of bounds. I was out of bounds already when (Buchanan) hit me. It was kind of a late hit."

It was a devastating hit. As Banks lay writhing in pain on the turf, one of the players who came to console him was Dwight, who was a member of the Falcons.

"I tore everything," Banks said. "I tore all three ligaments in the knee. I had a torn hamstring and a stretched nerve. All that with one hit."

Doctors used ligaments from a cadaver to replace the ones that had been destroyed, but the stretched nerve was a bigger problem. It caused Banks to have a drop step. He could lift his foot off the ground, but couldn't drop it back down.

"I walked around in a boot with a cane for nine months," he said. "I finally went to California for shock treatments on the leg and the nerve eventually grew back.

"I still get tingling sensations in the leg. It's still numb sometimes. I could stick a needle in it and it wouldn't hurt."

He never played in another NFL game.

LAurent Robinson. Master of fluke injuries.

Charles Rogers

Vince Young

Amobi Okoye

Jason Smith

Larry English

And as far as the classic cases...

Kenneth Sims

Art Schlicter

Aundray Bruce

Tony Mandarich

Jeff George

Steve Emtman

Rick Mirer

Heath Shuler

Ki-Jana Carter

Ricky Williams

I actually have met Cadillac in person, his aunt or mother is friends with my family that lived down in Alabama. He's a great guy, and I always felt bad for him since he looked like he was going to be something, and then just the constant injuries derailed him.

cadillac-williams.jpg

Cadillac Williams....he set a record for most rushing yards in the first 3 games of a player's career in NFL history. His shoes sit in Canton for that record. He slowed down a little bit, but still went on to win OROY and show himself as a future star. But the constant knee injuries RUINED the dude's career. I still remember him blowing out his knee just months from returning in the final game of the season against the Raiders and hearing him just scream in pain and disgust, it made me sick to my stomach. He still managed a decent career by working on his blocking and pass catching abilities. Something he was criticized for during his early successful times.

Good pick. Cadillac was a problem before his injuries. I saw him being a very productive player. +1 excluding the Canton comment.

Good pick. Cadillac was a problem before his injuries. I saw him being a very productive player. +1 excluding the Canton comment.

What about the Canton comment? The shoes he wore in the record breaking 3rd game are literally sitting in an exhibit in Canton. At least they were, I can't say with 100% confidence that they kept them there. But he did have a piece of memorabilia in Canton at one point for sure.

I remember Darrent Williams was becoming one of the leagues best young and talented corners and then gets killed in a fucking drive-by. :sigh:

Edited by Bay

Guest Phailadelphia

Is it too much of a stretch to put TO in this discussion? He was absurdly good but had he had his head on right probably could have been better and gone on to actually win rings.

Is it too much of a stretch to put TO in this discussion? He was absurdly good but had he had his head on right probably could have been better and gone on to actually win rings.

Nah, he probably belongs in this list. Just like Randy Moss... So insanely talented, and still so insanely good. It makes you wonder what they could have been without all of the other distractions. :think:

Nah, he probably belongs in this list. Just like Randy Moss... So insanely talented, and still so insanely good. It makes you wonder what they could have been without all of the other distractions. :think:

Yeah if Moss and TO had the brain of an Andre, Calvin, or Fitz... Who knows how good they could have been!

Peyton Manning :smug: