DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

NBA Offseason thread

Welp, for those of us who aren't in the playoffs. haha.

Start it off with George Karl's exit.

NBA Coach of the Year George Karl won't return to the Denver Nuggets next season, team president Josh Kroenke confirmed in an email to The Associated Press.

Karl, who is in the final year of his contract, wanted to extend his deal but the Nuggets balked at the request, Yahoo! Sports reported, citing a league source.

In NBA history, 41 teams have won at least 31 of their final 40 games in an 82-game season. Only six went on to lose in their first playoff series -- and three were coached by George Karl.

NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com that the Memphis Grizzlies -- who are still deciding whether or not to bring back Lionel Hollins -- will definitely discuss their job with Karl now that he's available.

One of the newest members of the Grizzlies' front office -- Stu Lash -- worked with Karl in Denver.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9348513/denver-nuggets-part-ways-coach-george-karl

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m

In final year of deal, Karl was pushing for a contract extension, and ownership wasn't prepared to give it to him, source tells Y!

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I don't understand why the Grizzles are even discussing whether to bring back Hollins or not. Its pretty obvious he is a great coach and gets the most out of what he has.

The Cavs are still considering Nerlens at #1, basically we draft a player for the 2014 season if we do that. When we could draft McLemore, move Waiters 6th man and attempt to sign Greg Oden.

Guest Phailadelphia

As soon as Karl was fired the Grizz gave him a ring. Interesting that they'd rather have him over Hollins.

I don't understand why the Grizzles are even discussing whether to bring back Hollins or not. Its pretty obvious he is a great coach and gets the most out of what he has.

The Cavs are still considering Nerlens at #1, basically we draft a player for the 2014 season if we do that. When we could draft McLemore, move Waiters 6th man and attempt to sign Greg Oden.

Have you heard any more details on a trade?

Have you heard any more details on a trade?

Nope. I think they Cavs really want Kevin Love, but the TWolves would be fools to trade him. We will probably be stuck at #1 and hopefully won't screw it up.

The Grizzlies FO and Hollins have two completely different ideas of how the team should be ran. The rumor is Hollins has no interest in the statistical analysis the front office wants to use to evaluate players(He's denied that, but most insiders are adamant that he isn't fond of it). John Hollinger, the Grizzlies VP of Basketball Operations, he was the man who came up with the PER stat while working at ESPN.

The feeling is the FO wants to go in a different direction than what Hollins has built. Here's some of Hollins comments on the whole statistic issue, which backs up the insiders comments on him being against the stats analysis:

”I just think we get caught up in the stats. There are some guys that contribute so much that the stats don’t even talk about. A guy running the court, filling the lane 100% of the time is better than having a guy that’s a little more talented that fills the lane 40 percent of the time. That guy filling the lane 100 percent of the time is going to create a shot for somebody else.”

”Analytics has a place. It can’t be the be-all, end-all. I’m still trying to figure out when the Oakland Athletics won a championship with all the analytics they have. It takes talent.“

I think the Grizzlies would be incredibly fucking stupid to let Hollins go. He built us from a lottery team to taking us to a WCF appearance in just 4 full seasons.

The word now is the Nets were denied permission to talk to Hollins, despite reports that said they were allowed..so I dunno where this is headed.

The Grizzlies have a lot of issues to address this year..Hollins being resigned shouldn't be one of those. Still have to worry about resigning Tony Allen. If Bayless is going to stay. Should we trade Z-Bo while his value is still high and get a shooter? Or Keep the Gasol-Randolph duo together and start Pondexter next season over Prince, hope he can consistently bring the offense we're missing like he tried to do for us in the WCF.

The Grizzlies FO could easily take what has the potential to be a championship team with just a couple of minor adjustments and turn it in to a team that's headed straight back to the lottery.

Guest Phailadelphia

Hollins and others need to embrace the statistical revolution. It works. Ask OKC, the Spurs, and numerous other teams. Hell, it even worked in Memphis. The Grizzlies got to the WCF this year.

John Hollinger was all over Denver before this season so it doesn't surprise me that he wants Karl.

I want a guard and a center in this draft.

So.. Dwight Howard... Where does he end up...?

In hell.

You know what would be awesome?

An offseason without Dwight talk.

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

So.. Dwight Howard... Where does he end up...?

Somewhere in Texas.

Complete overhaul in Phoenix. Wooo. If only we could get rid of some of these awful contracts.

What I'd like the Magic to do this offseason.

-Cut Hedo Turkoglu

-Trade Al Harrington for whatever

-Same with Glen Davis, though he should have some sort of value

-Trade Arron Afflalo to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe

-Take Ben McLemore 2nd overall

-???

-Profit

C-Nikola Vucevic

PF-Tobias Harris

SF-Maurice Harkless

SG-Ben McLemore

PG-Eric Bledsoe

That's a solid young starting five to grow with, we'll still struggle next season while putting ourselves in position for talent in a loaded 2014 draft.

Ben McLemore is going to the Cavs :yep:

I want Perkins gone and a scrappy, rebounding center to take his place. Cole Aldrich looked the part with the Kings at the end of the year. Maybe they'll be stupid and let him go. My girlfriend and I were high on the guy after we went to a couple games last April. Good thing we traded him. :sigh:

I've heard that the Bucks have offered a 2 year extension to Ellis. I'm happy he rejected, cause I'm tired of cheering for him while equally hating the Milwaukee Bucks. He needs to leave ASAP.

Also, KD joined Jay-Z's agency thing. Should be cool to see who else follows suite.

Guest Phailadelphia

I want Perkins gone and a scrappy, rebounding center to take his place. Cole Aldrich looked the part with the Kings at the end of the year. Maybe they'll be stupid and let him go. My girlfriend and I were high on the guy after we went to a couple games last April. Good thing we traded him. :sigh:

Me too, but what chance is there of that actually happening? OKC is over the cap (but under the tax) and cutting Perkins wouldn't free up any cap space. We're stuck with him for 2 more seasons unless Presti can find trade value in him.

Ben McLemore is going to the Cavs :yep:

I kinda doubt it, if you guys do pass up on Noel I think Otto Porter is more likely than McLemore.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see McLemore slip a bit. I could totally see the Magic taking Oladipo instead, even though I'd prefer McLemore.

I kinda doubt it, if you guys do pass up on Noel I think Otto Porter is more likely than McLemore.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see McLemore slip a bit. I could totally see the Magic taking Oladipo instead, even though I'd prefer McLemore.

They like McLemore scoring ability and his attitude compliments Irving more than Waiters. Both Waiters and Irving have that dominate personality that want the ball. Waiters could be the primary shooter off the bench in a Harden role.

Noel seems shaky to me. 2 major knee injuries and your basically drafting him for the 2014 season.

Wut.

Jason Kidd is pursuing the Nets' head coaching job and his candidacy has been discussed within the highest levels of the organization, according to Yahoo! Sports.

He has been working to find assistant coaches to help him overcome some of the growing pains. It's interesting and unexpected, but Kidd does have a nice résumé for this not to be totally dismissed. He ranks second on the all-time assist and steal lists to go with his 10-time All-Star nods. Kidd's offenses were some of the most efficient in the NBA during his prime, so it's not a stretch to think he could draw up some plays. The Nets appeared to have Lionel Hollins and Brian Shaw atop their list for now.

Source: Yahoo! Sports

Ya, because his playing career makes for a good resume for head coach? Nah... Get hired as an assistant somewhere for a little while at least.